BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First day of Phase 1 went well transit-wise for the lines I use. The QM1s were running in the morning finally, as many had been missing/cut during lockdown. With more buses running, each run was relatively empty which was good for social distancing. The HOV lane was open again, which kept the ride quick. Definitely a lot more people in midtown at 8:30Am than the ghost town of past few weeks. M15 was still pretty crowded, but that's been the case for 3 weeks already. Ride back to queens was pretty quick. 

For service to East Harlem, consider taking an A/B/C/D or 1/2/3 train to 125 St, then take an M60-SBS or M125 bus.

As petty as people on twitter are, nobody pointed out the brand spanking new M125 that doesn't exist yet? :lol:

I'm not sure if it's a further illustration that people don't care to thoroughly read these notices, or that the MTA's blunders are so commonplace that people are numb to them, or a combination of both, or what.....

I mean, I've personally done just fine throughout the course of life when it came time to devising some alternate commute on the fly, upon being notified of some service disruption.... Just tell me what's f***ed up where & I'll figure out how I want to get around, thanks.... I don't need the MTA's commuting suggestions... Sucks for the tourists & out-of-towners, but any NY-er that actually relies on trip planner (for example) on any consistent basis deserves to get trololololed....

....take an M60-SBS or M125 bus.... JFC.

11 hours ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Nah, I think it’s a mistake. Mta constantly f**ks stuff up.

In this particular case, it's less of a mistake & more of a freudian slip.

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Apparently there’s a code break for the M125. There’s a picture floating around via IG. 

There are codes for all the Bronx redesign changes. It a matter of when they implement it. Earliest I heard was around October.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Don't know what's going on, but we've had five reports in the last three days of express bus drvers in service not wearing face coverings. Decided against reporting these drivers, but Christ. Incredibly reckless. You're dealing with the public, the majority of whom are wearing face coverings, but you aren't, and going back to your family at night, as we are... Smh...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't know what's going on, but we've had five reports in the last three days of express bus drvers in service not wearing face coverings. Decided against reporting these drivers, but Christ. Incredibly reckless. You're dealing with the public, the majority of whom are wearing face coverings, but you aren't, and going back to your family at night, as we are... Smh...

I've been paying attention the amount of people out here protesting without masks...... It's been the vast majority without them.... Apparently coronavirus has taken a backseat to all this protesting/rioting & shit... Whether real or perceived, people are more worried about their shit getting broken into (whether that be a local business, their car, their home, etc)..... And then there's these "phases" or w/e you wanna call them, with which things are set to start opening up in this city.... Long story short, there's a misconception that phase1 = we're clear of the coronavirus.... That's what I say's been going on.

It's immaterial to me, because I've been doing more driving & staying as far the f*** away from people as I can anyway.... No, I don't wanna sign any petition... No, I don't wanna buy a BLM t-shirt.... No, I don't wanna "come join us"..... None of that goofy shit... Keep your distance - 6 feet minimum please & thank you.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I've been paying attention the amount of people out here protesting without masks...... It's been the vast majority without them.... Apparently coronavirus has taken a backseat to all this protesting/rioting & shit... Whether real or perceived, people are more worried about their shit getting broken into (whether that be a local business, their car, their home, etc)..... And then there's these "phases" or w/e you wanna call them, with which things are set to start opening up in this city.... Long story short, there's a misconception that phase1 = we're clear of the coronavirus.... That's what I say's been going on.

It's immaterial to me, because I've been doing more driving & staying as far the f*** away from people as I can anyway.... No, I don't wanna sign any petition... No, I don't wanna buy a BLM t-shirt.... No, I don't wanna "come join us"..... None of that goofy shit... Keep your distance - 6 feet minimum please & thank you.

Ironically,  some drivers in the advocacy group complained at first that the (MTA) had no masks or gloves for them and we advocated for them to get them. Now they have them and  don't want to wear them

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As petty as people on twitter are, nobody pointed out the brand spanking new M125 that doesn't exist yet? :lol:

I'm not sure if it's a further illustration that people don't care to thoroughly read these notices, or that the MTA's blunders are so commonplace that people are numb to them, or a combination of both, or what.....

I mean, I've personally done just fine throughout the course of life when it came time to devising some alternate commute on the fly, upon being notified of some service disruption.... Just tell me what's f***ed up where & I'll figure out how I want to get around, thanks.... I don't need the MTA's commuting suggestions... Sucks for the tourists & out-of-towners, but any NY-er that actually relies on trip planner (for example) on any consistent basis deserves to get trololololed....

....take an M60-SBS or M125 bus.... JFC.

In this particular case, it's less of a mistake & more of a freudian slip.

Something I was taught as a child. There's always another route home if your primary is blocked. Motor Instructor told my school car class of conductors " people are getting dumber by the day. Next thing you know the C/R will have to take you to your front door" 😀

19 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

First day of Phase 1 went well transit-wise for the lines I use. The QM1s were running in the morning finally, as many had been missing/cut during lockdown. With more buses running, each run was relatively empty which was good for social distancing. The HOV lane was open again, which kept the ride quick. Definitely a lot more people in midtown at 8:30Am than the ghost town of past few weeks. M15 was still pretty crowded, but that's been the case for 3 weeks already. Ride back to queens was pretty quick. 

Happy to hear that. We have returned to tracking lines again and will resume logging in the coming weeks.

21 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ironically, some drivers in the advocacy group complained at first that the (MTA) had no masks or gloves for them and we advocated for them to get them. Now they have them and don't want to wear them.

I can think of several reasons off top as to why that would be the case... The two I'll run with for now are [initially perturbed with masks/gloves being an actual requisite for the job], and/or [they've gotten too comfortable with the front portion of the bus being blocked off, over time].....

Generally speaking to the former, one thing that absolutely pisses me off about any employer/workplace, is not being given the proper tools for the job... Makes it too easy to pin any failures on its workforce.... I have walked off of assignments in the past due to that BS, but that's neither here, nor there.....

17 hours ago, Missabassie said:

Been noticing a lot more bus-stop blocking since this corona-thingy.... Yes its always been an issue, but its gotten much worse from March onward.

I've noticed that also - but as an aside, one thing I'll give any b/o all the credit in the world for, is constantly having to rely on their mirrors..... That would drive me nuts to drive 6,7,8,9+ miles in one direction (alone), pulling out of 'x' amount of curbside stops along the way.... That aspect of the profession is severely underestimated (and IMO, nerve-wracking).... Vast majority of motorists are not defensive drivers.

19 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Something I was taught as a child. There's always another route home if your primary is blocked. Motor Instructor told my school car class of conductors " people are getting dumber by the day. Next thing you know the C/R will have to take you to your front door" 😀

I'd say it's actually worse than simple stupidity... I'll explain.

I find that far too many commuters put all their eggs in one basket (so to speak)..... I'd even go as far as to say that it likely stems from having a severely poor sense of direction.... I used to chuckle at it, but these days I just find it straight up sad when people run around like chickens with their heads cut off when "their" (rail) line for example, has been delayed to the point of suspension..... Frantically pacing around frenetically to the point of mental & physical exhaustion (I've literally seen people have anxiety attacks at PABT, Penn, Atlantic Terminal, LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Mineola).... I have a story for each of those incidences, but to sum it up, that's what happens when you pigeonhole yourself...

I understand that the general public aren't/wouldn't be as privy as someone that's been a public transit enthusiast (and somewhat of a cartophile) since childhood, but like come on....

But yup, to your ultimate point, there's a saying that goes "all roads lead to Rome" - and boy, does it apply here.

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Generally speaking to the former, one thing that absolutely pisses me off about any employer/workplace, is not being given the proper tools for the job... Makes it too easy to pin any failures on its workforce.... I have walked off of assignments in the past due to that BS, but that's neither here, nor there.....

Luna Park is famous for this. I've had so much frustration due to lack of tools. 

Hey guys. It has been awhile since I last commented on any thread. But anyways, I haven’t done train/bus fanning since March 10th. The day before the WHO declared the Coronavirus a pandemic. The last route I did was the Q48. It was an Orion VII NG #4217. That route was great and the operator was quick. Just wanted to make a comment on this thread.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Speaking of the M125...

All credit goes to transit sylveon hitomi & Willf40ph for the content.

I have a suggestion for the forum here....

Being that we have the heart, the thank you, the confused, the +rep, the laughter, and the sobbing post reactions, maybe we should add 1 more reaction - One for a facepalm....

wA3JsR2.png can be used for the icon.... because AFAIC, it applies here.

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Luna Park is famous for this. I've had so much frustration due to lack of tools. 

I believe you.

Another way these workplaces now are setting people up to fail, is by piling duties onto its workers that have absolutely nothing to do with their trade/area of expertise.... Then charging/shaming you with not being a team player & having a go-getter type of attitude (among other things)... I hear of people getting let go, due to that a lot.... What it is, is that they want a jack-of-all-trades in the workplace, without paying people a "jack-of-all-trades" salary; aka cutting down on overhead, aka being Cheap....

Any employer making sob stories about not finding good workers mindless, spineless ass-kissers, I don't feel sorry for.

1 hour ago, MTAbus677 said:

Hey guys. It has been awhile since I last commented on any thread. But anyways, I haven’t done train/bus fanning since March 10th. The day before the WHO declared the Coronavirus a pandemic. The last route I did was the Q48. It was an Orion VII NG #4217. That route was great and the operator was quick. Just wanted to make a comment on this thread.

Well, enjoy the Q48 while you can - because if what's being proposed in the Queens bus network redesign gets the green light, airport service out of Flushing will become part of the Q50.

Edited by B35 via Church

Does anybody know if the Eagle Team still does inspections ever since the local buses became free? Yes, I know you still gotta pay on SBS but if nobody is enforcing that fare....

I try to avoid the SBS only because the machines you put your Metrocard in are garbage and there's a good chance your card will get messed up using those machines.

Somewhat related, I know of someone (pre pandemic) who farebeated on the SBS and the eagle team cought him, when the eagle team took off of the bus, he took off running! They didn't bother to chase him so he pretty much got away with it LMAO

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Does anybody know if the Eagle Team still does inspections ever since the local buses became free? Yes, I know you still gotta pay on SBS but if nobody is enforcing that fare....

I try to avoid the SBS only because the machines you put your Metrocard in are garbage and there's a good chance your card will get messed up using those machines.

Somewhat related, I know of someone (pre pandemic) who farebeated on the SBS and the eagle team cought him, when the eagle team took off of the bus, he took off running! They didn't bother to chase him so he pretty much got away with it LMAO

I have been told that they aren't allowed to collect the fare (how true that is I don't know)

I personally haven't seen them around on the B46 SBS but I still put my card in ( I usually take the train in some fashion during the trip)

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd say it's actually worse than simple stupidity... I'll explain.

I find that far too many commuters put all their eggs in one basket (so to speak)..... I'd even go as far as to say that it likely stems from having a severely poor sense of direction.... I used to chuckle at it, but these days I just find it straight up sad when people run around like chickens with their heads cut off when "their" (rail) line for example, has been delayed to the point of suspension..... Frantically pacing around frenetically to the point of mental & physical exhaustion (I've literally seen people have anxiety attacks at PABT, Penn, Atlantic Terminal, LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Mineola).... I have a story for each of those incidences, but to sum it up, that's what happens when you pigeonhole yourself...

I understand that the general public aren't/wouldn't be as privy as someone that's been a public transit enthusiast (and somewhat of a cartophile) since childhood, but like come on....

But yup, to your ultimate point, there's a saying that goes "all roads lead to Rome" - and boy, does it apply here.

The thing is that as urban (or inner suburban) residents, we take for granted that there are generally multiple alternatives. In the suburbs, there are some areas where there's obvious, reasonable alternatives (e.g. @N6 Limited's famous example of a Long Beach resident claiming she was "stranded" in Mineola while an N15 with a "Long Beach" sign passed in the background). But there are a lot of areas where alternatives are difficult to come by (I'm sure you've experienced some of those last trips of the day on SCT where people are frantically trying to make a connection, or realize they already missed the last bus and have to start calling in favors to get a ride home). If someone was stuck at NY Penn Station trying to get to say, Bellport or Port Jefferson (or some far-out suburb in NJ or Orange County where the train runs infrequently even if you can make it to Newark or Hoboken), I could definitely understand feeling stressed. 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The thing is that as urban (or inner suburban) residents, we take for granted that there are generally multiple alternatives. In the suburbs, there are some areas where there's obvious, reasonable alternatives (e.g. @N6 Limited's famous example of a Long Beach resident claiming she was "stranded" in Mineola while an N15 with a "Long Beach" sign passed in the background). But there are a lot of areas where alternatives are difficult to come by (I'm sure you've experienced some of those last trips of the day on SCT where people are frantically trying to make a connection, or realize they already missed the last bus and have to start calling in favors to get a ride home). If someone was stuck at NY Penn Station trying to get to say, Bellport or Port Jefferson (or some far-out suburb in NJ or Orange County where the train runs infrequently even if you can make it to Newark or Hoboken), I could definitely understand feeling stressed. 

If there's anything that's being taken for granted, it's public transportation period (regardless if you live in the city or the suburbs)... This isn't about not expecting people to feel stressed.... What I'm getting at, is that people get way too accustomed to one itinerary/commute & as cliche as it sounds, public transit isn't guaranteed to pan out the way you want it to 100% of the time.... That isn't to say that constant delays should be tolerated, but to expect perfection every single time? Ridiculous.... There's a reason some of us on here got annoyed with that dude Axis (or whatever his name was) that kept bitching about the Q44 & the Q113/4 on here.....

That's the shit some people (urbanites, suburbanites, w/e) are on & that's what I'm speaking on with this.....

Edited by B35 via Church

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I used to chuckle at it, but these days I just find it straight up sad when people run around like chickens with their heads cut off when "their" (rail) line for example, has been delayed to the point of suspension..... Frantically pacing around frenetically to the point of mental & physical exhaustion (I've literally seen people have anxiety attacks at PABT, Penn, Atlantic Terminal, LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Mineola).... I have a story for each of those incidences, but to sum it up, that's what happens when you pigeonhole yourself...

the main complaint I get from other students from my school is "I had to wait an hour just for the <insert line here> to show up," and though cognizant of the delay schedule, people never seem to want to pursue alternatives. idk why tbh, you'd save yourself a lot of time (though with how unpredictable service changes are, maybe staying on that train would be faster, you never know)