BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Was reading an article in today’s Daily News about the new mural on Fulton Street in Bed-Stuy. The article states that bus service will be impacted on the B25 and the B44 routes because of this mural which is painted on Fulton Street between Marcy and Brooklyn Avenues. This location is in front of Restoration Plaza and, correct me if I’m wrong, the B44 doesn’t traverse that location. The B44 route uses New York Avenue and turns away from Marcy Avenue and the mural heading towards Nostrand Avenue. The B43 bookends the mural’s location turning onto Brooklyn Avenue and doesn’t travel on the mural itself. I haven’t been to the neighborhood in quite some time but I figured that the author of the article would have been there because the photographer took the picture accompanying the article. The B25 is the only route impacted IIRC. Makes me wonder how accurate articles about transportation issues in neighborhoods I don’t frequent are. Just venting. If my memory is slipping I can be corrected. Carry on.

14 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Newsrooms are broke these days. Of course the quality's slipping, and it's not just transportation.

Two years ago the Daily News laid off half the newsroom.

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I guess you are right. The sad thing is that either an (MTA) spokesman or a city person was quoted in the story about the bus service. You’d figure that between the author, spokesperson and the photographer someone would get the story right. Thing is that I can pretty much figure out the reroute in my head because the story gave no details. Thanks for the reply. Carry on.

When it comes to certain specificities involving public transportation, NYC-based news television and/or newspaper publications have been inaccurate for the longest.... Usually, they seldom bother mentioning specific route{s}... When they do, this is the result you tend to get.

IDK how many times throughout the course of life I've either heard (on the news) or read (in some paper) the B35 be referenced as the Bx35....

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Also, 3926 is on a flatbed heading to Queens. Spotted via the Triboro Bridge. 

One of the few O7 Nexgen Hybrid's out of Tuskegee, too......

30 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

What is  3926 ? 

Here's an old pic of it:

(credit to the original photographer)11264603015_d3046d4d36_b.jpg

Edited by B35 via Church

On 6/16/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jova42R said:

I'm no expert, but I think the (MTA)'s  acceptance facility is Zerega.

No that's for work on buses after they've been delivered to the MTA. Each manufacturer has their own acceptance facilities in the area which can also do specialized repairs on certain components. Prevost/Nova is in Secaucus and New Flyer/Orion is in JFK.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:29 PM, B35 via Church said:

I'd say it's actually worse than simple stupidity... I'll explain.

I find that far too many commuters put all their eggs in one basket (so to speak)..... I'd even go as far as to say that it likely stems from having a severely poor sense of direction.... I used to chuckle at it, but these days I just find it straight up sad when people run around like chickens with their heads cut off when "their" (rail) line for example, has been delayed to the point of suspension..... Frantically pacing around frenetically to the point of mental & physical exhaustion (I've literally seen people have anxiety attacks at PABT, Penn, Atlantic Terminal, LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Mineola).... I have a story for each of those incidences, but to sum it up, that's what happens when you pigeonhole yourself...

I understand that the general public aren't/wouldn't be as privy as someone that's been a public transit enthusiast (and somewhat of a cartophile) since childhood, but like come on....

But yup, to your ultimate point, there's a saying that goes "all roads lead to Rome" - and boy, does it apply here.

Heard one person complain on one of the holidays they stop the ferry for fireworks. "How AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO NEW DORP?!?!?!"

Like why don't these folks know about the Express Buses or (R) to 86th and either S bus over the bridge...

But I'm also the jerk that when a NYer is looking at the map and asking something stupid like "How do I get to Times Square?" that I'll tell the long way just because.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

What’s the status of JFK units 6519, 6541, 6543, 6550, 6601? I haven’t seen those units running in a little while, not sure if they’re being maintained or were retired.

They are good, jfk has been running they're  2005 units lately  it's  just not all of them is out all the time and plus recently more come out since the rush hour so yeah and the Q10 is using them again as well which is good so yeah but with the extra buses they put on the routes the easier those units can be worked on to be put on the street's. 

Morning fellas, just wanted to give y'all  and update but currently we have a 2018 Nova Bus LFS Smart Bus Artic #5487 from FB Depot and was ghosting  the B82 it was seen by me yesterday  as it was all over flatlands and Spring creek Seaview Avenue, then it had made it's  way up to gateway mall to do some runs over they're , so I guess we can see they are getting a early taste of the B82 artic preparation for the future, I honestly  can't  wait for when the B82 becomes  Articulated as it's  one of my home routes but overall it was still cool to see something different  over their on flatlands.

8 hours ago, Deucey said:

Heard one person complain on one of the holidays they stop the ferry for fireworks. "How AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO NEW DORP?!?!?!"

Like why don't these folks know about the Express Buses or (R) to 86th and either S bus over the bridge...

But I'm also the jerk that when a NYer is looking at the map and asking something stupid like "How do I get to Times Square?" that I'll tell the long way just because.

I'm inclined to agree - However, I don't expect the general public to be privy to express buses, because the MTA does an embarrassingly poor job when it comes to advertising them.....

Aside from that, gotta love the ones that ask for directions - you tell them the directions - then they go off & ask someone else if they don't like what they hear..... At that point, I'm like, f*** you too.... It isn't my fault if you're in Times Square (for example) and wish to get somewhere no where near it in less than 10 minutes on one mode....

....Speaking of which, good luck trying to get most people asking for directions to understand the concept of having to take more than one mode to get somewhere..... They look at you like you have three heads, even when you tell them which routes to take, where to catch them at, and where to get off..... I get that time is money (quote-unquote) - but if me telling you that you have to take [some bus to a train], [some train to a bus], [two buses], or [two trains] to get somewhere amounts to an *information overload*, then you have other problems than simply seeking directions.....

If someone randomly blurts out a "How do I get to (wherever)", initially, I'll just blurt out something like "gotta take the (insert route here)" - with the assumption that that person knows that he/she has to take another bus or train to get to some destination.... I find that to be rather commonplace whenever I'm out taking buses out in New Jersey..... But if it involves more than one mode, I typically won't say shit, unless the person approaches/asks me directly.... I'm only going to engage in asshattery if someone approaches me snarkily, or with some f***ed up type of attitude... Have fun taking a ride on a] whole 'nother train or bus, and b] in the completely opposite direction at that...... Amazing how some people can be in a position of need & still be emboldened & entitled.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...Speaking of which, good luck trying to get most people asking for directions to understand the concept of having to take more than one mode to get somewhere..... They look at you like you have three heads, even when you tell them which routes to take, where to catch them at, and where to get off..... I get that time is money (quote-unquote) - but if me telling you that you have to take [some bus to a train], [some train to a bus], [two buses], or [two trains] to get somewhere amounts to an *information overload*, then you have other problems than simply seeking directions.....

YOOOOOOO....

One time during 20 minute overnight service this lady is asking how to avoid waiting at BG for 20 minutes for the (4) since she just missed it. I tell her take (4) to Borough Hall or Nevins (it's arriving in 5 minutes) and then get on the uptown train.

This lady ends up shouting that that makes no sense. (we're outside the museum). Asks hella other folks - I'm waiting smoking a cig and killing time cuz the yacht was on hourly service back then - and ends up missing the next (4) because she spent 20 minutes arguing.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

YOOOOOOO....

One time during 20 minute overnight service this lady is asking how to avoid waiting at BG for 20 minutes for the (4) since she just missed it. I tell her take (4) to Borough Hall or Nevins (it's arriving in 5 minutes) and then get on the uptown train.

This lady ends up shouting that that makes no sense. (we're outside the museum). Asks hella other folks - I'm waiting smoking a cig and killing time cuz the yacht was on hourly service back then - and ends up missing the next (4) because she spent 20 minutes arguing.

Case in point.

Clearly this character valued arguing with people, over truly getting to wherever the hell it was she was trying to get to quicker.... When it starts getting into a "which is faster" sort of ordeal, go ask someone else..... Hell, you see what happens when a question of sorts is asked on these forums alone.... It's enough dealing with people's belligerence online, let alone offline.

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

“Justice is self-serve at this location.”

4KABrwz.png

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm inclined to agree - However, I don't expect the general public to be privy to express buses, because the MTA does an embarrassingly poor job when it comes to advertising them.....

Aside from that, gotta love the ones that ask for directions - you tell them the directions - then they go off & ask someone else if they don't like what they hear..... At that point, I'm like, f*** you too.... It isn't my fault if you're in Times Square (for example) and wish to get somewhere no where near it in less than 10 minutes on one mode....

....Speaking of which, good luck trying to get most people asking for directions to understand the concept of having to take more than one mode to get somewhere..... They look at you like you have three heads, even when you tell them which routes to take, where to catch them at, and where to get off..... I get that time is money (quote-unquote) - but if me telling you that you have to take [some bus to a train], [some train to a bus], [two buses], or [two trains] to get somewhere amounts to an *information overload*, then you have other problems than simply seeking directions.....

If someone randomly blurts out a "How do I get to (wherever)", initially, I'll just blurt out something like "gotta take the (insert route here)" - with the assumption that that person knows that he/she has to take another bus or train to get to some destination.... I find that to be rather commonplace whenever I'm out taking buses out in New Jersey..... But if it involves more than one mode, I typically won't say shit, unless the person approaches/asks me directly.... I'm only going to engage in asshattery if someone approaches me snarkily, or with some f***ed up type of attitude... Have fun taking a ride on a] whole 'nother train or bus, and b] in the completely opposite direction at that...... Amazing how some people can be in a position of need & still be emboldened & entitled.

I remember when I was a brand new conductor in my spanking new uniform.  Standing on the Grand Central Shuttle platform on a Saturday afternoon talking with a school car instructor and his wife who were passing through the area.. A guy rushes over to me with his family in tow and asks me how to get to Times Square. I tell him to take the arriving shuttle and he tells me " that's not what the other people said ". I was speechless when the instructor told him the exact same thing and the guy was satisfied. The instructor's wife told me not to be discouraged because she used to be a railroad clerk,  today's station agent, and it was a commonplace thing. I learned my lesson from her and tried to be professional in my dealings with passengers from that day until I retired. When I went to M/M it seemed like every few months service on the BMT South,  the Brooklyn routes,  would have power issues causing all service to be shutdown. My C/R and I would make announcements from 59th street and Lexington to Franklin Avenue telling our riders how to get around Brooklyn during those outages. We'd give them bus routes that would correspond to the subway lines that were out. We got so good at it that we became " Transit Ambassadors " which was a program that acknowledged our professional operation. Those riders and supervisors were in sharp contrast to some of the self important ,rude and clueless people who demanded attention. My memories.  YMMV.  Carry on. 

Let me put in my memories. This was like 2003 or 4. When I was in college, this guy asked me how does he get to Chelsea Piers. I told him take a train to 23 street and take the M23 bus. He told me he doesn't want to take the bus. So he's under the impression that there's a train at or near Chelsea Piers. Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I'm at downtown Orlando trying to get home. The lady asks me, how come there's no time displays for her route, I tell her it's not running at this time. She accuses me of lying

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I remember when I was a brand new conductor in my spanking new uniform.  Standing on the Grand Central Shuttle platform on a Saturday afternoon talking with a school car instructor and his wife who were passing through the area.. A guy rushes over to me with his family in tow and asks me how to get to Times Square. I tell him to take the arriving shuttle and he tells me " that's not what the other people said ". I was speechless when the instructor told him the exact same thing and the guy was satisfied. The instructor's wife told me not to be discouraged because she used to be a railroad clerk,  today's station agent, and it was a commonplace thing. I learned my lesson from her and tried to be professional in my dealings with passengers from that day until I retired. When I went to M/M it seemed like every few months service on the BMT South,  the Brooklyn routes,  would have power issues causing all service to be shutdown. My C/R and I would make announcements from 59th street and Lexington to Franklin Avenue telling our riders how to get around Brooklyn during those outages. We'd give them bus routes that would correspond to the subway lines that were out. We got so good at it that we became " Transit Ambassadors " which was a program that acknowledged our professional operation. Those riders and supervisors were in sharp contrast to some of the self important ,rude and clueless people who demanded attention. My memories.  YMMV.  Carry on. 

Way to go the extra mile there.... Although it does raise the question though of, how many T/O's & C/R's know the bus network in this city, and how many B/O's know the subway system & the bus network (outside of the routes of the depot they currently operate out of).... Not to say that they should, but what I'm getting at is, how many B/O's, T/O's, or C/R's would be able to do something like that on a whim.....

47 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Let me put in my memories. This was like 2003 or 4. When I was in college, this guy asked me how does he get to Chelsea Piers. I told him take a train to 23 street and take the M23 bus. He told me he doesn't want to take the bus. So he's under the impression that there's a train at or near Chelsea Piers.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I'm at downtown Orlando trying to get home. The lady asks me, how come there's no time displays for her route, I tell her it's not running at this time. She accuses me of lying

1st scenario: A simple "you're going to have to walk then" would've came out of my mouth afterwards..... It's like people expect you to speak things into existence or something...

2nd scenario: That's when you shrug your shoulders & just walk off.... Again, it all goes back to people hearing what they want to hear, instead of dealing with the truth and acting/reacting accordingly... Last thing I'm going to do is sit up there & try to argue down someone that's telling me the route I need, isn't running.....

This is how EVERY Xcelsior should've had their screen placements, and all with Version 2 or Version 4 (one small screen behind the driver, wide screen lined up with the beginning of the rear door). 

None of that backwards facing screen nonsense. 

Note: This bus ALSO sounds GOOD, MTA should've modified their Xcelsiors to sound like this as well. CT knows best! 

22 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This is how EVERY Xcelsior should've had their screen placements, and all with Version 2 or Version 4 (one small screen behind the driver, wide screen lined up with the beginning of the rear door). 

None of that backwards facing screen nonsense. 

Note: This bus ALSO sounds GOOD, MTA should've modified their Xcelsiors to sound like this as well. CT knows best! 

Well.... CT Transit's Xcelsiors actually use highways and it's a statewide agency. Of course they won't modify their transmissions as much as we do. There's also less stop & go action in CT overall.

And in terms of sounds....those still sound pretty bland. Our 4800s sound better.

Edited by Cait Sith

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Someone care to compile a list of intraborough local routes that utilizes a highway.....

There might be another that I'm forgetting at the moment, but here's a list of routes:

Bronx: Bx5, Bx23, Bx29

Brooklyn: B103

Queens: Q3, Q10, Q88

Manhattan: M98 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Someone care to compile a list of intraborough local routes that utilizes a highway.....

B83, B103, Q10, Q3, Q70, Q88, Bx5, Bx23, Bx29, M98. There's plenty more routes that utilize highways, but you asked for intraborough. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
B15 is not an intraborough route lol.