BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Good to know. Glad I don’t live in Long Island. I listened to Foye’s press conference yesterday and he didn’t make no indication with regards to fare revenue collection on local buses again. 

Only SBS, Subway and Express are still subject to fare revenue collection. Correct. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2020 at 12:13 PM, Q43LTD said:

Let me put in my memories. This was like 2003 or 4. When I was in college, this guy asked me how does he get to Chelsea Piers. I told him take a train to 23 street and take the M23 bus. He told me he doesn't want to take the bus. So he's under the impression that there's a train at or near Chelsea Piers. Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I'm at downtown Orlando trying to get home. The lady asks me, how come there's no time displays for her route, I tell her it's not running at this time. She accuses me of lying

This is why I've adopted the philosophy of only telling tourists how to get around NYC.

Everyone else can get lost.

(Excuse the pun.)

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Good to know. Glad I don’t live in Long Island. I listened to Foye’s press conference yesterday and he didn’t make no indication with regards to fare revenue collection on local buses again. 

Only SBS, Subway and Express are still subject to fare revenue collection. Correct. 

Yep (although I seriously question how much of it is actually going on with the SBS')...

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep (although I seriously question how much of it is actually going on with the SBS')...

NONE. Literally, I've had multiple people tell me "You don't have to pay for that", meanwhile, the MTA never said that SBS was free, the machines are still on for a reason, and I told each person that SBS wasn't free, and they still didn't pay afterwards. Shows how much people pay attention, but when eagle team hits, it'll be a different story.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

NONE. Literally, I've had multiple people tell me "You don't have to pay for that", meanwhile, the MTA never said that SBS was free, the machines are still on for a reason, and I told each person that SBS wasn't free, and they still didn't pay afterwards. Shows how much people pay attention, but when eagle team hits, it'll be a different story.

I'm not paying for the local bus. I've only used local buses about four or so times since this pandemic hit. I opted for the M15 local one day after getting the BxM1 down, as one was coming when I reached 2nd Avenue, so I didn't bother getting an Uber.  Moved quickly for the short ride, and coming back, I got an Uber to the express bus. Think about it... SBS is basically pre-paying for the service, so you just get on. Now what do you do on the non SBS lines? You just get on, so why pay for the same service? The only difference is you may make a few more stops. Big deal.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Is the eagle team even still doing rounds since the pandemic hit?

I've had a station agent straight up tell me to walk though the gate when all the MVM in this particular station was broke. I have an reduced fare card (those with reduced fare cards can still pay with cash at the booth) I showed her my card and she directed me to walk though the gate and I did lol

Off topic, but B42 riders get a free subway ride since B42 riders don't have to swipe to transfer to the (L) train:D I've been abusing the hell out of that loophole.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

Eagle team is a joke. They are hardly around hence why lots of people just board without paying. If they were more consistent with their check ins people would probably be paying the fare more. 

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

NONE. Literally, I've had multiple people tell me "You don't have to pay for that".....

Exactly what I was getting at.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Is the eagle team even still doing rounds since the pandemic hit?

Haven't heard about or seen one instance of them doing so.... Quite sure it would've made twitter if they were.

40 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Eagle team is a joke. They are hardly around hence why lots of people just board without paying. If they were more consistent with their check ins people would probably be paying the fare more. 

Fare compliance/payment is something I'm going to be "paying" special attention to, whenever it goes back into effect.... Of course way less people stood to be actually affected by what I'm about to mention, but one thing's for sure - It's not going to be as seamless as when the (brief) overnight curfew was lifted.....

The faux military Eagle Team will be grinning from ear to ear when the green light is given to run amuck.

9 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Today I saw three Bx12 SBS buses bunching down the hill on Fordham. First bus in particular had zero social distancing.

we are back to normal, ladies and gentlemen.

Quiet is as kept, in that regard, we've been back.... IDK how many crushloaded SBS B46's I've seen this past calendar month alone.

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Off topic, but B42 riders get a free subway ride since B42 riders don't have to swipe to transfer to the (L) train:D I've been abusing the hell out of that loophole.

Quite frankly anyone in the area of Rockaway park also has a free ride onto the train too. The whole lot where the buses enter are free for all walks of life to just walk in. What a waste of time and money. 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

(MTA) always doing things inside out. No wonder why Flatbush sending buses to CS and CS sending buses to LGA for Q53 supplemental and since the beaches are officially open 7/1 this is the perfect time to do this. 
Summertime picks are the worse especially in Brooklyn Division. 

6122 at Stengel. Currently in Jamaica. 

Any idea why they can't just send the buses from FB to LGA?

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/city-beaches-to-open-to-swimmers-july-1-city-spokesperson-says?fbclid=IwAR1t0KNYxTFihId7flGrPReekV5zOJh-HG5hzGzFcOl2AVnLVgOAulyEx04

Beaches are indeed reopening, for swimmers that is and more guests.  Expect Bx12, Q53 riders etc. with coolers, sunscreen and umbrellas.

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/city-beaches-to-open-to-swimmers-july-1-city-spokesperson-says?fbclid=IwAR1t0KNYxTFihId7flGrPReekV5zOJh-HG5hzGzFcOl2AVnLVgOAulyEx04

Beaches are indeed reopening, for swimmers that is and more guests.  Expect Bx12, Q53 riders etc. with coolers, sunscreen and umbrellas.

Expect petty squabbles to break out, with people bringing all that shit onto the buses too.... Something about social distancing & taking up too much space on the bus (with the  limited amt. of space on the buses now as it is) - never mind the irony of going to a beach, loaded with hundreds upon hundreds of people..... Generally speaking, beaches are a very easy place to get sick at.

At least Bx12's & Q53's are articulated... As for the Q35 however, lol.gif

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Any idea why they can't just send the buses from FB to LGA?

The distance between LGA and CS is far closer than the distance between FB and LGA.....

Also, if those buses needed work that LGA can't do, they can easily be sent back over to CS.

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

I noticed this year as Stengel's XD-60s are at LGA for summer, it's not out of Quill like last year. I thought the XE-60s gave a boost on spare factor out of Quill. 

Not all of them are even in service, and the XD60s were from Stengel last year.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 6/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, Lawrence St said:

I saw a post that said MTA and NICE were returning to collecting fares on buses starting Saturday, is this true?

I think MTA's going to go straight to OMNY for the buses. We may have very well dipped our cards for the final time on local buses.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Saw on the news that bus Ridership has went up since Phase 2 started, how they do know that if most of the buses in the city is still free?

I mean all you really have to do is just look at the buses themselves along the routes. Plus with thousands of people now able to go back to work it is really no surprise that ridership is up. 

Yesterday I was waiting for a b12 the driver would not let me on stating that it was to full. But that’s not fair. Someone got off .Why can’t a take her place and get on? That is not right and I think I, going to report it. Is there any reason it was ok? Please sound away 

5 hours ago, Abba said:

Yesterday I was waiting for a b12 the driver would not let me on stating that it was to full. But that’s not fair. Someone got off .Why can’t a take her place and get on? That is not right and I think I, going to report it. Is there any reason it was ok? Please sound away 

Did you a favor IMO. I wouldn't want to be on a packed bus. 

7 hours ago, Abba said:

How full was the bus? It’s not safe being on a crowded bus during this time, especially if the front is blocked off.