BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Seems like Grand Avenue and LaGuardia are the only depots that have always held onto their original 2015 NFI XD40s. Casey Stengel for the most part as well, other than the time 7401 was sent to East New York.

GA has sent an XD40 to Quill(7205). It entered service on the M9 and a few other routes. I believe they sent like 3-4 of them.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Seems like Grand Avenue and LaGuardia are the only depots that have always held onto their original 2015 NFI XD40s. Casey Stengel for the most part as well, other than the time 7401 was sent to East New York.

Agreed, about Casey Stengel and LGA. Interesting, that the option order units barely moved to other depots, only as loaners. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes me wonder how long this deep cleaning program will last, because as covid-19 continues to die down and time passes I feel like the cleanings will be the first thing that gets cut. I feel like they will justify the reduction in cleanings because the virus was taken care of and doesn’t pose a major threat to us anymore. I will say that it has been pleasant being on trains that didn’t smell like butt and sweat and instead you can actually smell soap and rubbing alcohol. Buses look and smell better too so I hope they could keep doing these cleanings long term. 

Let's see what happens when your next president gets elected/re-elected....

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

https://new.mta.info/document/18036

Interesting to see on the timetable: The B99 will make stops along Canal St, Chinatown.Makes me think to myself that it brought back part of the B51 route. 

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I wish they would run this route 24/7. Personally, I still don’t feel comfortable riding the subway. They should also bring back the B51.

The B51 was one of the first things that came to mind, when I first heard about the overnight subway shutdown.... To this day, I've held the sentiment that if the B39 continued to exist, then so should have the B51..... Long underestimated route, and it was actually increasing in ridership when they cut it !

-------------------

Anyway, I'm going to take a walk down to the Junction around 2am tonight or so, to try to catch one of the 3am hour trips...  Don't want to ride the first trip.

Edited by B35 via Church

The MTA really should visit the idea of an overnight bus network...the B99 being one route as a trunk.  Others I would propose are:

All Jamaica Center routes: extended to Sutphin and Archer to connect with the Q60.

Q12 (extension): operating to 61/Woodside (7)...Q48 stops to 111 Street, subway stops only to 61 Street.

Q35 (extension): operating to Beach 54 Street (connecting with the QM17) (operating from Far Rockaway)

Q92: shadowing the (A) from Broadway Junction to Lefferts Boulevard via Pitkin and Liberty Avenues (operating from East New York)

Bx7 (service expansion all night): extended to 145 Street (A)(D) (split with Mother Hale)

M7/M102 extension: turning north on Powell Boulevard, down to 155 Street (lower level) and terminating at Rucker Park (155 Street (D)).

B57 (service expansion all night): Red Hook/IKEA Terminal via Smith and Court Streets to Jay Street (A)(F)(R), then via Myrtle Avenue to DeKalb Avenue (D)(N)(Q)(R) and terminate (operating from Gleason)

B91: straight shadow of the (D) from Coney Island to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center via New Utrecht Avenue and 4 Avenue (operating from Ulmer Park)

B92: like the B91, but shadowing the (F) from Coney Island to Avenue P via Shell Road and McDonald Avenue, and then the (N) to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center via 65 Street and 4 Avenue. (operating from Ulmer Park)

B93: Kings Highway to (F) Church Avenue (F) via McDonald Avenue, then via 19/20 Streets, 7 Avenue, and Flatbush Avenue to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center (operating from Gleason)

B57, B91, B92, and B93 buses would hold for the B99 trunk.

All routes that aren't extensions of daytime routes would only make subway stops. The Bx7 would only make stops at 168 Street, 157 Street, 145 Street (on the (1) - 145 Street southbound only), Amsterdam/145 (155 northbound), and St. Nicholas/145.

26 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

The MTA really should visit the idea of an overnight bus network...the B99 being one route as a trunk.  Others I would propose are:

All Jamaica Center routes: extended to Sutphin and Archer to connect with the Q60.

Q12 (extension): operating to 61/Woodside (7)...Q48 stops to 111 Street, subway stops only to 61 Street.

Q35 (extension): operating to Beach 54 Street (connecting with the QM17) (operating from Far Rockaway)

Q92: shadowing the (A) from Broadway Junction to Lefferts Boulevard via Pitkin and Liberty Avenues (operating from East New York)

Bx7 (service expansion all night): extended to 145 Street (A)(D) (split with Mother Hale)

M7/M102 extension: turning north on Powell Boulevard, down to 155 Street (lower level) and terminating at Rucker Park (155 Street (D)).

B57 (service expansion all night): Red Hook/IKEA Terminal via Smith and Court Streets to Jay Street (A)(F)(R), then via Myrtle Avenue to DeKalb Avenue (D)(N)(Q)(R) and terminate (operating from Gleason)

B91: straight shadow of the (D) from Coney Island to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center via New Utrecht Avenue and 4 Avenue (operating from Ulmer Park)

B92: like the B91, but shadowing the (F) from Coney Island to Avenue P via Shell Road and McDonald Avenue, and then the (N) to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center via 65 Street and 4 Avenue. (operating from Ulmer Park)

B93: Kings Highway to (F) Church Avenue (F) via McDonald Avenue, then via 19/20 Streets, 7 Avenue, and Flatbush Avenue to Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center (operating from Gleason)

All routes that aren't extensions of daytime routes would only make subway stops. The Bx7 would only make stops at 168 Street, 157 Street, 145 Street (on the (1) - 145 Street southbound only), Amsterdam/145 (155 northbound), and St. Nicholas/145.

Sounds whimsical.

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

GA has sent an XD40 to Quill(7205). It entered service on the M9 and a few other routes. I believe they sent like 3-4 of them.

When was that again?

I remember when Quill had 4897-4898 running around. Feels like yesterday but judging from my photos it was a good 7 years ago, lol.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

I have been saying for a long time, that the MTA should consider a Blue Night Network like Toronto. They should all be run on the same headway, every 20-30 minutes and makes as much timed connection as the system allows. 

This was postponed from the April pick, however the Q70 SBS now runs on Woodside Avenue instead of Roosevelt Avenue in the southbound direction. It is also an official articulated route now.

There is no code for the B99 also, all buses say "H" rn

4790 is on the B1 rn

55 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There should be 3 buses on the B99 rn but because this is the MTA only one bus, 4605, is viewable on bus time.

4605 left Midtown at 1:15AM when the schedule lists it leaving at 1:00AM. Either that or it left 5 min early.

4240 is also on the route. And chances are there is another bus that has its GPS off.

4242, 4622, 4240, 4408 & 4605 are on the B99.

-EDIT-

4610 as well.

1 hour ago, Train92 said:

This was postponed from the April pick, however the Q70 SBS now runs on Woodside Avenue instead of Roosevelt Avenue in the southbound direction. It is also an official articulated route now.

4790 is on the B1 rn

There are codes for it.

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, Train92 said:

4790 is on the B1 rn

I was just coming to mention that, I noticed 6274, 6279 and 6286 are all running right now. I wonder if the latter two are wrapped as well. 

Edit : I just took a look at the new routing, I like it and looks like it'll definitely help the flow of the route. Are they making the entire 61st south of Roosevelt to Woodside the last stop / layover spot? 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Well, that was a cool little 39 minute ride (2:29am - 3:08am) on the new B99.... #4605 between Church av. & W. 34th st/8th av.

Had wanted to ride the full route from the Junction, but as I was walking & got up to New York av, I saw a bus signed "Subway Shuttle" a block away.... Said screw it & took the thing.... Wasn't expecting many people on it, but the bus pulled up empty.... Me & some other dude boarded the thing, which made us the only 2 passengers.... B/o informed us that "This is not the B44"... The tag-along (some female employee) the b/o had on the bus also muttered something, but I honestly couldn't hear her.... Oh well.

Anyway, we were the only 2 pax. on the bus, until we hit Canal/B'way (some looney got on).... Two more dudes got on at 14th (it was originally 3, but 1 of them thought it was the bus back to Brooklyn)... We hit 23rd, and a couple cross-dressers (putting it nicely) "across" the street, apparently was waiting for *something*... As we were waiting at a red light, one of them walked up the b/o & asked him *something* (I couldn't tell you what the... person, had asked - b/c at that point, I had my headphones on & was listening to ESPN radio.... Lol).... Dude that got on with me at Church got off at 23rd..... Started thinking about the return trip, so I just got off at 34th....

Along the way, I saw 3 buses in the opposite direction signed up as "Subway Shuttle" (at Franklin, at 7th av B/Q station, and at 6th/Canal (where apparently, where we caught up to another B99... both b/o's chatted it up for a couple seconds, then we pulled ahead & eventually made the turn onto 6th, first)..... All 3 of those buses had at least 10 people on them.... On the NB trip I was on though, at most, it was about 6 or 7 people....

========================================

I also rode some other routes for the hell of it.... Forgive any typos, b/c I'm dead tired right now.

I won't do a full trip report on the other routes (quite sure nobody cares at this point anyway, as the B99 is the star of the show right now... LOL), but after getting off the B99, I did the Q32 → Q70 → M60 → M2 (to 14th).... Then took the (Q) to Church (it was after 6am when I got over to Union Sq... trains were running by then) for the B35...

* Side note on the M2... I had to walk down to 122nd to catch it; apparently SB buses aren't stopping at 125th/Powell... I didn't read the whole notice at the bus stop, but it mentioned something about catching the bus at either 122nd or 138th... Obvious choice to make there from 125th...

...and there you have it, y'all.

11 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

When was that again?

I remember when Quill had 4897-4898 running around. Feels like yesterday but judging from my photos it was a good 7 years ago, lol.

Two years ago. Prior to their batch of XD40s coming in.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Well, that was a cool little 39 minute ride (2:29am - 3:08am) on the new B99.... #4605 between Church av. & W. 34th st/8th av.

Had wanted to ride the full route from the Junction, but as I was walking & got up to New York av, I saw a bus signed "Subway Shuttle" a block away.... Said screw it & took the thing.... Wasn't expecting many people on it, but the bus pulled up empty.... Me & some other dude boarded the thing, which made us the only 2 passengers.... B/o informed us that "This is not the B44"... The tag-along (some female employee) the b/o had on the bus also muttered something, but I honestly couldn't hear her.... Oh well.

Anyway, we were the only 2 pax. on the bus, until we hit Canal/B'way (some looney got on).... Two more dudes got on at 14th (it was originally 3, but 1 of them thought it was the bus back to Brooklyn)... We hit 23rd, and a couple cross-dressers (putting it nicely) "across" the street, apparently was waiting for *something*... As we were waiting at a red light, one of them walked up the b/o & asked him *something* (I couldn't tell you what the... person, had asked - b/c at that point, I had my headphones on & was listening to ESPN radio.... Lol).... Dude that got on with me at Church got off at 23rd..... Started thinking about the return trip, so I just got off at 34th....

Along the way, I saw 3 buses in the opposite direction signed up as "Subway Shuttle" (at Franklin, at 7th av B/Q station, and at 6th/Canal (where apparently, where we caught up to another B99... both b/o's chatted it up for a couple seconds, then we pulled ahead & eventually made the turn onto 6th, first)..... All 3 of those buses had at least 10 people on them.... On the NB trip I was on though, at most, it was about 6 or 7 people....

========================================

I also rode some other routes for the hell of it.... Forgive any typos, b/c I'm dead tired right now.

I won't do a full trip report on the other routes (quite sure nobody cares at this point anyway, as the B99 is the star of the show right now... LOL), but after getting off the B99, I did the Q32 → Q70 → M60 → M2 (to 14th).... Then took the (Q) to Church (it was after 6am when I got over to Union Sq... trains were running by then) for the B35...

* Side note on the M2... I had to walk down to 122nd to catch it; apparently SB buses aren't stopping at 125th/Powell... I didn't read the whole notice at the bus stop, but it mentioned something about catching the bus at either 122nd or 138th... Obvious choice to make there from 125th...

...and there you have it, y'all.

Did you see any MTA workers trying to tell people about the route along the way?

I noticed that prior to the service starting, some stops had no B99 signs at all(unless it stopped somewhere different). 9th and 42nd had no signs indicating that the bus stopped there.

48 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Did you see any MTA workers trying to tell people about the route along the way?

I noticed that prior to the service starting, some stops had no B99 signs at all(unless it stopped somewhere different). 9th and 42nd had no signs indicating that the bus stopped there.

Good question.

Nope, not a single MTA worker guiding/informing people about the route along the way, at all.... My guess as to why I saw as many folks on the thing (across multiple buses), is due to the subway entrances being chained off..... Only MTA workers I really saw on street level, were those manning those Mobile Wash Unit trucks (for the subway stations obviously)....

=================

Just to add:

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

-EDIT-

4610 as well.

While I was on #4605 early this morning, the part of the log where I said "...and at 6th/Canal (where apparently, where we caught up to another B99... both b/o's chatted it up for a couple seconds, then we pulled ahead & eventually made the turn onto 6th, first)",

That bus was #4610.

Edited by B35 via Church

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

-EDIT-

4610 as well.

There are codes for it.

isn't 4242 an MHV bus?

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Good question.

Nope, not a single MTA worker guiding/informing people about the route along the way, at all.... My guess as to why I saw as many folks on the thing (across multiple buses), is due to the subway entrances being chained off..... Only MTA workers I really saw on street level, were those manning those Mobile Wash Unit trucks (for the subway stations obviously)....

=================

Just to add:

While I was on #4605 early this morning, the part of the log where I said "...and at 6th/Canal (where apparently, where we caught up to another B99... both b/o's chatted it up for a couple seconds, then we pulled ahead & eventually made the turn onto 6th, first)",

That bus was #4610.

Does anyone know the B99 codes? I have tried 499x, 899x, and others, but to no avail.

@XcelsiorBoii4888 @Deucey @BM5 via Woodhaven or someone else, please private message the codes! I don't want them leaked!

41 minutes ago, R32-DTrain said:

isn't 4242 an MHV bus?

Does anyone know the B99 codes? I have tried 499x, 899x, and others, but to no avail.

@XcelsiorBoii4888 @Deucey @BM5 via Woodhaven or someone else, please private message the codes! I don't want them leaked!

I'm only going to ask you this once, @Jova42R. Why do you have THREE accounts?

Also, if you don't want them leaked, why would anyone of us leak them out to you......

Edited by Cait Sith