Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church I wish they did at least give the reason of lack of operator availability. The way I see it, they should give as much detail as possible in all cases. (The same way it annoys me when the train is stopped because of "train traffic")

Yeah, that's all I'm saying... Even though they don't have to be as technical/descriptive as @SoSpectacular was regarding the B37 (as far as what line is interlined with what & there not being many standalone runs & what not), they can still sum the situation up, similar to the way @Bay Ridge Express did.....

I hate to put it like this, but even though I don't necessarily believe the "train traffic" bit all of the time, it's better off than having a train w/ pax. on it sitting idle in-between 2 stations for minutes on end w/ nothing more than radio silence....

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You know that’s the (MTA). They don’t like giving truthful updates when it comes to bus service.  Transparency went out the window once Byford left.  

The MTA & transparency aren't even in the same building....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Been noticing a lot of windows opened lately on the local/SBS buses. Probably another reason is b.c of the hot temperature since it's summer. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-mta-bus-windows-open-20200707-7gyw3fdcurba5ey3cd67flldri-story.html?fbclid=IwAR17flhawuYRNi1ZmzleMSu07KsM1b1LlIbeEM2wlbhZJ3QYdB_VEK8HhbQ

Edited by Calvin

58 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Been noticing a lot of windows opened lately on the local/SBS buses. Probably another reason is b.c of the hot temperature since it's summer. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-mta-bus-windows-open-20200707-7gyw3fdcurba5ey3cd67flldri-story.html?fbclid=IwAR17flhawuYRNi1ZmzleMSu07KsM1b1LlIbeEM2wlbhZJ3QYdB_VEK8HhbQ

Interesting that the B/Os in the article complain about passengers not wearing masks. About 40% of the B/Os of the buses I've taken don't wear masks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interesting that the B/Os in the article complain about passengers not wearing masks. About 40% of the B/Os of the buses I've taken don't wear masks

Of the ones that do wear them, it makes you wonder how much of that outrage is being directed at the fellow *brothers* that aren't wearing 'em....

• LMAO! 2
  • Upvote 1

I noticed based on google maps, Apple Maps and the transit app for iPhone it shows the last stop for La Guardia bound Q48 buses as Ditmars Blvd and 102nd street right where the Q23 ends after it goes through the terminals and runs via 23rd Ave. However that cannot be right because I thought La Guardia Airport routes unlike JFK Airport routes just loop around the terminals and head back to their other terminals. Plus people who get on within the airport would be forced to get off and wait before heading back to Flushing.

I wanted to take a M60 or Q69 bus from Astoria to 82nd street to transfer to the Q48 to go back to Flushing since the Q19 still ends too damn early, but I wasn’t sure if I would have to get off because I’ve seen Q48’s buses lay over at 102nd street before.

For the first time in about a year, I saw a bus with a front Oatly ad. It was #4566 on the B57. Instead of the milk carton, they were advertising their ice cream.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

For the first time in about a year, I saw a bus with a front Oatly ad. It was #4566 on the B57. Instead of the milk carton, they were advertising their ice cream.

Welcome to the party. They just started releasing those ads on Monday. Went live yesterday So far front ad only. No rear and no driverside wrap for this yet.. I believe the same bus you mention has a driverside wrap. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I noticed based on google maps, Apple Maps and the transit app for iPhone it shows the last stop for La Guardia bound Q48 buses as Ditmars Blvd and 102nd street right where the Q23 ends after it goes through the terminals and runs via 23rd Ave. However that cannot be right because I thought La Guardia Airport routes unlike JFK Airport routes just loop around the terminals and head back to their other terminals. Plus people who get on within the airport would be forced to get off and wait before heading back to Flushing.

I wanted to take a M60 or Q69 bus from Astoria to 82nd street to transfer to the Q48 to go back to Flushing since the Q19 still ends too damn early, but I wasn’t sure if I would have to get off because I’ve seen Q48’s buses lay over at 102nd street before.

Those mediums aren't going to discern that Ditmars/102nd on the Q48 [is the last timepoint listed on a WB trip] from [it not being a stop on the route where all passengers must disembark]....

In plain english, you would have been fine taking the M60 or the Q69 to a Flushing bound Q48 without having to get off said Q48 at 102nd (for the same bus, or another bus towards Flushing).... What happens is that the bus simply sits at 102nd (with whatever pax. on board) for however long the layover is scheduled for (and then some, if the bus was running hot (early) up until that point), then departs towards Flushing.... Some b/o's may skip the sitting at 102nd altogether to get a longer break once it hits Main st..... Of course, if they're already running late once hitting 102nd (after having served LGA), then any waiting at that stop is a non-issue - as the recovery time has been evaporated....

Very rarely does a WB Q48 trip (that's already served LGA) dump people off at 102nd to end up DH-ing (wherever), instead of doing that EB trip back to Flushing.... If that were the case, the b/o would not allow for any boardings along 23rd....

18 hours ago, Joshua Duran said:

does anyone know a website where i can search up destination signs or does anyone have a codebook?

Don't have any codebook & I don't know of any site anymore that has updated destination codes on them....

Edited by B35 via Church

23 hours ago, Joshua Duran said:

does anyone know a website where i can search up destination signs or does anyone have a codebook?

There is no codebook.

And why are you seeking bus codes?

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Ad announcement: Oatly Milk has returned. 

These are the most underrated ads of all time. Glad to see them back.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Alert!

New route coming soon at night between the hours of Midnight to 5am similar to the B99.

Introducing the M99!

The M99 will go through the borough of Manhattan 42nd Street to Brooklyn New lots. The route is currently under test by managements and union officials at the respective depot that will provide the service.

The Bx99 will be another nightly route to be released after the M99

Stay tune for more information.

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LMAO! 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Alert!

New route coming soon at night between the hours of Midnight to 5am similar to the B99.

Introducing the M99!

The M99 will go through the borough of Manhattan 42nd Street to Brooklyn New lots. The route is currently under test by managements and union officials at the respective depot that will provide the service.

M99? What the actual...

And what is this obsession with using 99 for these routes?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Alert!

Introducing the M99!

For a hot second i thought you were telling us about the B99 again LMAO.

Source? And i thought Bronx was fine with all the interborough service, what gives? If anything, Queens needs more interborough service.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

M99? What the actual...

And what is this obsession with using 99 for these routes?

Im guessing 99 is just gonna be their trial numbers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

May not have been due to these circumstances, but, well.... looks like those of you that wanted a separate overnight network are going to get it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Alert!

Introducing the M99!

Bx99 I hear will go from Houston Street to Woodlawn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Neither here nor there, but part of misses the days when we had an interesting fleet with all these new lines running through the city. B99 comes into Manhattan using what, new XD40s or O7 NGs, same as the Quill fleet. But to imagine an FB RTS running that route? Or O7 CNGs running a Bx99? Kinda reminds me of the Hurricane Sandy shuttles, which were something like this. That was a ride...

• Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

So one of my freinds spotted #1300 the new prevost  on yonkers  Ave heading towards the bronx section.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

So one of my freinds spotted #1300 the new prevost  on yonkers  Ave heading towards the bronx section.

It was briefly at Yonkers Depot, it's now back in New Jersey.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

The M99 will go through the borough of Manhattan 42nd Street to Brooklyn New lots

Sounds interesting... we don't know its route yet, right?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Sounds interesting... we don't know its route yet, right?

It would be safe to assume that it'll use the 3 train as a blueprint tho

Could be an interesting route as it runs through Eastern Parkway (B71 memories??)

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

It would be safe to assume that it'll use the 3 train as a blueprint tho

In that case, my guess is 6-7 Avs, Canal St, Manhattan Bridge, Flatbush Av, Eastern Pkwy, Rockaway Pkwy, and New Lots Av

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Neither here nor there, but part of misses the days when we had an interesting fleet with all these new lines running through the city. B99 comes into Manhattan using what, new XD40s or O7 NGs, same as the Quill fleet. But to imagine an FB RTS running that route? Or O7 CNGs running a Bx99? Kinda reminds me of the Hurricane Sandy shuttles, which were something like this. That was a ride...

I would agree with mainly the RTS part. The engine would've been beasty when crossing the bridge at it's high MPH. But my worries with the OG CNG(even the BX99), is the noise as highly disruptive by the exhaust.  Residents cannot sleep through that repeated noise after midnight. But as of today, the XD40s are best on this route. Imagine sleeping in this bus throughout the route, the quietness does not bother. And I like to hear the exterior humming noise of the aerodynamic breeze of the bus along with it's Cummins engine runs.