BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Their will be a pilot program where masks dispensers will be put on buses on the SBS fleet out of... Gun Hill!

Cool that GH buses get such an fancy upgrade, that and they will be exposed to the harshest operating environment in the NYC bus system. If masks dispensers can survive the BX12 & 41 SBS, they can survive anywhere!

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Their will be a pilot program where masks dispensers will be put on buses on the SBS fleet out of... Gun Hill!

Cool that GH buses get such an fancy upgrade, that and they will be exposed to the harshest operating environment in the NYC bus system. If masks dispensers can survive the BX12 & 41 SBS, they can survive anywhere!

bugs-bunnys-no-meme.png

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On 7/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

What’s up with bus drivers driving so slow, waiting at lights and empty bus stops.

like I Know y’all trying to stay on schedule but people have places to be . 

I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible for me to not get called into the office:

If the bus was perfectly on time, you would be NO FURTHER THAN THE POINT THE BUS IS ALREADY AT.

Get on an earlier bus. 

12 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible for me to not get called into the office:

If the bus was perfectly on time, you would be NO FURTHER THAN THE POINT THE BUS IS ALREADY AT.

Get on an earlier bus. 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

What’s up with bus drivers driving so slow, waiting at lights and empty bus stops.

like I Know y’all trying to stay on schedule but people have places to be . 

Let me add: Running “hot” is a no-no in the (MTA). You may think things are slowly getting back to normal. Drivers still have to adhere to the paddles. 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What is this supposed to mean exactly?

GH buses, especially the artics interiors get trashed by riders far worse than any other depot from personal observation IMO. I suspect riders will try and vandalize the dispensers and if they hold up, then they could last on any other routes in the city.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

GH buses, especially the artics interiors get trashed by riders far worse than any other depot from personal observation IMO. I suspect riders will try and vandalize the dispensers and if they hold up, then they could last on any other routes in the city.

Yeah, I agree on this. I am pretty sure this happens a lot on East New York routes as well.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Get on an earlier bus. 

There is this tendency to view public transportation from a very selfish lens.... Accountability notwithstanding.

25 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Alright, so the comment wasn't specific to dispensing of masks & had more to do with GH & the riders of its routes... Got it.

I personally wouldn't use any mask coming from a dispensing apparatus, but that's just me...

22 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I am pretty sure this happens a lot on East New York routes as well.

Not remotely on the level of GH's routes.....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 7/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, 67thAve said:

Decided to create a bus map of the future MTA bus network with the way the current financial situation of the agency is.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KmiMAixf5hf1ijCGPh17-5ecOStJi2p3&usp=sharing

Looks like a regular Google Map to me.

I SERIOUSLY doubt we'd wind up with buses totally eliminated.  The M15 alone does enough that it would be safe. 

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

...and just what is supposed to be funny about no bus service?

It had to do more with the bait-and-switch of the map concept, rather than topic at hand.

Frankly put, it probably wasn't funny to begin with. My apologies.

Edited by 67thAve

With the Brooklyn bus redesign on hold due to COVID, I decided to create my own redesigns of a couple of routes, also incorporating some of BrooklynBus's ideas: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=19acmEg3DdGcyUw57Ps6sQzEXrLSGEa3a&usp=sharing

Things to note:

B6 LTD replaced by new B79 LTD from Avenue J/Coney Island Avenue to JFK Airport

B6 and B103 rerouted to Avenue L in Canarsie

Paedergat branch of B17 now B19, operating rush hours only to/from Rockaway Parkway (L) station

B15 (B10 in map) cut back to Drew Street/Linden Boulevard; service to JFK Airport replaced by new B79 LTD

Some B103 LTD stops have been eliminated; local service provided by rerouted B6

Edited by Armandito

1 hour ago, Armandito said:

With the Brooklyn bus redesign on hold due to COVID, I decided to create my own redesigns of a couple of routes, also incorporating some of BrooklynBus's ideas: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=19acmEg3DdGcyUw57Ps6sQzEXrLSGEa3a&usp=sharing

Things to note:

B6 LTD replaced by new B79 LTD from Avenue J/Coney Island Avenue to JFK Airport

B6 and B103 rerouted to Avenue L in Canarsie

Paedergat branch of B17 now B19, operating rush hours only to/from Rockaway Parkway (L) station

B15 (B10 in map) cut back to Drew Street/Linden Boulevard; service to JFK Airport replaced by new B79 LTD

Some B103 LTD stops have been eliminated; local service provided by rerouted B6

What warrants ridership from Midwood all the way to JFK? (as opposed to having a separate major connections<-->bus service/Bed-Stuy route)

2 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

What warrants ridership from Midwood all the way to JFK? (as opposed to having a separate major connections<-->bus service/Bed-Stuy route)

Saw a similar route called the B34 LTD in this PDF: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a7144cfb-34b0-4521-87ca-f33f64688021

So I still never rode the 4700s, but on YouTube, I noticed 4756 has a different transmission set up. I thought it was a ZF bus for a second, but then I realized it makes the air release sound just before coming to a stop. It almost reminds me of the first type of LBSS that the 4800s that gave them that ZF type shifting. 

Did other Allison 4700s have this ZF style shifting, or is 4756 a unique bus? 

Start this video at: 0:25, 0:59, and 1:36. 

Start this one at 0:11 and 1:49. 

And start this one at 1:09, and 2:32. 

5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So I still never rode the 4700s, but on YouTube, I noticed 4756 has a different transmission set up. I thought it was a ZF bus for a second, but then I realized it makes the air release sound just before coming to a stop. It almost reminds me of the first type of LBSS that the 4800s that gave them that ZF type shifting. 

Did other Allison 4700s have this ZF style shifting, or is 4756 a unique bus? 

Start this video at: 0:25, 0:59, and 1:36. 

Start this one at 0:11 and 1:49. 

And start this one at 1:09, and 2:32. 

I think 4710 is set-up like that too