BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

You're impatient for information huh?

Well all we've heard is that its gonna happen. No other details. What's to say that the person who told us is just pulling our leg?

59 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Or you can get your fix riding the M2 and Bx39 

What?

11 minutes ago, B61In2002 said:

Well all we've heard is that its gonna happen. No other details. What's to say that the person who told us is just pulling our leg?

You can relax, it's legitimate.

Stop being impatient. Information will be posted in due time.

24 minutes ago, B61In2002 said:

The same guy that brought the B99 to our attention on here (that doesn't post all that much on here anymore), is now going to all of a sudden blatantly lie about the creation of 2 more routes of the type? I don't see it.

What exactly's supposed to be the motive? Forum praise? Give me a break....

It's a wonder that we even have the MTA workers that post on this MF-er that still do, with ungrateful attitudes like that.... Don't try to pass your impatience off as someone on the inside concocting bullshit, because quite frankly, that's bullshit.....

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The same guy that brought the B99 to our attention on here (that doesn't post all that much on here anymore), is now going to all of a sudden blatantly lie about the creation of 2 more routes of the type? I don't see it.

It's a wonder that we even have the MTA workers that post on this MF-er that still do, with ungrateful attitudes like that.... Don't try to pass your impatience off as someone on the inside concocting bullshit, because quite frankly, that's bullshit.....

I'd give you more upvotes, but the system doesn't allow that.

42 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The bolded point x100.....this is why I tend to hold off on my information as well and let people figure it out themselves, and this is also a reason why Dante(East New York) left the forum.

Edited by Cait Sith

40 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It's a wonder that we even have the MTA workers that post on this MF-er that still do, with ungrateful attitudes like that.... 

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

The bolded point x100.....this is why I tend to hold off on my information as well.

The sad truth is there has indeed been a noticeable exodus of TA people off these boards last few years.  You're both right about the cause though.

36 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

The sad TRUTH is there has indeed been a noticeable exodus of TA people off these boards last few years.  You're both right about the cause though.

again & again it happens... the truth is that the personnel on this forum that willingly share ANY info/news are doing so out of the kindness of their hearts, and do so in the interest of progressive, positive dialog within this forum, in order to see places like this thrive... by the way, against repeated pleas from management in all branches, for employees to refrain from any forms of social media. the unwillingness of some to submit that employees more than likely know more than them pertaining to most subject matters and will thusly disregard/disrespect them is outta bounds. and when misinformation is spewed/spread, the culprit when corrected/chastised feels entitled in doing so.... "LeT mE rAnT/sPeAk mY MiNd". misinformation and a refusal to vet/validate statements helps no one. i would never speak for any other employee or Transit personnel, but i for one, a semi-proud, card-carrying, union member of TWU Local 100/TA Bus Operator for the past 11 years REFUSE to have anyone coming from a place of assumption or speculation chastise or critique anything i say, when, as sure as I'm born, I'm attempting to provide info from a place of knowledge in the interest of providing knowledge, wisdom or understanding to those who genuinely crave it. there are those who don't work for the system that have a wealth of knowledge, and validate their sources, and I would never discredit or disregard/disrespect those individuals... i praise them to the utmost. the ignorant pests/trolls/babies/children who probably were still swimming around in their daddy's nutsacks when myself and others were sacrificing nights/weekends/holidays/time with family/friends, won't get away with their blatant f**k'ry/fantasy threads. with that said, more times than not, people are tired and refuse to engage. i don't blame them.

@Cait Sith Not just ENY, I'm pretty sure it's why SG left as well (but that's neither here nor there I guess).  Either way, I miss the wealth of knowledge and perspective certain people use to bring here.  I think a lot of us older members do.

@EastFlatbushLarry You're saying something that's needed to be said around this place for a while now.  Thank you! Me personally, a real low point was several months ago in the thread about the (2) train fire, where some people's first reaction was 'is the R142 going to be okay'. That was a prime case of what-the-fvckery right there.  Made me feel like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon (y'all know the line)...

Edited by R10 2952

3 hours ago, Lex said:

I'd give you more upvotes, but the system doesn't allow that.

Lol, but obliged.

I mean, imagine waking up after a small nap & reading a passive-aggressive accusation like that aimed at a respectable & reputable member...

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The bolded point x100.....this is why I tend to hold off on my information as well and let people figure it out themselves, and this is also a reason why Dante(East New York) left the forum.

I've noticed that over the years with you & I don't blame you not a single, solitary bit....

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The sad truth is there has indeed been a noticeable exodus of TA people off these boards last few years.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

If you wasn’t taught patience as a kid. You won’t understand it as an adult. Most things in life requires a level of patience. 

It's very easy to have this happen as enthusiasts, but this has to be said... Folks have gotten WAY too comfortable in these transit enthusiast spaces (it's not limited to this forum either).... Not to beat up on one particular person, as this is very much a microcosm of a larger issue - when you're so used to getting inside information/detailed information that's not as easily attainable, perusing a space like this over the course of years, it's like there's this diminished appreciation or something.... Then when something doesn't quite pan out to your expectations, commence attacking the messenger....

The antsiness simply has to be curbed.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

again & again it happens... the truth is that the personnel on this forum that willingly share ANY info/news are doing so out of the kindness of their hearts, and do so in the interest of progressive, positive dialog within this forum, in order to see places like this thrive... by the way, against repeated pleas from management in all branches, for employees to refrain from any forms of social media. the unwillingness of some to submit that employees more than likely know more than them pertaining to most subject matters and will thusly disregard/disrespect them is outta bounds. and when misinformation is spewed/spread, the culprit when corrected/chastised feels entitled in doing so.... "LeT mE rAnT/sPeAk mY MiNd". misinformation and a refusal to vet/validate statements helps no one. i would never speak for any other employee or Transit personnel, but i for one, a semi-proud, card-carrying, union member of TWU Local 100/TA Bus Operator for the past 11 years REFUSE to have anyone coming from a place of assumption or speculation chastise or critique anything i say, when, as sure as I'm born, I'm attempting to provide info from a place of knowledge in the interest of providing knowledge, wisdom or understanding to those who genuinely crave it. there are those who don't work for the system that have a wealth of knowledge, and validate their sources, and I would never discredit or disregard/disrespect those individuals... i praise them to the utmost. the ignorant pests/trolls/babies/children who probably were still swimming around in their daddy's nutsacks when myself and others were sacrificing nights/weekends/holidays/time with family/friends, won't get away with their blatant f**k'ry/fantasy threads. with that said, more times than not, people are tired and refuse to engage. i don't blame them.

IDC if it has to be parsed, the general message being laid out here in this entire post should be stickied, added as some sort of an addendum to the forum rules, something..... I have always been appreciative of anyone on the inside sharing info on a public space like this.... Hell, even guys like @BM5 via Woodhaven with the service updates & @Union Tpke with the PDF extractions, that post publicly obtained info on here.... As you stated, not only are employees not obligated to share info with us outsiders, but y'all are discouraged from doing so.....

@Cait Sith brought up @East New York.... This should go without saying, but there's a saying that goes something to the effect of, you don't know what you got - until it is gone.

Edited by B35 via Church

36 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

...Me personally, a real low point was several months ago in the thread about the (2) train fire, where some people's first reaction was 'is the R142 going to be okay'.

I think it was VG8 that initially called that shit out..... I've seen that "is the bus okay"/"is the train okay" reaction numerous times on these parts & it's something I've LONG been annoyed with.... That personification after the end of some tragedy/accident is taking the hobby way too far....

Thomas the tank engine is not real.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

You're saying something that's needed to be said around this place for a while now.  Thank you!

57 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

As you stated, not only are employees not obligated to share info with us outsiders, but y'all are discouraged from doing so.....

give thanks for the sentiments expressed...

by the way... VEHEMENTLY DISCOURAGED by union and management.

re: info sharing... so many decent people have disappeared out of shear self respect, an outright refusal to bicker online with individuals who THINK they have all the answers... injecting fantasy threads in the middle of legit conversations where individuals are attempting to decipher validity on the subject matter... utter nonsense & clutter that devalues the most simplistic form of information trading via electronic devices. it gets to a point where rotten apples will spoil the bunch. in my personal opinion, I expected more tact and dare I say class from people here. I've been truly disappointed in the way things have gone down... aside from other snide remarks & fake toughguy routines (by the way, i don't buy or sell wolf/woof tickets, so miss me with THAT bullshit) i saw that (2) train thread where the brother T/O lost his life... absolutely abhorrent. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

Of course agree with all the above.

Not for nothing, and getting off topic, but one day the whole city is gonna have to have a reckoning about what happened to Mr. Goble. That was one of the most horrific – but also the most heroic – events in recent memory and just about the whole public and news media ignored it because the covid business was just getting bad at that point. I don't know if it'll be the form of a movie, report, biopic whathaveyou but that's one of the most moving and ultimately tragic stories I can think of in years, and I have to think it's going to get revisited and taken seriously at some point. Somehow most of NYC just ignored it when it happened and the details never even made it out. Think those kids should get to know that their father was a hero, if you ask me. I understand he was never even given a proper funeral due to the covid situation.

Edited by MHV9218

45 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Not for nothing, and getting off topic, but one day the whole city is gonna have to have a reckoning about what happened to Mr. Goble. That was one of the most horrific – but also the most heroic – events in recent memory and just about the whole public and news media ignored it because the covid business was just getting bad at that point. I don't know if it'll be the form of a movie, report, biopic whathaveyou but that's one of the most moving and ultimately tragic stories I can think of in years, and I have to think it's going to get revisited and taken seriously at some point. Somehow most of NYC just ignored it when it happened and the details never even made it out. Think those kids should get to know that their father was a hero, if you ask me. I understand he was never even given a proper funeral due to the covid situation.

100% agree with this. What is the latest on the investigation? I haven't seen any updates recently, not surprisingly, and that was such a crazy time I can't even remember if they caught a suspect or not.

Too many transitfans are treating this hobby like it's some sort of Tumblr fan-fiction. 

No, the train is not fine. Neither is the human who died in the fire, but sure, care more about the train.

Yes, it can be really annoying to be constantly DMed or messaged in private about the upcoming bus orders from the year 2045.

People have got to understand that buses and trains aren't some sort of cartoon or TV show. Most people who drive and operate them just want to work.

33 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

100% agree with this. What is the latest on the investigation? I haven't seen any updates recently, not surprisingly, and that was such a crazy time I can't even remember if they caught a suspect or not.

They caught the person responsible for the fire.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

give thanks for the sentiments expressed...

by the way... VEHEMENTLY DISCOURAGED by union and management.

re: info sharing... so many decent people have disappeared out of shear self respect, an outright refusal to bicker online with individuals who THINK they have all the answers... injecting fantasy threads in the middle of legit conversations where individuals are attempting to decipher validity on the subject matter... utter nonsense & clutter that devalues the most simplistic form of information trading via electronic devices. it gets to a point where rotten apples will spoil the bunch. in my personal opinion, I expected more tact and dare I say class from people here. I've been truly disappointed in the way things have gone down... aside from other snide remarks & fake tough guy routines (by the way, i don't buy or sell wolf/woof tickets, so miss me with THAT bullshit) i saw that (2) train thread where the brother T/O lost his life... absolutely abhorrent. 

Grandiose sense of entitlement & a severe lack of boundaries, basically.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Underrated point.... Props.

re: funeral...

That thought crossed my mind when a distant family member on my cousin's side of the family (I didn't know who she was, but still RIP) had passed away back in April.... Like wait a minute, how are they going to commemorate her when there aren't any funeral homes open.... I mean, I get the whole flattening the curve bit, but at the same time, find it f***ed up that no real type of service could be had for a dead relative or whatever, during the lockdown & all.....

As it all pertains to Goble, I can see there being some sort of documentary or something in the future about him.... Just hope it isn't tastefully/cheaply/lazily done.

34 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Avinger the arsonist was apprehended... Apparently he's also facing charges for a fire he set outside one of those Columbia U. buildings along W. 125th (just west of the (1))....

25 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yes, it can be really annoying to be constantly DMed or messaged in private about the upcoming bus orders from the year 2045.

...and not even be appreciative of whatever info you do get.

Sit up there asking 50 million questions & still not end up being satisfied....

22 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So I still never rode the 4700s, but on YouTube, I noticed 4756 has a different transmission set up. I thought it was a ZF bus for a second, but then I realized it makes the air release sound just before coming to a stop. It almost reminds me of the first type of LBSS that the 4800s that gave them that ZF type shifting. 

Did other Allison 4700s have this ZF style shifting, or is 4756 a unique bus? 

Start this video at: 0:25, 0:59, and 1:36. 

Start this one at 0:11 and 1:49. 

And start this one at 1:09, and 2:32. 

Best way check if the transmission was updated Allison is looking at the transmission selector keypad. Also it sounds like normal brake release from a dead stop.(This XD60 may have the brake hold feature when coming to a stop)

17 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I noticed that the old MTA Bus stop signs are slowly being replaced with the updated signs that all NYCT routes have. It seems to be more of a random process but none the less it’s about time. 

There is a different funding process for the (MTA) Bus bus stops versus the NYCT ones, which is part of the problem.

9 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Too many transitfans are treating this hobby like it's some sort of Tumblr fan-fiction. 

No, the train is not fine. Neither is the human who died in the fire, but sure, care more about the train.

People have got to understand that buses and trains aren't some sort of cartoon or TV show. Most people who drive and operate them just want to work.

Thank you. The same goes for discussions on transit expansions and operations. A lot of people act as if the transit system is their personal train set, and that the employees and managers in the system should operate as they want. R32s on the B, complaining about the Coney Island subway swap, asking for insider information on subway car swaps, the inside scoop on bus swaps, the bus redesign, and so on. I am not going to name names, but I know people on here who have left or reduced posting due to the reduction in quality of discussions on transit issues on things that are more important than railfanning, like operational fixes to increase capacity. NYCTF and other transit boards have continued to decline as people go to Twitter and Facebook where they can discuss issues with an audience broader than foamers, but also with subway riders and advocates who just want to get to work on time.

A lot of people here claim to want to become transit planners or become the "next Andy Byford," but their comments do not suggest that. They get turned off by paragraphs-long discussions on actual ways to improve service, about discussions on the MTA's finances, and prefer to complain about a change in rolling stock assignments or propose asinine and unrealistic extensions to the subway system that do not contribute to any competent and insightful discussion. I get it, a lot of users here are railfans who are in high school and love the rolling stock. I do too, and I have grown past just foaming over R32s, and have learned more about transit operations, and other aspects of transportation planning. I love NYCTF for the discussions with knowledgable people in New York City Transit who have had first-hand knowledge about the operations of the system and who make poignant comments on the state of transit today, and with other passionate people on the forums who discuss issues with the subway and bus system and engage in thoughtful responses to my queries. These discussions have decreased in number since I came onto the forums, and it is very sad. As a result, I have been sending less time on here. I try to bring attention to information from the MTA Board books, the Capital Program dashboard, bus lane changes from the DOT website, and discuss proposals I have, or provide my two cents on an issue. Though I am something privy to inside information, those occasions are rare. There are ways to contribute without having to pretend to be an insider.

For a lot of users on here, when you go railfanning, see whether trains are on schedule, think about why that is. Are platforms crowded, are there accessibility issues? Is your train stuck at a location for a long time? If you just want to post here to talk about your observations while railfanning or discus which cars are best, fine. However, realize that the transit system was not made for you. It was made to transport people across the city efficiently and affordably. Don't feel entitled to information which you don't have the right to get. Don't complain or interrupt when people are having substantive discussions on ways to improve the system.

I could rant for longer, but I hope that many users her give this a read and think about it.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

re: funeral...

That thought crossed my mind when a distant family member on my cousin's side of the family (I didn't know who she was, but still RIP) had passed away back in April.... Like wait a minute, how are they going to commemorate her when there aren't any funeral homes open.... I mean, I get the whole flattening the curve bit, but at the same time, find it f***ed up that no real type of service could be had for a dead relative or whatever, during the lockdown & all.....

Yes, I know a lot of people now who have found themselves in this boat in March/April/May- basically, not allowed to say goodbye and commemorate their loved ones who have passed, not allowed to go to church to say a prayer and light a candle.  It hits a raw nerve and is why I find shallow, BS phrases like "new normal" and "we're in this together" so infuriating.  This can't go on indefinitely.

Edited by R10 2952