BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

As much as I understand the reasons why such a slip up could occur, I have to agree with this take. It's sloppy and it just shows that they don't proofread these things.

Lmao the ads for Madame Tusads on the bus screens kept listing the M16 as a way to get there...

3 years after it was converted to the M34A+.

And on the B57, for some reason it lists the (W) as a transfer at Jay St.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks at if there are extra B68 trips running between Neptune Av/Brighton Beach station and what I assume is the Ditmas Av (F) station on the weekends to replace train service. I have counted at least four buses make the right from Cortelyou Road onto CIA. Either that or I’ve had too many drinks.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep, and the lower the address number of a building on any crosstown street is, the closer it is to 5th av.

And it's about 100 addresses between avenues (starting at 5th like you said). So 200 West 34th Street is at 7th Avenue, 400 West 34th Street is at 9th Avenue, etc

And Park Avenue counts as 4th Avenue, Lexington is 3.5 Avenue and Madison is 4.5 Avenue for the purposes of this @QM1to6Ave (And funny enough there is really a 6 1/2 Avenue around Rockerfeller Center)

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Lmao the ads for Madame Tusads on the bus screens kept listing the M16 as a way to get there...

3 years after it was converted to the M34A+.

And on the B57, for some reason it lists the (W) as a transfer at Jay St.

1. I totally forgot the M16 used to exist.

2. Yeah, there's been a lot of weird transfers regarding the 4 Av Line. I remember riding a SI bus to 86 St and there was an announcement about a transfer to the (N)(R) and (W). That was at least one or two years ago, though, and I usually never take those buses all the way to 86 nowadays anyway so I'm not sure if they still have those announcements.

3 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

This isn't too bad considering there are in service Ws from Brooklyn in the evening (unless that stopped)

I've seen a lot of (W)s heading from 86 St (N) in the morning rush and going on the local tracks frequently about a year ago, but since September I haven't. Strange.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

And it's about 100 addresses between avenues (starting at 5th like you said). So 200 West 34th Street is at 7th Avenue, 400 West 34th Street is at 9th Avenue, etc

And Park Avenue counts as 4th Avenue, Lexington is 3.5 Avenue and Madison is 4.5 Avenue for the purposes of this @QM1to6Ave (And funny enough there is really a 6 1/2 Avenue around Rockerfeller Center)

I was going to mention that in my last post, but I wasn't sure if it was an actual thing; Thought it was something I only went by (the 100 address per avenue block metric).... Possible that I heard it from someone/somewhere as a child & it just stuck throughout the course of life....

28 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I totally forgot the M16 used to exist.

I can't stop forgetting about it.... If I see an M34 (before an M34a) while walking along 34th st, "M16" pops up in my head....

Similar deal with "M18" & everytime I see Convent av (the street sign)...

So I don't make a useless thread, I'mma post a proposed "OWL" service here based on how the MTA could expand overnight replacement bus service.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ack68Fhk0kuq5Tg_wJ_tnDuMQmWO4O94&usp=sharing

Notes:

• M99 renamed B98 to both establish it as a Brooklyn interborough route and in honor of adding a new M99 (see below)
  • Bx98 between Wakefield and City Hall (Foley Square) operating on a path similar to the (2) north of Tremont and on Lenox, the (6) between Whitlock Avenue and E 138th Street and south of 42nd Street, and the (C) along CPW. This route operates via Lexington Av or Madison Av between 23 Street and 42nd Street.
  • B96 between Coney Island and Columbus Circle operating on a path similar to the (D) south of Fort Hamilton Parkway, the (F) between Smith-9 Street and Church Avenue, and along the (4) / (6) between Bowling Green and 59th Street via Madison/5 Av north of 23 St. This route operates via the Hugh L Grant tunnel between Manhattan and Brooklyn.
  • New M99 between Red Hook and East Harlem operating via the (F) between Smith-9 Street and Jay Street and the (6) between Houston Street and 125th Street via Madison/Lexington Avenue. This route operates via Grand Street (B)(D) and connects with the Bx99 at it's northern terminal. 

Some stops are also added/slightly modified in Manhattan to better serve subway stops.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On 7/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, Kriston Lewis said:

So it looks at if there are extra B68 trips running between Neptune Av/Brighton Beach station and what I assume is the Ditmas Av (F) station on the weekends to replace train service. I have counted at least four buses make the right from Cortelyou Road onto CIA. Either that or I’ve had too many drinks.

Yeah they're basically "shuttles" on the weekends. I'm on the 68 this pick...

I was riding my bike along Jewel Ave from Park Dr E to 164th St (basically the entire Q64 route east of Flushing Meadows Corona Park) today. Along the way, I saw a westbound Q64 at every stop or transitioning to the next stop and no buses passed me heading eastbound. The frequencies were prob 2-3 mins and buses were half-full at a seated load. There was basically a Q64 in my view every time I passed one and I saw some buses waiting at some bus stops, prob for timing points. No artics, all 40 foot OG's.

I’ve noticed for the past few months the Q30/Q31 has been rerouted onto Jamaica Ave N/B between 153rd to 168th street instead of continuing down Archer Ave. The MTA has given the reason that construction is the cause of that but the Q20, Q24 and Q44 still continue down Archer Ave along with all the other routes that begin at Jamaica Center so it makes me wonder what’s the real reason for the rerouting. I suspect that it’s because of all the buses that terminate over there at Archer and 168th street. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve noticed for the past few months the Q30/Q31 has been rerouted onto Jamaica Ave N/B between 153rd to 168th street instead of continuing down Archer Ave. The MTA has given the reason that construction is the cause of that but the Q20, Q24 and Q44 still continue down Archer Ave along with all the other routes that begin at Jamaica Center so it makes me wonder what’s the real reason for the rerouting. I suspect that it’s because of all the buses that terminate over there at Archer and 168th street. 

Well wait a second, isn't the construction taking place between Sutphin & 150th? To hell if any of the other routes are still running along Archer - If NB buses are turning off Archer at 153rd, that would have Q30/31's themselves running through the construction, so that couldn't be the reason for the rerouting :lol:

Mask dispensers are currently onboard the middle door of the LFSA so far. Saw it on the Bx42 and tied to the seat to the left side where the op is at in position, unit 5478. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

From what I've been told by numerous people....that bus rides just like the 2490-2789 batch....

If that's the case, I have no faith in its long term quality.

If they ever seem beaten up at Spring Creek (assuming that they go there and stay there for some time from initial delivery), I'm done.