BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

From what I've been told by numerous people....that bus rides just like the 2490-2789 batch....

If that's the case, I have no faith in its long term quality.

If they ever seem beaten up at Spring Creek (assuming that they go there and stay there for some time from initial delivery), I'm done.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

If they ever seem beaten up at Spring Creek (assuming that they go there and stay there for some time from initial delivery), I'm done.

From previous conversations the batch could be heading to College Point, Eastchester, Yonkers. However, knowing this (MTA) everything is subject to change. 

IMO every depot that has off peak express service should get a piece of this order. If any depot has to be left out, then leave out depots like LGA, BP, etc since their express routes are rush hour only. Maybe FR too since they have only have one off peak express route.

As someone who lives along a SC Express route, I would not be losing any sleep if SC gets left out as I really like their MCI's. 

My first half of my post was from a logic prospective, second half is from a bus fan and causal commuter on the BM2...

Edited by trainfan22

Always forget that panels from the 102-DL3s and D4500CLs/CTs are pretty much all compatible. 2227 is running around with half a blue stripe at the back. Panel must have come from one of the 102-DL3s Castleton had a while ago.

Reminds me of the weird stuff you'd see on RTSes. 5057 had a PBL engine cover from (I think) when it was at Flatbush, 8804 had a TMC's lower bulkhead, 9267 had a PBL bulkhead with space for MBTA taillights, and 4907 also had a PBL engine cover. 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Always forget that panels from the 102-DL3s and D4500CLs/CTs are pretty much all compatible. 2227 is running around with half a blue stripe at the back. Panel must have come from one of the 102-DL3s Castleton had a while ago.

Reminds me of the weird stuff you'd see on RTSes. 5057 had a PBL engine cover from (I think) when it was at Flatbush, 8804 had a TMC's lower bulkhead, 9267 had a PBL bulkhead with space for MBTA taillights, and 4907 also had a PBL engine cover. 

Are there any pics floating around that showcase these oddities?

11 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Are there any pics floating around that showcase these oddities?

Ask and ye shall receive. Some photos of mine. I meant 4911, not 4907. Some of these are really old shots come to think of it.

50171398018_6fc504622b_b.jpg

50171399398_a02d91b499_b.jpg

50171944646_89e3b4e7b3_o.jpg

50171947656_00d70ce66a_b.jpg

And today:

50171951446_3dddc6cae9_b.jpg

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I remembered seeing one like that last summer... It's 2213:

48198069262_05754df44b_b.jpg

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This is my sentiment for pretty much anything made nowadays..... Apparently, Instant gratification (as in, immediate consumption) > Shelf life.

I remember talking to a man from the GM Tarrytown plant years ago. He said that if GM made the perfect auto you would never need to buy another one.

14 hours ago, Lex said:

I'd give Spring Creek credit if they didn't run their CTs into the ground....not to the point of Staten Island, but boy are they raggedy...

Why does ECH have a few runs on the QM2/20/32 and CP have a few runs on the BxM9? My hunch is the QM2/20/32 has a lot more runs to cover so ECH gave them a few rush hour trippers on the BxM9. But if CP depot was truly short, they wouldn't have trips on the BxM9, right?

Those 2005 Orions aged so well, rode one yesterday on the B17 and it had good A/C and good ride quality. 

With all these NGs from FLA getting transferred to ENY that very well could have been my last 2005 Orion ride on a ENY route. I love the diversity ENY has with various batches of XD40s and Orions, and their all great to ride.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Those 2005 Orions aged so well, rode one yesterday on the B17 and it had good A/C and good ride quality. 

With all these NGs from FLA getting transferred to ENY that very well could have been my last 2005 Orion ride on a ENY route. I love the diversity ENY has with various batches of XD40s and Orions, and their all great to ride.

How many 2004/05s remain in ENY? A bunch of NG Hybrids were sent to the depot from Fresh Pond and Flatbush. 10 to be exact.

10 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Seeing the signs going up for the M99. Via 6th Ave. Why anybody would need to go northbound to the 42nd St. Pier at midnight is beyond me, but they're doing it.

Looks like a convenient place to turn the bus around, and also extremely close to MJQ Depot. That said, I do agree as to why it doesn't just run with the B99 service...and there is still a gap in upper Manhattan.

10 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Seeing the signs going up for the M99. Via 6th Ave. Why anybody would need to go northbound to the 42nd St. Pier at midnight is beyond me, but they're doing it.

As I brought up in an older post, I still think it has to do with the proximity of Quill.

Although I doubt it, interlining could have something to do with it too, who knows....

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As I brought up in an older post, I still think it has to do with the proximity of Quill.

Although I doubt it, interlining could have something to do with it too, who knows....

Seeing how the B99 and M99 traveling on similar paths in Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan there isn’t really too much interlining.  

However, it’s good to see the Overnight bus program is making its way to Manhattan and The Bronx. Is the start day on Sunday 8/2 or Wednesday 8/5?