BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 8/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Yankees4life said:

Those YouTubers are gonna stockpile on Red Bull now trying to catch them 😂🤣

Unless one is a night owl.

I'm still planning to catch the B99, but I've been extremely lazy to do so. I don't think I'm touching the other two routes anytime soon, lol. Also, it's still pretty hot and humid at night, and walking crosstown to/from 2nd Avenue to Columbus Circle doesn't sound too appealing. Doesn't help that I'm a relatively fast walker (when compared on average). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm still planning to catch the B99, but I've been extremely lazy to do so. I don't think I'm touching the other two routes anytime soon, lol. Also, it's still pretty hot and humid at night, and walking crosstown to/from 2nd Avenue to Columbus Circle doesn't sound too appealing. Doesn't help that I'm a relatively fast walker (when compared on average). 

Stock up on bottled water (I have 8 of the 40 ct. cases)..... I say that, because I'm finding that less 7-11's now are 24/7 anymore,,,,

Don't know how much of the route (B99) you plan on fanning, but that, combined with an air-conditioned bus, alleviates a hell of a lot.

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Instead of walking from 2nd Avenue to Columbus Circle, just pick up the Bx99 on 2nd Avenue and ride across 57th Street.

8 hours ago, Snorunts said:

If that were the case, I’d say keep 5444-5467 in the light blue scheme (and remove the words “+selectbusservice) for M60 service while every other bus gets the local livery.

Maybe extend the "LaGuardia Link" brand to the M60 (to emphasize that local riders "should" use the M100/M101/Bx15 instead). 

4 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe extend the "LaGuardia Link" brand to the M60 (to emphasize that local riders "should" use the M100/M101/Bx15 instead). 

Honestly and truthfully the LaGuardia Link branding should only be limited to the Q70 only. That set of 5444-5467 are interchangeable and used sometimes on other SBS lines like the M23, M34. 

28 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

With those luggage racks, they're not supposed to be interchangeable.

Understood. However, I’ve observed 5451, 5458 and few others working the M23 and M34 SBS lines during the last few weeks. So to say it could be a yard dispatcher call or management call on this.  

9 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

With OMNY and all-door boarding, there may be no need for Select Bus Service down the line since the OMNY device can be used at every door. The SBS wrap should be replaced with the regular livery. The blue sign can remain or Select can revert to Limited.

What would be interesting is if the LFSAs with luggage racks may get a special livery similar to what 6274-6286 have.

There's no IF. It will be phased out and rebranded. It came up during a meeting I had last year about SBS countdown clocks. I was referring to them because I was pushing for those at some major express bus stops. The DOT and the (MTA) refers to SBS as a "brand", and for now, the SBS brand exists. Once OMNY comes into play, it'll have to be something else, even if they keep it the same for the public.  It's really BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), and so the whole branding thing is to ensure that they keep getting the federal funding. 

If they wanted to get people to use glorified Limited Stop Service, they had to rebrand it to make it appealing. They mention their newest fleet and faster commutes for a reason, but they also get other goodies. Those countdown clocks being one of them.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's no IF. It will be phased out and rebranded. It came up during a meeting I had last year about SBS countdown clocks. I was referring to them because I was pushing for those at some major express bus stops. The DOT and the (MTA) refers to SBS as a "brand", and for now, the SBS brand exists. Once OMNY comes into play, it'll have to be something else, even if they keep it the same for the public.  It's really BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), and so the whole branding thing is to ensure that they keep getting the federal funding. 

If they wanted to get people to use glorified Limited Stop Service, they had to rebrand it to make it appealing. They mention their newest fleet and faster commutes for a reason, but they also get other goodies. Those countdown clocks being one of them.

Perhaps they should rebrand it as "rapid" to denote limited stop service. 

12 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Perhaps they should rebrand it as "rapid" to denote limited stop service. 

lol I don't know what they will call it, but they are very protective of it and for good reason. They get new buses out of it for one. Just makes running those lines cheaper overall, in addition to faster run times. I'm on the Community Advisory Board for the Hylan Blvd corridor now, and I'm wondering if the S79SBS will come up during the presentations.  I'm on it because it's a major express bus corridor, but I imagine that they will discuss the S79 at some point.

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Stock up on bottled water (I have 8 of the 40 ct. cases)..... I say that, because I'm finding that less 7-11's now are 24/7 anymore,,,,

Don't know how much of the route (B99) you plan on fanning, but that, combined with an air-conditioned bus, alleviates a hell of a lot.

I don't do well in hot, humid weather at all and get hot easily so I carry two bottles of these in my backpack...

311Rq172AML.jpg

I don't buy new bottles every day, I just refill them daily before I go out for the day. 7/11 sells store brand water in the same type of bottle and sometimes you can get an 2 for 3 bucks deal.

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't do well in hot, humid weather at all and get hot easily so I carry two bottles of these in my backpack...

311Rq172AML.jpg

I don't buy new bottles every day, I just refill them daily before I go out for the day. 7/11 sells store brand water in the same type of bottle and sometimes you can get an 2 for 3 bucks deal.

Same (here).... One of many reasons that summer is my least favorite season.... Panting & heat induced light-headedness is no fun :(... Gotta carry at least one 1L poland spring water bottle whenever I'm venturing out somewhere for some length of time....

Give me winter, year round.... Or at least, chilly fall temperatures.

Edited by B35 via Church

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly and truthfully the LaGuardia Link branding should only be limited to the Q70 only. That set of 5444-5467 are interchangeable and used sometimes on other SBS lines like the M23, M34. 

But that’s just as the same as SBS buses running on local routes or 6274-6286 running on the Q53-SBS. Plus, if 5444-5467 receive some sort of LaGuardia labeling, they would probably be used on other routes way less frequently.

28 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I saw Eagle Team yesterday at Main Street for the first time since covid started. I didn't actually see them check tickets (there was no SBS pulling up as I passed by), but they were at least standing around the stop

If they were there, it was to check tickets. They do it one of two ways. Either they check as people get off, or they get on and check all tickets.

So the front of buses is opening back up next week? I can't wait to see people lined up at the back door and the driver opening the front. I can't wait to see pple walking in through the front and right past the fare box. It's gonna be another transitional shit show just watch. F5 is gonna get wedged in on almost every bus from the constant pressing. 

NYPD doesn't even bother to enforce the fare anymore, on multiple occasions I've seen ppl fare beat on the subway right in front of the cops. 

So its gonna be "Interesting" to see how farebeaters will react to the eagle team, especially in this current climate.

Since the Eagle Team is back I guess I'll be cutting back on my SBS usage until OMNY is implemented city wide. Only using the SBS on occasion with my "burner" metrocards I get from hospital visits.

Edited by trainfan22

I have two 2-part questions for y'all here:

1] What was the longest unlinked trip you've ever endured on any MTA bus route? (express or local, doesn't matter)

• If you can remember, what bus route was it & what were the circumstances behind it?

2] What's the most amount of modes (you can include rail transit) you've ever used to complete one linked trip within the city for a commute? (Do not include joyrides/fantrips)

• ...of those unlinked trips, how many of them included buses?

Edited by B35 via Church
ehh, I'll hold off on the third one....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

1] What was the longest unlinked trip you've ever endured on any MTA bus route? (express or local, doesn't matter)

• If you can remember, what bus route was it & what were the circumstances behind it?

2] What's the most amount of modes (you can include rail transit) you've ever used to complete one linked trip within the city for a commute? (Do not include joyrides/fantrips)

1. Longest unlinked trip: I guess B63 from Brooklyn Bridge park to Bay Ridge? Had to take my grandma and accessibility on the (R) was (and still is) shite.

2. Ride share, subway, air train and bus. And yes, that was just legitimately to get to a relative's house.

Anything other than that, I would say is obvious fanning.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

1] I've taken the B6 from end-to-end. Was riding with an operator friend of mine.

2] Getting home from when I used to work overnights in Nassau... Take the N72 to the N6 then the Q17. Apparently that was a three-leg transfer at the time. Imagine my surprise when I got a second transfer hopping on the Q17.

1. I believe it was on the BM5 or the QM15 (can't remember which), something like 2 hours to go from Woodhaven Blvd & 63rd Drive to the 50s in Midtown. Only one tube of the Queens Midtown Tunnel was open, and well there was a bunch of traffic leading up to the tube (I was unaware of it and there was no advisory about it). It was either that, or a BM1 trip where it took almost an hour to leave Manhattan (I rode it the full route). 

2. Most amount of modes was four. It was the Q47 to the (R) to the (4) to the Bx40/42. 

1. By time (and likely distance): The Q35 when I rode it from Brooklyn College to 116th in Rockaway, the ride typically took me around 30-50 minutes to complete. Though last year on one instance, it took over 2 hours. Traffic near the Aviators had the bus completely stalled for nearly an hour, and the rest of the trip was sluggish to go along with that.

2. Most amount is six. It was the (2) to Franklin (S) to (C) to (A) (which ended at Broad Channel due to issues at South Channel) to Q53+ to Q22 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

1) easily, the M101 end to end... circumstance being, i got off my run at East NY Depot (at the time), caught a ride to the city, met my ex-wife on her run on the M101, then rode the bus with her on her last trip so we could drive home to PA together. trip was easily 2½ hours from Cooper Union to Fort George... Limited, during rush hour (approx. 6pm) no adjustments and still had to do a southbound pull-in trip to 96 street.

2) most modes of transportation = 3. 

B103, Q35 & Q22. circumstance being, i was supposed to link up with a girl for the first time, and my car's transmission quit on me, but i wasn't of a mood to ride the B46 or the B47 to the (A) to go to Far Rock, so i took the scenic route... all in the name of not coming across as too thirsty, rushing over to her place, even without a vehicle. 

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

1. When I was little I remember taking the Q44 all the way from Main Street and Jewel Ave to the Bronx Zoo with my mom. 

In recent times I would say the Q25 from 127th street & 14th Ave to Kissena Blvd and Jewel Ave

2.  There was this one time where I needed to travel to Staten Island from Northeastern Queens. I took the Q64 to the (R) to the Staten Island Ferry to the S46 to go to an indoor paintball place out near West Shore Plaza. That ride was about 2 hours to complete and I never had to take a train, a bus and a boat just to complete a trip.

Offhand back in November 2018 there was a snowstorm and I took the (7) to PABT as normal but between waiting for the bus and all the traffic we encountered it took a total of 4.25 hours to get from LIC to Staten Island.

Another time when I was in college I caught an S62 to the ferry around 8:30am and didn't make it to the ferry until 10:49am (and that was after I got off at Eddy Street and just walked the rest of the way). My total commute to CCNY had me getting there around 12:15pm, so that was 3.75 hours of commuting.