BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

“This is Bx10 to Norwood-205th Street Staah.”

I would volunteer to reprogram the entire BusTime stop locations / pronunciations and screen announcements line by line, because some of the shit those screens announce is just like what....

They need to program Sta to say Station or just completely spell it out. 

38 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

My favorite "This is Metropolitan Avenue and Toys R-U-S"

Some of the voices at the stops are terrible

Jesus. Nobody told them that if you write "BLVD," the machine will say B-L-V-D? Or my favorite there, Jackson Heights-, where she reads the silent hyphen as "minus"!

On 8/18/2020 at 2:35 PM, Calvin said:

September 1st is the start to asking, "Can I get a ride?" as fares collection on-board local/limited routes resume on the last day of August on a Monday. 

LMFAOO it’s the “can I get a ride ” for me because this is definitely the truth. 

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

“This is Bx10 to Norwood-205th Street Staah.”

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This is B7 Kings-hy ave d

IIRC that's the way the announcements sounded when the (MTA) had just rolled them out, but I thought we'd moved past that by now. Time to start paying more attention on the buses, I need my entertainment!🤣

Edited by RapidoNewLook

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

My favorite "This is Metropolitan Avenue and Toys R-U-S"

Some of the voices at the stops are terrible

WtF is even being said here? Lol! Sounds like robot code more than English. If @MHV9218 hadn't pointed out the minus, I would've legitimately thought this was plain gibberish. 

I don’t know exactly what happened to the Q25 tonight but I was waiting at Kissena Blvd & Main Street in front of the library for almost 20 minutes. On bus time it showed a Q25 was coming as scheduled. However the thing is that when the bus actually showed up it had no Q25 display showing at all and the bus just flashed “Mask Required” and then the sign would go blank. The bus ends up skipping our stop (nobody was on the bus) and the timer on bus time restarted to 21 minutes till the next bus. However on bus time it showed that the bus was in service and it just left us all infuriated because 20 minutes is a long time to wait for another bus. I know sometimes operators are told to skip ahead on a route if running super late but come on its night time and buses don’t run that frequently as it is. Plus the Q25 bus before that passed on time so I don’t know why that bus would skip us like that while still appearing to be in service. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

19 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t know exactly what happened to the Q25 tonight but I was waiting at Kissena Blvd & Main Street in front of the library for almost 20 minutes. On bus time it showed a Q25 was coming as scheduled. However the thing is that when the bus actually showed up it had no Q25 display showing at all and the bus just flashed “Mask Required” and then the sign would go blank. The bus ends up skipping our stop (nobody was on the bus) and the timer on bus time restarted to 21 minutes till the next bus. However on bus time it showed that the bus was in service and it just left us all infuriated because 20 minutes is a long time to wait for another bus. I know sometimes operators are told to skip ahead on a route if running super late but come on its night time and buses don’t run that frequently as it is. Plus the Q25 bus before that passed on time so I don’t know why that bus would skip us like that while still appearing to be in service. 

You should send in a complaint. If it was legit (directed by an SLD or whatever), there will be a record and no one gets in trouble. But sadly I've seen too many BOs playing games in this pandemic

30 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

9 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

You should send in a complaint. If it was legit (directed by an SLD or whatever), there will be a record and no one gets in trouble. But sadly I've seen too many BOs playing games in this pandemic

Drivers out of College Point have been doing this a lot, and on the express bus end, I’ve been raising hell. The union head was in my advocacy group, and he is not customer oriented at all. I gave him the boot because he was rude when customers complained about legitimate issues and claimed that most complaints are BS. His words verbatim. Drivers do as they please at that depot because guys like him excuse the behavior.  This has also been a problem on Staten Island, with express bus drivers putting up NOT IN SERVICE signs, then driving by with plenty of room for passengers. File a formal complaint: https://new.mta.info/customer-feedback

I had a QM6 driver pull that crap one Sunday and I nailed his @ss. He started up NOT IN SERVICE, drove by my stop very slowly, but did not pull over, so I noted the bus number as he came by because it was around the time that his bus was due and I had BusTime on, and I’m well aware of the games they play at that depot since I’ve been burned several times with buses skipping part of the route. All of a sudden the same bus pops up on BusTime at 57th and 3rd. I took a screen shot and immediately Tweeted to the (MTA). Next Sunday he was looking around and extra cautious. It’s a damn shame. Most drivers out here do a fine job, but there are a few a-holes that ruin it for the good ones.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

So basically you have b/o's out here driving along a route not picking up anybody, under the guise of not wanting to get infected.... How appalling.

Yup. There’s a guy in my group that has been having issues morning and night. I think it’s the 5:30am SIM3. People started recording the guy because he would put up a NOT IN SERVICE sign, put the lights out and then fly by. Plenty of seats available, so he was doing that on his own. No way would dispatch have him drive by stops that early in the morning and have the next bus arrive packed. Makes no sense. In the afternoon, there’s a guy Downtown that skips stops down by Vesey. Either goes off route or puts up a NOT IN SERVICE sign and goes into the tunnel. I believe it’s been addressed now. Haven’t heard of any issues recently.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This has also been a problem on Staten Island, with express bus drivers putting up NOT IN SERVICE signs, then driving by with plenty of room for passengers.

There was one day - July 24 I think - where BusTime in the app, site and SMS said s52/42 were ~3 minutes away, but none showed up for an hour. Thought it was a glitch since it was 1pm and I've never seen a ferry-bound S42 before 3pm, but turns out drivers were driving down Westervelt to Richmond Terrace and bypassing Hamilton Av.

No alerts on Twitter of a reroute, nor on any (MTA) mobile platform. Whatever it was I had to do I just rescheduled or did it later instead of complaining - ever since @SevenEleven stopped driving by my crib, all the North Shore buses in my hood have been extremely unreliable.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yup. There’s a guy in my group that has been having issues morning and night. I think it’s the 5:30am SIM3. People started recording the guy because he would put up a NOT IN SERVICE sign, put the lights out and then fly by. Plenty of seats available, so he was doing that on his own. No way would dispatch have him drive by stops that early in the morning and have the next bus arrive packed. Makes no sense. In the afternoon, there’s a guy Downtown that skips stops down by Vesey. Either goes off route or puts up a NOT IN SERVICE sign and goes into the tunnel. I believe it’s been addressed now. Haven’t heard of any issues recently.

It was the 5:39am out of Victory & Jewett which is the 5:20am SIM3 out of Port Richmond (the second bus of the morning)

I was thinking about making thread about bus routes that have incorrect signs displayed. For example, the Bx36 says Soundview when it technically ends across the street from Castle Hill projects. The Q42 says Addisleigh Park when the schedule says St Albans. 

58 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I was thinking about making thread about bus routes that have incorrect signs displayed. For example, the Bx36 says Soundview when it technically ends across the street from Castle Hill projects. The Q42 says Addisleigh Park when the schedule says St Albans. 

The Q64 and QM4/44 all have the same destination “Electchester 164th St” even though the Q64 ends at 71st Ave and 164th street and the QM4/QM44 ends at 164th street and Horace Harding Expressway.

Does the M14A count because now it says “Westside” instead of “West Village Abingdon Square”. However the M14A does not even go to Abingdon Square like it’s suppose to. Drivers tell people to get off as soon as the bus turns off 14th street onto Hudson Street. The last stop is technically W12 street but I am never able to ride the M14A there. However as far as picking up and heading to LES, W12 is the first stop. 

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Drivers out of College Point have been doing this a lot, and on the express bus end, I’ve been raising hell. The union head was in my advocacy group, and he is not customer oriented at all. I gave him the boot because he was rude when customers complained about legitimate issues and claimed that most complaints are BS. His words verbatim. Drivers do as they please at that depot because guys like him excuse the behavior.  This has also been a problem on Staten Island, with express bus drivers putting up NOT IN SERVICE signs, then driving by with plenty of room for passengers. File a formal complaint: https://new.mta.info/customer-feedback

I had a QM6 driver pull that crap one Sunday and I nailed his @ss. He started up NOT IN SERVICE, drove by my stop very slowly, but did not pull over, so I noted the bus number as he came by because it was around the time that his bus was due and I had BusTime on, and I’m well aware of the games they play at that depot since I’ve been burned several times with buses skipping part of the route. All of a sudden the same bus pops up on BusTime at 57th and 3rd. I took a screen shot and immediately Tweeted to the (MTA). Next Sunday he was looking around and extra cautious. It’s a damn shame. Most drivers out here do a fine job, but there are a few a-holes that ruin it for the good ones.

I never had a College Point operators do that to me before, so to see the bus on bus time but “not of service” was surprising to me. If it was day time like 2 in the afternoon fine, most people won’t even know the difference since routes like the Q25 are more frequent (the Q25 gets help from the Q34), but 11:30 at night when buses run every 20 minutes I have a problem. 

If this is about them not wanting to get “infected” as B35 suggested then they shouldn’t be working. If they can’t do their job correctly then they need to stay home.  
The MTA is working to make sure their drivers are safe. They have the bus partitions, and the shower curtains, plus they are required to wear a mask even though half of them don’t. I’m sure drivers are allowed to have sanitizer and wipes so how much more do you need to stay safe? 

Just now, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q64 and QM4/44 all have the same destination “Electchester 164th St” even though the Q64 ends at 71st Ave and 164th street and the QM4/QM44 ends at 164th street and Horace Harding Expressway.

That’s not too hard to fix though. Just have the expresses say Electchester 164 St-H Harding and the Q64 can say 164 St-Jewel Ave, since technically the last stop is on Jewel and 164 even though drivers go out of service on 71 Ave. 

Another thing that has always bother me is is on the Queens Bus Map. The Q42 has the square symbol instead of the weekday only symbol. Also they made changes to the Queens map in August and couldn’t add in either the Q70 SBS new routing via Woodside Ave or the fact that the Q47 serves Bulova part time, but felt the need to make the M60 SBS orange, when I thought SBS were only supposed to be dark blue.

42 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Does the M14A count because now it says “Westside” instead of “West Village Abingdon Square”. However the M14A does not even go to Abingdon Square like it’s suppose to. Drivers tell people to get off as soon as the bus turns off 14th street onto Hudson Street. The last stop is technically W12 street but I am never able to ride the M14A there. However as far as picking up and heading to LES, W12 is the first stop. 

I never had a College Point operators do that to me before, so to see the bus on bus time but “not of service” was surprising to me. If it was day time like 2 in the afternoon fine, most people won’t even know the difference since routes like the Q25 are more frequent (the Q25 gets help from the Q34), but 11:30 at night when buses run every 20 minutes I have a problem. 

If this is about them not wanting to get “infected” as B35 suggested then they shouldn’t be working. If they can’t do their job correctly then they need to stay home.  
The MTA is working to make sure their drivers are safe. They have the bus partitions, and the shower curtains, plus they are required to wear a mask even though half of them don’t. I’m sure drivers are allowed to have sanitizer and wipes so how much more do you need to stay safe? 

The west terminals of both M14's are incredibly confusing, because no one seems to know the actual last stop is.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

You can count the M14A. I really don't like west side east side destination. To me it's way too generic. According to the bus map, the last stop is 18th and West by Chelsea Piers. For Abingdon Square, it's the same as the M11. Hudson and Bethune.