BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

25 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Why do some B/O's have all the windows open on their bus on hot and humid days when the A/C works perfectly fine????

I don't mind this during the spring and fall but all the windows open on a hot summer day? Come on man.

To think there's buffs out there that think that every trip you make should be via public transportation riding transit can often be a miserable experience, especially the bus. I wish that I had a car so I could drive to an destination with the A/C blasting but here I am on a stupid ass bus where the A/C is not allowed to work properly.

A little frustrated and had to vent.

They were doing that back in March & April when NYC was dealing with covid-19.

I guess people open the windows now to feel safe.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Why do some B/O's have all the windows open on their bus on hot and humid days when the A/C works perfectly fine????

I don't mind this during the spring and fall but all the windows open on a hot summer day? Come on man.

To think there's buffs out there that think that every trip you make should be via public transportation riding transit can often be a miserable experience, especially the bus. I wish that I had a car so I could drive to an destination with the A/C blasting but here I am on a stupid ass bus where the A/C is not allowed to work properly.

A little frustrated and had to vent.

That was a measure recommended to battle COVID-19, for better air flow throughout the bus.

The HVAC recycles the air, which would cause more problems.

I figured it had something to do with Covid. Guess I'll try to avoid riding the bus until the weather cools down. The subway has most of the cars windows closed with the A/C on and there hasn't been a major spike in Covid cases since ridership went up.

There's also plenty of buses with the windows closed with the A/C on and there hadn't been a spike in cases...

Oh well, it is what it is.

55 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I figured it had something to do with Covid. Guess I'll try to avoid riding the bus until the weather cools down. The subway has most of the cars windows closed with the A/C on and there hasn't been a major spike in Covid cases since ridership went up.

There's also plenty of buses with the windows closed with the A/C on and there hadn't been a spike in cases...

My understanding is that the subways have a much more robust air circulation system, which the buses can't quite keep up with using the one HVAC at the back. With the lower-end system, you really might just be breathing the same in over again. There was a TWU guidance for workers that suggested opening one or two windows and the roof vent, if I remember, with the HVAC left on, but that may not apply to all fleets.

Generally, the covid era just has me used to sweating. If I meet a friend, it's outdoors with a mask, wiping my forehead off...nicest thing in the world would be a drink indoors in a place with AC, but I'll live with it until the time comes.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That was a measure recommended to battle COVID-19, for better air flow throughout the bus.

The HVAC recycles the air, which would cause more problems.

also there are some operators (my uncle being one of them) that get ill from inhaling too much freon (excessive freon exposure) 

also, it's not recommended that you be exposed to freon for extended periods of time while in a sitting position. b/o's already have issues with nerve damage & blood clots in the legs from everyday operation, sitting under a a/c blower for over 7 hours a day isn't exactly the healthiest thing. even before covid-19, i opened windows on my runs. when i was younger, i sat under a/c's all day & nite. now, the cold gets in my muscles & joints. it's unbearable when you need your legs specifically to operate. the a/c (if it's working properly) is for the customers and mandatory to leave on. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
elaborating on the topic of b/o's having windows open while a/c's are pumping... btw, excessive freon exposure is no good for people with high blood pressure or heart problems.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

also there are some operators (my uncle being one of them) that get ill from inhaling too much freon (excessive freon exposure) 

also, it's not recommended that you be exposed to freon for extended periods of time while in a sitting position. b/o's already have issues with nerve damage & blood clots in the legs from everyday operation, sitting under a a/c blower for over 7 hours a day isn't exactly the healthiest thing. even before covid-19, i opened windows on my runs. when i was younger, i sat under a/c's all day & nite. now, the cold gets in my muscles & joints. it's unbearable when you need your legs specifically to operate. the a/c (if it's working properly) is for the customers and mandatory to leave on. 

Never knew this, thanks for the insight.

The XD-60s are doing the same thing with the Nova LFSAs from what I noticed. In the front, the first single seating is lifted and chained off to prevent contact with the op. 

Also, I wonder if the face coverings will be back up. Boarded 5554 on the Bx12-SBS last weekend and all of them were gone. 

Edited by Calvin

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Continuous air flow through the subway vents helps limit viral particles from spreading:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/10/nyregion/nyc-subway-coronavirus.html

Two ventilation units help fully replace air in the car with outside air, on average, every 3 min and 20 seconds

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I didn’t realize R134a was considered to be Freon - but I grew up with it R12 and R22 in my cars’ AC systems til I paid to retrofit.

Now I think they’re switching it up to R410a - supposed to be CO2-based.

3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I didn’t realize R134a was considered to be Freon - but I grew up with it R12 and R22 in my cars’ AC systems til I paid to retrofit.

Now I think they’re switching it up to R410a - supposed to be CO2-based.

to my knowledge, r134a comes from the family of HFC refrigerants. freon is a refrigerant, and the trade name for CFC's (chlorofluorocarbons) which have been medically proven to have side effects when used in a prolonged fashion. i heard of r410a, the rose colored containers, which fall under freon branding. I've also heard r134 & 410a aren't to be used after 2024 under some rule from the EPA. i haven't gone that in depth with my homework on the specifics of the refrigerant classifications, I'll admit, but I know operators with pre-existing conditions or conditions that were incurred while in passenger service at MTA that are/were out on comp who attest to air conditioning/cold temperatures not being good for their conditions. my uncle had hip replacement surgery (just returned to Flatbush depot early june) that cold air on his right side is no good for him, and he usually suffers dizzy spells after being under the a/c too long. he combatted that by opening the driver side portal, and he claims to feel better. with that said, air conditioning is cool in doses, yet, be it freon/refrigerant, it's not healthy to inhale 7-9 continuous hours a day. 

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Shiet, I personally like the mask for privacy. Pple can't tell who I am unless I'm around them 24/7. 

No face, no case. 

I use them to "mask" the stench from the homeless (and anyone else with B.O., or other types of stenches)...

Anyway, I didn't mean masks in general, I'm particularly talking about the ones provided on the buses.... If it's not encased in plastic before I use them, I don't want it.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I use them to "mask" the stench from the homeless (and anyone else with B.O., or other types of stenches)...

Anyway, I didn't mean masks in general, I'm particularly talking about the ones provided on the buses.... If it's not encased in plastic before I use them, I don't want it.

I agree, I always assume a hobo sneezed all over the little makeshift plastic apple juice containers they use to hold those masks on the buses. 

45 minutes ago, Van2006ko said:

Are the buses which operate on the M60 governed at an lower speed as oppose to their other transit counterparts? I've ridden on the M60 (5450) and the bus never exceeded 30 mph on the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

You probably had a new operator, or someone who was early.

I remember when the 54/55XXs first came in. Rode one on the M60 after school on a Wednesday, dude hit 55-60 MPH on the bridge, it was a pretty fun ride, and to hear the bus actually open up, was pretty cool. 

57 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

RE: the B99 and M99---is there a reason why this route can't be split overnight between Brooklyn (FLA B99, ENY M99) and Quill? It seems like a long deadhead from East New York back to MJQ depot, or from MJQ to New Lots, and likely the same for FLA from Manhattan.

Maybe the runs start in the boroughs the depots are in (could be wrong tho)