Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 minutes ago, NBTA said:

The 53/54XXs gotta be some of the best sounding "new buses" we have in NYC. 5388 is one of the more unique ones as well.

I feel like some of the best sounding ones are the 2019 XD60s (although they are slow)

19 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

I feel like some of the best sounding ones are the 2019 XD60s (although they are slow)

I do agree with this as well.

Off topic, but there's an LFS running on the Q20, 8410 to be specific.

Edited by NBTA
It's an E Shuttle acting as a Q20.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, CTtransit, generally speaking, makes no secret of which trips interline, and not just on the schedules.... I've taken the (then) route #11 & route #41 in Stamford, where b/o's would flat out state that "if you need the 11, stay on the bus" (if it's a WB #41, in this case) upon reaching McKinney.... I've been told that NICE is basically doing the exact opposite with the n22 & n24, kicking people off the bus, full knowing that same bus & b/o is going to do the other segment of the route.... Not tryna be funny, but sometimes I would CTFU when I used to wait for the LIRR coming home, to hear pax. cursing out n22 drivers that short turned at Mineola..... B/o's of those late n40/41's in the afternoon used to get cursed out too.... Loud enough for you to clearly hear them across the tracks....

I dislike getting turned short when I have a moderate load and my follower is lagging behind, even though I clearly make an announcement after a call I'll still get the angry/pissed off riders.

"This shit happens every time!"
*Teeth sucking*
"Can I get a transfer??"

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I dislike getting turned short when I have a moderate load and my follower is lagging behind, even though I clearly make an announcement after a call I'll still get the angry/pissed off riders.

"This shit happens every time!"
*Teeth sucking*
"Can I get a transfer??"

For whatever the reason, I find that the riding public is more receptive to a c/r's announcement than they are a b/o's announcement.... It may as well be white noise to most bus riders IMO... Perfect example of this is when a b/o announces a detour.... B/o commences deviating off course due to (whatever); a parade, police activity, construction, etc... Whilst mid-route along the deviated course, then all of a sudden, a passenger starts copping all sorts of attitudes.... Experienced this so many times & I'm like, didn't you just hear him/her make the announcement.... I understand that nobody likes their commute getting interrupted/exacerbated, but I find that FAR too many people utilize public transportation with unrealistic expectations....

The situation with the n22 & n24 is that trips on both those routes have been split throughout most of the day (the first & last couple trips of the day still do the full gambit b/w Jamaica & Hicksville)..... n22's run b/w Jamaica & Mineola, then there are n22's that run b/w Mineola & Hicksville..... Same idea for the n24, except for the split point is RFM (Roosevelt Field mall)..... So what I was speaking on with the n22 in that last post, were of pax. cursing the b/o out for/along/on a scheduled short turn trip (in this case, the Jamaica - Mineola trips).... I laugh because these idiots commence cursing out the drivers, full knowing the bus is a short turn trip.

What you're more speaking to, is an unscheduled short turn - and as a passenger, I actually dread when that happens too, because I find that pax. are more volatile when that happens.... Happened enough times on the B12, where buses, mid-route, would turn into a trip ending at New York av..... Like you said, (them old ass ladies) sucking their teeth, the can I get a xfer & all that good stuff..... I was on a B12 one time, where this dude threw whatever he was eating (looked like a piece of a sandwich from my vantage point) in the b/o's direction, but it didn't hit him.... Even though I get off before NY av, I still got off that bus b/c the b/o got up to confront the dude (this was at Utica).... Luckily for me, a dollar van (well, minibus) was already at the corner, so I hopped in that mahf***a & went about my business....

Being that I know the bus system within NYC, and buses are frequent enough (all things considered) I never really panic/fret when I'm on a bus that short turns unexpectedly.... When I'm in other jurisdictions/states however, I'm like, oh great - now how am I gonna parlay/spare the rest of this itinerary & excursion.....

• Upvote 4

I'm aboard 6532 and there's a paper sign on the Driver's cab reading "NIGHT CAR" in big letters. Any idea what this means?

img%5D

50381289511_be2f91b11b_c.jpg

It appears that the (MTA) is slowly getting back to it’s ad and wrap blitz.

New wrap alerts:  Manhattan Division, Staten Island Division (EXP), Ulmer Park (EXP), Flatbush, Gleason, Grand, Fresh Pond  and (MTA) bus divisions  

On 9/24/2020 at 1:21 AM, B35 via Church said:

For whatever the reason, I find that the riding public is more receptive to a c/r's announcement than they are a b/o's announcement.... It may as well be white noise to most bus riders IMO... Perfect example of this is when a b/o announces a detour.... B/o commences deviating off course due to (whatever); a parade, police activity, construction, etc... Whilst mid-route along the deviated course, then all of a sudden, a passenger starts copping all sorts of attitudes.... Experienced this so many times & I'm like, didn't you just hear him/her make the announcement.... I understand that nobody likes their commute getting interrupted/exacerbated, but I find that FAR too many people utilize public transportation with unrealistic expectations....

The situation with the n22 & n24 is that trips on both those routes have been split throughout most of the day (the first & last couple trips of the day still do the full gambit b/w Jamaica & Hicksville)..... n22's run b/w Jamaica & Mineola, then there are n22's that run b/w Mineola & Hicksville..... Same idea for the n24, except for the split point is RFM (Roosevelt Field mall)..... So what I was speaking on with the n22 in that last post, were of pax. cursing the b/o out for/along/on a scheduled short turn trip (in this case, the Jamaica - Mineola trips).... I laugh because these idiots commence cursing out the drivers, full knowing the bus is a short turn trip.

What you're more speaking to, is an unscheduled short turn - and as a passenger, I actually dread when that happens too, because I find that pax. are more volatile when that happens.... Happened enough times on the B12, where buses, mid-route, would turn into a trip ending at New York av..... Like you said, (them old ass ladies) sucking their teeth, the can I get a xfer & all that good stuff..... I was on a B12 one time, where this dude threw whatever he was eating (looked like a piece of a sandwich from my vantage point) in the b/o's direction, but it didn't hit him.... Even though I get off before NY av, I still got off that bus b/c the b/o got up to confront the dude (this was at Utica).... Luckily for me, a dollar van (well, minibus) was already at the corner, so I hopped in that mahf***a & went about my business....

Being that I know the bus system within NYC, and buses are frequent enough (all things considered) I never really panic/fret when I'm on a bus that short turns unexpectedly.... When I'm in other jurisdictions/states however, I'm like, oh great - now how am I gonna parlay/spare the rest of this itinerary & excursion.....

I think that the reason why ppl are more receptive to a c/r's announcement is that the public thinks that all c/r's do is make announcements and open/close the door, while the b/o actually drives the bus and can take other routes that are not authorized without management's permission.

40 minutes ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

I think that the reason why ppl are more receptive to a c/r's announcement is that the public thinks that all c/r's do is make announcements and open/close the door, while the b/o actually drives the bus and can take other routes that are not authorized without management's permission.

It's simpler than that; bus drivers are simply less respected :( 

The hierarchy (or whatever you wanna call it) as far as respect, usually goes commercial airplane pilot, ship captain, train operator/motorman, bus driver, taxi driver, the guy that controls the horse & carriage that charges these suckers like $50 per quarter mile or some shit... lol...... Train conductor is somewhere between a t/o & a b/o..... Flight attendant is probably on par with a b/o....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It's simpler than that; bus drivers are simply less respected :( 

The hierarchy (or whatever you wanna call it) as far as respect, usually goes commercial airplane pilot, ship captain, train operator/motorman, bus driver, taxi driver, the guy that controls the horse & carriage that charges these suckers like $50 per quarter mile or some shit... lol...... Train conductor is somewhere between a t/o & a b/o..... Flight attendant is probably on par with a b/o....

Don't forget the pedicab operator a**holes

• LMAO! 1

The B/O thing is a two-way street though; compared to C/Rs, I've witnessed plenty more drivers lose their cool over the P.A. than conductors.  Especially back in the old O5 and RTS days.

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The B/O thing is a two-way street though; compared to C/Rs, I've witnessed plenty more drivers lose their cool over the P.A. than conductors.  Especially back in the old O5 and RTS days.

Well hell, can you blame them? They're more public-facing....

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Don't forget the pedicab operator a**holes

Funny you mention that... I saw one of those dudes after coming off the B99 early this morning around W. 56th/7th on the walk back (haven't seen them dudes in months, before the fact)... Don't know wtf you expect to actually pick up around 4:30 in the morning... Bad enough they virtually don't pick up much of no one during the rest of the day anyway :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Well hell, can you blame them? They're more public-facing....

Funny you mention that... I saw one of those dudes after coming off the B99 early this morning around W. 56th/7th on the walk back (haven't seen them dudes in months, before the fact)... Don't know wtf you expect to actually pick up around 4:30 in the morning... Bad enough they virtually don't pick up much of no one during the rest of the day anyway :lol:

I'm convinced most of them are drug dealers 

• LMAO! 1

From the Brooklyn Bus Redesign Discussion Thread:

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Think I mentioned this before, but the Bx99 & M99 are constantly bunching... Whenever I randomly look on bustime here from home, or when I'm out & about in Manhattan during the overnight hours, I'm almost always seeing either of these routes within a minute or two of (sometimes literally right behind) each other..... I'm sorry, but that shit should not be consistently happening at damn 2,3,4 in the morning, especially on 20 min. (scheduled) headways.....

I can't speak about the M99, but I believe they're actually sending two buses on certain Bx99 trip instead of one. Last night I used the Bx99, and there was a bus 1 minute, 7 minutes, and 18 minutes away (consistent with what I was tracking on my phone). I also recall seeing on other occasions, the first bus towards Manhattan originating at it's regular time, and then a few minutes later, a bus ahead of that bus showing up at Burnside Avenue. Those two buses ended up traveling down 2nd Avenue together. They also did that when the route was running 40 footers, as I recall seeing two Bx99s operating the 1 AM trip to Woodlawn while walking along 10th Avenue one night. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I was out last night, and here are some observations:

The QM17 last night was virtually non-existent. I only saw two trips being done, the 1:15 AM trip from Midtown to Far Rockaway, and the 3:00 AM trip from Far Rockaway. I was tracking the QM17 last night, and none of the other outbound trips were tracking. The 1:00 AM, 2:00 AM, and 4:00 AM trips did not run, and I'm not sure if the 5:00 AM trip ran or not.  I messaged the Twitter account to ask if the specific bus trip I wanted was operating, and they responded that that QM17 buses are operating with "extreme delays". However, buses not running are not "extreme delays", they're cancellations.  They used to specifically post what trips weren't running when they received info of it, now they're just putting up "may experience longer waits".  

I ended up taking the Q32 to Queens instead of the QM17. I was initially considering taking the Q32 to Woodside or Jackson Heights for the Q53, but I felt the Q32 would get to Woodside after the Q53 (and there was a Q60 crossing the river while we were at Queens Plaza).  I took the bus to 40th Street and transferred to the Q60. I managed to ride an XD60 artic on the Q60 for the first time (5372).  The Q32 was almost SRO, but the Q60 had like 3 other people besides me, and I believe nobody got on between 40th Street and Woodhaven Boulevard, so it was like an express ride.  

Took the (E) to Lexington Ave-63rd Street to to see the supplemental service that was running on the M102. I could have thought that they ran buses every 30 minutes on weekends, but they run every 60 minutes. Either way, that trip didn't go to waste, as I finally managed to catch an SBS XD60 on the M15 Local. Quill usually sends their LFSAs to cover the M15 local trips they have, and rarely sends their XD60s. It would be interesting if an XE60 made it on there someday. Now that I have caught the M15 and M102 supplements, my main focus will now be catching the Q102 overnight service. 

On the Bx99, I ended up standing because the bus had no seats available. Took it to 5th Avenue, and almost all seats were still taken when I got off (a few got off at 61st, and others at Lexington Ave). There was another Bx99 two blocks down when I got off (at 86th Street, it was 6 minutes behind the bus I got on). The bus passed by, with a whopping 0 riders on. I know they're sending additional buses out, but like sending late bus like that doesn't really help. If they're going to send two buses, either send them together, or have a slightly earlier bus along with a bus within a few minutes of it. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

WF and GH was on the (L) shuttle today, when the shuttle went by ENY depot there's a sign outside the garage saying that the depot is being upgraded for artics, we already knew ENY the poster told us, just saying it's in progress...

Back to WF and GH working the shuttle, with the whole MTA Regional Bus ordeal how come MTA bus depots aren't used for subway shuttles more often? SC, JFK, BP are closer to the (L) shuttle route than MTV, WF and GH which was on the shuttle this weekend. 

Same goes for the (E) shuttle, the three NYCT depots cover the route with a random bus from BK here or there, but MTA Bus depots is no where to be found (from what I seen)

MTA Bus seem to work subway shuttles at random but not regularly.

Edited by trainfan22
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

WF and GH was on the (L) shuttle today, when the shuttle went by ENY depot there's a sign outside the garage saying that the depot is being upgraded for artics, we already knew ENY the poster told us, just saying it's in progress...

Back to WF and GH working the shuttle, with the whole MTA Regional Bus ordeal how come MTA bus depots aren't used for subway shuttles more often? SC, JFK, BP are closer to the (L) shuttle route than MTV, WF and GH which was on the shuttle this weekend. 

Same goes for the (E) shuttle, the three NYCT depots cover the route with a random bus from BK here or there, but MTA Bus depots is no where to be found (from what I seen)

MTA Bus seem to work subway shuttles at random but not regularly.

I observed this yesterday also.. Lots of GH NG buses in Brooklyn for the (L) shuttle yesterday. Really SC is the closest since the shuttle was from Rockaway Parkway to Broadway Junction. However, that's a good question..