BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The bus terminal at Rockaway Parkway (L) station now RR crossing style poles at both entrances, only goes up when a bus is passing though.

About time they did this cause it was way too easy to farebeat at that station and people definitely took advantage of that. 

.... people still farebeat at that station. 

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

UP had hella extra buses after they received the XD60s for the B1. They received 28 buses so they can easily lose about 35-40 and not be short, especially with covid level ridership. 

Not as much as they did before, they just lost 7 7100s to ENY.

20 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I just saw 726 and 271 on Flatbush Avenue by Atlantic Mall. Both were signed up as Not In Service buses. Was there a Subway Shuttle in Brooklyn? Maybe they were going towards Jackie Gleason Depot? Not sure.

There's no subway service on the 4th Avenue between Atlantic Ave & 36th Street.

20 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I just saw 726 and 271 on Flatbush Avenue by Atlantic Mall. Both were signed up as Not In Service buses. Was there a Subway Shuttle in Brooklyn? Maybe they were going towards Jackie Gleason Depot? Not sure.

D/N/R Shuttle between Barclays Center and 9th Avenue stations

On 10/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, Calvin said:

Wonder if the Express routes like the BM2 or X68 that had overnight service picked up passengers to/from their destinations. 

The BM2 does, most definitely. I've taken it home a few times on the overnight and it gets about half a bus full of people

Interesting day today.

Took my first Bx99 trip out of many, very very fast and enjoyable ride in terms of transit and a normal customer.

A Bx3 that I was on sat at a stop for 15 minutes, because of one person not having a mask. Everyone ran to the 36, but as soon as that guy got off, he closed the doors and proceeded.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, Calvin said:

Wonder if the Express routes like the BM2 or X68 that had overnight service picked up passengers to/from their destinations. 

The X68 was often empty. IMO, if an express bus ran from the Jamaica area, the X64 may have been a better option, because a lot of SE Queens didn't exactly have frequent and/or convenient options to Hillside Avenue. At least most can get to Liberty or Linden Boulevard by walking or by taking a connecting bus which run fairly frequent for the overnight hour (Q3, Merrick Blvd Corridor, Guy R Brewer Blvd Corridor, Sutphin Blvd Corridor). Also, the X68 and QM6's catchment areas partially overlapped further out. 

The QM6 did not have high ridership  (I guess I would consider half a bus load in this instance as high ridership), but it wasn't empty either. Although most riders used the Queens Boulevard stops. I wonder how an overnight QM18 would have done (would have served the QM6 on Queens Boulevard, as well as the areas along the (A) and (J) . However, no way would JFK/FR have gad the drivers to operate both the QM17 and QM18. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

There are new fare stickers rolling out on buses in the Bronx. Interesting enough, there seem to be two versions on different buses: The local buses have a sticker by the front door that says (I'm paraphrasing) "Fare $2.75, pay with OMNY or MetroCard" while the SBS buses have a sticker that says "Fare $2.75, pay with OMNY onboard or board with ticket."

And in typical MTA fashion, they might need to make new ones 6 months from now if the base fare goes up to $3.

Edited by paulrivera

I wonder what the turnover rate for bus drivers are. Whenever I encounter a new and semi enthusiastic driver, I wonder how quickly that enthusiasm will die down. Having to deal with the unappreaciative/disrespectful public and these clown drivers on the road must be beyond stressful.

3 hours ago, brakethrow said:

I wonder what the turnover rate for bus drivers are. Whenever I encounter a new and semi enthusiastic driver, I wonder how quickly that enthusiasm will die down. Having to deal with the unappreaciative/disrespectful public and these clown drivers on the road must be beyond stressful.

Some of the new drivers are simply not cut out to handle the job or don't use common sense, and so they keep getting written up and are eventually fired.  There are definitely some that have to deal with things like unruly passengers, etc., but plenty that have been driving for years and do fine.  There are a number of reasons that drivers are on and off. Some are injured during the every day grind. The streets with all of the potholes, etc. take a toll on your back. You also have to pass yearly physicals, etc. There is a lot behind the scenes as to why some leave, and it's not all due to the public either.

I know some drivers that have left (MTA) Bus and moved over to NYCT.  Some prefer to work closer to where they live, etc. The reasons are substantial.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:15 PM, MHV9218 said:

Is there anybody in the entire city who refers to Hell's Kitchen as "Clinton" besides the MTA on the M31? I looked it up and it's nominally a thing, but never in my life have I heard that, except as the destination for the 31.

*slowly raises hand*

I don't literally/verbally say "Hell's Kitchen" to anybody when referring to that neighborhood (small-in-part, because it reminds me too much of that Gordon Ramsay show).... Then again, I don't say "Clinton" when talking to anybody either (b/c they likely won't know wtf I'm talking about)... But when I'm posting online, I will type "Clinton" (and it's has nothing to do w/ the M31 signage as to why I do it) when referring to the neighborhood.... I mean, I know what constitutes Hell's Kitchen obviously, but if anyone's asking me for directions or whatever, I'll just recite the intersection or the block the establishment is on, instead of saying "Hell's Kitchen" or "Clinton" anytime during the brief vocal exchange....

....but I'm also the person that still refers to that SB B41 stop at Atlantic av, as being "Times Plaza" (yes, verbally also), so.... yeah, I'm the anomaly in these particular regards.

Edited by B35 via Church

I find it highly disturbing how people can just board a city bus, walk past the operator, without word or care in the world.... Have these people no conscience?? Look, I know the answer, I guess I'm just venting (in vain, perhaps).

So I was on 0022 yesterday on the M100 going west & up, we get to everyone's favourite stop :D (125th & Lex), a few people paid fare, about 5 didn't, what's he (B/O) do? Opens rear door, about 10 more pile in........ Homie just gave up and let 'em in.

That....

21 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some of the new drivers are simply not cut out to handle the job or don't use common sense, and so they keep getting written up and are eventually fired.  There are definitely some that have to deal with things like unruly passengers, etc., but plenty that have been driving for years and do fine.  There are a number of reasons that drivers are on and off. Some are injured during the every day grind. The streets with all of the potholes, etc. take a toll on your back. You also have to pass yearly physicals, etc. There is a lot behind the scenes as to why some leave, and it's not all due to the public either.

I know some drivers that have left (MTA) Bus and moved over to NYCT.  Some prefer to work closer to where they live, etc. The reasons are substantial.

....and much of this, shows me the general apathy bus operators in this city have. Or maybe it's more to do with the (MTA) as a whole. I dunno.... I do not know.  But, I suspect many guys (& gals) GTFOH for greener pastures. I could be wroing.

#EndRant

13 minutes ago, Missabassie said:

I find it highly disturbing how people can just board a city bus, walk past the operator, without word or care in the world.... Have these people no conscience?? Look, I know the answer, I guess I'm just venting (in vain, perhaps).

So I was on 0022 yesterday on the M100 going west & up, we get to everyone's favourite stop :D (125th & Lex), a few people paid fare, about 5 didn't, what's he (B/O) do? Opens rear door, about 10 more pile in........ Homie just gave up and let 'em in.

Well that's what happens when the culture of farebeating continues to permeate.... I'll say it as many times as I have to, NY-ers do not take pride in mass transit in this city... It's nothing more than a means to an end.

44 minutes ago, The TransitMan said:

Don't consider anything until it officially moves. You never know.

I remember way back when Novas 9186-9228...IIRC were moved from MJQ to Queens (I think Jamaica). They all arrived...except #9203. That particular bus remained at MJQ for a few years and then was transferred.

So my point is that we never know until it happens.

How long ago was that? I remember 9203 staying in the city (with that ad wrap), but I also remember 9208-9223 at MV (or at least 9211, 9213, 9215-9218, 9221, and 9223 by the end).