BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Fresh Pond: 
6521-6522, 6529, 6531, 6555, 6557, 6561, 6568-6569, 6573, 6576-6577, 6580, 6582, 6584-6585, 6588, 6590, 6593-6595, 6603 (022)

JFK: 
6511, 6513-6514, 6532, 6540-6541, 6544-6545, 6548, 6551, 6553, 6600 (012)

Grand Avenue: 
6506, 6510 (002)

Storage: 
6505 (001)

6529, 6531 & 6585 are not on FP's roster.

6551 and 6553 have been retired as of yesterday.

The Grand Avenue OGs are no longer there. Safe to say those are scrap.

Edited by Cait Sith

Bus 3100 might be very late for its run as its stuck in stand still traffic S/B on the Henry Hudson Parkway. I walked the trail along side the highway from 125th to 96th and the bus was WAY ahead of me, I passed it, and when I looked back around 96th Street bus was nowhere to be found.

Edited by trainfan22

25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

4107 was involved in an accident on Atlantic & New York. An Audi trying to make a right plowed into the bus. Bus suffered damage to the back driver side pane. From the damage I saw it was the Audi being aggressive and trying to make the turn to New York Avenue. 

Any photos? Sucks, and it was a new transfer to East New York too.

Earlier I had accidentally dipped my card into the SBS machine for the Q44 but the Q20 came first. So I boarded and dipped my card and it said transfer. I got off at Archer/153rd street and I then get on the N4. It also said transfer which surprised me because I know there are some three legged transfers that are allowed but I didn’t know that it was possible to transfer from the Q44 to the Q20 and another route. What are some other 3 legged transfers that exist? 

This reminds me(going quite off topic) back in April 2019, I was paying my B46 SBS ticket in the machine. I slid my metrocard in, but the machine had froze and ate my card. So after a scary minute pushing buttons to make it work and for my card to come out , there was #7633 approached to my stop on Utica/Flatlands Ave and the machine spits the card out(as if it vomited) to the floor. What caused this machine to be like this ? 

4 minutes ago, Xcelsior Man said:

This reminds me(going quite off topic) back in April 2019, I was paying my B46 SBS ticket in the machine. I slid my metrocard in, but the machine had froze and ate my card. So after a scary minute pushing buttons to make it work and for my card to come out , there was #7633 approached to my stop on Utica/Flatlands Ave and the machine spits the card out(as if it vomited) to the floor. What caused this machine to be like this ? 

Sounds like the machine read the card as an invalid card. 

3 hours ago, Xcelsior Man said:

It could be a machine error. About two weeks ago I dipped my card at an SBS machine and it said Invalid. However later on I dipped it on a local bus and the card worked. 

4 hours ago, Xcelsior Man said:

It was not expired and proper money value was in it. 

You have to realize that these machines are OLD and see heavy use. The (MTA) does not believe in getting rid of them, and they will use them until they don't work anymore. Same is true of the fareboxes. I once boarded a brand new bus with a brand new Metrocard with an old farebox, which proceeded to give me an error message, forcing me to have replace a card that I literally just started using, as it could not be read at all.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Earlier I had accidentally dipped my card into the SBS machine for the Q44 but the Q20 came first. So I boarded and dipped my card and it said transfer. I got off at Archer/153rd street and I then get on the N4. It also said transfer which surprised me because I know there are some three legged transfers that are allowed but I didn’t know that it was possible to transfer from the Q44 to the Q20 and another route. What are some other 3 legged transfers that exist? 

For the SIM network you can take a local bus SIM route - Downtown subway station or Midtown local bus route (only certain ones). Heading out, you can take local bus/subway - SIM route - local bus.

For the S79 you can take S59/78 - S79 - local bus/subway in Bay Ridge.

You can take a local bus - SIR - ferry - subway/local bus in Lower Manhattan (I believe anything below Fulton Street). Coming home, the Staten Island local bus has to be one which crosses the SIR south of the SIE (so between Grasmere and Tottenville)

The Q20/Q44 3-legged transfer is probably because the Q44 is SBS (similar to the situation on the S79). Not sure if it applies to all SBS routes, though. 

I believe there is a 3-legged transfer involving the B6 but I am not sure.

5 hours ago, Xcelsior Man said:

It was not expired and proper money value was in it. 

Happens to me constantly...I write in complaints to the MTA when I find particular SBS machines that are constantly giving me this error, but who knows how often repair crews are sent out to repait them

14 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Happens to me constantly...I write in complaints to the MTA when I find particular SBS machines that are constantly giving me this error, but who knows how often repair crews are sent out to repait them

Usually will happen when they receive a certain number of complaints.  It's like the phone/electric/gas companies will often do- ignore a complaint from one person, but if a bunch of people complain about the same thing within a  short timeframe, they fix it LOL.

5 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Usually will happen when they receive a certain number of complaints.  It's like the phone/electric/gas companies will often do- ignore a complaint from one person, but if a bunch of people complain about the same thing within a  short timeframe, they fix it LOL.

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

57 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

Edited by R10 2952