Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Usually will happen when they receive a certain number of complaints.  It's like the phone/electric/gas companies will often do- ignore a complaint from one person, but if a bunch of people complain about the same thing within a  short timeframe, they fix it LOL.

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

  • Thanks 2
  • LMAO! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 35.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

Edited by R10 2952
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

One afternoon I went to Brooklyn to run some errands in my old neighborhood, and we got stuck on the Prospect for a bit. I kid you not. Those automated Rosie announcements played about 20 times one way. I almost lost it... Wayy too loud and the pause between the English and Spanish was too long.That's when I said this has to be fixed. Myself and another advocate out on Staten Island were getting a lot of complaints from passengers, and I know the drivers were sick of it too. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

The Akwafina announcements were just put to the 7 Line for one week only, so it wasn't a huge deal unlike the Rosie Perez reminders that were heard constantly system-wide for a few months.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One afternoon I went to Brooklyn to run some errands in my old neighborhood, and we got stuck on the Prospect for a bit. I kid you not. Those automated Rosie announcements played about 20 times one way. I almost lost it... Wayy too loud and the pause between the English and Spanish was too long.That's when I said this has to be fixed. Myself and another advocate out on Staten Island were getting a lot of complaints from passengers, and I know the drivers were sick of it too. lol

 

And here lies one of the many things wrong with the MTA. They like to bombard people with information instead of keeping it concise. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

I was wondering why I haven't heard those announcements recently. However good riddens to those announcements. I didn't like them for the fact that we are already reminded on a daily to wear masks and the announcements did play way too often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was wondering why I haven't heard those announcements recently. However good riddens to those announcements. I didn't like them for the fact that we are already reminded on a daily to wear masks and the announcements did play way too often. 

I don't know about the local buses, but on the express buses, they were only on lines that has buses that could provide automated announcements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

If anyone is fanning late night in Brooklyn. 7677 SBS bus unit is working the B15 heading towards Woodhull.

Cool - too bad a growing number of those overnight B15's are getting more & more emptier though..... TSA must have orchestrated a round of layoffs or something, IDK....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Cool - too bad a growing number of those overnight B15's are getting more & more emptier though..... TSA must have orchestrated a round of layoffs or something, IDK....

If the airlines go through with layoffs, I would expect the TSA to as well. The clock is ticking for stimulus to be provided...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Cool - too bad a growing number of those overnight B15's are getting more & more emptier though..... TSA must have orchestrated a round of layoffs or something, IDK....

Accurate. Meanwhile the late night headways are like 20-30 minutes at night. TSA & airlines are laying off.  However, the warehouses at the airport are still employing and taking people. Plus with USPS, DHL, UPS and FedEx all at the airport.  They are also employing and recruiting for the holidays (I really don’t know about the holidays this year)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Accurate. Meanwhile the late night headways are like 20-30 minutes at night. TSA & airlines are laying off.  However, the warehouses at the airport are still employing and taking people. Plus with USPS, DHL, UPS and FedEx all at the airport.  They are also employing and recruiting for the holidays (I really don’t know about the holidays this year)

Same as Amazon, with their "high volume" hiring practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, Future ENY OP said:

4107 was involved in an accident on Atlantic & New York. An Audi trying to make a right plowed into the bus. Bus suffered damage to the back driver side pane. From the damage I saw it was the Audi being aggressive and trying to make the turn to New York Avenue. 

The damage must of been minor because that bus is already back in service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4646 is on the Q11. This and the Q21 are normally 100% Old Gens (good lines to get 6500s too), guessing this will become more of a thing as more 3800s come in. 

 

Edit: 6540 is right behind it. Although in previous years I disliked the Arial font numbering on them they've become a part of their character. And 6600 passes as I type this lol

Edited by 4P3607
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Same as Amazon, with their "high volume" hiring practice.

I totally forgot that Amazon has a warehouse at the airport. Thanks for mentioning that.  
 

I know of the one in Maspeth and of course Staten Island. Brooklyn will get it’s Amazon warehouse sometime next year in the Sunset Park/Industry City area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I believe it was Fresh Pond according to some previous bus rosters. 

Actually, it was Yukon that had them first. Fresh Pond didn’t get any NG’s until the BT&E buses came in 2011. (The 90 Orion 3G’s, NewFlyer XD, NovaLFS buses that were testing at Castleton, Queens Village, and Ulmer Park)

Edited by Mpn4179
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe they are temporarily storing local buses at Floyd Benett Field as temporary covid storage. Right now, I believe it's just Brooklyn Division. ENY, FP and FB have buses there. Maybe UP too?

 

EDIT: Nvm this was old news. Disregard.

Edited by danielhg121
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I believe they are temporarily storing local buses at Floyd Benett Field as temporary covid storage. Right now, I believe it's just Brooklyn Division. ENY, FP and FB have buses there. Maybe UP too?

The temporary storage was there back when Covid-19 hits its massive numbers between April up to June (or otherwise when the whole NYC was shut down). 

Edited by Calvin
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Why did (MTA) opt to have you dip MetroCards on buses but swipe them for trains?

Which situation would you have, over what's currently done though?

Do you really want people dipping metrocards to access the subway (NY-ers are already impatient enough as it is & that threshold of impatience is far less tolerable when it comes to the subway, over the bus)? And as far as swiping on a bus, I think space is the issue; some moron'll find an inventive way to injure themselves while swiping around the bus cockpit area & the last thing this f***in agency needs is (paying out) more lawsuits....

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

How else would you pay with coins or get a paper transfer?

I get his point; either mechanism (metrocard reader built into the bus farebox & metrocard reader built into a subway turnstile) still ultimately ends up reading the card..... He's not saying that buses shouldn't have fareboxes....

Edited by B35 via Church
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.