BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I don't know if this has been asked before but why is there 1 MCI D4500CT in both Eastchester and Yonkers Depots (numbered #2247 and 2248)?  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Probably an error... 2247 and 2248 are both at Yonkers Depot and have been for some time now. I get one of them on occasion, so I know they're there.

Actually, 2247 was sent over to Eastchester a few days ago (sometime around the beginning of this month), and 2248 is still at Yonkers. They were both at Yonkers before then.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I don't know if ridership really is as low as it usually is for Christmas week, since there is much less travel than usual. my buses and trains have been more full this week than usual (and include the usual non-mask wearing a**holes)

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The other thing I noticed is that the roads in general are a bit more crowded than expected. Maybe with all the quarantine restrictions, people are staying within NYC (but still traveling) rather than going away for the holidays.

Rhetorical, but something to ponder is just how much airplane travel is down out of the major NYC area airports, in conjunction with the amount of people that are apparently contributing to more public transit patronage & more motorist travel around/about/within the city around this time of year....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Actually, 2247 was sent over to Eastchester a few days ago (sometime around the beginning of this month), and 2248 is still at Yonkers. They were both at Yonkers before then.

They've gone back and forth between the two depots over the course of the last few years to be honest, so I'm not exactly surprised by this. For the most part though, 2247 and 2248 have been at Yonkers. I don't follow the bus moves too closely since I use these lines regularly. I know I took one of them recently though, last week I believe. Here's a question for @danielhg121 Why the question? You make it sound like it's so strange. The other swap that used to happen often is 2906 and  2907 from Yonkers to Eastchester. Hated those buses and remember riding them when I lived on Staten Island.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They've gone back and forth between the two depots over the course of the last few years to be honest, so I'm not exactly surprised by this. For the most part though, 2247 and 2248 have been at Yonkers. I don't follow the bus moves too closely since I use these lines regularly. I know I took one of them recently though, last week I believe. Here's a question for @danielhg121 Why the question? You make it sound like it's so strange. The other swap that used to happen often is 2906 and  2907 from Yonkers to Eastchester. Hated those buses and remember riding them when I lived on Staten Island.

I'm just wondering why there is one bus that seems a bit out of the ordinary among a fleet of D4500CL's.  Wouldn't it be easier keeping them together at one depot than having two separate depots maintain another model of bus? They're probably the same maintenance wise and I'm just rambling here I guess. 

Edited by danielhg121

3 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm just wondering why there is one bus that seems a bit out of the ordinary among a fleet of D4500CL's.  Wouldn't it be easier keeping them together at one depot than having two separate depots maintain another model of bus? They're probably the same maintenance wise and I'm just rambling here I guess. 

I see. Well to be honest, over the years, they have been together, mainly at Yonkers Depot, and I'm not relying on the roster. I'm just speaking from having used them. There were some buses moved around recently in fact from what I can see just riding some of the same buses for years. Sometimes Yonkers and Eastchester even borrow buses from each other for a trip here and there, especially during the winter. I have found over the years that those two buses have been exchanged quite a bit between the two depots, sometimes for short stints.

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Rhetorical, but something to ponder is just how much airplane travel is down out of the major NYC area airports, in conjunction with the amount of people that are apparently contributing to more public transit patronage & more motorist travel around/about/within the city around this time of year....

Interestingly, the big shopping areas like Herald Square have been pretty dead this week, but the areas with more offices and residential areas are as busy as any other pandemic week. Saturday night i took the subway instead of express bus because sixth ave was so full of traffic

1 minute ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Really? Cuz when I went there over the weekend, it was jam-packed... most amount of people I've seen in one place since March.

Yeah, I was actually there yesterday afternoon and it was a goddamn zoo. People walking into me and all, which is annoying in normal times, but really frustrating during covid. Seems like all the shopping districts are at 10x covid norms, and close to normal general. 8th Ave. right now around PABT is a special kind of hell. Nobody wears a mask, everybody screaming and throwing up, sort of like what I think non-New Yorkers picture New York as lol.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Tomorrow, New Years Eve: buses will not be going through Broadway-7 Avenue between 63 St and 41 St. 34 St may be the same as last year when it comes to crowding. 

There's reroutes, but this year the M50 will be rerouted to operate via 57th Street instead of 34th Street like it usually does, as it looks like 57th Street is open this year. The M31 and M57 typically use the 66th Street Transverse as well, but they will be operating normally tomorrow.  

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Really? Cuz when I went there over the weekend, it was jam-packed... most amount of people I've seen in one place since March.

That is so interesting. I was referring to weekdays specifically, and I was there in the mornings. I guess stores have delayed openings now so it was dead when I passed through on my way to work. 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, I was actually there yesterday afternoon and it was a goddamn zoo. People walking into me and all, which is annoying in normal times, but really frustrating during covid. Seems like all the shopping districts are at 10x covid norms, and close to normal general. 8th Ave. right now around PABT is a special kind of hell. Nobody wears a mask, everybody screaming and throwing up, sort of like what I think non-New Yorkers picture New York as lol.

The 1/2/3 stop at 34th Penn is a mess too...every time i go in, the fare control area is full of drug addicts looking like they are going to mug the next person who tries to refill a metrocard. Its quite scary, and I'm a fairly big guy who doesn't usually get intimidated. 

16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The 1/2/3 stop at 34th Penn is a mess too...every time i go in, the fare control area is full of drug addicts looking like they are going to mug the next person who tries to refill a metrocard. Its quite scary, and I'm a fairly big guy who doesn't usually get intimidated. 

At this juncture, I'm not remotely moved by them; they carefully "smell" their targets anyway... They know who not to mess with.

Not to say that I'm bulletproof, but grown men can't be walking around all scary & absent-minded when it comes to street smarts either - especially with the crap that's transpired this calendar year in-particular....

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can I ask why (MTA)never provides express buses as an alternative to subway planned work shutdown? The BxM2 running overnight (or at least every 2 hours overnight) would be a great alternative to the crowded (1) shuttle buses...

The route doesn't even cover any of the stops between Dyckman and 137th (the (1) is still running as a shuttle in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx past 9 PM). It might work for some, but the bus misses all of the route the shuttles cover. Then again, I'm just looking at this from a general point of view. I may be missing the benefit of having any of the Yonkers expresses being beefed up for this particular general order (the late night shutdowns are a whole different story).

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can I ask why (MTA)never provides express buses as an alternative to subway planned work shutdown? The BxM2 running overnight (or at least every 2 hours overnight) would be a great alternative to the crowded (1) shuttle buses...

I'm pretty sure this has been asked (in some form) before, and the reasons boil down to radically different fares and a stark difference in frequency.

The BxM2 is a piss-poor alternative to the (1), given where the stops are located and the hills in Riverdale.

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Oh man..the A/C/E stop is home to the crackhead exchange. They literally have a booth and a couple of males run it, and every homeless person that's around there gives them money in order for beds or whatever they take in terms of drugs. It's insane.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

At this juncture, I'm not remotely moved by them; they carefully "smell" their targets anyway... They know who not to mess with.

Not to say that I'm bulletproof, but grown men can't be walking around all scary & absent-minded when it comes to street smarts either - especially with the crap that's transpired this calendar year in-particular....

6 hours ago, NBTA said:

Oh man..the A/C/E stop is home to the crackhead exchange. They literally have a booth and a couple of males run it, and every homeless person that's around there gives them money in order for beds or whatever they take in terms of drugs. It's insane.

Yeah, the midtown stuff I find off-putting and frustrating more than worrisome. I gotta say, while we're on this, my winner will always, always be the 125th 4/5/6, street-level at the public outdoor fentanyl clinic that is Lex. I don't even get nervous so much of just stunned, since rules don't apply. There's nothing rational or reasonable about it, no street smarts to apply. Last time I was up there I saw a guy passed out in a pool of his own vomit, and a little baggie of heroin next time him under his leg. He rolled over a little and the guy next to me on the sidewalk ran over, stole the heroin from the guy passed out, and went to the side to go shoot up. NYC – take what you can get!

Definitely weird stuff all around though. I had a guy on Allen Street the other week run up to me holding a bike chain telling me he was gonna beat the shit out of me, middle of the day. I just didn't even look him in the eye and kept walking. Types like that waiting for any interaction, any reason at all to get into something. Keep walking and it mostly works. But still, that shouldn't be happening outside of the wee hours.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, the midtown stuff I find off-putting and frustrating more than worrisome. I gotta say, while we're on this, my winner will always, always be the 125th 4/5/6, street-level at the public outdoor fentanyl clinic that is Lex. I don't even get nervous so much of just stunned, since rules don't apply. There's nothing rational or reasonable about it, no street smarts to apply. Last time I was up there I saw a guy passed out in a pool of his own vomit, and a little baggie of heroin next time him under his leg. He rolled over a little and the guy next to me on the sidewalk ran over, stole the heroin from the guy passed out, and went to the side to go shoot up. NYC – take what you can get!

Definitely weird stuff all around though. I had a guy on Allen Street the other week run up to me holding a bike chain telling me he was gonna beat the shit out of me, middle of the day. I just didn't even look him in the eye and kept walking. Types like that waiting for any interaction, any reason at all to get into something. Keep walking and it mostly works. But still, that shouldn't be happening outside of the wee hours.

Jesus christ, that is insane. During the height of covid, I had some teenager run up to me, cough, and say "now you got corona, B****". I too just kept walking as if nothing happened, and that was the end of it, but I was ready to punch this moron out. 

8 hours ago, NBTA said:

That is horrible...I'd say I want to see it with my own eyes, but I'll take your word for it LOL

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That is horrible...I'd say I want to see it with my own eyes, but I'll take your word for it LOL

The craziest thing, luckily I was walking by, but I saw a group of crack-heads rob one of the crack-heads, cause the robbie's (person getting robbed) girlfriend wanted to kill him for some odd reason. I thought I seen it all, but that took the cake, and it was in the same block, just across the street.

Edited by NBTA