BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

16 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A few months ago, a shirtless homeless man boarded a BxM9 express bus and passed out on the floor in the middle of the bus, apparently high on something, and he isn't the only one that has boarded, not paid, smelled up the bus, etc.

I woulda made the B/O pull over and if the B/O wasn't going to kick the druggie off the bus, I would be hopping right off. If I wanted to see that ridiculousness I would've taken the subway.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, Cait Sith said:

As an everyday commuter of that station, that's quite a stretch....you see more of that happening on the 1/2/3 side(especially by the 33rd Street entrance) than anywhere on the A/C/E side of things.

I specifically walk into Penn or to 28th St to avoid this if I'm in Midtown West.

Just ain't worth the uncomfortable feeling nor the contact high.

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Listen, he ran on the idea of addressing homelessness, and making the City a more "level playing field". Instead, he's been spending his two terms in office in bed with the developers lining his pockets. Under his watch, the homeless problem has only worsened, and is at critical levels. We have over 70,000 homeless people now, many of them families, including kids. This is on him. This is his second term in office, so he can't blame anyone else. He's had time to implement his plans. The City has spent BILLIONS on the homeless.

DeBlasio, like Rahm Emanuel, is one of those politicos who's great at the campaign stuff and administration staffer stuff but isn't a leader or "politician". He's the "middle manager" who takes orders from the actual leader and does well. But he's never someone in your and my world who should ever be made a District Manager, VP of anything, or a Chief of Staff.

He doesn't have the ego required, nor the passion to have a vision and make it happen.

He could've had a decent political career if he went from city council to the legislature, but he effed around and became mayor and messed up his future.

Maybe McKinsey will hire him.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

DeBlasio, like Rahm Emanuel, is one of those politicos who's great at the campaign stuff and administration staffer stuff but isn't a leader or "politician". He's the "middle manager" who takes orders from the actual leader and does well. But he's never someone in your and my world who should ever be made a District Manager, VP of anything, or a Chief of Staff.

Rahm Emanuel is infinitely worse than DeBlasio. With DeBlasio, he's doesn't know what he's doing half the time when he's not serving his interests. Rahm Emanuel intentionally does stuff and knows what he's doing. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note:

There is a new pick that goes into effect tomorrow I believe, and the MTA has updated timetables, however they look, err, different. You be the judge of the new timetable format. The Q20 bus timetable is new but has the previous format as well, so there's inconsistencies already. Additionally, all the routes with enhanced overnight service once again don't list the extra overnight service. 

I will say though, I have seen scoops of service increases here and there by just a quick glance, but I don't know too much about cuts.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

26 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Rahm Emanuel is infinitely worse than DeBlasio. With DeBlasio, he's doesn't know what he's doing half the time when he's not serving his interests. Rahm Emanuel intentionally does stuff and knows what he's doing. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note:

There is a new pick that goes into effect tomorrow I believe, and the MTA has updated timetables, however they look, err, different. You be the judge of the new timetable format. The Q20 bus timetable is new but has the previous format as well, so there's inconsistencies already. Additionally, all the routes with enhanced overnight service once again don't list the extra overnight service. 

I will say though, I have seen scoops of service increases here and there by just a quick glance, but I don't know too much about cuts.

I just saw the new time tables. What the hell did I just look at? And there's still no transfers on the map

35 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On another note:

There is a new pick that goes into effect tomorrow I believe, and the MTA has updated timetables, however they look, err, different. You be the judge of the new timetable format.

*shrugs*

It's whatever to me.... I prefer a smaller font size, but this is definitely more beneficial for those that have trouble reading the older ones... Definitely not worse than NICE's new timetable format, AFAIC....

The letters in parentheses (for the time points) appear to be purposeless; the time points are stated/spelled out in the header/cells themselves.... I mean, I know Peninsula starts with a P, Archer starts with an A, Hillside starts with an H, etc....

The one thing that would've been dope IMO with the older timetables though, is if they customized "#3904" (the bus in the "cover" page) with a sample destination sign for each route, instead of simply portraying it with a blank destination sign....

7 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I just saw the new time tables. What the hell did I just look at? And there's still no transfers on the map

To be perfectly honest, I didn't care much for how the xfers were displayed on the map off the old timetables, so I can't rile myself up to feeling some type of way over the absence of them on these new ones.... What I will say is, FWIW, there is more than enough whitespace on the right of the routing depiction/map there to simply list the xfer points in a small table or whatever....

Edited by B35 via Church

32 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On another note:

Any cuts for the Brooklyn & Manhattan Divisions? 

55 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Is that the end of the "Take One" era on buses?

Edited by RapidoNewLook

You can see that Cummins facility in the BX from the Q44 bus. I remember seeing Bee Line NABI's in that lot years ago.

There also used to be an Cummins shop in the NJ off the turnpike that I would see MTA Buses at from via NJ express buses. I don't think its there anymore as whenever I ride past the area where it was, the Cummins sign isn't there anymore nor any buses in the lot. 

(This was being discussed in the moves/transfers thread)

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On another note:

The hell is that thing! Only the MTA would take a reasonably sensible, compact 3-4 page guide and produce a 30 page document that looks like an Excel spreadsheet instead. The schedules have been fine and useful for 25 years. They fix what isn't broken and then they break it. 

A route example of this stupid philosophy: M1 to South Ferry, M6 to South Ferry, M5 to Houston --> M5 to South Ferry, M1 to East Village --> M5 to Midtown, M55 to South Ferry, M1 to Grand St --> M1 to Worth St.

Net score: Park Av. loses all bus service, 6th Av. loses Limited service, the M5 is a stub route into Midtown, the M1 runs an exact duplicate of the 2/3/55, and nobody rides the M55. Victory!

Adding on to the new schedule debacle, they separated the Bx1 and Bx2 schedules... the Bx1 has the new format and the Bx2 has the old one, but both of the maps on the schedules show the Bx1 AND Bx2.

Bx1: https://new.mta.info/document/7266
Bx2: https://new.mta.info/document/7271

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

A route example of this stupid philosophy: M1 to South Ferry, M6 to South Ferry, M5 to Houston --> M5 to South Ferry, M1 to East Village --> M5 to Midtown, M55 to South Ferry, M1 to Grand St --> M1 to Worth St.

Net score: Park Av. loses all bus service, 6th Av. loses Limited service, the M5 is a stub route into Midtown, the M1 runs an exact duplicate of the 2/3/55, and nobody rides the M55. Victory!

Today's M5/M55 would have one believe that the ridership pattern of the old M5 (Greenwich Village - GWB) consisted of riders tanking out from either end of the route in Midtown (b/w Herald Sq. & Bryant Park), which was never the case.... Said rendition of the M5 addressed multiple overlapping patterns south of that aforementioned part of Midtown & the M6 complemented it from 59th, with addt'l coverage on down to S. Ferry..... It was the perfect storm..... Instead of providing overlapping service (old M5/M6 pattern) between 59th & Houston, there's only an overlap, within Midtown, between 31st & 44th.... MTA can keep their eyes wide shut when it comes to these things, but mines are wide tf open......

Among other things, this is why the M55 is basically an afterthought & the M5 from the north dies around Columbus Circle....

30 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Adding on to the new schedule debacle, they separated the Bx1 and Bx2 schedules... the Bx1 has the new format and the Bx2 has the old one, but both of the maps on the schedules show the Bx1 AND Bx2.

....now let's see if they start separating the ridership stats for the two routes.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Today's M5/M55 would have one believe that the ridership pattern of the old M5 (Greenwich Village - GWB) consisted of riders tanking out from either end of the route in Midtown (b/w Herald Sq. & Bryant Park), which was never the case.... Said rendition of the M5 addressed multiple overlapping patterns south of that aforementioned part of Midtown & the M6 complemented it from 59th, with addt'l coverage on down to S. Ferry..... It was the perfect storm..... Instead of providing overlapping service (old M5/M6 pattern) between 59th & Houston, there's only an overlap, within Midtown, between 31st & 44th.... MTA can keep their eyes wide shut when it comes to these things, but mines are wide tf open......

Among other things, this is why the M55 is basically an afterthought & the M5 from the north dies around Columbus Circle....

100%. And they ignored all the old patterns, like people going between the UWS and Greenwich Village, was extremely common; or the people working in the East Midtown area who took the M1 towards South Ferry, also common. Herald Square isn't a destination for people on the M5, least of all Penn Station, etc. The M55 is what it is, but it isn't as effective as the M6 was, it's on a duplicate on a duplicate via 5th, and there's still no Limited on 6th. Whole thing is so silly. And the worst part is all of us watched the car crash in live action: M5 gets extended way, way too far, ruining a route that had worked for more than 75 years, then the overextended route gets cut, and they get cute about it and cut it too far. Senseless.

8 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I actually like the new timetables, but it's sad to see the old ones go.

19 hours ago, Deucey said:

He doesn't have the ego required, nor the passion to have a vision and make it happen.

He could've had a decent political career if he went from city council to the legislature, but he effed around and became mayor and messed up his future.

Maybe McKinsey will hire him.

His work ethic is appalling. His tardiness for meetings should've been a big sign that he wasn't going to be an effective mayor. He shows up LATE to everything. 

22 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I woulda made the B/O pull over and if the B/O wasn't going to kick the druggie off the bus, I would be hopping right off. If I wanted to see that ridiculousness I would've taken the subway.

lol I think he fell out on the floor while they were on the expressway. Someone took a photo of it in my group. The driver seemed completely out of their league. He eventually got off at the first or second stop.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

His work ethic is appalling. His tardiness for meetings should've been a big sign that he wasn't going to be an effective mayor. He shows up LATE to everything. 

I feel like the "rift" between Cuomo and DeBlasio stems partially from this and from Cuomo likely realizing and telling him he isn't a leader - he's a manager, and DeBlasio having a "response".

Look at how Cuomo outmaneuvered DeBlasio with little actual effort non-stop since 2014.

Add to it the PBA posts nudes of his daughter and DeBlasio did nothing? Eunuchs and castratos are more manly than Billy; Anthony Weiner would've been a better mayor.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, B35 via Church said:

No it isn't actually correct; far from it..... What they have illustrated as far as that goes is dead wrong.... Eastbound M60's aren't turning off the bridge at 21st street. Stop it.

Yeah, and the SBS stop is still colored blue, even though they changed the color of the M60 line on the map to orange:lol:

On 12/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, Lawrence St said:

Oh you right, woops! Haven't had my coffee yet.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, GojiMet86 said:

Technically, the M60 comes off at 29 Street and not 21 Street. I think they show the southbound coming off at 21 because on the map, the stop is on top of 29 Street, so drawing the southbound line on top would make it confusing.

The problem is that they also forgot to put the stop on the northbound side. They separated the stops at 82 Street but not at 29 Street.

......And it turns out the westbound M60 has gone back to its original stop by the square on Hoyt Avenue, so there is no point at all in having that little deviation.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

I feel like the "rift" between Cuomo and DeBlasio stems partially from this and from Cuomo likely realizing and telling him he isn't a leader - he's a manager, and DeBlasio having a "response".

Look at how Cuomo outmaneuvered DeBlasio with little actual effort non-stop since 2014.

Add to it the PBA posts nudes of his daughter and DeBlasio did nothing? Eunuchs and castratos are more manly than Billy; Anthony Weiner would've been a better mayor.

The PBA didn't actually do this, right? Please tell me that's a hypothetical.

I'm trying to ride the Q111 trip thru Cedarhurst. It used to be five trips in each direction. Now its down to one. 

Does anybody know where do youpick up the Q111 towards Jamaica at Rockaway Turnpike. It seems like that stretch of the Q111/114 does not even have signs to note where the bus stops