BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

People talking a page before about how bad parts of Midtown have gotten in the last year or two, but honestly:  the whole area bordered by 23rd and 42nd, Park Ave S and 8th-9th Aves has been like that since the mid '70s.  It's one of those more overlooked parts of Manhattan below 59th that never got cleaned up.

Nobody with any common sense hangs around there longer than they have to, especially after 8 PM on weekdays- it becomes like Escape From New York.  The whole situation that's been going on there for decades now definitely sucks, but until something gets done, it is what it is.

Edited by R10 2952

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

People talking a page before about how bad parts of Midtown have gotten in the last year or two, but honestly:  the whole area bordered by 23rd and 42nd, Park Ave S and 8th-9th Aves has been like that since the mid '70s.  It's one of those more overlooked parts of Manhattan below 59th that never got cleaned up.

Nobody with any common sense hangs around there longer than they have to, especially after 8 PM on weekdays- it becomes like Escape From New York.  The whole situation that's been going on there for decades now definitely sucks, but until something gets done, it is what it is.

Cool, but nobody here's trying to paint that area like it was so great before the increasingly conspicuous influx of homeless/druggies on the streets though...

36 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

I actually never found that area overall to be that bad and I’ve been in that area plenty of times late at night. Within the area you are referring to, the Port Authority Bus terminal, Penn Station, Times Square and Herald Square tend to be the big hot spots for the homeless. You do see a few of them along 7th & 8th Aves as well as Broadway but the more East you go the better it tends to be. What you see even along 7/8th and Broadway in between 42-34th and south of 34th to 23rd streets does not compare to the hotspots I pointed out earlier. 

1 minute ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I actually never found that area overall to be that bad and I’ve been in that area plenty of times late at night. Within the area you are referring to, the Port Authority Bus terminal, Penn Station, Times Square and Herald Square tend to be the big hot spots for the homeless. You do see a few of them along 7th & 8th Aves as well as Broadway but the more East you go the better it tends to be. What you see even along 7/8th and Broadway in between 42-34th and south of 34th to 23rd streets does not compare to the hotspots I pointed out earlier. 

It's much more "in your face" on the west side of midtown than it is on the east....

10 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Eh you'd be surprised; I've seen some serious shit go down on several different occasions in that triangle of blocks between Broadway and Park.  Penn may be the gold-medalist in the cringe category, but that doesn't mean it's the only participant on the podium that is Midtown South.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know this is the Random Thoughts Thread, but boy what a who cares post that was. 

Just now, Snorunts said:

I know. Bus operators are allowed to work out last time I checked. They are people lol.

Kit Kat's > Hershey's anyway.

Seriously speaking though, among many other things, it is this type of increasingly nitpicky attitude from passengers that has had b/o's over the years being/becoming less sociable.... I remember when there was a certain rapport between b/o's & passengers (especially during the PBL days) that was FAR more cordial.... I would never engage in it, but it was good to see from others - and this is coming from the introverted asocialite here.

Although dude didn't take any pictures & was just stating an observation, quite frankly I'm just sick & tired of the whole "Gotcha!" candid camera shit overall (which is how his post came across as being conveyed like).....

8 hours ago, lil hershey said:

A Fresh Pond Bus Driver was doing a push up on the 6th Ave Subway Bench

Back in the days buses didn't have power steering which kept B/O's in shape. I heard of an B/O who drove old school buses like the fishbowl stayed in shape due to how physically demanding driving those buses were. He started to drive more modern day buses and he got a gut lol.

The thing I'm wondering is, don't bus depots have gyms? I'd rather workout at a depot gym than do pushups on a dirty subway bench in the covid era. 

Edited by trainfan22

13 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Back in the days buses didn't have power steering which kept B/O's in shape. I heard of an B/O who drove old school buses like the fishbowl stayed in shape due to how physically demanding driving those buses were. He started to drive more modern day buses and he got a gut lol.

The thing I'm wondering is, don't bus depots have gyms? I'd rather workout at a depot gym than do pushups on a dirty subway bench in the covid era. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to do any exercises on benches or in a gym during a nasty pandemic.

Edited by Lex

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Personally, I wouldn't want to do any exercises on benches or in a gym during a nasty pandemic.

I just canceled my Blink membership a couple days ago cause of covid. Thinking about buying some resistance bands for home workouts.

Edited by trainfan22

11 hours ago, lil hershey said:

A Fresh Pond Bus Driver was doing a push up on the 6th Ave Subway Bench

Speak to us again once you report all of the buses on a weekday rush hour failing to arrive within one minute of their scheduled arrival time at each stop.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

Had a real genius B/O on the M15 local today...totally blew past the stop 3 of us were at, so I ran to the next stop and caught the bus, where the B/O proceeded to argue with me that the stop he missed was only a Select stop, which was totally incorrect. I even showed him the stop on Bustime, but he didn't care. 

I also had a QM6 today with LaGuardia stickers, and the emergency exit bar that holds the window on place was broken where I was sitting, so the window kept flapping in the wind. At least it increased clean airflow lol . 

26 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Had a real genius B/O on the M15 local today...totally blew past the stop 3 of us were at, so I ran to the next stop and caught the bus, where the B/O proceeded to argue with me that the stop he missed was only a Select stop, which was totally incorrect. I even showed him the stop on Bustime, but he didn't care. 

I also had a QM6 today with LaGuardia stickers, and the emergency exit bar that holds the window on place was broken where I was sitting, so the window kept flapping in the wind. At least it increased clean airflow lol . 

I sped-read this & I was like, damn, this dude fast as shit..... I initially misread it; thought it said this b/o blew past 3 stops & you caught up to it ! :lol:

Anyway, I've been on several buses where the window started swaying while in motion.... One thing I simply won't do is attempt to hold the window in place.... It's always another passenger that would blurt out that the window back there is open (or something to that effect).... Every single time, the b/o had a nonchalant attitude to being informed of it.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I sped-read this & I was like, damn, this dude fast as shit..... I initially misread it; thought it said this b/o blew past 3 stops & you caught up to it ! :lol:

Anyway, I've been on several buses where the window started swaying while in motion.... One thing I simply won't do is attempt to hold the window in place.... It's always another passenger that would blurt out that the window back there is open (or something to that effect).... Every single time, the b/o had a nonchalant attitude to being informed of it.

Hahaha, yeah, i assumed it would set off some sort of alarm, like when you open the emergency break on the subway, but nope, didn't seem to have any effect 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

That can actually be easily fixed... In fact it's even part of the pre-trip to open one of the windows and let it slam back into place to confirm that they are "functioning". That red latch is simple.

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

That can actually be easily fixed... In fact it's even part of the pre-trip to open one of the windows and let it slam back into place to confirm that they are "functioning". That red latch is simple.

For all the windows? Dam, I wonder how much tiring that is on an artic lmao.

Speaking of artics, has there been any update to the artic pilot in Staten Island?

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wasn't there some dude who got mad a bus passed him up, *ran* to catch up to it, and then pulled a gun on the driver? Or some type of crazy ass shit like that.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, Deucey said:

I feel like the "rift" between Cuomo and DeBlasio stems partially from this and from Cuomo likely realizing and telling him he isn't a leader - he's a manager, and DeBlasio having a "response".

Look at how Cuomo outmaneuvered DeBlasio with little actual effort non-stop since 2014.

Add to it the PBA posts nudes of his daughter and DeBlasio did nothing? Eunuchs and castratos are more manly than Billy; Anthony Weiner would've been a better mayor.

Carlos Danger for Mayor. All the pretty girls join my onlyfans for my special sausage show ;)