BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, Future ENY OP said:

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-news/mta-de-blasio-say-late-night-subway-cleanings-will-continue

Overnight bus service will continue for the foreseeable future.

Of course it will....

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

130003 is in service, not sure which line.

A 6 digit bus number? Cool!

49 minutes ago, Lex said:

Did you mean 1303 or 1300-03?

What would the latter signify though?

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

At first I thought @Lawrence St was talking about an NJT bus and simply posted in the wrong subforum. But most likely hes talking about an MTA bus and made an typo.

So did I - then I realized it was 6 digits instead of 5.

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of reduced headways in transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

Edited by Calvin

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of lack of transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

I never really noticed that until just now. Huh.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of reduced headways in transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

No. That service is really geared towards Sea Gate, not Coney Island. The service ends and starts just outside of Sea Gate, in Coney Island, but says Sea Gate, so that is who they are targeting. The (MTA) does study demographics. Not that Sea Gate is so monied, but they could pull some riders from there. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No. That service is really geared towards Sea Gate, not Coney Island. The service ends and starts just outside of Sea Gate, in Coney Island, but says Sea Gate, so that is who they are targeting. The (MTA) does study demographics. Not that Sea Gate is so monied, but they could pull some riders from there. 

I think the question was why Sea Gate's weekend span of express bus service is less fragmented than on weekdays, according to the schedule. As it stands, during middays, Sea Gate has no service on weekdays but every trip goes there on weekends.

Edited by P3F

12 minutes ago, P3F said:

I think the question was why Sea Gate gets more express bus service on weekends than weekdays, according to the schedule.

A few reasons.... It only takes about 10 minutes from Canal and Cropsey to Sea Gate, so why not? The idea is to try to pick up a few more passengers while not exerting much more mileage or run time. During the week, the ridership from Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst is much heavier, which is why you need more service for those areas, hence the short turns at Cropsey and Canal.  That's basically what it comes down to. I have used the X28 for over ten years, getting it in Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and in Coney Island. Not much ridership in Coney Island itself, so you get a few people from Sea Gate.

Same deal with why the QM2 serves Mitchell Gardens on weekends. That was done to try to generate more ridership, while not adding much more mileage/run-time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Don't overthink it.... It's a ridership grab.

48 minutes ago, P3F said:

Does anyone know the story behind the bus stop in this street view? When did the B82 Limited ever go to W 37 St and Mermaid Av of all places?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5748986,-74.0028446,3a,38.4y,35.23h,93.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s33TgcR4KmV6IhCrlDnGjrA!2e0!5s20130101T000000!7i13312!8i6656

There's no story to it; it's nothing more than somebody's f*** up.... Pretty sure there's other mislabeled bus stops throughout the city.

I’m using the MTA’s app to track the Q17 and it is tracking a run that is missing. It literally shows the bus turning onto the Horace Harding from Kissena Blvd to the stop that I’m at. Of course there isn’t a bus in real life but it’s interesting how it’s showing the bus in motion as if it was actually running. 

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m using the MTA’s app to track the Q17 and it is tracking a run that is missing. It literally shows the bus turning onto the Horace Harding from Kissena Blvd to the stop that I’m at. Of course there isn’t a bus in real life but it’s interesting how it’s showing the bus in motion as if it was actually running. 

Was it one with the bus square icon? if so those are estimated arrival times.