Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

15 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't really get the whole notion that bus lanes are going to bring a car apocalypse to Flushing, because Flushing is already a car apocalypse. You haven't been able to "quickly" drop someone off, let alone find parking, in Flushing anywhere between the post office and Northern for at least the last 15 years. You couldn't pay me to drive in the actual gridlock that is Downtown Flushing.

At least with a bus lane some people (the bus riders) will actually be able to move down the street.

I remember a time before the DOT implement no turn rules and made some changes to the street directions in Flushing it could very well take 10-15 minutes to get from Main Street/Kissena Blvd to Main Street-Northern Blvd on the bus due to how bad traffic was. Things over the years has improved quite a bit but the implementation of a busway on Main Street kind of surprises me. I never thought it would happen due to opposition. I thought Roosevelt Ave between Prince Street and Union street would have been turned into a busway. If Roosevelt Ave were chosen over Main Street I could see some routes being shifted onto Roosevelt Ave to take advantage of the bus only like the Q27 the Q65 and the Q58 maybe even the Q13, Q16 and Q28 as well. 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I remember a time before the DOT implement no turn rules and made some changes to the street directions in Flushing it could very well take 10-15 minutes to get from Main Street/Kissena Blvd to Main Street-Northern Blvd on the bus due to how bad traffic was. Things over the years has improved quite a bit but the implementation of a busway on Main Street kind of surprises me. I never thought it would happen due to opposition. I thought Roosevelt Ave between Prince Street and Union street would have been turned into a busway. If Roosevelt Ave were chosen over Main Street I could see some routes being shifted onto Roosevelt Ave to take advantage of the bus only like the Q27 the Q65 and the Q58 maybe even the Q13, Q16 and Q28 as well. 

I would imagine that the DOT really wants to have as few left turns from Main to Roosevelt or vice versa as possible, and if you don't allow left turns at that intersection I don't really see how you could do a reasonable routing of the Q27 and the other Kissena routes as well.

There have been various proposals over the years, including off-street terminals somewhere in Flushing, but it would be pretty hard to site a terminal where buses would not still be traveling through Main & Roosevelt, or making an excessive amount of turns, because the street grid and all the one-ways mean there aren't great paths off of Main St or Kissena to anywhere.

Main and Roosevelt really should be an all-way stop pedestrian cycle, the pedestrian volumes are far too high for turns and people crossing the street at the same time to make any sense at all.

Since when did they have the Q17 last drop-off stop in Jamaica (along Merrick, just short of Jamaica av) also be the first pickup stop now?

The first pickup stop of the Q17 in Jamaica (back towards Flushing) used to be across the street, mid-block, behind the Q20/Q44 stop.... Increase the amount of short turns b/w Fresh Meadows & Flushing (speaking of which) where that route is most needed, decrease the amt. of Jamaica trips & just have those that are leftover be thrown inside 165th already... Sorry to break up the MTABus party in that section of the terminal (Lol), but there is space back there..... I'd even go as far as to say curbside parking on that whole western side of Merrick b/w 89th av & Jamaica av. be banned - especially the closer you get to Jamaica av.....

Speaking of banning things, something else that should be banned are all those taxi's that impede the damn Q48 along Roosevelt (among other things), just west of Main st on that corner there... Given the traffic nightmare that Roosevelt/Main already is, buses (Q48's) shouldn't be exacerbating matters because taxi's are exacerbating matters by having Q48's go around them, just to get to the current Q48 1st pickup stop in Flushing... It's the stupidest shit & the phenomenon's been pervasive for years now...

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Since when did they have the Q17 last drop-off stop in Jamaica (along Merrick, just short of Jamaica av) also be the first pickup stop now?

The first pickup stop of the Q17 in Jamaica (back towards Flushing) used to be across the street, mid-block, behind the Q20/Q44 stop.... Increase the amount of short turns b/w Fresh Meadows & Flushing (speaking of which) where that route is most needed, decrease the amt. of Jamaica trips & just have those that are leftover be thrown inside 165th already... Sorry to break up the MTABus party in that section of the terminal (Lol), but there is space back there..... I'd even go as far as to say curbside parking on that whole western side of Merrick b/w 89th av & Jamaica av. be banned - especially the closer you get to Jamaica av.....

Speaking of banning things, something else that should be banned are all those taxi's that impede the damn Q48 along Roosevelt (among other things), just west of Main st on that corner there... Given the traffic nightmare that Roosevelt/Main already is, buses (Q48's) shouldn't be exacerbating matters because taxi's are exacerbating matters by having Q48's go around them, just to get to the current Q48 1st pickup stop in Flushing... It's the stupidest shit & the phenomenon's been pervasive for years now...

For a few years now to allow more space for the artics on the Q44.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

For a few years now to allow more space for the artics on the Q44.

The Q17 & the Q20/44 stops on that block (Merrick b/w Archer & Jamaica) were swapped to initially allow for more space for artics for the Q44... Q17 used to stop on the corner of Merrick/Archer & the Q20/44 used to stop mid-block.... Sometime after (because it wasn't instantaneous), to allow for even more space for artics, the (then, new) mid-block stop for the Q17 became a pickup only stop, with last dropoffs & layovers taking place on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica.... It is only relatively recently that stop in question became a last dropoff/layover/first pickup stop; no longer than before 2019.... I doubt it was done for even, even more space for artics for the Q44, because both Q17 stops:

• the (currently discontinued) mid-block stop on Merrick b/w Archer & Jamaica, and...
  • the current (now, all purpose) stop on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica

...both have those orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notices appended to them....

Come to think of it, 2019 was around the time that construction kicked off over there for those new apartments, across the street from that Home Depot (168th st. side).... It was also around the time the Q30/31 got diverted to running along Jamaica av. in both directions east of a certain point (think that's 153rd, or wherever NB buses turn off Archer at).... The previous:

• Archer/168th stop for the NB Q30/31, and the...
  • Pickup only stop, mid-block, on Merrick b/w Jamaica & Archer for the Q17

...are both temporarily discontinued (with that same orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notice appended to them).

Basically what I'm saying is that, what's going on with the terminal situation for the Q17 is part of a domino effect, due to that very construction of that apt. bldg on 168/Archer.... I notice that buses, in turn, now turn off at Jamaica instead of running down Merrick to Archer... That is something that's been done to the Q17 that is even more recent than the layover & last dropoff stop of the Q17 being a pickup stop..... I wonder when did that happen exactly, as well....

The whole thing making even even more space for the Q44 is a bonus/side effect of said construction... If that was intentional (for more space for the Q44), then there wouldn't be that orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notice at the current, now all-purpose Q17 stop.... There would just be a lollipop style bus stop pole on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica reading Q17 (on the left side) & Flushing (on the right side) & that would be the end of it....

Edited by B35 via Church

11 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I would imagine that the DOT really wants to have as few left turns from Main to Roosevelt or vice versa as possible, and if you don't allow left turns at that intersection I don't really see how you could do a reasonable routing of the Q27 and the other Kissena routes as well.

There have been various proposals over the years, including off-street terminals somewhere in Flushing, but it would be pretty hard to site a terminal where buses would not still be traveling through Main & Roosevelt, or making an excessive amount of turns, because the street grid and all the one-ways mean there aren't great paths off of Main St or Kissena to anywhere.

Main and Roosevelt really should be an all-way stop pedestrian cycle, the pedestrian volumes are far too high for turns and people crossing the street at the same time to make any sense at all.

I would have the Q27 and Q65 run via Parsons Blvd to Roosevelt Ave.

You are right though, the pedestrian volume is very high in downtown Flushing. Almost as bad as Times Square. The problem I see overall with Flushing is that it is over developed in such a little space and does not have enough big roads that can move traffic along. Jamaica doesn’t have that issue nearly as bad, because there is Archer Ave, Jamaica Ave, Hillside Ave, Parsons Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and etc. What could have alleviated the problem in Flushing is an extension of the (7) further out east so that there aren’t tons of buses serving the area around one train station. Of course nowadays any type of extension is near impossible because there isn’t any room for it. 

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It’s been maybe a year and some months since the Q17’s first and last stop was on Merrick Blvd & Jamaica Ave. What is new to me is that Q17’s turn onto Jamaica Ave and then onto 168th street rather than go down to Archer to then turn onto 168th. I can see the Q17’s first stop being changed again due to how dangerous it is to have the Q17 trying to turn left onto Jamaica Ave while the Q6, Q8,Q9 and Q41 try to turn right. 

If you want to have the Q17 in the bus terminal I don’t think you have to put it on the MTA bus side. I would simply have the Q17 take one of the Q1’s slots since the Q1 is not even frequent enough to justify it having two spaces and if they need another one they can move the N1 and N26 to the corner of Merrick Blvd & 89th Ave and move the other routes down one slot. The Q17 would then follow all the other 165th terminal route instead of going to Jamaica Ave and then 168th street. 

The Q6, Q8 and Q41 have been having the same issue with the taxi’s for years on Sutphin Blvd & Archer Ave. I’ve seen the NYPD get behind the taxi’s and force them to move but they just return later. What they need to do is paint a bus lane there and put cameras there so that every vehicle that is not a bus, emergency vehicle or MTA vehicle gets a ticket. 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s been maybe a year and some months since the Q17’s first and last stop was on Merrick Blvd & Jamaica Ave. What is new to me is that Q17’s turn onto Jamaica Ave and then onto 168th street rather than go down to Archer to then turn onto 168th. I can see the Q17’s first stop being changed again due to how dangerous it is to have the Q17 trying to turn left onto Jamaica Ave while the Q6, Q8,Q9 and Q41 try to turn right. 

If you want to have the Q17 in the bus terminal I don’t think you have to put it on the MTA bus side. I would simply have the Q17 take one of the Q1’s slots since the Q1 is not even frequent enough to justify it having two spaces and if they need another one they can move the N1 and N26 to the corner of Merrick Blvd & 89th Ave and move the other routes down one slot. The Q17 would then follow all the other 165th terminal route instead of going to Jamaica Ave and then 168th street. 

The Q6, Q8 and Q41 have been having the same issue with the taxi’s for years on Sutphin Blvd & Archer Ave. I’ve seen the NYPD get behind the taxi’s and force them to move but they just return later. What they need to do is paint a bus lane there and put cameras there so that every vehicle that is not a bus, emergency vehicle or MTA vehicle gets a ticket.

Yeah, that makes more sense than it being a few years, because it wasn't that long ago where I boarded a Q17 at its (now old) pickup stop.... I don't necessarily disagree with changing the stop, but where else would they move it to, if not for inside 165th? As for where inside 165th, you can't have it terminating at that side of the terminal, because that would require buses backing up out of the lanes all the way on Merrick itself, or require backing up & hanging a left (instead of that right turn buses normally do) to shoot across all the other buses that are parked in whichever lanes they're occupying at the time...

On 1/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, Future ENY OP said:

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-news/mta-de-blasio-say-late-night-subway-cleanings-will-continue

Overnight bus service will continue for the foreseeable future.

Of course it will....

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

130003 is in service, not sure which line.

A 6 digit bus number? Cool!

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

130003 is in service, not sure which line.

Did you mean 1303 or 1300-03?

• LMAO! 1

49 minutes ago, Lex said:

Did you mean 1303 or 1300-03?

What would the latter signify though?

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

At first I thought @Lawrence St was talking about an NJT bus and simply posted in the wrong subforum. But most likely hes talking about an MTA bus and made an typo.

So did I - then I realized it was 6 digits instead of 5.

• LMAO! 1

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What would the latter signify though?

It would be an odd way of covering 1300, 1303, and the pair in between.

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of reduced headways in transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

Edited by Calvin

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of lack of transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

I never really noticed that until just now. Huh.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I'm wondering on the X28: The route in Brooklyn ends at Canal Av by the Shore Pkwy expressway on weekday middays. On weekends, it runs to W.37 St via Surf Av where the B36 ends. Is it because of reduced headways in transportation during weekends that the route extends south of Canal Av?

No. That service is really geared towards Sea Gate, not Coney Island. The service ends and starts just outside of Sea Gate, in Coney Island, but says Sea Gate, so that is who they are targeting. The (MTA) does study demographics. Not that Sea Gate is so monied, but they could pull some riders from there. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No. That service is really geared towards Sea Gate, not Coney Island. The service ends and starts just outside of Sea Gate, in Coney Island, but says Sea Gate, so that is who they are targeting. The (MTA) does study demographics. Not that Sea Gate is so monied, but they could pull some riders from there. 

I think the question was why Sea Gate's weekend span of express bus service is less fragmented than on weekdays, according to the schedule. As it stands, during middays, Sea Gate has no service on weekdays but every trip goes there on weekends.

Edited by P3F

12 minutes ago, P3F said:

I think the question was why Sea Gate gets more express bus service on weekends than weekdays, according to the schedule.

A few reasons.... It only takes about 10 minutes from Canal and Cropsey to Sea Gate, so why not? The idea is to try to pick up a few more passengers while not exerting much more mileage or run time. During the week, the ridership from Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst is much heavier, which is why you need more service for those areas, hence the short turns at Cropsey and Canal.  That's basically what it comes down to. I have used the X28 for over ten years, getting it in Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and in Coney Island. Not much ridership in Coney Island itself, so you get a few people from Sea Gate.

Same deal with why the QM2 serves Mitchell Gardens on weekends. That was done to try to generate more ridership, while not adding much more mileage/run-time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Don't overthink it.... It's a ridership grab.

48 minutes ago, P3F said:

Does anyone know the story behind the bus stop in this street view? When did the B82 Limited ever go to W 37 St and Mermaid Av of all places?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5748986,-74.0028446,3a,38.4y,35.23h,93.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s33TgcR4KmV6IhCrlDnGjrA!2e0!5s20130101T000000!7i13312!8i6656

There's no story to it; it's nothing more than somebody's f*** up.... Pretty sure there's other mislabeled bus stops throughout the city.

• Upvote 1

I’m using the MTA’s app to track the Q17 and it is tracking a run that is missing. It literally shows the bus turning onto the Horace Harding from Kissena Blvd to the stop that I’m at. Of course there isn’t a bus in real life but it’s interesting how it’s showing the bus in motion as if it was actually running. 

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m using the MTA’s app to track the Q17 and it is tracking a run that is missing. It literally shows the bus turning onto the Horace Harding from Kissena Blvd to the stop that I’m at. Of course there isn’t a bus in real life but it’s interesting how it’s showing the bus in motion as if it was actually running. 

Was it one with the bus square icon? if so those are estimated arrival times.