BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, service will be curtailed. It isn't clear yet by how much, but likely around 20%, maybe more.

What days is service said to be curtailed? What days will the snow loans be out?

Edited by happy283

3 minutes ago, happy283 said:

What days is service said to be curtailed? What days will the snow loans be out?

I can't speak about snow loans, but service will likely be curtailed February 1st and 2nd, if not longer. Posted it my group the other day. I don't get info on the local buses since my group doesn't focus on them.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I can't speak about snow loans, but service will likely be curtailed February 1st and 2nd, if not longer. Posted it my group the other day. I don't get info on the local buses since my group doesn't focus on them.

Service curtailment is usually as a result of a fleet shortage caused by artics being grounded. Wouldnt surprise me if that means the loans are out Monday and Tuesday especially considering that the snow is expected to continue well in to Tuesday. Is your source of service curtailment straight from the MTA?

1 minute ago, happy283 said:

Service curtailment is usually as a result of a fleet shortage caused by artics being grounded. Wouldnt surprise me if that means the loans are out Monday and Tuesday especially considering that the snow is expected to continue well in to Tuesday. Is your source of service curtailment straight from the MTA?

LOL about as straight from the (MTA) as it can be. The people I speak to speak directly with the President, Craig Cipriano. I don't post anything in my advocacy group unless it comes from the (MTA) , be it a superintendent, dispatcher, or Customer Service Reps. I have several of these people in my group and I have met most of them in person down at 2 Broadway, so if they contact me on the side and ask me to post something, I do it to keep the riders in my group informed. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LOL about as straight from the (MTA) as it can be. The people I speak to speak directly with the President, Craig Cipriano. I don't post anything in my advocacy group unless it comes from the (MTA) , be it a superintendent, dispatcher, or Customer Service Reps. I have several of these people in my group and I have met most of them in person down at 2 Broadway, so if they contact me on the side and ask me to post something, I do it to keep the riders in my group informed. 

Great to know. Im guessing they didnt mention when the artics were going to be grounded until. Hopefully monday and tuesday both bring loans.

Edited by happy283

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No because my group does not cover local buses, so the info I get pertains to express only.

I see. My guess would be that the service reduction would be an indication of whether loans are being used or not. Artics being grounded will cause a shortage which is why the service is reduced.

Looks like this snow is starting this afternoon/evening, all day tomorrow, and then a little into Tuesday AM. Everything I've seen has chains on already, and my guess is they're yanking the artics this evening. Fairly certain we'll see the loans both Monday and Tuesday at the least. The expected forecast is now 14-18", with a low-end chance into the low 20" totals. If we get the higher end of that, this will take some work to clear out.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Are they still running? I'm only seeing XD40s and three or four NG Hybrids on the route.

Shit. I dunno why it put XD60 instead of XD40.

Also, I dunno why that's in my Gboard autocorrect.

Edit: lemme tag @Bill from Maspeth in this reply.

Edited by Deucey

4 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Edit: lemme tag @Bill from Maspeth in this reply.

To answer your earlier question though, they’ve been running the SBS XD40s on the B41, B2, and B31 since FLA replaced those XD40s with the articulated buses on the B46 SBS.

You’ll only really see them on those three routes since FLA wanted to avoid putting them on the B44, 46, and 49 (so folks don’t accidentally get on thinking they’re the B44 SBS or B46 SBS).

Just now, Deucey said:

The B41 is always using them. Those XD40s were SBS units on the B46 but they were moved off when the B46 was converted to articulated units. Most of the XD40s haven't had their wrap taken off.

Those FLA XD40s have the SBS scheme painted on them, that's why most of them are still in the SBS scheme even though they are not in SBS anymore.

For those thinking about fanning the 40 footers on artic routes... the forecast is saying 17 inches of snow tomorrow. Bus service might get outright suspended along with above ground subway service, so keep that in mind to avoid being stranded far away from home. Constantly check NYCT Bus and NYCT twitter for updates if you go out fanning tomorrow.

I went fanning in a blizzard once and all outdoor train service was suspended so I had to walk to Canarsie from the Liberty Ave (C) stop, had to walk in the street too since nobody shoveled their sidewalks yet. Was quite an adventure.

38 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

To answer your earlier question though, they’ve been running the SBS XD40s on the B41, B2, and B31 since FLA replaced those XD40s with the articulated buses on the B46 SBS.

You’ll only really see them on those three routes since FLA wanted to avoid putting them on the B44, 46, and 49 (so folks don’t accidentally get on thinking they’re the B44 SBS or B46 SBS).

You're right on that but if I may add:

The only time the B49 will use the 7600 XD-40s is if it's entirely indigo blue like 7622. Otherwise, it's only if there's no bus available during the weekend for a small shortage (buses being out for Shuttle service for a subway line).

I did get 7640 few weeks ago on a Sunday on the B49 from Church/Bedford Avs to Av.Z and Ocean Av. It does have "SBS" written on the front but there isn't many passengers on-board. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Some of those 76xx buses can be seen in service on the B44 and B46 on certain late nights. I've observed some on the B44 a few weeks ago when I was driving back in from Manhattan and took Nostrand Avenue to the Junction.

Yeah, they've been running those SBS XD40's on the B2 & the B41 for a hot minute now....

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I went fanning in a blizzard once and all outdoor train service was suspended so I had to walk to Canarsie from the Liberty Ave (C) stop, had to walk in the street too since nobody shoveled their sidewalks yet. Was quite an adventure.

Regular occurrence in Nassau & Suffolk county, even along major commercial strips... Don't miss it one bit.

26 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

TU sending out the 40s now on the 101-103 and 15. Everything out of Quill and Manhattanville is chained, possible exception the XE60s which I haven't seen. Some of the TU artics are still out there without chains.

Grand Avenue has sent out mostly 40 footers on the B38/B38-LTD today. I don't think that happened during the last storm.