BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Looks like this snow is starting this afternoon/evening, all day tomorrow, and then a little into Tuesday AM. Everything I've seen has chains on already, and my guess is they're yanking the artics this evening. Fairly certain we'll see the loans both Monday and Tuesday at the least. The expected forecast is now 14-18", with a low-end chance into the low 20" totals. If we get the higher end of that, this will take some work to clear out.

Excellent to see the loans Monday and tuesday. Snow is also expected until Noon tuesday if not later. Some forecasts say into Tuesday Evening.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those FLA XD40s have the SBS scheme painted on them, that's why most of them are still in the SBS scheme even though they are not in SBS anymore.

For those thinking about fanning the 40 footers on artic routes... the forecast is saying 17 inches of snow tomorrow. Bus service might get outright suspended along with above ground subway service, so keep that in mind to avoid being stranded far away from home. Constantly check NYCT Bus and NYCT twitter for updates if you go out fanning tomorrow.

I went fanning in a blizzard once and all outdoor train service was suspended so I had to walk to Canarsie from the Liberty Ave (C) stop, had to walk in the street too since nobody shoveled their sidewalks yet. Was quite an adventure.

I bet you won't do that again...

Still a nontrivial number of XD60s out on the 15-SBS. They should figure that out pretty soon, it's picking up out there. OH has gotten almost all of their artics off the road, just a few 60 footers still out and running short-turns to pull into the depot. Quill has basically everything grounded.

26 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Sounds high.....

It's official. (Of course, the exact percentage varies from route to route). To give you an example, the SIM4 is running every 10 minutes (rather than 5-6 minutes) and the S93 is running on some weird 17-18 minute headway (normal is every 12 minutes).

Ideally, they'd publish those schedules as PDFs, but I suppose they figure that with chains on the buses, and traffic-related delays (plus B/Os having to go slower in general), the schedule is basically out the window.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It's official. (Of course, the exact percentage varies from route to route). To give you an example, the SIM4 is running every 10 minutes (rather than 5-6 minutes) and the S93 is running on some weird 17-18 minute headway (normal is every 12 minutes).

Ideally, they'd publish those schedules as PDFs, but I suppose they figure that with chains on the buses, and traffic-related delays (plus B/Os having to go slower in general), the schedule is basically out the window.

I'm sure their motivation to create a concrete schedule is nil, because it makes it easier to hide missing runs, etc if there is no schedule to tie to the service 

Also interesting that as of now (1 am on Monday), the MTA website does not redirect to their storm site (if that is even still a thing with the new MTA website)

Edited by QM1to6Ave

16 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The Bx99 is has 2 40 foot buses running, the M99 has 1 bus running and the B99 is.... discontinued?

Not a single Flatbush route is showing up on Bustime, so it might be bustime itself. Would be interesting to see if those Orion VII 3Gs ended up on the M99 though. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm sure their motivation to create a concrete schedule is nil, because it makes it easier to hide missing runs, etc if there is no schedule to tie to the service 

Then we have to give them that motivation ;) That's how we got them to post those MLK/Day After Thanksgiving schedules on a consistent basis. (We had to nag them to convince them it was necessary, then the first few cycles we had to keep nagging them, and now they just say "Heads-up, we're posting the reduced weekday schedules" for whatever the next applicable holiday is)

With this new schedule format, supposedly it's automatic, so as long as we can convince them it is necessary to put in, we'll get updated ones on a regular basis (included in the regular schedule pamphlet). 

18 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Then we have to give them that motivation ;) That's how we got them to post those MLK/Day After Thanksgiving schedules on a consistent basis. (We had to nag them to convince them it was necessary, then the first few cycles we had to keep nagging them, and now they just say "Heads-up, we're posting the reduced weekday schedules" for whatever the next applicable holiday is)

With this new schedule format, supposedly it's automatic, so as long as we can convince them it is necessary to put in, we'll get updated ones on a regular basis (included in the regular schedule pamphlet). 

Agreed. When we gang up on them like we did for the MLK schedules, they don't have a choice. lol

I wonder if anybody went fanning today, from watching the news its BAD out there. Even Columbus Circle is crazy with the low visibility, wind, etc. The plows can't keep up! You know it's bad when even the streets in Columbus circle is covered in snow.

Crazy that the entire PATH system got suspended along with LIRR/MN at 3PM but NYC bus service is still running... for now.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Andy

d3600b76-35ca-45df-bbb5-cc3060f4212e-lar

Nice summary of his career.

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder if anybody went fanning today, from watching the news its BAD out there. Even Columbus Circle is crazy with the low visibility, wind, etc. The plows can't keep up! You know it's bad when even the streets in Columbus circle is covered in snow.

Crazy that the entire PATH system got suspended along with LIRR/MNRR at 3PM but NYC bus service is still running... for now.

Being that officials (ever since Bloomberg, it seems like) have gotten more trigger happy with opting to shut down public transportation over the first drop of snow that sticks <_<, I didn't even consider it..... I don't remember the last time I went fanning in the snow because of it.

Edited by B35 via Church