BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I did all my fanning and picture taking yesterday because I figured today would be a crap show. But even last night bus service started to suffer. Last night I waited a little over an hour for the Q64, because for some reason there were no buses on the route at all between 11:30pm and 12:37am until 3500 from JFK entered service at Jewel Ave/164th street towards Forest Hills.  

One good thing is that last night I fanned the M9 from the Essex/Delancey St station to East 23rd and I caught an Orion VII 3G 7066. Its been 5 years since I've rode on one of them ever since they dumped all of them in Staten Island. I hope JFK can get some of these buses before they retire since JFK is the dumping ground for near retired buses lol.

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Being that officials (ever since Bloomberg, it seems like) have gotten more trigger happy with opting to shut down public transportation over the first drop of snow that sticks <_<, I didn't even consider it..... I don't remember the last time I went fanning in the snow because of it.

I don't remember the last time the whole bus system was shut down due to the snow. I know with the elevated portions of the subway they tend to suspend service but the buses usually continue to run. This is the first time in years that NYC has gotten as much snow as we are getting so its not like these complete shut downs happen all the time. However I don't agree with suspending all bus service, because people still have to work, but maybe they could run a bus every 20-30 minutes in these extreme conditions. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Nice summary of his career.

Being that officials (ever since Bloomberg, it seems like) have gotten more trigger happy with opting to shut down public transportation over the first drop of snow that sticks <_<, I didn't even consider it..... I don't remember the last time I went fanning in the snow because of it.

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I did all my fanning and picture taking yesterday because I figured today would be a crap show. But even last night bus service started to suffer. Last night I waited a little over an hour for the Q64, because for some reason there were no buses on the route at all between 11:30pm and 12:37am until 3500 from JFK entered service at Jewel Ave/164th street towards Forest Hills.  

One good thing is that last night I fanned the M9 from the Essex/Delancey St station to East 23rd and I caught an Orion VII 3G 7066. Its been 5 years since I've rode on one of them ever since they dumped all of them in Staten Island. I hope JFK can get some of these buses before they retire since JFK is the dumping ground for near retired buses lol.

I don't remember the last time the whole bus system was shut down due to the snow. I know with the elevated portions of the subway they tend to suspend service but the buses usually continue to run. This is the first time in years that NYC has gotten as much snow as we are getting so its not like these complete shut downs happen all the time. However I don't agree with suspending all bus service, because people still have to work, but maybe they could run a bus every 20-30 minutes in these extreme conditions. 

Everyone forgot about the snow storm from years ago where people were stuck on buses and trains for hours. It's about liability, nothing more.  Better to be safe than sorry. When that happened everyone said why did they continue to run service?  @NewFlyer230 snow started yesterday, so I'm not sure why you were so shocked that there was a gap in service. Some drivers don't live in NYC and can't get to work. That's another issue as well.

38 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don't agree with suspending all bus service, because people still have to work, but maybe they could run a bus every 20-30 minutes in these extreme conditions. 

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Everyone forgot about the snow storm from years ago where people were stuck on buses and trains for hours. It's about liability, nothing more.  Better to be safe than sorry. When that happened everyone said why did they continue to run service?  

We're never gonna win because if it not one thing being argued it's the other thing. It's either "You must run service because we still have people working" or "You must NOT run service because we don't need people being outside in these conditions".

Backwards world.

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

We're never gonna win because if it not one thing being argued it's the other thing. It's either "You must run service because we still have people working" or "You must NOT run service because we don't need people being outside in these conditions".

Backwards world.

Exactly. The only people who should be traveling in this are people that HAVE to as in essential workers. I was stranded myself years ago trying to get home from work, so I know exactly what it's like to get caught, and it is no fun. I got whatever express bus I could to Staten Island, then thought I would just get a cab the short distance home, but there were no cabs running, and the S53 for whatever reason was not running. I had to get whatever bus I could along Victory Blvd, go to the ferry and then get the S48 bus to get home. It took me several hours to get home. 

Stay home unless you need to be out there. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I had to go into work today as an essential worker...QM1 was great this morning. I'm heading home in a little bit, hopefully things are still okay. Looks like buses are still running, but I may end up taking the subway depending on hos things look

Just keep in mind that service to overhead stations was suspended at 2pm, so lines that are a mix of overhead and underground are partially suspended. Express buses are still running, but visibility outside is pretty bad, at least in the outer boroughs.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sure, but the last time there was supposed to be this big snowstorm some odd months ago, the MTA was talking about shutting down service.... I'm more speaking to the hysterics of the matter.... On a day like this, sure, shut it down.... However, any threat of snow (even if it ends up being traces) & there's this automatic petrifaction that every time it snows, we're going to get slammed.....

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Everyone forgot about the snow storm from years ago where people were stuck on buses and trains for hours. It's about liability, nothing more.  Better to be safe than sorry. When that happened everyone said why did they continue to run service?

Being about liability is the logical premise, but it's really about public pressure.... If Bloomberg wasn't absolutely ripped a new one (whatever year that was with that snowstorm), I bet anything that this trigger happy response to (wanting to) shut shit down in some way, shape, or form whenever that dreaded word (snow) is mentioned in the weather forecast, would not be apparent.....

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Backwards world.

Yeah, that's the catch-22 & I'm just waiting for the complaints like that of the former to emanate from people.....

Right now, the M101, M102 and M103 are all Next Gen Hybrid units. No Old Gens out on 3rd Av and Lex Av. 

---

Also, the BM1, BM2, BM3 and BM4 are running at least 1/2 hour headways making All-stops in Midtown and Downtown Manhattan to provide subway lines stations outdoors such as the (Q) and (L) 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just keep in mind that service to overhead stations was suspended at 2pm, so lines that are a mix of overhead and underground are partially suspended. Express buses are still running, but visibility outside is pretty bad, at least in the outer boroughs.

QM35 was great coming back...I got out just before dark, which was crucial because conditions have really gone downhill since the sun went down. I make sure to wear my hospital/work uniform so the B/O's stop for me. Very courteous guy, I was the only one on the bus so he turned off of Union Tpke right after I got off lol 

13 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

QM35 was great coming back...I got out just before dark, which was crucial because conditions have really gone downhill since the sun went down. I make sure to wear my hospital/work uniform so the B/O's stop for me. Very courteous guy, I was the only one on the bus so he turned off of Union Tpke right after I got off lol 

Very good. You have any problems, let me know. I was livid after hearing what happened to you a few months ago. Have you seen that other driver that gave you a problem since? Some of the Queens guys came over to my lines. We were having issues with them letting out and picking up in the street lately and I was not happy about it. They're trying to correct that problem since and pick-up from the curb as they should, as I've been almost hit twice now by bikes in one week trying to board the express bus.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Very good. You have any problems, let me know. I was livid after hearing what happened to you a few months ago. Have you seen that other driver that gave you a problem since?

Nope, you fixed that problem :) I haven't even seen those particular B/Os since then, who knows what lines they got put on after that...

38 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I forgot to add, my colleague who takes the X37 said there were none running this morning at all during early rush hour, so he had to travel by subway both directions 

Strange. The X37 was on a modified schedule so I will check to see if they are tracking tomorrow. There's also a detour Southbound because of sewer work. I'm working on them putting up new detour signage since the construction company needed more space for the project and the express buses couldn't turn. A bit of a mess right now.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I forgot to add, my colleague who takes the X37 said there were none running this morning at all during early rush hour, so he had to travel by subway both directions 

I looked into it. Seems the X37 started later, but it did run. The X27 was running though to Midtown. He could've taken that. This should be the schedule tomorrow if all goes well:

144373793_10221929755965473_390369830487

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I looked into it. Seems the X37 started later, but it did run. The X27 was running though to Midtown. He could've taken that. This should be the schedule tomorrow if all goes well:

144373793_10221929755965473_390369830487

THanks! I'll pass on the info. He gets into work pretty early, so I guess he was ahead of that first X37 today (and I don't know why he didn't take the X27, I'll ask him tomorrow)

Edited by QM1to6Ave

26 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Does anyone know if the snow loans will be out again today (02/02/2021) and if artics will remain grounded?

There will be a reduced schedule, that's as much as we know as fact.

It's a safe bet that artics would remain grounded and that there will still be loaner buses all over the place, but that info isn't public knowledge just yet.

16 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

There will be a reduced schedule, that's as much as we know as fact.

It's a safe bet that artics would remain grounded and that there will still be loaner buses all over the place, but that info isn't public knowledge just yet.

Considering that snow is expected to be around through tomorrow and that the artics dont have chains, it is unlikely they will send them out. The reduced schedule accomodates artics being grounded so why use them and risk getting them stuck?