BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

49 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Lmao, you remind me of the old GMCs running back in 2001-2002. Those buses would also shut down at idle, except that wasn't about saving fuel! Had to wait for the whoosh of the air starter and all the interior lights to go on and off, and then you'd to cross your fingers...

Same with some of the MCIs lol

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

Is MTA really asking for kids to pay for a bus ride? I thought kids were free...

Kids are technically suppose to pay the fare anytime they are not going to school or an after school activity. The student metrocards allow 3 trips with transfers in a day. Any other additional trip and any traveling on the weekend requires that kid to have a regular card. However several kids are irresponsible and end up losing their student cards so many drivers just let them on even on the weekends when one is suppose to use a regular metrocard. 

Before you used to have several drivers that would refuse to let a kid on because they didn’t have their cards, but most can care less nowadays. Confronting anybody about not having the fare poses a safety risk for the drivers anyways, so for their own sake they just stay quiet about it.

4 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Is MTA really asking for kids to pay for a bus ride? I thought kids were free...

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Kids are technically suppose to pay the fare anytime they are not going to school or an after school activity. The student metrocards allow 3 trips with transfers in a day. Any other additional trip and any traveling on the weekend requires that kid to have a regular card. However several kids are irresponsible and end up losing their student cards so many drivers just let them on even on the weekends when one is suppose to use a regular metrocard. 

Before you used to have several drivers that would refuse to let a kid on because they didn’t have their cards, but most can care less nowadays. Confronting anybody about not having the fare poses a safety risk for the drivers anyways, so for their own sake they just stay quiet about it.

I was asking my contact about some fare related things the other day since he had to respond to something I inquired about.  Supposedly, all students get a free full-fare pass, which the (MTA) has absorbed the cost for providing. As NewFlyer said, if they are not going to school or don't have an afterschool activity, then they are supposed to pay, but that hardly happens now. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

On the SBS routes, the Eagle teams also let students slide 99% of the time, typically after the student flashes their student pass or a school ID (during the weekdays, of course.)

The NYPD otoh use zero discretion. You can flash a student pass, a school ID, or even a letter from the principal, that kid is still gonna get a summons if they're doing checks on an SBS bus and a student doesn't have that POP receipt. Doesn't matter if the kid is 17 or 8.

As for drivers not letting kids on, that was typically an MTA Bus (ex-PBL) thing. Maybe TA too. OA (Manhattan and Bronx) were usually more loose in this regard.

Edited by paulrivera

18 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I saw a BM5 on the Van Wyck. Wonder what the deal is, since traffic was moving pretty slowly...even if it was empty it probably would've been better off on Woodhaven anyway.

The BM buses layover and go all sorts of ways.

16 hours ago, paulrivera said:

On the SBS routes, the Eagle teams also let students slide 99% of the time, typically after the student flashes their student pass or a school ID (during the weekdays, of course.)

The NYPD otoh use zero discretion. You can flash a student pass, a school ID, or even a letter from the principal, that kid is still gonna get a summons if they're doing checks on an SBS bus and a student doesn't have that POP receipt. Doesn't matter if the kid is 17 or 8.

As for drivers not letting kids on, that was typically an MTA Bus (ex-PBL) thing. Maybe TA too. OA (Manhattan and Bronx) were usually more loose in this regard.

What I often saw on the M79 was they would talk to the person and educate them. They would have them get a receipt with their card to show that say they had a pass and just didn't know they needed a receipt. Fine by me, but they would hold the entire bus up doing this, as you could have several people pulled off of the bus.

That could've been just the warning period. Haven't used an SBS bus in almost a few years. lol

On 3/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, NBTA said:

What are y’all favorite sounding buses (from a fanners perspective)? For me, the EPA10 Orion’s, 1200s, and JFKs ZF XD60s are my favorite, with the 2012 LFSAs, and the 2017 XD60s right behind those.

For me I would say the 2003/2004 Orion VII’s that QV and MV had. Always used to love taking them on the Q88. They just sounded so unique compared to the other Orion hybrids we would get, but my only gripe about them is that they were somewhat slow to accelerate in comparison to the later Orion hybrid models. 

I also like the Orion V CNG’s that Long Island bus used to have with the Cummins L10G engine. I wish the 1994/95 Orion V CNG’s that JG had kept their original engines.

I also like the sound the XN40’s from NICE bus makes along with the C40LF’s that the MTA has (both 98/99 and 2011-13 models).

I'm pretty picky with the sounds from combustion powertrains.

My first pick would be the Series 50 paired with either the V731 or a Bus Series transmission. After that, it would be the Series 92 with the V731 (not the V730). Following that would be the B Series with HybriDrive, though I wouldn't mind Allison's hybrid systems.

As for other possible combinations, well, I can accept the L9 with a Bus Series transmission (considering that I don't hate the C Series). You'd be hard-pressed to get me to like the L10, M Series (based on the L10), or ZF transmissions, though. Hell, to give you an idea of where I stand on the last one, I'm indifferent to EcoLife, but Ecomat? Let's just say that the relegation of 5076-5124 to Ulmer Park and their eventual retirement was something I welcomed. And yes, I'm glad that the 1200s aren't part of the Brooklyn Division.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, NBTA said:

What are y’all favorite sounding buses (from a fanners perspective)? For me, the EPA10 Orion’s, 1200s, and JFKs ZF XD60s are my favorite, with the 2012 LFSAs, and the 2017 XD60s right behind those.

This is the kinda question I'd give its own thread!

Those new buses, to me, all sounds the same.

I'd go DD50 RTS (ideally 1996 model, with the air starter and the different gearing), then O7 CNGs, then O5 CNGs, then 6v92 RTSes. Everything after that is eh. The O7 CNGs were just hilariously loud, I got a kick out of them every time. The non-CNG O5s never did it for me, Bee-Lines even less so. D60s with the EGR were pretty great.

6 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

4580 still with the KB stickers on at MV. Wonder if that one is staying or not. They're usually slow but wouldn't be surprised at a loan either.

Apparently, that’s a permanent move. Just that Manhattanville is pretty slow of swapping the decals. 4405 and 4581 already have their decals changed already.