BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, the M2 LTD doesn't bypass stops in Harlem...

(run local south of) Waverly.

The MTA does what it wants & when it comes time to trim a budget, those "redheaded stepchildren" are the first to get ostracized.

So much for a public agency being rather unwilling to provide public transit for the benefit of the public !

Being blunt, to transport project heads to two of the covid vaccine centers (Medgar Evers college & York college, respectively) in the city <_<

Especially that B98V, going through the heart of Brownsville/ENY projects with that route....

So 1318 was out today and it's digital run number box displayed the characters upside down... The bus still has a temp plate in the window so it probably just hit service, but still kind of funny they must have missed that during inspection. 

2204 & 2209 are still in service on the daily. Those new Prevosts are becoming increasingly common to see pass by.

Also witnessed 2856 break down on Monday at LIE / 99th with a Tow Truck to the rescue. I'll be surprised if it sees service ever again. 

Edited by 4P3607
Added more info

17 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

So 1318 was out today and it's digital run number box displayed the characters upside down... The bus still has a temp plate in the window so it probably just hit service, but still kind of funny they must have missed that during inspection. 

2204 & 2209 are still in service on the daily. Those new Prevosts are becoming increasingly common to see pass by.

Also witnessed 2856 break down on Monday at LIE / 99th with a Tow Truck to the rescue. I'll be surprised if it sees service ever again. 

I still have only caught the Prevosts a handful of times...I love how quiet the ride is .The turning signal is probably the loudest thing on the bus. Though one time we were in stop-and-go traffic and the brake noises were pretty loud (not a squeaking sounds, more like air releasing. I imagine it's part of the air brake system but perhaps someone else here knows more)

Those stupid 22XX and 28XX and 29XX buses are like a fungus...just can't get rid of them 

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I still have only caught the Prevosts a handful of times...I love how quiet the ride is .The turning signal is probably the loudest thing on the bus. Though one time we were in stop-and-go traffic and the brake noises were pretty loud (not a squeaking sounds, more like air releasing. I imagine it's part of the air brake system but perhaps someone else here knows more)

Those stupid 22XX and 28XX and 29XX buses are like a fungus...just can't get rid of them 

I was on 57th St this morning waiting for an express bus and I think 1306 or 1308 passed by NOT IN SERVICE. Seem to be running in and around rush hour.

I just have a dumb question. If I get off at the last stop of a route, is it necessary for me to ring the bell? I had this driver blame me for not ringing the bell as she drove by the last stop assuming no one was left on the bus

10 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I just have a dumb question. If I get off at the last stop of a route, is it necessary for me to ring the bell? I had this driver blame me for not ringing the bell as she drove by the last stop assuming no one was left on the bus

It's their job to check the bus at the last stop before layup/returning to the lot. I had a friend a couple years ago that was sleeping on the bus so he couldn't even do that.

Long story short he ended up waking up at Castleton Depot.

31 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's their job to check the bus at the last stop before layup/returning to the lot. I had a friend a couple years ago that was sleeping on the bus so he couldn't even do that.

Exactly. Maybe I should tell her that the next time I see her, but I think she's filling in for the week. 

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Had a M7 driver get mad at me for the same thing

9 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

While not necessary to ring the bell at the last stop, it's standard operating procedure for bus operators to check our buses at each terminal...

We get in trouble if we wind up bringing people into the depot on the bus and they get left behind unannounced... You know, safety hazard and all that.

Edited by SoSpectacular

10 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I always ring the bell, even if they ask me what stop I want in advance, to be clear that I want such and such stop. My thinking is people have short memories, and they may forget, so with the bell rung, there is no excuse not to stop. That procedure I practice whether it is local or express. When it gets tricky though is with the local buses that have the stops automatically announced. They aren't always accurate, so I check first to see where we're passing before ringing.

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

While not necessary to ring the bell at the last stop, it's standard operating procedure for bus operators to check our buses at each terminal...

We get in trouble if we wind up bringing people into the depot on the bus and they get left behind unannounced... You know, safety hazard and all that.

How often does that happen?? 

I feel like ive seen occasional stories about that happening in subway yards, and with school buses, but not bus depots 

5 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

this happened to me on the Q43 once, i thought this went right to Jamaica Center once but it actually stopped a block or two away

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They sure are. I got a Prevost twice in the last five days on the QM20. Though the seats seem a bit narrower than the MCI's and the window sills a little higher. But once I got settled in, it was a nice, quiet ride.

This morning, I got a 2800-series bus. Yep, time for them to ride off into the sunset. Ironically, I nearly missed my stop in the city - probably because I was on my phone typing my response in the Second Avenue Subway Discussion topic of all things.

14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How often does that happen?? 

I feel like ive seen occasional stories about that happening in subway yards, and with school buses, but not bus depots 

It almost happened to me once. I was on the X17A and dozed off just as we were exiting the tunnel. I wake up and we're deadheading on Chambers Street almost by West Street, so I tell the driver and he apologized and he let me out, so no worries (But yeah, if he had checked the bus he would've seen me)

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They sure are. I got a Prevost twice in the last five days on the QM20. Though the seats seem a bit narrower than the MCI's and the window sills a little higher. But once I got settled in, it was a nice, quiet ride.

This morning, I got a 2800-series bus. Yep, time for them to ride off into the sunset. Ironically, I nearly missed my stop in the city - probably because I was on my phone typing my response in the Second Avenue Subway Discussion topic of all things.

That's funny, I thought it was just me, I also felt like the seats were more cramped. And the entrance area by the farebox is definitely a tighter squeeze...some larger folks may have trouble squeezing past it. The big panorama windows are a nice touch, especially going over the bridge

23 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I just have a dumb question.

If I get off at the last stop of a route, is it necessary for me to ring the bell? I had this driver blame me for not ringing the bell as she drove by the last stop assuming no one was left on the bus.

Not dumb at all & it isn't at all necessary to ring the bell for the last stop.

Any b/o that tries to "blame" a passenger for not ringing the bell in such a situation is doing nothing more than blame-shifting (I'd go as far as to say saving face from not feeling embarrassed).... The fact that you didn't ring the bell, doesn't give that b/o carte blanche to blow past a terminal stop, assuming nobody was on board... Which leads me to saying this:

What I do in that situation (and this is a VERY common occurrence, being that I ride full routes a lot, being that a good chunk of bus terminals aren't exactly major destinations/major xfer points & what not) is walk up to the front of the bus, as the bus is approaching the terminal... Make hard footsteps if you have to (like you're stumbling to maintain balance as the bus is in motion or something, not like you're in the military, or in the hood stomping on roaches & shit... Lol..)...

Of the occasions I was asleep as a bus reached a terminal, luckily I haven't had any asshats for b/o's.... I tend to apologize & say thanks (upon being woken up).... You'd be surprised how willing some b/o's are to help out if you (as a passenger) aren't belligerent or attitudinal in having overslept (yes, this is a thing, believe it or not - MF-ers getting mad at the b/o for waking them up.... MF-ers are entitled as shit).... Some will give you an xfer.... Some will even go the extra mile in getting you closer to your destination after the fact (not so much in the boroughs, but I've personally had 2 Bee-Line ops, 1 GBT op (Coastal Link; out in Connecticut), and 2 NJT ops do so)...

So... yeah, I've never woke up inside Gleason, ENY, Flatbush, or any other bus depot 😄

Funny enough, I remember being on a bus (B12, not that it matters) some odd years ago, and ole girl (the b/o) threw a hissy fit for someone having rang the bell when the bus was going through the underpass (approaching Alabama av.).... Needless to say, shit was not that serious & a few people that were on the bus basically said as such.... One chick in-particular was going at it back & forth with said b/o as the bus pulled into the terminal.....

I should get back to doing trip reports.

---------------------

Side note: Not particularly at a route's terminal, but what I have been noticing more & more is stops being blown past/missed WITH the bell having been rang/pressed...

Edited by B35 via Church

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's funny, I thought it was just me, I also felt like the seats were more cramped. And the entrance area by the farebox is definitely a tighter squeeze...some larger folks may have trouble squeezing past it. The big panorama windows are a nice touch, especially going over the bridge

I noticed that about the entrance area myself. Got clipped by the OMNY reader on my way in and out on Wednesday morning. Perhaps there’s somewhere else up front they can place it. Thought I was going to get another Prevost going home this evening, but no, it was a QM2, not a QM20.