BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

23 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I just have a dumb question.

If I get off at the last stop of a route, is it necessary for me to ring the bell? I had this driver blame me for not ringing the bell as she drove by the last stop assuming no one was left on the bus.

Not dumb at all & it isn't at all necessary to ring the bell for the last stop.

Any b/o that tries to "blame" a passenger for not ringing the bell in such a situation is doing nothing more than blame-shifting (I'd go as far as to say saving face from not feeling embarrassed).... The fact that you didn't ring the bell, doesn't give that b/o carte blanche to blow past a terminal stop, assuming nobody was on board... Which leads me to saying this:

What I do in that situation (and this is a VERY common occurrence, being that I ride full routes a lot, being that a good chunk of bus terminals aren't exactly major destinations/major xfer points & what not) is walk up to the front of the bus, as the bus is approaching the terminal... Make hard footsteps if you have to (like you're stumbling to maintain balance as the bus is in motion or something, not like you're in the military, or in the hood stomping on roaches & shit... Lol..)...

Of the occasions I was asleep as a bus reached a terminal, luckily I haven't had any asshats for b/o's.... I tend to apologize & say thanks (upon being woken up).... You'd be surprised how willing some b/o's are to help out if you (as a passenger) aren't belligerent or attitudinal in having overslept (yes, this is a thing, believe it or not - MF-ers getting mad at the b/o for waking them up.... MF-ers are entitled as shit).... Some will give you an xfer.... Some will even go the extra mile in getting you closer to your destination after the fact (not so much in the boroughs, but I've personally had 2 Bee-Line ops, 1 GBT op (Coastal Link; out in Connecticut), and 2 NJT ops do so)...

So... yeah, I've never woke up inside Gleason, ENY, Flatbush, or any other bus depot 😄

Funny enough, I remember being on a bus (B12, not that it matters) some odd years ago, and ole girl (the b/o) threw a hissy fit for someone having rang the bell when the bus was going through the underpass (approaching Alabama av.).... Needless to say, shit was not that serious & a few people that were on the bus basically said as such.... One chick in-particular was going at it back & forth with said b/o as the bus pulled into the terminal.....

I should get back to doing trip reports.

---------------------

Side note: Not particularly at a route's terminal, but what I have been noticing more & more is stops being blown past/missed WITH the bell having been rang/pressed...

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's funny, I thought it was just me, I also felt like the seats were more cramped. And the entrance area by the farebox is definitely a tighter squeeze...some larger folks may have trouble squeezing past it. The big panorama windows are a nice touch, especially going over the bridge

I noticed that about the entrance area myself. Got clipped by the OMNY reader on my way in and out on Wednesday morning. Perhaps there’s somewhere else up front they can place it. Thought I was going to get another Prevost going home this evening, but no, it was a QM2, not a QM20. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone else notice that real-time data tends to be incorrect or inaccurate for stops that are close to terminals?

you're not the only one. sometimes when i track express buses, they just disappear out of nowhere 2-3 stops away from the terminal. i bet thats because the last passengers got off the bus before the terminal

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I noticed that about the entrance area myself. Got clipped by the OMNY reader on my way in and out on Wednesday morning. Perhaps there’s somewhere else up front they can place it. Thought I was going to get another Prevost going home this evening, but no, it was a QM2, not a QM20. 

I wonder if there are certain B/Os that request the Prevosts, because they seem to show up on a few lines much more consistently than on others. 

I guess if fareboxes will be a thing of the past in the next few years, that will open up more space

3 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

you're not the only one. sometimes when i track express buses, they just disappear out of nowhere 2-3 stops away from the terminal. i bet thats because the last passengers got off the bus before the terminal

And sometimes they will list the bus as being 6-10 minutes late when its not.

12 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

That's not inaccurate info. That's a bus going OOS or taking a route off of the BusTime route, which happens often. There are a few deadspots on some routes like the QM2 in Beechhurst where every QM2 will disappear in the route, then reappear further along.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's not inaccurate info. That's a bus going OOS or taking a route off of the BusTime route, which happens often. There are a few deadspots on some routes like the QM2 in Beechhurst where every QM2 will disappear in the route, then reappear further along.

Yeah this does happen sometimes...

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

I’m on the M15 and am amazed that no matter how many bus service cuts (MTA) does, the B39 still exists taking three people across the Williamsburg bridge when the (J) and (M) trains are right there.  

If Marcy Av was ADA accessible there wouldn't be a need for it. 

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I’m on the M15 and am amazed that no matter how many bus service cuts (MTA) does, the B39 still exists taking three people across the Williamsburg bridge when the (J) and (M) trains are right there.  

If they were to extend the route, it could be more beneficial. Also, some people prefer riding the bus over the subway because of accessibility, cleanliness, or convenience. It kind of sucks how B51 service was discontinued...

26 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

If they were to extend the route, it could be more beneficial. Also, some people prefer riding the bus over the subway because of accessibility, cleanliness, or convenience. It kind of sucks how B51 service was discontinued...

What if the B39 got turned into a crosstown manhattan route extended from Allen Street to 6th ave via Spring and Broome Streets, and possibly extended to bway junction via broadway? Just sharing an idea

Edited by Q39 to Ridgewood

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

I don't see the connection.

They were removed from service at least temporary in part because they were not wearing masks while in service. It's an observation that was made by a number of people, not a connection to the bus being stuck, but still a concern given how many trips are not being completed due to driver shortages, in addition to things like this. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The driver who's not turning is the one at fault. He went way to far into the intersection and blocked the other one from safely making the turn.

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

All props to the B/O who was turning. Not his fault, seemed like a nice guy, dealt with a**hole guy filming it, sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Even if it's the wider part of 39th Street, I'm not surprised. That street can barely handle the 40-footers and the cars without any double-parking.

The only question I have in all of this is, when (as in, what part of the traffic light cycle) did that b/o turning attempt that turn....

He (the b/o turning) said that it was "his light" - but that could mean anything from a [solid green] to a [green transitioning to a yellow] (well really, a yellow transitioning into a red)....

Outside of simply being a d*ck, there had to have been some reason that b/o of the EB bus (the bus already on 39th, not turning) was that deep into the intersection, knowing that there's a stop line there (that's pushed well back behind the intersection itself)....

5 hours ago, hounddriver said:

Looks like the bus turning swung way to wide,unless there was a car parked there before.

The b/o (of the bus that attempted the turn) said that there was a car there, but it's irrelevant....

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I'll continue to say it.... Both routes (B39/B51) should have been kept, or both routes should have been eliminated..... I would say the same thing if the B51 was kept & the B39 ended up getting eliminated....

1 hour ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

What if the B39 got turned into a crosstown manhattan route extended from Allen Street to 6th ave via Spring and Broome Streets, and possibly extended to bway junction via broadway? Just sharing an idea

B/o's doing such a route would need so much damn red bull's & headache medicine from operating such a route, it aint even funny!