BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

What if the B39 got turned into a crosstown manhattan route extended from Allen Street to 6th ave via Spring and Broome Streets, and possibly extended to bway junction via broadway? Just sharing an idea

I don’t think there is any demand for an extension.

As for a Brooklyn extension, I don’t think they’d extend it unless the B46 terminates at Dekalb Ave or Woodhull hospital and the Q24 terminates at Broadway Junction. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

but still a concern given how many trips are not being completed due to driver shortages

It feels like the only buses that run without any missing runs around my parts are the BxM4 and BxM7 overnight.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

Grand Street isn’t yet there’s no bus from Barclays or DeKalb to Canal or Grand.

There technically is an ADA path from Barclays to Canal ((4) via (6) transfer at Brooklyn Bridge, which is accessible itself) and Barclays to Broadway-Lafayette (one stop over from Grand on the (B) and (D)) so there's no need for a bus anyway.

They should work on getting the BMT platforms at Canal accessible also, but I digress...

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

As for a Brooklyn extension, I don’t think they’d extend it unless the B46 terminates at Dekalb Ave or Woodhull hospital and the Q24 terminates at Broadway Junction. 

Agreed. No need to extend the B39 at this point. It’s only function is just to shuttle from the Bridge to Allen Street. 

There was a mention about the B51. No need to revive the 51 at this point. You have all the subway lines serving the immediate area of Chinatown, City Hall and Fulton/Nassau. If they wanted to keep the 51 back in the day it would been useful for a Canal Street Crosstown and end at W. Houston and West Street (Pier 40) over by UPS/FED-EX/Sanitation sharing the M21 bus stop. 

On 3/18/2021 at 5:20 AM, SoSpectacular said:

While not necessary to ring the bell at the last stop, it's standard operating procedure for bus operators to check our buses at each terminal...

We get in trouble if we wind up bringing people into the depot on the bus and they get left behind unannounced... You know, safety hazard and all that.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, B35 via Church said:

Not dumb at all & it isn't at all necessary to ring the bell for the last stop.

Any b/o that tries to "blame" a passenger for not ringing the bell in such a situation is doing nothing more than blame-shifting (I'd go as far as to say saving face from not feeling embarrassed).... The fact that you didn't ring the bell, doesn't give that b/o carte blanche to blow past a terminal stop, assuming nobody was on board... Which leads me to saying this:

What I do in that situation (and this is a VERY common occurrence, being that I ride full routes a lot, being that a good chunk of bus terminals aren't exactly major destinations/major xfer points & what not) is walk up to the front of the bus, as the bus is approaching the terminal... Make hard footsteps if you have to (like you're stumbling to maintain balance as the bus is in motion or something, not like you're in the military, or in the hood stomping on roaches & shit... Lol..)...

Of the occasions I was asleep as a bus reached a terminal, luckily I haven't had any asshats for b/o's.... I tend to apologize & say thanks (upon being woken up).... You'd be surprised how willing some b/o's are to help out if you (as a passenger) aren't belligerent or attitudinal in having overslept (yes, this is a thing, believe it or not - MF-ers getting mad at the b/o for waking them up.... MF-ers are entitled as shit).... Some will give you an xfer.... Some will even go the extra mile in getting you closer to your destination after the fact (not so much in the boroughs, but I've personally had 2 Bee-Line ops, 1 GBT op (Coastal Link; out in Connecticut), and 2 NJT ops do so)...

So... yeah, I've never woke up inside Gleason, ENY, Flatbush, or any other bus depot 😄

Funny enough, I remember being on a bus (B12, not that it matters) some odd years ago, and ole girl (the b/o) threw a hissy fit for someone having rang the bell when the bus was going through the underpass (approaching Alabama av.).... Needless to say, shit was not that serious & a few people that were on the bus basically said as such.... One chick in-particular was going at it back & forth with said b/o as the bus pulled into the terminal.....

I should get back to doing trip reports.

---------------------

Side note: Not particularly at a route's terminal, but what I have been noticing more & more is stops being blown past/missed WITH the bell having been rang/pressed...

Thanks for that. I've ridden to the ends of routes numerous times, and this has never happened to me. S78, BL-60, you name it. Bad enough she was running late. She didn't apologize to me, she was quick to get me off the bus because of her mistake. I'm not gonna get a warning or write up...

A little off topic. It did happen to me once in 2006 when I rode the (F) to 179. I was supposed to get off at Parsons, I dozed off at Roosevelt. Thankfully I never ended up at a train yard or Baisley depot or Jamaica

19 hours ago, Snorunts said:

If they were to extend the route, it could be more beneficial. Also, some people prefer riding the bus over the subway because of accessibility, cleanliness, or convenience. It kind of sucks how B51 service was discontinued...

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Agreed. No need to extend the B39 at this point. It’s only function is just to shuttle from the Bridge to Allen Street. 

There was a mention about the B51. No need to revive the 51 at this point. You have all the subway lines serving the immediate area of Chinatown, City Hall and Fulton/Nassau. If they wanted to keep the 51 back in the day it would been useful for a Canal Street Crosstown and end at W. Houston and West Street (Pier 40) over by UPS/FED-EX/Sanitation sharing the M21 bus stop. 

As I stated earlier, it is an alternative to subway service. In addition, if there are ever days where subway service is suspended, reduced, or rerouted, it would be beneficial to rely on a bus route that isn’t a subway shuttle. Personally, I have been taking Ubers every time I need to travel to Manhattan to avoid riding the subway during this pandemic. You also have to put yourself in the shoes of people who are in a wheelchair or have other disabilities.

Edited by Snorunts

14 hours ago, paulrivera said:

It feels like the only buses that run without any missing runs around my parts are the BxM4 and BxM7 overnight.

Yes, those two lines generally run well, but some depots are still dealing with serious driver shortages. Overnight, ever night, tons of announcements about missing trips. Just about all of the overnight BM2 trips have not run for weeks. Plenty of local bus lines too. They need to start hiring more drivers. All that money they're getting.

2002 MCI 2858? ran in service today, front and side signs completely broke and it didn't show up on the app so I have no idea what route it ran on. But I saw it on 6th Ave about an hour ago.

Surprised these are still seeing off peak service with around 20 Prevosts at that depot.

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

2002 MCI 2858? ran in service today, front and side signs completely broke and it didn't show up on the app so I have no idea what route it ran on. But I saw it on 6th Ave about an hour ago.

Surprised these are still seeing off peak service with around 20 Prevosts at that depot.

The flipdots are pretty rare seeing them off peak...

38 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Some operators love them so they'll pull them out quite consistently. I doubt the dispatcher cares on a weekend. 

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

As I stated earlier, it is an alternative to subway service. In addition, if there are ever days where subway service is suspended, reduced, or rerouted, it would be beneficial to rely on a bus route that isn’t a subway shuttle. Personally, I have been taking Ubers every time I need to travel to Manhattan to avoid riding the subway during this pandemic. You also have to put yourself in the shoes of people who are in a wheelchair or have other disabilities.

But then the same could be said for every single other subway line in the system, should they also have duplicative bus service?

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

A bus route every 30 minutes isn't anywhere near the amount of capacity required if the subway were to be shut down (not to mention that there's various lines between Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan).

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They've used the D4500s last weekend too, one ran on the QM2 on Sunday. It's been on the QM5, it's currently doing an inbound trip to Midtown. They've also used them on other occasions too on the weekend. I'm currently able to track it on bustime and Transit Tracker. There are also a few reverse peak and evening runs on weekdays which regularly use those buses as well

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They've used the D4500s last weekend too, one ran on the QM2 on Sunday. It's been on the QM5, it's currently doing an inbound trip to Midtown. They've also used them on other occasions too on the weekend. I'm currently able to track it on bustime and Transit Tracker. There are also a few reverse peak and evening runs on weekdays which regularly use those buses as well

I'm telling you, when they try to drive off the last of those old buses to the scrap pike,.some BO is gonna strap himself to the bus protest-style to prevent it lol. I would love one of them to explain why they love those buses so much

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm telling you, when they try to drive off the last of those old buses to the scrap pike,.some BO is gonna strap himself to the bus protest-style to prevent it lol. I would love one of them to explain why they love those buses so much

Because any new buses tend to be problematic and annoying to deal with from the start. I know I would rather use an RTS then a XD40 when they first coming in.

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Didn’t this happen with College Point’s 1998-99 Orion V CNGs lol?

On 3/20/2021 at 3:27 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Running the B39 to Broadway Junction is nothing short of ridiculous.... A(nother) truncation of the Q24 to B'way Junction wouldn't be remotely plausible to justify running the B39 there.... Terminating all B46's at Dekalb would neither be here nor there in such a hypothetical, since the B39 would be panning along Broadway anyway....

21 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

B39 would be most useful panning north or south of Delancey on the Manhattan side (how far in either direction is moot/debatable).... But sending the thing WB past Allen st. I see as a dead draw.... Allen st. is basically a convenient (or convenient enough, all things considered) layover & turnaround area...

Brooklyn side, well outside of intentionally marring the current network, there's really no where to send it that would make a real difference IMO.... Williamsburg patrons north of the bridge are too busy gunning for & bombarding (L)'s, bus usage is feeble in the Jewish part of Williamsburg (as in, south of Broadway), and the B46 & the B60 panning EB from WBP doesn't really need a supplement.

21 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

FWIW, the idea I had for the thing was to run it to BMCC via Chambers... Canal wouldn't benefit from a crosstown service... Reason the B51 even used Canal in that one direction, was due to no left turns being allowed onto Bowery from the Manhattan side of the bridge....

Anyway, one thing about the B39 is that it doesn't even take you directly to a subway station on the Brooklyn side; the thing stops dead at WBP (and in the furthest lane from the nearest subway station (Marcy (J)) on top of it).... At least the B51 actually took you to a point of interest (outside of being a subway alternative) - B39's usage was (and still is) predominantly to transport riders to Delancey/Essex subway..... You would think there'd be more people that'd take it (B39) to reach the infamous M15, but there unfortunately isn't....

15 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

But then the same could be said for every single other subway line in the system, should they also have duplicative bus service?

...Which is why my stance on the matter is that both of those routes should have been kept, or both of them should've gotten eliminated.... There's no more of a reason that the B39 should've been kept over the B51....

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

These buses used to be on Staten Island, and I used to ride them EVERY DAY (at that time, they weren't as run down, but still getting there), and drivers would take the same bus. They like them supposedly because they are fast. I will admit that the drivers I had would haul @ss with them, but now, you couldn't pay me to ride them. We had two of them a while back on the Riverdale lines and I said absolutely not. Got one one morning, the shocks were HORRIBLE. Seats sunken in.

Going home one day, I could tell from BusTime that it would be the next bus, so I went and relaxed for a bit and just took the next one. Total ripoff to pay $6.75 for a bus in such deplorable conditions. They show up often on the QM1 in the morning and afternoon, and on the 3rd Av lines.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A new one every day.... lol

Unlike the last time I had a driver that shouldn’t be driving, I didn’t get her control ID and tweet at NYCT.

I do have the bus number though - JIC NYCT asks me some questions.

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Unlike the last time I had a driver that shouldn’t be driving, I didn’t get her control ID and tweet at NYCT.

I do have the bus number though - JIC NYCT asks me some questions.

I have actually met some of the Customer Service Team members from the (MTA) down at 2 Broadway (late 2019 meeting), so they know who I am. Came over and shook my hand. "JP" and "JG" know who I am and a few of them are in my group.