Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm telling you, when they try to drive off the last of those old buses to the scrap pike,.some BO is gonna strap himself to the bus protest-style to prevent it lol. I would love one of them to explain why they love those buses so much

Because any new buses tend to be problematic and annoying to deal with from the start. I know I would rather use an RTS then a XD40 when they first coming in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYC bus driver to me: “You didn’t wave at me so I thought you were waiting for a different bus.”

I guess we have to hail bus drivers when standing at bus stops now.

FOH.

  • LMAO! 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

NYC bus driver to me: “You didn’t wave at me so I thought you were waiting for a different bus.”

I guess we have to hail bus drivers when standing at bus stops now.

FOH.

A new one every day.... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm telling you, when they try to drive off the last of those old buses to the scrap pike,.some BO is gonna strap himself to the bus protest-style to prevent it lol. I would love one of them to explain why they love those buses so much

Didn’t this happen with College Point’s 1998-99 Orion V CNGs lol?

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 3:27 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think there is any demand for an extension.

As for a Brooklyn extension, I don’t think they’d extend it unless the B46 terminates at Dekalb Ave or Woodhull hospital and the Q24 terminates at Broadway Junction. 

Running the B39 to Broadway Junction is nothing short of ridiculous.... A(nother) truncation of the Q24 to B'way Junction wouldn't be remotely plausible to justify running the B39 there.... Terminating all B46's at Dekalb would neither be here nor there in such a hypothetical, since the B39 would be panning along Broadway anyway....

21 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Agreed. No need to extend the B39 at this point. It’s only function is just to shuttle from the Bridge to Allen Street.

B39 would be most useful panning north or south of Delancey on the Manhattan side (how far in either direction is moot/debatable).... But sending the thing WB past Allen st. I see as a dead draw.... Allen st. is basically a convenient (or convenient enough, all things considered) layover & turnaround area...

Brooklyn side, well outside of intentionally marring the current network, there's really no where to send it that would make a real difference IMO.... Williamsburg patrons north of the bridge are too busy gunning for & bombarding (L)'s, bus usage is feeble in the Jewish part of Williamsburg (as in, south of Broadway), and the B46 & the B60 panning EB from WBP doesn't really need a supplement.

21 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

There was a mention about the B51. No need to revive the 51 at this point. You have all the subway lines serving the immediate area of Chinatown, City Hall and Fulton/Nassau. If they wanted to keep the 51 back in the day it would been useful for a Canal Street Crosstown and end at W. Houston and West Street (Pier 40) over by UPS/FED-EX/Sanitation sharing the M21 bus stop. 

FWIW, the idea I had for the thing was to run it to BMCC via Chambers... Canal wouldn't benefit from a crosstown service... Reason the B51 even used Canal in that one direction, was due to no left turns being allowed onto Bowery from the Manhattan side of the bridge....

Anyway, one thing about the B39 is that it doesn't even take you directly to a subway station on the Brooklyn side; the thing stops dead at WBP (and in the furthest lane from the nearest subway station (Marcy (J)) on top of it).... At least the B51 actually took you to a point of interest (outside of being a subway alternative) - B39's usage was (and still is) predominantly to transport riders to Delancey/Essex subway..... You would think there'd be more people that'd take it (B39) to reach the infamous M15, but there unfortunately isn't....

15 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

But then the same could be said for every single other subway line in the system, should they also have duplicative bus service?

...Which is why my stance on the matter is that both of those routes should have been kept, or both of them should've gotten eliminated.... There's no more of a reason that the B39 should've been kept over the B51....

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm telling you, when they try to drive off the last of those old buses to the scrap pike,.some BO is gonna strap himself to the bus protest-style to prevent it lol. I would love one of them to explain why they love those buses so much

These buses used to be on Staten Island, and I used to ride them EVERY DAY (at that time, they weren't as run down, but still getting there), and drivers would take the same bus. They like them supposedly because they are fast. I will admit that the drivers I had would haul @ss with them, but now, you couldn't pay me to ride them. We had two of them a while back on the Riverdale lines and I said absolutely not. Got one one morning, the shocks were HORRIBLE. Seats sunken in.

Going home one day, I could tell from BusTime that it would be the next bus, so I went and relaxed for a bit and just took the next one. Total ripoff to pay $6.75 for a bus in such deplorable conditions. They show up often on the QM1 in the morning and afternoon, and on the 3rd Av lines.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A new one every day.... lol

Unlike the last time I had a driver that shouldn’t be driving, I didn’t get her control ID and tweet at NYCT.

I do have the bus number though - JIC NYCT asks me some questions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Unlike the last time I had a driver that shouldn’t be driving, I didn’t get her control ID and tweet at NYCT.

I do have the bus number though - JIC NYCT asks me some questions.

I have actually met some of the Customer Service Team members from the (MTA) down at 2 Broadway (late 2019 meeting), so they know who I am. Came over and shook my hand. "JP" and "JG" know who I am and a few of them are in my group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have actually met some of the Customer Service Team members from the (MTA) down at 2 Broadway (late 2019 meeting), so they know who I am. Came over and shook my hand. "JP" and "JG" know who I am and a few of them are in my group. 

That your way of saying I’m getting a DM shortly? 😂 

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deucey said:

NYC bus driver to me: “You didn’t wave at me so I thought you were waiting for a different bus.”

I guess we have to hail bus drivers when standing at bus stops now.

FOH.

funny... I've had quite a few B/O's out of Far Rock start to say that to me when I've waited to board either the Q21/41 or QM15 at the 89th St & 155 Av stop in Lindenwood.. then i flash my pass with the "give me a friggin' break" look on my face (even being masked up, they know that i know that's BS) 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

funny... I've had quite a few B/O's out of Far Rock start to say that to me when I've waited to board either the Q21/41 or QM15 at the 89th St & 155 Av stop in Lindenwood.. then i flash my pass with the "give me a friggin' break" look on my face (even being masked up, they know that i know that's BS) 

8 years I’ve been a resident; better part of 25 years I’ve been swiping MetroCards or putting coins in the (MTA) fare boxes and today’s the only time a driver at a stop with multiple routes on it expected me to hail them to stop instead of honoring the global custom of waving to tell them not to stop.

Got my Moderna jab though.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Got my Moderna jab though.

Got mine on Friday. Dumb luck at a pharmacy throwing out leftover doses... How you feeling?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Got mine on Friday. Dumb luck at a pharmacy throwing out leftover doses... How you feeling?

Mad that S52 is unofficially running hourly, so I had to S44 to Jewett Av (where I had the driver “comment”) then S48 to Slosson/Bay to walk home since 52 never showed up.

But the arm is fine. And I can still smell and taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deucey said:

That your way of saying I’m getting a DM shortly? 😂 

Don't deal with the local lines. Sorry. I can tell you though that Staten Island is still dealing w/a driver shortage. Been a real struggle of late in fact. I can't go into specifics right now but I am waiting to hear back regarding the chains on the express buses. Are the chains still up on the local buses? Getting conflicting reports about that. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't deal with the local lines. Sorry. I can tell you though that Staten Island is still dealing w/a driver shortage. Been a real struggle of late in fact. I can't go into specifics right now but I am waiting to hear back regarding the chains on the express buses. Are the chains still up on the local buses? Getting conflicting reports about that. 

It's mostly on the Novabus units where the one seat behind the driver is chained off to what I seen. 

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't deal with the local lines. Sorry. I can tell you though that Staten Island is still dealing w/a driver shortage. Been a real struggle of late in fact. I can't go into specifics right now but I am waiting to hear back regarding the chains on the express buses. Are the chains still up on the local buses? Getting conflicting reports about that. 

They are on the Nova Buses for that one seat in front of the left wheel well behind the driver.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I jinxed my BxM4 and BxM7 since yesterday. About a dozen missed runs between the two since last night, oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Deucey said:

NYC bus driver to me: “You didn’t wave at me so I thought you were waiting for a different bus.”

I guess we have to hail bus drivers when standing at bus stops now.

FOH.

I flag them to ensure that the b/o realizes that his/her bus is the bus I need, instead of some other route at a shared stop.... Hell, I find myself flagging buses when only the one route serves it.... When a bus I don't need arrives first, I either shake my head no & wave them off, or walk a decent distance away from the stop without making any kind of eye contact with the b/o....

What irritates me is the very flipside of this - as in, when a b/o stops at a bus stop, with the person full knowing that they're either not getting on that particular route, or a(ny) bus at all.... That shit is a waste of time, especially when that person is the only person at the stop.

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deucey said:

8 years I’ve been a resident; better part of 25 years I’ve been swiping MetroCards or putting coins in the (MTA) fare boxes and today’s the only time a driver at a stop with multiple routes on it expected me to hail them to stop instead of honoring the global custom of waving to tell them not to stop.

Got my Moderna jab though.

Personally, if it's not what I'm looking for, I just back away from the curb.

Regardless, waving to flag the driver down is something that should only need to be done if you're approaching the bus from behind.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lex said:

Personally, if it's not what I'm looking for, I just back away from the curb.....

I used to do that, but I found that more often than not, b/o's would still stop for me (with nobody getting off, or anyone else at the stop at the time)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

I used to do that, but I found that more often than not, b/o's would still stop for me (with nobody getting off, or anyone else at the stop at the time)....

Apparently, some just can't take the hint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, a lot of these bad practices (stopping for someone who's clearly not getting on, deliberately waiting for a green light to turn red, not passing a bus of the same route even though there's a service gap and bad crowding) stem from the byzantine, trivial, nit-picky rules put in place by the people in charge.  For better or worse, truth is most bus drivers are scared shitless of being written up by their supervisors over some BS...

That said, nothing is going to change as long as the agency continues to be run by out-of-touch executives and an absolutely toxic level of middle management.

Edited by R10 2952

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I think I jinxed my BxM4 and BxM7 since yesterday. About a dozen missed runs between the two since last night, oops.

Those lines overnight are all based on who signs up for the service. Nobody wants it, it doesn't run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those lines overnight are all based on who signs up for the service. Nobody wants it, it doesn't run.

Actually I’m talking about this afternoon too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Actually I’m talking about this afternoon too.

Yeah, a number of depots are dealing with driver shortages. It's COVID related for the most part. I actually took the BxM2 today to the City and got an Uber afterwards. I just got the 7:30 BxM2 home from my Uber. No problems.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.