BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I've seen people chilling and having conversations while leaning against the bus stop poles. 

That must be an outer borough thing.

Loosely related topic: Queens is (or was?) big on people queuing in a single file line to board a bus. I’d see that *all the time* while waiting for the Q10 at Kew Gardens, and also at the busier ex-PBL stops in Manhattan.

But a B/O surely can’t miss a whole lineup of people...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only four 2002 MCI units out of College Point made service this morning: 2858, 2895, 2897 & 2910. 2868, 2882, 2885 and 2926 also were out there (surprised with 2926 still being at play, that I seriously need to get a ride on it already considering it's the literal last Private Bus Lines bus in service in the entire five boroughs). 

Both 2001 units (2204 and 2209) did not make it out for service. I was unable to check yesterday due to the app I use glitching out however will check again for the PM rush. 

As CP seems to have near or all 25 of their Prevosts in now it's expected the remaining 2002 units have very little time left however it also appears the worst performing 2004-6 units have and are retiring first, borrowing a little more time for those last Flipdot units. 

Edited by 4P3607
typo!

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm sure there would be backlash to this if it was an official policy from disabled rider groups...not everyone can lift/wave their arm, and they shouldn't have to

14 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think that's a bit extreme. If they're carrying grocery bags or something heavy, some sort of general motion should be sufficient. 

I've seen people chilling and having conversations while leaning against the bus stop poles. 

Im not talking about the disabled or grocery carrying ppl...I was talking about people standing at the stops waiting....Not sitting in wheelchairs etc...And even then you still have to somehow signal a driver to stop....Believe it or not disable ppl camp out at certain bus stops in nj where a driver will stop only to close the doors cause they dont want the bus...I seen it plenty of times

8 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Im not talking about the disabled or grocery carrying ppl...I was talking about people standing at the stops waiting....Not sitting in wheelchairs etc...And even then you still have to somehow signal a driver to stop....Believe it or not disable ppl camp out at certain bus stops in nj where a driver will stop only to close the doors cause they dont want the bus...I seen it plenty of times

I'm not following you on the NJ Transit buses. What exactly is it that the disabled people do to board the bus? I have never seen a wheelchair person on a NJ Transit bus. Granted, most of the time I'm in a car if I'm in NJ, but I have taken the express buses in the past there to reach our NJ offices.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not following you on the NJ Transit buses. What exactly is it that the disabled people do to board the bus? I have never seen a wheelchair person on a NJ Transit bus. Granted, most of the time I'm in a car if I'm in NJ, but I have taken the express buses in the past there to reach our NJ offices.

From my observation ive seen most ppl who are disable  that needs a bus (that cant raise their hands or arms) normally is with someone else that can do it for them....Ive seen certain disable ppl that can function well enough that will stick out their cane or they own hand or arm or even walking chairs in some areas believe it or not.....The few disabled ive seen in wheelchairs by themselves normally will sit right at the edge of the sidewalk next to the bus stop sign that will make a driver stop to see if that person wants the bus...

3 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

From my observation ive seen most ppl who are disable  that needs a bus (that cant raise their hands or arms) normally is with someone else that can do it for them....Ive seen certain disable ppl that can function well enough that will stick out their cane or they own hand or arm or even walking chairs in some areas believe it or not.....The few disabled ive seen in wheelchairs by themselves normally will sit right at the edge of the sidewalk next to the bus stop sign that will make a driver stop to see if that person wants the bus...

It's funny actually. I think all of the times that I've used the express buses to reach our NJ offices, I have never seen a disabled person board.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's funny actually. I think all of the times that I've used the express buses to reach our NJ offices, I have never seen a disabled person board.

To be honest VG8 most of Njt bus lines that uses MCI'S are not express runs...Some of them have express trips certain times of the day but are local lines...Ive seen it a couple of times when i was on the 128 line

3 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

To be honest VG8 most of Njt bus lines that uses MCI'S are not express runs...Some of them have express trips certain times of the day but are local lines...Ive seen it a couple of times when i was on the 128 line

I know, but I have definitely used lines that are express, like the 163 to Ridgewood. Sometimes for meetings for work in Weehawken, Hoboken or Jersey City, I will hop on the express bus. Some of them are coming from further out like the 168.  There was one bus I used that was definitely a local bus to a meeting I had there, but it was just across the water. Hoboken I believe.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:45 AM, paulrivera said:

It feels like the only buses that run without any missing runs around my parts are the BxM4 and BxM7 overnight.

There technically is an ADA path from Barclays to Canal ((4) via (6) transfer at Brooklyn Bridge, which is accessible itself) and Barclays to Broadway-Lafayette (one stop over from Grand on the (B) and (D)) so there's no need for a bus anyway.

They should work on getting the BMT platforms at Canal accessible also, but I digress...

If you are so burdened you need an elevator that Canal-Grand schlep is longer than you think. Try telling grandma with the cane or mom with the stroller that they just need to go 10-15 minutes out of the way. And on congested Chinatown streets (though probably less true these days)

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

If you are so burdened you need an elevator that Canal-Grand schlep is longer than you think. Try telling grandma with the cane or mom with the stroller that they just need to go 10-15 minutes out of the way. And on congested Chinatown streets (though probably less true these days)

Is that the station where the (Q) stops? I remember when they were renovating that stop. It was like a rat maze, and cold and damp feeling too.

25 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

They say ridership is down... please cite sources.

image0.pngimage0.png

Ridership is still down overall compared to how it normally is. You’ll see a big difference once, more people head back to the office, all schools are completely reopened, restaurants, movie theaters and other venues are back at full capacity. These little spikes in ridership are most likely due to the nicer weather we’ve been having so more people want to be out. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Ridership is still down overall compared to how it normally is. You’ll see a big difference once, more people head back to the office, all schools are completely reopened, restaurants, movie theaters and other venues are back at full capacity. These little spikes in ridership are most likely due to the nicer weather we’ve been having so more people want to be out. 

@paulriveraI just spoke with my contact about ridership. Overall the numbers are down, but part of it is missing buses too. They just look at averages overall, but some buses are crowded for a variety of reasons. I agree... Ridership will tick up and has been little by little. The other thing you're forgetting is they only count riders that PAY. I'm sure the Bx12 has RAMPANT farebeating.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2204, 2209 and all but 4 2002 MCIs did not make their way into service today, and quite possibly yesterday as well. Only 2858, 2895, 2897 and 2910 were out today. 

From what I understand the other remaining units at CP are 2843, 2852/5/9, 2861/6/8, 2871/8, 2897 & 2905/7 (12). 

2926 from ECH did see a usual PM run. At least one of Staten's '02 units saw PM service today; those probably will continue to run until the depot they're in recieves new or some buses to push them out. 

Those of you who wished these buses gone, are finally getting what you wished for. Lol

22 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

2204, 2209 and all but 4 2002 MCIs did not make their way into service today, and quite possibly yesterday as well. Only 2858, 2895, 2897 and 2910 were out today. 

From what I understand the other remaining units at CP are 2843, 2852/5/9, 2861/6/8, 2871/8, 2897 & 2905/7 (12). 

2926 from ECH did see a usual PM run. At least one of Staten's '02 units saw PM service today; those probably will continue to run until the depot they're in recieves new or some buses to push them out. 

Those of you who wished these buses gone, are finally getting what you wished for. Lol

2859 is also on the QM7 at the moment. 

43 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

One ran on the SIM7 about two hours ago and 2882 was at Eltingville.

1 hour ago, 4P3607 said:

Units in bold are actually: 2858 and 2910. 2855 and 2907 are retired. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Is that the station where the (Q) stops? I remember when they were renovating that stop. It was like a rat maze, and cold and damp feeling too.

Yep. I wouldn't call it close to Grand St by any means.

Canal St could use some Fulton-style love; the platforms and stairs and everything is all too cramped.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, Lawrence St said:

A driver on the Bx12 actually passed me up and I had to run to the next stop (thank God for traffic on Fordham) and when I asked him why he passed me he said "oh I thought you were taking pictures of the bus".

Reminds me of this time in Sacramento in high school or college when I was rounding a corner trying to get on the 23 bus to somewhere in the City of Sac (I lived in urban, unincorporated Sacramento County) and waved to the driver to stop and he waved back as he passed me.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@paulriveraI just spoke with my contact about ridership. Overall the numbers are down, but part of it is missing buses too. They just look at averages overall, but some buses are crowded for a variety of reasons. I agree... Ridership will tick up and has been little by little. The other thing you're forgetting is they only count riders that PAY. I'm sure the Bx12 has RAMPANT farebeating.

The thing I’m wondering is how they count who’s gotten off the bus for those pax counts - is it a formula for how many times the front door opens without a swipe or tap AND how long the back door stays open, or something else?

8 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The thing I’m wondering is how they count who’s gotten off the bus for those pax counts - is it a formula for how many times the front door opens without a swipe or tap AND how long the back door stays open, or something else?

they have sensors over each door that count whenever someone gets on or off.

40 minutes ago, Deucey said:

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

they have sensors over each door that count whenever someone gets on or off.

Yes, they started installing the sensors over a year ago. Previously they were much less accurate, so that an express bus would show as having seats available, but was really packed or SRO. Now they have fine tuned it considerably. All of the new buses coming in will have it and some have already been retrofitted. Most local buses have them.