BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What was the reasoning for rerouting the Bx5 to Bay Plaza instead of Orchard Beach a few years ago?

IIRC they wanted to send the Bx5 up there so that folks had more accessibility to the malls, especially those in the southeast Bronx. The MTA added some shuttle trips on the Bx12 local between Orchard Beach and Pelham Bay to make up for the loss of Bx5 service there.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Finally an express bus with the passenger counters

Also, Yonkers is really shorthanded today. Their dispatchers are furiously trying to make lemonade out of lemons tho, but once there's more than a driver or two out.... rip reliability.

Some of the MCI CTs and the Prevosts have the counters. 

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

unknown.png

Also, Yonkers is really shorthanded today. Their dispatchers are furiously trying to make lemonade out of lemons tho, but once there's more than a driver or two out.... rip reliability.

A lot of the X63/64/68's have had counters for a while

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

unknown.png

There are plenty of express buses with passenger counts (most are on Staten Island though). Yonkers Depot only has one or two express buses. Eastchester has none. Ulmer Park has a decent amount, and Spring Creek has some as well). College Point only has passenger counts on the Prevosts.

As far as short drivers go, I have spoke with the VP of the union for Yonkers Depot, as I know him and he has been a driver for years. Not their fault. (MTA) needs to train and hire more drivers. Lots of drivers in my group have vacation time and are using it (as they should), and they should have drivers to cover. Others are out sick, etc. I know one guy got into a bad car accident off the job and was out for a while. Came back recently. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

This is **without** missing runs

image0.pngimage1.png
The M15 is filling up too, but I don’t wanna spam this page with screenshots.

How many of those people actually pay the fare? That's my question to you. I have used the Bx12 SBS a few times from say Metro-North over by Fordham U and a few other times, a few years ago, and I didn't see many people getting tickets. Service is provided by how many people actually pay, so the numbers may be bad for that reason, leading to packed buses.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How many of those people actually pay the fare? That's my question to you.

Based on a seeing eye test, about half and half. More people seem to pay on the Pelham end than on the Fordham and Inwood end.

Also, high schools just opened up so naturally even less people are dipping their cards.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How many of those people actually pay the fare? That's my question to you. I have used the Bx12 SBS a few times from say Metro-North over by Fordham U and a few other times, a few years ago, and I didn't see many people getting tickets. Service is provided by how many people actually pay, so the numbers may be bad for that reason, leading to packed buses.

Keep in mind that with UniTicket, you just show that in place of the ticket from the machine. Though I doubt a significant percentage of Bx12 riders are using it.

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Keep in mind that with UniTicket, you just show that in place of the ticket from the machine. Though I doubt a significant percentage of Bx12 riders are using it.

I know, but I'm talking about wayyyy before OMNY.  I've been living in Riverdale for a good 10 years now, and most of the time I'm either on the express bus, MNRR or in a car, but if I had meetings for work or something work-related, there are times when I would sometimes opt to take a local bus over walking just for the hell of it. Granted, I haven't used these lines a lot, but from my observations, I would conclude that overall, certain areas of the Bronx have a high farebeating problem, that makes it appear that ridership numbers are declining when they are not. On the Bx6, Bx36 especially, I was often times the only paying passenger where I boarded. I can't say how bad lines like those are for the entire route, but just for the few stops I used them, very few people paid. On the Bx41SBS, I would get off and have people asking me for my receipt. Just gave them the are you crazy look and kept moving. I haven't used local buses outside of Riverdale in a few years to be honest, and even in Riverdale, it's maybe a few times a year on the way to Metro-North or something, but I do wonder how they are doing with farebeating. They seemed to have cracked down on the Bx41SBS, but then again, the Eagle Team is so infrequent on SBS lines I have used in the City in the past (M14, M23, M79 and M86), who knows.

So within the last week only 2858, 2859, 2871, 2895, 2897 and 2910 out of CP have been trackable and seen service. Earlier in the week I witnessed 2209 deadheading to Manhattan however it would not track and I didn't see it come back on Queens Blvd by Rego Park (where the majority of CP express buses come through during the PM). Both 2204 and 2209 and the rest of the 2002 MCIs at CP have not tracked at all within the last week, although there may be units that did see service that simply were not trackable (would love some insight on this).

2882 and 2885 from Staten have been out almost every day and 2926 daily with the exception of this morning; as ECH has just received two new Prevosts that last Ex-PBL unit is on very borrowed time.

Also witnessed 1319 deadheading back from an AM run on the LIE this morning with CP stickers (and minor scratches on one side). 

Edited by 4P3607

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know, but I'm talking about wayyyy before OMNY.  I've been living in Riverdale for a good 10 years now, and most of the time I'm either on the express bus, MNRR or in a car, but if I had meetings for work or something work-related, there are times when I would sometimes opt to take a local bus over walking just for the hell of it. Granted, I haven't used these lines a lot, but from my observations, I would conclude that overall, certain areas of the Bronx have a high farebeating problem, that makes it appear that ridership numbers are declining when they are not. On the Bx6, Bx36 especially, I was often times the only paying passenger where I boarded. I can't say how bad lines like those are for the entire route, but just for the few stops I used them, very few people paid. On the Bx41SBS, I would get off and have people asking me for my receipt. Just gave them the are you crazy look and kept moving. I haven't used local buses outside of Riverdale in a few years to be honest, and even in Riverdale, it's maybe a few times a year on the way to Metro-North or something, but I do wonder how they are doing with farebeating. They seemed to have cracked down on the Bx41SBS, but then again, the Eagle Team is so infrequent on SBS lines I have used in the City in the past (M14, M23, M79 and M86), who knows.

UniTicket is basically a pass you buy that gives you discounted access to local routes that connect to a particular station. So if somebody lived in Riverdale and wanted to strictly use Metro-North, they could take the Hudson RailLink and Metro-North for $246.75 per month, or $77 per week. (But if you use the subway or any Manhattan local bus then you're better off just using a MetroCard).

I was under the impression that they offered it for the local routes at Fordham, but apparently not (or they must've discontinued it). Right now they offer it for buses to/from Rosedale, Bayside, and Flushing, as well as for NICE Bus and Long Beach Bus on Long Island, as well as for the Hudson RailLink.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

UniTicket is basically a pass you buy that gives you discounted access to local routes that connect to a particular station. So if somebody lived in Riverdale and wanted to strictly use Metro-North, they could take the Hudson RailLink and Metro-North for $246.75 per month, or $77 per week. (But if you use the subway or any Manhattan local bus then you're better off just using a MetroCard).

I was under the impression that they offered it for the local routes at Fordham, but apparently not (or they must've discontinued it). Right now they offer it for buses to/from Rosedale, Bayside, and Flushing, as well as for NICE Bus and Long Beach Bus on Long Island, as well as for the Hudson RailLink.

I ignored your Uniticket comment because I thought you were confused. As far as I know, it is only available for those of us in Riverdale that use the Hudson Raillink and Metro-North. I don't know of any shuttle services for Fordham. There are a number of people that use it in my area, and I have bought it previously. It's fine if you drive on weekends and don't use anything but Metro-North. I have done it here and there when I'm using a car on weekends, but if I'm taking the express bus, I don't bother with it. I haven't bought a Uniticket in some time though.

The main reason we have it is because our MNRR stations don't have much parking and the stations are isolated along the Hudson. I don't think any of the other stations you mentioned have such an issue. Fordham has plenty of bus options and is in a pedestrian friendly area. The ones in Queens have ample parking. We couldn't handle the car volume with our hilly, narrow streets, hence the smaller buses as well.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, biGC323232 said:

I know what u mean.....U right it does waste time ..They should do like NJT does...If you don't put out your hand regardless of how many buses acutally stops at a stop...Drivers will blow right by you like you not there

That aspect of offensive driving is one reason I like fanning NJT's routes (even on routes like the #1, #21, and the 25, where the roads aren't always free-flowing) & quite frankly, I agree with you... NJT b/o's don't spend much of any time pulling into stops hesitatingly deciphering if someone is trying to get on their particular bus/route or not..... Basically, the attitude is that it's the passenger's responsibility to notify/hail/signal to the b/o that his/her bus is the one that they need.... It's not like the rails for example where all stops have to be made, regardless if anyone is getting off or not...

The problem with the suggestion though in actuality is that our buses here in NYC simply move too slow (generally speaking) & on top of it, defensive driving (with good reason) may as well be gospel.....

On 3/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, Future ENY OP said:

That Red Hook experiment has been a disaster for the better part of 15+ years since Grand Avenue occupied that route. It's been a bigger disaster since they did the whole Downtown Brooklyn realignment. Although we all have good ideas on how to revive the B51 can it garner good ridership between Red Hook to City Hall via Downtown Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridge.

In terms of bus service, what Brooklyn CB6 (Red Hook, Carroll Gdns., Park Slope, that general sector of BK) really wants is express bus service to Manhattan.... The next best thing is probably local service directly to the Financial District.... Basically, something to compensate for the (F) not serving Manhattan south of Chinatown..... While I would favor having a reversion of the B51 taking over the B57 south of Downtown Brooklyn (b/c the B57 shouldn't be running that far south, from Maspeth, in the first place), I don't really see it attracting the Carroll Gdns., etc. folks that are seeking (Lower) Manhattan.... If the idea is to kill 2 birds with one stone (simple reversion of the B51 + fulfilling the concerns of Brooklyn CB6 as far as transportation goes), it would be too reliant on having ppl. walk southwards from City Hall.....

As far as can it garner good ridership, well while I admit there is a decent enough a riderbase on that part of the B57 b/w Red Hook & Downtown Brooklyn (SB at least), I'd have to say the old B51 patronage has evaporated... Pretty sure them mf-ers have retired (not tryna be funny)..... It was heavily reliant on those older women that used to come off the Ridgewood-Downtown Bklyn. routes (along with the B45/65) that worked at/around City Hall.... If there's latent ridership from younger-than-senior-citizen-age that are currently taking buses into Downtown Bklyn. that warrants the creation/reversion of a bus running b/w Downtown Brooklyn & Lower Manhattan or whatever, I wouldn't know it.... Basically what I'm getting at is that whatever levels of patronage a route of sorts would garner, would have to be attained cumulatively (intra-Brooklyn + interborough usage), moreso than heavily relying on the interborough usage....

I do wonder though how many Brooklynites that disembark buses at Borough Hall subway, take (whatever) subway line into Manhattan that disembark no further north than say, SoHo, or something....

On 3/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Another route I'd like to bring back would be the B77 back to its origin 10th and 5th---> Red Hook ----> Battery Park City/South Ferry via BBT.

Looks like that B71 proposal that was making it's rounds a while ago went very quiet.

While I miss the old B77 also, there's really no point with the advent of today's B61 & all; the demand for that route is too great....

Let's go down the yellow brick road here.... Having extended the Red Hook - Queens Plaza rendition of the old B61 to the Ikea a couple blocks over, was the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak) for riders that complained about how delayed that rendition of the B61 was (which I personally think was a tad bit overblown at the time, but whatever)... Which eventually resulted in the split pattern that had the (then) B61 run b/w Downtown Bklyn. & Ikea, and the B62 doing what it does now.... Not too long after that crap happened, the infamous draconian June 2010 cuts happened - which had that Downtown Bklyn. - Ikea rendition of the B61 extended to Park Slope - 20th st. to end up doing away with the old B75 & B77..... While today's B61 is what you could dub as successful (and at the time, I saw it coming a mile away), I didn't really care for tinkering with Park Slope's bus service to justify (building on) the splitting of the old (Red Hook - Queens Plaza) B61.....

The B75 was abysmal because its service levels were shit (on top of it, it really didn't need to end with the B67 up there on Jay/Sands either).... That route was always treated like a bastard stepchild to the B67; any Park Sloper that were privy to their bus services would tell you this.... I hate to say this, but it was always my belief that it was the MTA's belief that the B77 was overserved.... B77 running to Downtown Brooklyn would've been even more successful than the B61, since it would've ate less mileage than today's B61 does.... The only real problem I have with today's B61 is that it serves too much of Park Slope.... They didn't want to continue piecemealing 9th st. service, hence today's B61.... I honestly don't see the real need for a through 9th st service that "backdoors" its way to Downtown Brooklyn via Red Hook - which goes back to the statement I italicized dark-red above...

The demand for the IKEA was blown Way the f*** out of proportion.

That B71+ idea, yeah, IDK what's going on with it either.... I'm not holding my breath of course, but at this point, best we can do is sit on our hands & hope it gets revisited with the Brooklyn bus network redesign.....

On 3/23/2021 at 1:58 AM, paulrivera said:

Loosely related topic: Queens is (or was?) big on people queuing in a single file line to board a bus. I’d see that *all the time* while waiting for the Q10 at Kew Gardens, and also at the busier ex-PBL stops in Manhattan.

But a B/O surely can’t miss a whole lineup of people...

It's (still currently) a Queens thing with the local buses, just as much as it is an express bus thing city-wide....

14 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It's (still currently) a Queens thing with the local buses, just as much as it is an express bus thing city-wide....

Pardon my ignorance but as a former Queens guy how exactly do people wait for buses in other boroughs? Most buses are still front door only.

5 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Pardon my ignorance but as a former Queens guy how exactly do people wait for buses in other boroughs? Most buses are still front door only.

Just swarm the doors and whoever gets in first gets in first. (I'm not talking necessarily in a pushing/shoving type of way, but it's a crowd around the door rather than a line to the door)

@B35 via Church FWIW Red Hook was an area that was mentioned multiple times in the Brooklyn Existing Conditions Report. I'd be pretty confident of something along the lines of the B71+ being brought to fruition. Maybe something that gets out of the BBT, swings through Red Hook, and then goes via Smith/Court to Union Street.

24 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

They don't wait in no organized line at bus stops, I'll tell you that much... People in the other outerboroughs basically funnel their way into the bus... You can be the first person at the stop & not be the first person on the bus..... It's more of a jockey for position thing as to how/when people board the bus.

11 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church FWIW Red Hook was an area that was mentioned multiple times in the Brooklyn Existing Conditions Report. I'd be pretty confident of something along the lines of the B71+ being brought to fruition. Maybe something that gets out of the BBT, swings through Red Hook, and then goes via Smith/Court to Union Street.

However it serves that pocket of Brooklyn (Red Hook, Carroll Gdns., etc.), either way I wouldn't wince if they didn't have it running past Flatbush av....

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

It actually varies depending on the area. For example, in my area in Riverdale, some stops have lines for the local buses, such as at West 239th St & Riverdale Av, and others don't. You go to Riverdale Av & West 236th St, and there is no real line for the Bx7. People don't swarm the doors though either. It's a bit more civilized. 

I grew up in Queens near PBL local routes, back in the day; the single-file line was definitely a thing I saw only in that borough and nowhere else.  That said, I never saw people storming the bus or anything in the Bronx... you'd have to go elsewhere in the world to see something like that.

Edited by R10 2952

2 minutes ago, NYCTransitFannerBoy said:

I saw two Spring Creek Depot based MCI D4500CLs on 3rd Ave in East Harlem yesterday and they were signed up as the BM5 to Midtown. Are there any units being transferred from Spring Creek to Yonkers?

I'm pretty sure Yonkers transferred a few units over to Spring Creek. 3073 I believe was once a Yonkers bus now at Spring Creek.