BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

49 minutes ago, NYCTransitFannerBoy said:

I saw two Spring Creek Depot based MCI D4500CLs on 3rd Ave in East Harlem yesterday and they were signed up as the BM5 to Midtown. Are there any units being transferred from Spring Creek to Yonkers?

IIRC there’s a lot on 128th and 2nd where they often store some express coaches during the week. I’ve seen a few Spring Creek and Far Rockaway buses up there a few years back. They do this so buses don’t have to trek all the way back to Queens and this way they can get buses to Midtown faster.

Staten Island does the same thing where they store their buses around the Michael J. Quill depot during the middle of the day so they don’t have to drive all the way back to Staten Island after an AM trip and they can have their buses in Midtown in time for the PM rush.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

IIRC there’s a lot on 128th and 2nd where they often store some express coaches during the week. I’ve seen a few Spring Creek and Far Rockaway buses up there a few years back. They do this so buses don’t have to trek all the way back to Queens and this way they can get buses to Midtown faster.

Staten Island does the same thing where they store their buses around the Michael J. Quill depot during the middle of the day so they don’t have to drive all the way back to Staten Island after an AM trip and they can have their buses in Midtown in time for the PM rush.

That wasn't the question though. He asked if units were being transferred. The answer is yes. I believe 3231 is another unit that's been around and transferred between Yonkers and Spring Creek.

1 hour ago, NYCTransitFannerBoy said:

I saw two Spring Creek Depot based MCI D4500CLs on 3rd Ave in East Harlem yesterday and they were signed up as the BM5 to Midtown. Are there any units being transferred from Spring Creek to Yonkers?

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That wasn't the question though. He asked if units were being transferred. The answer is yes. I believe 3231 is another unit that's been around and transferred between Yonkers and Spring Creek.

It kinda was... his underlying question was whether or not units were recently transferred from Spring Creek to Yonkers, namely the ones he saw. They aren't. (Yonkers might have sent a few buses to them but that happened a few months ago, not recently). In fact there haven't been any reported transfers between the two depots for at least 2 months now (at least according to the transfers thread).

Now maybe I'm wrong and they actually are at Yonkers now, but most likely they were just going to that lot in East Harlem I mentioned earlier. They've been storing buses there during the midday between the AM and PM rush for years now.

28 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It kinda was... his underlying question was whether or not units were recently transferred from Spring Creek to Yonkers, namely the ones he saw. They aren't. (Yonkers might have sent a few buses to them but that happened a few months ago, not recently). In fact there haven't been any reported transfers between the two depots for at least 2 months now (at least according to the transfers thread).

Now maybe I'm wrong and they actually are at Yonkers now, but most likely they were just going to that lot in East Harlem I mentioned earlier. They've been storing buses there during the midday between the AM and PM rush for years now.

Well two months seems fairly recent to me. I use lines out of both depots so some of them I'm familiar with just from having used the buses so much. In any event, there are a few (MTA) Bus depots that borrow express buses on occasion that are not official transfers. Eastchester will sometimes do a Yonkers Depot trip or something. 

5 hours ago, NYCTransitFannerBoy said:

4 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

This is the answer, SC stores exp buses uptown during the midday hours.

I've heard of them using Tuskegee depot as well.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

This is the answer, SC stores exp buses uptown during the midday hours.

I've heard of them using Tuskegee depot as well.

That's been going on for years both at Quill and Tuskegee. I don't get why he would think it had anything to do with transfers though. The buses were signed up as a BM5. Unless it had Yonkers Depot stickers on them, I don't see the connection. 

33 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The QM5/6's were a total mess in the late AM today...bunch of missing runs, some QM6's showing up when QM5's are supposed to show up, buses dropping off of bustime, very slow rides. Yeesh. 

What time was this around?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's been going on for years both at Quill and Tuskegee. I don't get why he would think it had anything to do with transfers though. The buses were signed up as a BM5. Unless it had Yonkers Depot stickers on them, I don't see the connection. 

What time was this around?

Between 10:15 am and noon or so (perhaps later as well, but that's the window I was traveling in and was tracking buses)

Edited by QM1to6Ave

2 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Between 10:15 am and noon or so (perhaps later as well, but that's the window I was traveling in and was tracking buses)

Well a new QM35 bus broke down tonight... The 4pm bus I think it was to Glen Oaks. 1325... Passenger in my group was not happy about it. Kind of a mess traffic wise today too.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well a new QM35 bus broke down tonight... The 4pm bus I think it was to Glen Oaks. 1325... Passenger in my group was not happy about it. Kind of a mess traffic wise today too.

Lovely. Yeah, I dunno what was going on with people on the LIE today but it seemed like there were 100 different crashes at the same time! Beautiful day out, and I thought it would be light traffic with spring break...dunno why everyone forgot how to drive lol

I'm reporting every bus driver that does 20-25mph in the HOV lane...its disrespectful to passengers & people BEHIND that's trying to get somewhere. If you can't drive you need to work on cleaning buses or doing something in the depot/yard. Seriously the MTA needs to drop that stupid rule "paid to be late". You should be paid for running late due to circumstances out of your control, not because you're so f**kinn broke that you need extra pennies at the end of your shift. Literally I saw a SIM1/SIM7 bus get out the HOV lane in Brooklyn towards Manhattan, just to get on at the split on the Gowanus by 55st. Then over the hill down to the tunnel a SIM2 passed us by using the ramp merger from the Prospect because we were going that slow. I do not feel safe on buses with drivers like this. Slow does not mean safe, slow makes you complacent and less responsive AND if you're driving that slow you're probably scared or have PTSD from something and you should not be behind the wheel. Reported! f**kinn disgrace. 

13 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm reporting every bus driver that does 20-25mph in the HOV lane...its disrespectful to passengers & people BEHIND that's trying to get somewhere. If you can't drive you need to work on cleaning buses or doing something in the depot/yard. Seriously the MTA needs to drop that stupid rule "paid to be late". You should be paid for running late due to circumstances out of your control, not because you're so f**kinn broke that you need extra pennies at the end of your shift. Literally I saw a SIM1/SIM7 bus get out the HOV lane in Brooklyn towards Manhattan, just to get on at the split on the Gowanus by 55st. Then over the hill down to the tunnel a SIM2 passed us by using the ramp merger from the Prospect because we were going that slow. I do not feel safe on buses with drivers like this. Slow does not mean safe, slow makes you complacent and less responsive AND if you're driving that slow you're probably scared or have PTSD from something and you should not be behind the wheel. Reported! f**kinn disgrace. 

Good luck with that. Something I found VERY strange the other day was a driver telling me how he can't get to Manhattan too early. We had no traffic and the people on the bus wanted stops towards the end of the line so we moved quickly. I always thought once the pick-up segment is done, that's it, you just go. Makes no sense to me. If dispatch is behind it, why in the world would they penalize express bus drivers if they finish the pick-up segment on-time, but finish the trip early? 

I just asked a driver I know. Blame the (MTA) . Even though it's the drop-off segment, some guys are being called up by dispatch and told to wait and check their paddles. That is incredibly stupid. I am going to look into this for you. I see no reason why any driver should have to hold at any time point that is along the drop-off segment, and drive slowly after the pick-up segment has been done.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Good luck with that. Something I found VERY strange the other day was a driver telling me how he can't get to Manhattan too early. We had no traffic and the people on the bus wanted stops towards the end of the line so we moved quickly. I always thought once the pick-up segment is done, that's it, you just go. Makes no sense to me. If dispatch is behind it, why in the world would they penalize express bus drivers if they finish the pick-up segment on-time, but finish the trip early? 

What I would suspect is some drivers were running too early previously for the pick-up segment (especially on Staten Island - it's been a problem on some lines), and they are cracking down.

Some bus drivers are so by the books (and by books that are so poorly written and not written with common sense). For drivers that USE common sense, one should note stay on time during the pickup section, and once you drop off all of your passengers the route is completed. DUH! Thank god there are still drivers out there that are smart and do their jobs correctly. I really wish I could tip them because they really use common sense which is extremely important when driving a bus in NYC. It's unfair how some of these drivers go above and beyond for passengers, but they get the same pay as the money hungry ignorant ones that only care about themselves.

I've learned over the years that this is a job that you can literally SUCK at, and you'll still get praised just because you did the BARE MINIMUM. Something needs to be done. 

2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Some bus drivers are so by the books (and by books that are so poorly written and not written with common sense). For drivers that USE common sense, one should note stay on time during the pickup section, and once you drop off all of your passengers the route is completed. DUH! Thank god there are still drivers out there that are smart and do their jobs correctly. I really wish I could tip them because they really use common sense which is extremely important when driving a bus in NYC. It's unfair how some of these drivers go above and beyond for passengers, but they get the same pay as the money hungry ignorant ones that only care about themselves.

I've learned over the years that this is a job that you can literally SUCK at, and you'll still get praised just because you did the BARE MINIMUM. Something needs to be done. 

Most of the drivers out here are great. I suspect some have been burned though, and so they figure they have to go by the books. Technically, that is what the (MTA) wants... They want drivers adhering to the schedules the entire time (even in the drop-off segment, though they usually don't always radio drivers to do that). It really depends on dispatch, and if you get a guy who wants to be a hard ass. I have met some of the dispatchers on Staten Island either at (MTA) meetings or other events, and most are pretty cool and try hard to provide good service.

The only thing that I know that the union is still supporting on Staten Island is the passenger limit, despite the (MTA) not having one. Some drivers are deciding not to pick up past a certain amount of passengers to avoid overcrowding, so some people are pissed because they are being left behind. Other than that, if there's an issue with crackdowns on drivers to adhere to their paddles during the drop-off segment on Staten Island, that is news to me. What I can tell you is some trips are being held back because the schedules are so poorly written that the guys have wayyy too much time for the pick-up segment. We tried to get them revised before the next pick, but no dice. Supposedly, the (MTA) doesn't want to change the runtimes for now with everything going on, but we'll keep at it if it remains a big problem. We went directly to the top for that and I heard from my contact about it a few days later.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm reporting every bus driver that does 20-25mph in the HOV lane...its disrespectful to passengers & people BEHIND that's trying to get somewhere.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Something I found VERY strange the other day was a driver telling me how he can't get to Manhattan too early.

That must be a new policy. Every time I’d take an express bus (haven’t taken one so far this year) once the pickup segments were done the buses I was on (evenly divided between Yonkers and Eastchester routes) didn’t sit at the drop off stops, didn’t way it for green lights to turn red, and went within 5mph of the speed limit (45-50 on the highway, 20-25 off the highway)

11 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

That must be a new policy. Every time I’d take an express bus (haven’t taken one so far this year) once the pickup segments were done the buses I was on (evenly divided between Yonkers and Eastchester routes) didn’t sit at the drop off stops, didn’t way it for green lights to turn red, and went within 5mph of the speed limit (45-50 on the highway, 20-25 off the highway)

It's not new. Actually the driver I asked a little while ago had that happen to him on the BxM4. Called him up during the drop-off segment and told him to hold there and follow his paddle. Passengers were pissed. It just doesn't happen often, and thank God for that.He's a good guy and will only hold if he is called up. 

Remember that other guy? The Hat? He would stop at green lights. I took him once to Woodlawn years ago. Never again. I had to be in Westchester for something and was late. Person picking me up had to wait almost 30 mins.

16 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

update: i jinxed myself and turns out I have to go into the city to certify an official document.

I’ll let you know what my BxM4 does... the pickup portion went well tho.

I honestly have never had a driver sit at any drop-off stop in all of the years I've taken the express bus. I do know for sure that they are cracking down on doing the pick-up early. Dispatch for the Bronx is very strict for Eastchester and Yonkers. If they call during the drop-off segment that's not the norm.

Do note that every borough is different in how things are run. For example, College Point, the express buses are often quite early for the pick-up, and they don't wait and dispatch doesn't call them either.

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I honestly have never had a driver sit at any drop-off stop in all of the years I've taken the express bus. I do know for sure that they are cracking down on doing the pick-up early. Dispatch for the Bronx is very strict for Eastchester and Yonkers. If they call during the drop-off segment that's not the norm.

Do note that every borough is different in how things are run. For example, College Point, the express buses are often quite early for the pick-up, and they don't wait and dispatch doesn't call them either.

I literally I don't get how hard it is to adhere to the paddles for the pick up section, and when you past the last pick-up stop, literally go ahead and finish your trip safely and efficiently for all, if no more passengers are getting on (by route design) what are they waiting for? With how cheap the MTA is idk why they aren't allowing drivers to turn around AFTER they drop off the last passengers (you'd save mileage AND gas), AND buses will be able to return to the depot FASTER so the next drivers can pick up a bus. And it's funny because passengers kept looking up over the seats as to why we were driving so slow, just to see nothing in front of us. It's always the Meredith drivers too (SIM15), which is very weird because they only drive express. Yukon drivers are hands down the best drivers on the island, and I purposely take their routes when possible because I know 90% of their drivers move their buses (only reason why I took the SIM15 is because the SIM1 was behind AND had 23 people on board). To see the SIM1 then pass us on the bridge, and arrive in Manhattan while we were only going over the hill down to the tunnel is what really pissed me off.  

Don't states have a minimum highway speed? Why are drivers allowed to drive so slow on highways? 20-25mph is NOT safe. And idk why the HOV lane is 35mph when the damnn tunnel is 45!! That narrow counter-flow HLC tunnel is 45mph, but a wider and private HOV lane is 10mph slower...NYCDOT logic🥴

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I literally I don't get how hard it is to adhere to the paddles for the pick up section, and when you past the last pick-up stop, literally go ahead and finish your trip safely and efficiently for all, if no more passengers are getting on (by route design) what are they waiting for? With how cheap the MTA is idk why they aren't allowing drivers to turn around AFTER they drop off the last passengers (you'd save mileage AND gas), AND buses will be able to return to the depot FASTER so the next drivers can pick up a bus. And it's funny because passengers kept looking up over the seats as to why we were driving so slow, just to see nothing in front of us. It's always the Meredith drivers too (SIM15), which is very weird because they only drive express. Yukon drivers are hands down the best drivers on the island, and I purposely take their routes when possible because I know 90% of their drivers move their buses.  

Don't states have a minimum highway speed? Why are drivers allowed to drive so slow on highways? 20-25mph is NOT safe. And idk why the HOV lane is 35mph when the damnn tunnel is 45!! That narrow counter-flow HLC tunnel is 45mph, but a wider and private HOV lane is 10mph slower...NYCDOT logic🥴

It is much harder than you may realize. The paddles were last changed pre-COVID when there was a lot more traffic, so now with less traffic, these buses don't need the amount of time they have. That is not the drivers' fault, and that is why we tried to get them changed. The driver can either start late or start on-time and drag the line. No win situation for the driver, as the passengers will complain either way.

A good chunk of the Meredith drivers came over from Castleton. When I lived on the island, it was funny because when I would take a bus out of Meredith, I would often times recognize the driver from when they drove out of Castleton.

The other thing is it depends on how the driver was trained. Again, if they were going by the book, they are told to take their time and drive under the speed limit. That is how they are trained. The drivers moving are taking a risk doing so because if they get in an accident, the first thing that will be said is well you shouldn't have been going that fast. I think it's BS, but that's how the (MTA) works. There was an older driver I used to get like this. It was extremely frustrating. He was not new, but he operated by the book. It was painful, and I would try to avoid getting him.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It is much harder than you may realize. The paddles were last changed pre-COVID when there was a lot more traffic, so now with less traffic, these buses don't need the amount of time they have. That is not the drivers' fault, and that is why we tried to get them changed. The driver can either start late or start on-time and drag the line. No win situation for the driver, as the passengers will complain either way.

A good chunk of the Meredith drivers came over from Castleton. When I lived on the island, it was funny because when I would take a bus out of Meredith, I would often times recognize the driver from when they drove out of Castleton.

The other thing is it depends on how the driver was trained. Again, if they were going by the book, they are told to take their time and drive under the speed limit. That is how they are trained. The drivers moving are taking a risk doing so because if they get in an accident, the first thing that will be said is well you shouldn't have been going that fast. I think it's BS, but that's how the (MTA) works. There was an older driver I used to get like this. It was extremely frustrating. He was not new, but he operated by the book. It was painful, and I would try to avoid getting him.

All of these reasons are why passenger distributions are off. Certain routes/drivers perform better so people flock to the better routes/drivers. Nobody wants a slow complacent driver, or snail prone route, but then again nobody wants to crowd onto a crowded bus. At this point I'd just crowd, especially if I know its a driver that moves. I just wish there was consistency. That's one of the reasons why I'm so pro-CBTC in the subways because you know your ride will be the same each time.

You would think they'd change the paddles to adhere to COVID levels...how many picks were there after the pandemic started? FIVE? And we still have pre-pandemic schedules? Do you know why they are being so stubborn to adjusting the paddles? I have no issue with drivers cruising along the pickup portion, I respect it and obviously you shouldn't be running more than 5mins early. My main issue dragging along in the HOV lane...why hold up all those buses and traffic...at least do the speed limit..

And someone needs to talk to DOT about the HOV lane speed limits...35mph doesn't make any sense when you have the narrow HLC counter-flow tunnel at 45mph, but a private and wider HOV lane 10mph lower...the HOV should be 45mph between the Verrazano/60st, and 50mph on the Gowanus/over the hill down to the tunnel, in which the tunnel will reduce it to 45mph.