BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They seem to have gotten much more accurate recently...when I've been on the Q46 and the X63/4/8 with them, it's been accurate to within 1 person (and maybe it counts the B/O if they go out to adjust a mirror or whatnot)

Yes, it's much more accurate. They said they would be tweaking it overtime.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the biggest improvements of modern day buses is putting the HAVC in the ceiling of the bus. The HAVC in the rear can be really loud making for an unpleasant ride.

In terms of the current fleet the NGs are really bad in this regard. They weren't like this when they was new but now? The HAVC on those buses is deafening. I try to avoid sitting in the back on those buses for this very reason.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

1560 is currently in service this morning. If any transit photographer is outside this early morning. It’s on the SIM 15 heading into Manhattan from Eltingville. 

Crazy I didn't even realize the bus was running and I was on the SIM15 before it. I didn't realize until we were already on the Gowanus. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Crazy I didn't even realize the bus was running and I was on the SIM15 before it. I didn't realize until we were already on the Gowanus. 

You have another opportunity to catch 1560 in service this afternoon.  1557 is on the SIM30. Hopefully, 1558 hits service soon. 

23 hours ago, 7-express said:
22 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Definitely not surprised. The MTA always shitting on Brooklyn Division when it comes to adding additional services and etc. 

Who's really believing that it's solely for overtime that this practice is happening with though....

Edited by B35 via Church

I haven't used OMNY yet since I always use an unlimited express bus metrocard so I haven't seen the screen in use up close...if you are using a transfer or whatnot, does it say so on the screen? Or it's just a "Go" screen? Meaning, do you see any info like you do on tje farebox display?

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I haven't used OMNY yet since I always use an unlimited express bus metrocard so I haven't seen the screen in use up close...if you are using a transfer or whatnot, does it say so on the screen? Or it's just a "Go" screen? Meaning, do you see any info like you do on tje farebox display?

It just says go even if you use a transfer.

43 minutes ago, 7113 said:

I have a question about bus operators making ada announcements on buses without the automated system.

Do they have to make ada announcements at every stop? If so, that is a lot of stops to memorize!

To my knowledge, drivers are supposed to make announcements. Some do and some don't.

9 hours ago, 7113 said:

I have a question about bus operators making ada announcements on buses without the automated system.

Do they have to make ada announcements at every stop? If so, that is a lot of stops to memorize!

The paddles reports have the ada announcement not every stop needs to be announced 

10 hours ago, 7113 said:

personally, i announce every stop on a run (if i know them)

if i don't know all stops, then i only announce major intersections/transfer points (which is the actual requirement)

some b/o's get funky with it, announcing other points of interest, schools, museums, hospitals, etc (which, at times, is my personal preference... it helps pass the time) when i worked the b82, I'd announce south shore h.s., glenwood houses, Madison h.s, bildersee jhs, ny community hospital (on kings highway) and so on. it seems like alot, yet when you do the same run or line months on end (depending on what you pick) it becomes habit. 

52 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

if i don't know all stops, then i only announce major intersections/transfer points (which is the actual requirement)

some b/o's get funky with it, announcing other points of interest, schools, museums, hospitals, etc (which, at times, is my personal preference... it helps pass the time) when i worked the b82, I'd announce south shore h.s., glenwood houses, Madison h.s, bildersee jhs, ny community hospital (on kings highway) and so on. it seems like alot, yet when you do the same run or line months on end (depending on what you pick) it becomes habit. 

This is Ocean Av (& Kings Highway)... Transfer to the BM3, B49, B7... lol Years ago when I lived in Midwood, I'd do shopping along Kings Highway. Fun times.

P.S. I've heard conflicting info. Supposedly, all stops should be announced, not just the major ones.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

54 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Yeah, having to memorize all 99 stops of a certain route seems like a nightmare, and announcing major intersections seems reasonable to me. I wish the (MTA) would hurry up and install automated announcements on all of the remaining buses that don't have them.

14 hours ago, 7113 said:

Not every stop but major transfer points and any requested stops by customers.

Technically under the current law every stop would have to be mentioned for total compliance, but with all the stops our lines have it would be impractical. Another reason for the automated announcements.

5 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Not every stop but major transfer points and any requested stops by customers.

Technically under the current law every stop would have to be mentioned for total compliance, but with all the stops our lines have it would be impractical. Another reason for the automated announcements.

The sheer number of routes and service patterns across all routes do nothing to help the situation.

Here's hoping the automated announcements make it to all buses sooner rather than later.

Then it's really a question of if passengers complain... That explains why a lady was complaining years ago on a bus I was on. I didn't think anything of it, but she made such a scene. Think she missed her stop. Could've been disabled.... Before she got off, she was yelling at the driver about how she's supposed to announce all stops, and then I heard this again. I forget when. Never cared too much either way, but I have noticed that some make all announcements, none or what they deem major stops. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

48 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Finally caught one of the new Prevost on the QM4. Sadly I was the only one on the bus besides the driver but it was a good ride. What surprised me is the fact that the seats on the new Prevost has seat belts. Never thought I’d see seatbelts on a transit bus. 

Sadly?

19 hours ago, 7113 said:

Yeah, having to memorize all 99 stops of a certain route seems like a nightmare, and announcing major intersections seems reasonable to me. I wish the (MTA) would hurry up and install automated announcements on all of the remaining buses that don't have them.

technically, it's not about memory. stops are listed on paddles. also, the lollipop bus stops help when the cross street is displayed

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Finally caught one of the new Prevost on the QM4. Sadly I was the only one on the bus besides the driver but it was a good ride. What surprised me is the fact that the seats on the new Prevost has seat belts. Never thought I’d see seatbelts on a transit bus. 

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Sadly?

Right?

I was the only one on a BxM1 a couple times last year and I loved it, especially the ride into Midtown.

Anytime the B/O's ask "where you going?" and you have a light bus, odds are you're in for a treat.

Edited by paulrivera