BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

They didn't, everyone knew it was gonna be retired soon based off the last few retirements so everyone tried to get their last few pictures/videos of it before it would be retired. It just happened to have a very nice and accommodating operator as well. :)

People know where the operators usually layover too (particularly along that stretch down FDR). There's also trackers online that can track the actual vehicle if it's on a route (pulled from MTA BusTime).

That's right. It was posted here before. What's the name of that tracker?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What you're speaking of isn't an official scenario.... On the Brownsville end of the route, the official last dropoff stop is still at Hegeman/Mother Gaston...

To answer your question though, how the b/o's that make that last EB dropoff stop on New Lots at Mother Gaston go about turning around, is by simply continuing EB on New Lots av, to hang a left on Christopher, a left on Lott, a left on Mother Gaston, a right back on New Lots av, to proceed WB towards the first pickup stop at Hegeman/Watkins in front the daycare center....

* You also have some b/o's that avert making that left turn off Mother Gaston to New Lots av. (after having made the last dropoff stop at Hegeman/Mother Gaston) by continuing NB on Mother Gaston to Lott, and then hanging a right onto Lott, a right onto Sackman, a right onto New Lots av., to proceed WB towards the first pickup stop at Hegeman/Watkins....

He's definitely correct.

And yes, I've also made the last stop at New Lots (we actually aren't supposed to even layover there because of the B15) and made the turnaround using Lott. It's amazing how well those artics handle those backstreets.

40 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

He's definitely correct.

And yes, I've also made the last stop at New Lots (we actually aren't supposed to even layover there because of the B15) and made the turnaround using Lott. It's amazing how well those artics handle those backstreets.

So every EB B35 makes their last dropoffs at that B15 stop in question? Since when?

On 4/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, danielhg121 said:

So #2910 will most likely be making a final trip on the QM6 (10:30 PM) to North Shore Towers and it's unlikely that it'll see service again. The last MTA-operated D4500 with the green flipdot signs and Detroit Diesel engine. Apparently, the operator had to practically beg to pull it out for the afternoon run. I'm sure VG8 will be happy about this haha. 

Well I guess that wasn't its final trip... it's currently in service and running on the QM1 into the city as we speak 🤣

…And 2910 is still kicking. Heh. The thing has a hole near the rear, weird how depot supervision told the operator it was gonna be pulled and now it's back out. lol 

From what ik, 2910 will be retired once 4 new Prevosts will be delivered to College Point.

3 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

This is why I was going to put a post on here yesterday asking if anyone knew if this unit was confirmed as legitimately retired or not as the wording of the previous posts only suggested it was heading to scrap, not confirming it was. There's been quite a few situations in the past with one or two units left of a retiring series that sticks around for a while longer. (174 & 180, 6333 & 6025, 9849, 6432, 6600 etc)

I knew I should have asked but waited to see if anyone was going to confirm, my gut feeling pushing me. Would have been out there this morning lol. 

If you want to chase it, it's out right now doing the same run as Friday. Outbound on the QM8 (5:35-7:28), then he'll do the inbound QM6 (8:30-9:40) and finishing off with the 10:30 QM6 outbound trip. 

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So every EB B35 makes their last dropoffs at that B15 stop in question? Since when?

update on this... or whatever you wanna call it....

Just came from off the (L) not too long ago & walked over to catch a B35.... I won't give bus numbers (I do have them jotted down), but this all happened b/w 5:38-5:47pm.... I went in, expecting to see most, if not every bus dropping folks off at the EB New Lots/Mother Gaston stop (which is in-fact now a shared stop, in terms of what's shown on the bus stop pole)...

Didn't happen.

Out of the 4 arriving EB buses on that end of the route between the aforementioned timeframe, a grand total of none of them stopped at that New Lots/Mother Gaston stop... Oh well....

• 1st arriving bus I saw, came in on Hegeman, and did (what I suppose is now) the old turnaround scenario - that is, left on Mother Gaston & left onto New Lots... Took a brief 3 min. layover in from the daycare, then off he went.
  • 2nd arriving bus came in on Hegeman, continued to Mother Gaston, but made a right on Mother Gaston.... That means OOS.
  • 3rd arriving bus stopped dead (as in, took the layover) on the hatch stripe - in the middle of the area where Hegeman & New Lots diverge)
  • 4th arriving bus came in on Hegeman, but stopped dead on the right-most lane at the far corner of Hegeman/Watkins

When I'm out & about from here on out, I'm going to take a mental note of the rate of incoming EB B35's stopping at the (now shared) New Lots/Mother Gaston with the B15.... For as frequent as the B35 is, I don't see this move being a viable one....

10 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Well I guess that wasn't its final trip... it's currently in service and running on the QM1 into the city as we speak 🤣

ndAhdJT.jpg

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

If you want to chase it, it's out right now doing the same run as Friday. Outbound on the QM8 (5:35-7:28), then he'll do the inbound QM6 (8:30-9:40) and finishing off with the 10:30 QM6 outbound trip. 

So the B/O gets about 1 hour layover time between runs? Not bad...I wish I had breaks that long at my job lol

15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

So the B/O gets about 1 hour layover time between runs? Not bad...I wish I had breaks that long at my job lol

Yea, he gets around 50 mins of layover time after every trip. In fact, on that inbound QM6 trip, he sometimes doesn't pick anyone up so he gets even more layover time because there isn't any drop-off loop to do.

44 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Yea, he gets around 50 mins of layover time after every trip. In fact, on that inbound QM6 trip, he sometimes doesn't pick anyone up so he gets even more layover time because there isn't any drop-off loop to do.

He gets 50 mins layover time if he dont have to do any drop-off you get 20 min to go from the last stop back to your first stop 

27 minutes ago, Santana04 said:

He gets 50 mins layover time if he dont have to do any drop-off you get 20 min to go from the last stop back to your first stop 

Going off the schedule, if the operator goes all the way to 57th Street, then it's actually less (since the B/O has to go back down to 36th Street). However if no one is left past 36th Street, then that's 1 hour of layover (approximately). 

22 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

No, I was referring to your comment. We're technically supposed to use the Hegeman stop and turn around right there.

Edited by SoSpectacular

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

No, I was referring to your comment. We're technically supposed to use the Hegeman stop and turn around right there.

You framed it like you were saying @SubBus was definitely correct, hence my reaction.

In that case, if you guys are technically supposed to use the Hegeman stop, then the DOT needs to put that bus stop back (on Hegeman/Mother Gaston), since construction is done on that apartment bldg....

Now this makes me question why they have the B35 as stopping with the B15 on New Lots/Mother Gaston.... Even when said construction was going on, buses weren't (primarily) stopping there...

What were these things used for? I vaguely remember seeing them on NYCT buses (and never any BusCo buses), and they were removed from almost all of the fleet (ik 2910 has one still).

Anything that NYCT had that was built before the Orion VII Gen 2+ seems to have had these installed.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/materiel/collectsales/pdfs/mc12072.pdf

5 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

What were these things used for? I vaguely remember seeing them on NYCT buses (and never any BusCo buses), and they were removed from almost all of the fleet (ik 2910 has one still).

Anything that NYCT had that was built before the Orion VII Gen 2+ seems to have had these installed.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/materiel/collectsales/pdfs/mc12072.pdf

Used to tell any inspectors on the bus if the person paid the fare. They were removed after one of them fell on a passenger.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

It appears that 2589 is doing a local trip.. It's on the S55 to Staten Island Mall.  Is there an interline between the S55 and any of the express buses near the mall.

Well it's on the SIM5 now, on Hylan Boulevard in the Oakwood Heights area, so perhaps it may have been a SIM5 run. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven