BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

I’m probably never going to be one of those people who like bike lanes but it’s getting out of hand. There are some streets that are getting bike lanes that do not need them. Like the side streets that lead to Union Tpke by St. John’s. I have never seen anyone use them and they don’t lead anywhere significant. They just lead from one of the campus gates. 

And this is just a personal view of things, but I have always been against the bikes lanes on Queens Blvd since I think of lit like it’s a highway. You wouldn’t put bike lanes on the Horace Harding Expwy would you? Queens Blvd effectively fits that role with the service road and main road.

Yeah, those random bike lanes by St. John's are so stupid. They just narrow the street and don't actually connect with anything

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The only reason why people support vision zero is because they hate car culture and want to get rid of it for good. They'd rather convert everything to bike lanes and screw everyone else, because that's their mentality. 

And that's another thing, wasting money on bike lanes. We could be using that money to rebuild horrible roads and build more bus lanes, because in the 5 years I've been driving in NYC, I have seen only some people use them.

"Democracy is bad because people vote for things I don't like!"

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

Here I was hoping that when I get my stimmy and buy my hybrid bike, Flushing Meadows would be my first destination on it.

But if you’d rather Manhattan over Queens, I may rethink that first ride

The problem with biking in Queens is that while there are plenty of quiet inner residential streets where you could bike fine, there isn't a great network of them.

For example, there is pretty much no safe way to cross the Cross Island Parkway on a bicycle.

There's also the matter of where to park a bike. I don't even think I've seen a bike rack in Downtown Flushing, for example.

I’ve realized that a bunch of bus lines run better on the weekend, than they do on weekdays. Could it be dispatching, traffic, or actual service frequencies, honestly, I don’t know (well in the M104s case, I do).

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What about the M104?

The M104 is one of the routes I’ve seen have a boost in service during the weekends, probably because of the possibility of subway shut downs.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

With new local buses being delivered, are the single seats that's close to the bus operator no longer being installed or still blocked off until a date is given (Nova that is)?

I don't believe the single seats in the front were added on these new Novabus units.

29 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I mean, in the olden days, the only artic routes you'd ever seen standards on were the Bx15 and Bx36. All the Manhattan routes and the Bronx mainlines were pretty much consistently 60-footers. 

I also notice that the Bx39 is consistently a mix of standards and Artics, still can’t get used to C40LFs on the Bx39

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is the B35 not suppose to be a full articulated route? I saw 2 C40LF's in service on the B35 last week.

What’s your concern? Do you realize that buses go through wear and tear? It doesn’t matter if the line is fully articulated. If there’s not enough artics obviously the depot is going to send out what it has and in this case is C40LF’s. Before the line was articulated that’s what you saw. 

57 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

What’s your concern? Do you realize that buses go through wear and tear? It doesn’t matter if the line is fully articulated. If there’s not enough artics obviously the depot is going to send out what it has and in this case is C40LF’s. Before the line was articulated that’s what you saw. 

Wasn't a concern it was an observation, sheesh...

6 hours ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

So question, how many buses does Nova normally produce a day? And how long does it take for them to be prepped for delivery? There’s already like 98 buses up there in Plattsburgh, why is it taking so long to send them down?

Nova has to send the buses to a subcontractor to do the blue and yellow paint. I'll bet that most of those 98 buses are still in their white base layer.