BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Nova has to send the buses to a subcontractor to do the blue and yellow paint. I'll bet that most of those 98 buses are still in their white base layer.

Just another reason they should've stuck with white-body, blue-stripe scheme IMHO- less hassle.

Edited by R10 2952

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Nova has to send the buses to a subcontractor to do the blue and yellow paint. I'll bet that most of those 98 buses are still in their white base layer.

Ah okay, that makes sense. They probably won’t be prepped for delivery for a few days or so

12 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Just another reason they should've stuck with white-body, blue-stripe scheme IMHO- less hassle.

Maybe whenever Cuomo leaves office the MTA will spin the return to the white and blue paint job as “cost savings” or “cost neutral” or whatever their jargon is.

At least whatever’s already white and blue at this point is grandfathered into that scheme and won’t be Excelsior’ed.

Edited by paulrivera

28 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Maybe whenever Cuomo leaves office the MTA will spin the return to the white and blue paint job as “cost savings” or “cost neutral” or whatever their jargon is.

At least whatever’s already white and blue at this point is grandfathered into that scheme and won’t be Excelsior’ed.

My question how long do these paint jobs last? Seems if the buses look cleaner with this new scheme, so it may not be so bad. With the white scheme, dirt shows up very easily.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My question how long do these paint jobs last? Seems if the buses look cleaner with this new scheme, so it may not be so bad. With the white scheme, dirt shows up very easily.

Darker colors like blue hide dust better than white. It also helps that the stripes are a wrap that can easily be reapplied onto the base when needed.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:02 PM, Lawrence St said:

Is the B35 not suppose to be a full articulated route? I saw 2 C40LF's in service on the B35 last week.

It is, but there's not always enough artics to go out, especially when a good number are OOS for routine maintenance. Not uncommon. It is something that's supposed to be brought up to the union when it does happen (primarily a busier time a day)... 

On 5/15/2021 at 12:06 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Happens to a lot of artic routes. Out here in Queens it happens quite often on the Q10 and Q12. 

And to the B1, Brooklyn. Usually around 3 PM when it's dismissal hour, there will be at least 1 or another 40 footer Xcelsior on the route. 

Edited by Calvin

Yesterday, almost all Q32 overnight service was eliminated: 

Delays  Posted:  05/15/2021 11:56 PM

The following Q32 trips will not run tonight:

Eastbound: 1:20AM, 1:40AM, 2:00AM, 2:20AM, 3:00AM, 3:20AM, 3:40AM, 4:00AM and 5:00AM
Westbound: 1:10AM, 1:25AM, 2:05 AM, 2:25AM, 2:45AM, 3:05AM, 4:05AM, 4:25AM and 4:45AM

We are running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available. Check for updates before traveling.

Tonight, almost all B11 will be suspended:

Delays  Posted:  05/16/2021 12:04 AM

The following B11 trips will not run tonight:

Eastbound: 1:20AM, 1:40AM, 2:40AM, 3:00AM, 4:00AM and 4:20AM
Westbound: 2:00AM, 2:20AM, 3:20AM, 3:40AM, 4:40AM and 5:00AM

We are running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available. Check for updates before traveling.

1 hour ago, Kriston Lewis said:

Here’s our answer.

The way I interpreted that was that enhanced overnight service would be kept for now, not that the Q32 and Q60 would keep the service they have permanently.  Anyways, even if they keep it in the long run, I would expect the number of trips that don't operate to go up. 

I seriously hope they keep the Bx99 and actually expand the hours of service, similar to MUNI's Early Bird bus. Even though I love the (4), crime in the subway has gotten to the point where I no longer feel safe riding it off hours. These are the modifications I'd make to the route:

Service Span expanded to operate from 9:30 PM to 6:30 AM.

15 minute frequency between 9:30 PM to 11:30 PM, 5:30 AM to 6:30 AM, other times every 30 minutes.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

I seriously hope they keep the Bx99 and actually expand the hours of service, similar to MUNI's Early Bird bus. Even though I love the (4), crime in the subway has gotten to the point where I no longer feel safe riding it off hours. These are the modifications I'd make to the route:

15 minute frequency between 9:30 PM to 11:30 PM, 5:30 AM to 6:30 AM, other times every 30 minutes.

I wouldn’t count on having increased frequencies with the increasing cases of cancelled late night trips on many bus routes as of late. If anything, the reopening of late night subway service is really giving the MTA the excuse to cut the 99’s altogether.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, well good luck with that one, considering:

20 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yesterday, almost all Q32 overnight service was eliminated: 

Delays  Posted:  05/15/2021 11:56 PM

The following Q32 trips will not run tonight:

Eastbound: 1:20AM, 1:40AM, 2:00AM, 2:20AM, 3:00AM, 3:20AM, 3:40AM, 4:00AM and 5:00AM
Westbound: 1:10AM, 1:25AM, 2:05 AM, 2:25AM, 2:45AM, 3:05AM, 4:05AM, 4:25AM and 4:45AM

Tonight, almost all B11 will be suspended:

Delays  Posted:  05/16/2021 12:04 AM

The following B11 trips will not run tonight:

Eastbound: 1:20AM, 1:40AM, 2:40AM, 3:00AM, 4:00AM and 4:20AM
Westbound: 2:00AM, 2:20AM, 3:20AM, 3:40AM, 4:40AM and 5:00AM

24 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, well good luck with that one, considering:

Is the Q32 and B11 regular overnight service or what? They always post so many cancelled Q32 trips. Every single night. It's ridiculous. If their goal is to kill off ridership, they're doing a hell of a job.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I'd rather they set up a nighttime SBS scheme replicating subway lines and stops instead of a '99 "Let's try and be in the middle of everyone and service two lines".

Example:

(1)-Bus: South Ferry to VC Park via 7/8Av and Broadway - all (1) stops

(2)-Bus:

· Bk segment: Flatbush to City Hall via Nostrand Av, Eastern Pkwy, Flatbush Av, Livingston St, Boerum Pl/Bk Bridge Bl - timed transfer to Manhattan Segment

· MNH segment: City Hall to 149/3rd Av via Chambers, Hudson St/8 Av & Varick St/7 Av, Broadway, 110 St, Lenox Av, 145 St Bridge, 149 St. (2)Express Stops only

· Bx Segment: 149/3rd Av to Wakefield via Westchester Av, Southern Blvd, Boston Rd, East Tremont Av, Morris Park Av, White Plains Rd. (5)-Bus Shuttle replicates it between 149/GC and Morris Park/White Plains making Express Stops both directions

(4)-Bus:

· Bk Segment: New Lots Av to City Hall via Livonia Av, 98 St, Ralph Av, Eastern Pkwy, Flatbush Av, Livingston St, Boerum Pl/Bk Bridge Bl - timed Transfer to Manhattan/Bronx Segment; (4) Express Stops only

· MNH/Bx Segment: South Ferry/Bowling Green to Woodlawn via: State St, Broadway/Trinity Pl, Vesey St, Park Row, Lafayette/Centre St, Broadway/Lafayette St (Spring St downtown-bound), Broadway/4th Av, Park Av, 38/39 St, Lexington/3rd Av, 3rd Av/Willis Av Bridges, 138 St, Grand Concourse, 149 St, River Av, Jerome Av; (4) Express Stops in Manhattan

(6)-Bus: City Hall to Pelham Bay Park via same route as (4) MNH-Bx to 138 St/Concourse, then 138 St, Jackson Av, 142 St, Southern Bl, Westchester Av, Wilkinson Av, Bruckner Bl for turnaround loop. (6) Local Stops

I'd do the others but you get the idea. And to make it worth it, Flat fee fare of $4 or $5 and unlimited rides - like Dublin, Ireland's Night bus.

Since the network did survive somewhat during the Pandemic, we have a blueprint for BUStitution to speed up CBTC installs and/or FasTrack reconstruction.

Edited by Deucey
Fixed stuff

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

I'd rather they set up a nighttime SBS scheme replicating subway lines and stops instead of a '99 "Let's try and be in the middle of everyone and service two lines".

Example:

(1)-Bus: South Ferry to VC Park via 7/8Av and Broadway - all (1) stops

(2)-Bus:

· Bk segment: Flatbush to City Hall via Nostrand Av, Eastern Pkwy, Flatbush Av, Livingston St, Boerum Pl/Bk Bridge Bl - timed transfer to Manhattan Segment

· MNH segment: City Hall to 149/3rd Av via Chambers, Hudson St/8 Av & Varick St/7 Av, Broadway, 110 St, Lenox Av, 145 St Bridge, 149 St. (2)Express Stops only

· Bx Segment: 149/3rd Av to Wakefield via Westchester Av, Southern Blvd, Boston Rd, East Tremont Av, Morris Park Av, White Plains Rd. (5)-Bus Shuttle replicates it between 149/GC and Morris Park/White Plains making Express Stops both directions

(4)-Bus:

· Bk Segment: New Lots Av to City Hall via Livonia Av, 98 St, Ralph Av, Eastern Pkwy, Flatbush Av, Livingston St, Boerum Pl/Bk Bridge Bl - timed Transfer to Manhattan/Bronx Segment; (4) Express Stops only

· MNH/Bx Segment: South Ferry/Bowling Green to Woodlawn via: State St, Broadway/Trinity Pl, Vesey St, Park Row, Lafayette/Centre St, Broadway/Lafayette St (Spring St downtown-bound), Broadway/4th Av, Park Av, 38/39 St, Lexington/3rd Av, 3rd Av/Willis Av Bridges, 138 St, Grand Concourse, 149 St, River Av, Jerome Av; (4) Express Stops in Manhattan

(6)-Bus: 3 Av/138 St to Pelham Bay Park via 138 St, Jackson Av, 142 St, Southern Bl, Westchester Av, Wilkinson Av, Bruckner Bl for turnaround loop.

I'd do the others but you get the idea. And to make it worth it, Flat fee fare of $4 or $5 and unlimited rides - like Dublin, Ireland's Night bus.

Since the network did survive somewhat during the Pandemic, we have a blueprint for BUStitution to speed up CBTC installs and/or FasTrack reconstruction.

The overnight lines were created based off of ridership patterns overnight when the pandemic started. They looked at the free cab program they created earlier on, then combined that with other data.

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I wouldn’t count on having increased frequencies with the increasing cases of cancelled late night trips on many bus routes as of late. If anything, the reopening of late night subway service is really giving the MTA the excuse to cut the 99’s altogether.

They plan on running all of the overnight service they have for now until further notice, even once the subway resumes, but yes, with all of the cancelled trips, it makes some lines almost non-existent.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The overnight lines were created based off of ridership patterns overnight when the pandemic started. They looked at the free cab program they created earlier on, then combined that with other data.

But now it's a "Night Bus" proposal if we need to shut a line down to accelerate a MTACC or MOW project.

I also edited the entry for (6)

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

But now it's a "Night Bus" proposal if we need to shut a line down to accelerate a MTACC or MOW project.

I also edited the entry for (6)

I didn't get into your proposal. Just noted how they came up with it since you want the routes changed I gather. I have a hard time seeing the (MTA) want to continue with any real overnight service long-term. They did their damnest to stop running many local routes overnight years ago, likely to cut operating costs and push people to use the subway. That in turn really pushed more people into cars.

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Is the Q32 and B11 regular overnight service or what? They always post so many cancelled Q32 trips. Every single night. It's ridiculous. If their goal is to kill off ridership, they're doing a hell of a job.

From what I've heard (I'll defer to the ops on here), if you have any kind of temperature they won't let you do your route out of an abundance of caution and that's why there's so many missing trips.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

From what I've heard (I'll defer to the ops on here), if you have any kind of temperature they won't let you do your route out of an abundance of caution and that's why there's so many missing trips.

They do send people home if your temperature is elevated, and we're still required to quarantine if we come into contact with any infected people.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That comment was made by a dispatcher in my group as well. I guess you can call them flare ups or something that vary from day to day depending on the line.

Holy NYCTF update...looks interesting on mobile...they need a gray/dark mode now.

Anyways, the new Prevost are gonna be called the COVID buses imo because them shits were rushed. They either didn't have enough workers and had to meet a timeline, or not enough quality control or something. I rode 1560, 1562, 1565, 1566, and 1575. 1565 and 1575 rattle so much and and the suspension on these buses are so loose and bouncy. 

I kid you not some of the 2700s ride much better. Hopefully Meredith can tune these up a bit. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
need a gray/dark mode now

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Holy NYCTF update...looks interesting on mobile...they need a gray/dark mode now.

Anyways, the new Prevost are gonna be called the COVID buses imo because them shits were rushed. They either didn't have enough workers and had to meet a timeline, or not enough quality control or something. I rode 1560, 1562, 1565, 1566, and 1575. 1565 and 1575 rattle so much and and the suspension on these buses are so loose and bouncy. 

I kid you not some of the 2700s ride much better. Hopefully Meredith can tune these up a bit. 

Interesting...the 1300s are smooth and quiet. the seats and aisles are too narrow for my legs, but I think that's how it was designed, not an error. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I think Meredith's order may have been fast tracked...? But it seems like they've been coming in at the same speed as College Point's, maybe a little quicker.