BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So, it seems like 5477 (the LFSA that collided with the fire truck) is back in service, and 5480 is out of service following a fire? Wasn't aware that it caught on fire.

You’re extremely late on 5477. Bus returned months ago. As for 5480, I wasn’t aware of it being involved in a fire.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2021 at 11:52 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Is the Q32 and B11 regular overnight service or what? They always post so many cancelled Q32 trips. Every single night. It's ridiculous. If their goal is to kill off ridership, they're doing a hell of a job.

IIRC those routes didn’t run overnight pre-pandemic.

I have a strong feeling that all (or most) of this overnight bus service is gonna disappear by the next pick, even though some lines could use the extra service (Bxm7, Q53 just to name a few).

7 hours ago, Snorunts said:

You’re extremely late on 5477. Bus returned months ago. As for 5480, I wasn’t aware of it being involved in a fire.

They’ve been in service since summer of 2020 but it’s kinda sad they haven’t fixed the missing double 77 (on 5477) on the right side of the bus

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So, it seems like 5477 (the LFSA that collided with the fire truck) is back in service, and 5480 is out of service following a fire? Wasn't aware that it caught on fire.

5480 is back in service, I rode it last week on the Bx41

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

IIRC those routes didn’t run overnight pre-pandemic.

I have a strong feeling that all (or most) of this overnight bus service is gonna disappear by the next pick, even though some lines could use the extra service (Bxm7, Q53 just to name a few).

They haven't said anything yet, so I won't say anything. No news is good news.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

673 looks to be permanently retired though due to a front end fire. Whats with the 2017 XN40's catching on fire a lot recently?

Yea 673 looks like a wrap, doesn't make sense to bring it back in service tbh. Idk about that, but this was caused by a collision so maybe it was a problem with the battery of the moped.

16 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Holy NYCTF update...looks interesting on mobile...they need a gray/dark mode now.

Anyways, the new Prevost are gonna be called the COVID buses imo because them shits were rushed. They either didn't have enough workers and had to meet a timeline, or not enough quality control or something. I rode 1560, 1562, 1565, 1566, and 1575. 1565 and 1575 rattle so much and and the suspension on these buses are so loose and bouncy. 

I kid you not some of the 2700s ride much better. Hopefully Meredith can tune these up a bit. 

NFI is really making a good choice right now. They are going nice and slow to make sure everything is nice and fine tuned. I hope this doesn't effect the nova hevs or the LFS diesels.

15 hours ago, 1train2255railfan said:

I think Meredith's order may have been fast tracked...? But it seems like they've been coming in at the same speed as College Point's, maybe a little quicker. 

Its just messed up how everything is becoming low quality nowadays. Everything is about money and greed and quality is going out the door. You see it with the buses, with the trains, and with airplanes now. It's just sad how shit isn't built the same anymore. It's like can we even look forward to new equipment nowadays? Seems like everything under the hood becomes complicated, structural integrity degrades, and only cosmetics and appearance upgrades. It's almost as if they're really pushing this agenda to have people judge stuff from its exterior appearance rather than their interior performance. 

3 hours ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

NFI is really making a good choice right now. They are going nice and slow to make sure everything is nice and fine tuned. I hope this doesn't effect the nova hevs or the LFS diesels.

And while I say that a friend of mines said that 9648 broke down on the M100. Nice. Looks like that’s heading to Jersey.

32 minutes ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

And while I say that a friend of mines said that 9648 broke down on the M100. Nice. Looks like that’s heading to Jersey.

Wow, that bus is saved on my tracker app and it was in service earlier, was gonna try to catch it, but it stopped tracking, this explains why. 

The three depots that have Nova hybrids hardly run them for some reason. 

On 5/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Holy NYCTF update...looks interesting on mobile...they need a gray/dark mode now.

Anyways, the new Prevost are gonna be called the COVID buses imo because them shits were rushed. They either didn't have enough workers and had to meet a timeline, or not enough quality control or something. I rode 1560, 1562, 1565, 1566, and 1575. 1565 and 1575 rattle so much and and the suspension on these buses are so loose and bouncy. 

I kid you not some of the 2700s ride much better. Hopefully Meredith can tune these up a bit. 

Those buses were built basically like the 2500s-2700s down in the island already, so that new quality wasn't going to last long anyway. Charleston's 2700s are probably the only Prevosts I like on the island...the majority of 2500s and 2600s are back breakers.

Makes me hope we get MCIs next time around, but that most likely won't happen.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Since (MTA) bus was created, was there ever a route transferred to NYCT (MTA) or vice versa?

Nope. That most likely won’t occur until either the merger is complete and or the bus redesign happens. 

I was actually wondering about the status of the merger just the other day.  Anyone have an update on that? 

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Those buses were built basically like the 2500s-2700s down in the island already, so that new quality wasn't going to last long anyway. Charleston's 2700s are probably the only Prevosts I like on the island...the majority of 2500s and 2600s are back breakers.

Makes me hope we get MCIs next time around, but that most likely won't happen.

No these are WORSE. Wait till you ride them you'll be shocked. I love the Prevost buses but this is ridiculous. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

On 5/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, Cait Sith said:

9504: Yes. My guess is that it's the test bus for Allison's new eGen Flex system.
9501: Nope. Not sure what's going on with that one, but it is at Grand.

9505: Yep. Last time it was in service was on March 26th. I wonder what's going on with that one.

9501 has finally been put back in service. It's on the B47 rn. The ones that still don't seem to be in service are 9504, 9505, 9508, 9509.