BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

He was referring to the new Prevosts, not the Nova Hybrids. Besides that, the Novas at Manhattanville have been running consistently since they were delivered so I don't know of the status of the KB units.

I don’t think there’s any issues, if I’m not mistaken, one was on the A shuttle today. I think it’s a matter of probably everyone wanting their runs with the NGs before they go. I could be talking out my rear end though, and could be wrong.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

He was referring to the new Prevosts, not the Nova Hybrids.

Prevost and Nova are the same company tho, so who knows...

Either that or driver preference for the NGs. Those NG's still have quite a bit left in the tank, and that's in spite of KB and GH's mediocre maintenance of their buses.

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Either that or driver preference for the NGs. Those NG's still have quite a bit left in the tank, and that's in spite of KB and GH's mediocre maintenance of their buses.

If those NG’s were in Manhattan and Brooklyn, they would have plenty left in the tank. But to see the Bronx NG’s starting to go to the chopshop simply means they are not maintaining the NG’s well.  

However, I also believe it’s driver preference and plus KB’s novas aren’t coming in as Manhattanville’s. Gun Hill is supposed to get the option order. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If those NG’s were in Manhattan and Brooklyn, they would have plenty left in the tank. But to see the Bronx NG’s starting to go to the chopshop simply means they are not maintaining the NG’s well.  

However, I also believe it’s driver preference and plus KB’s novas aren’t coming in as Manhattanville’s. Gun Hill is supposed to get the option order. 

It might be also training issues drivers would have to come in earlier to do the training 

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not sure if sarcasm is being displayed here, but either way, Lol at "scenic"....

The thing that doesn't do it for the Q3 ride to/from JFK for me has less to do with how visually unappealing Farmers is & all to do with how that route crawls along Farmers.... I'm convinced JA depot b/o's are being told to do so... Even the overnight buses are slower than what they should be, getting from end to end....

Too much running time between the timepoints, I've taken the Q3 on occasion and yes it does move pretty slow, especially when there aren't a lot of people riding.

It's the same reason I'm regretting picking on the B63 this pick. Too much time and not a lot of people, especially during the later hours, end up 5-7 minutes hot. Literally have to crawl at 10-15 MPH because of it at times.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

It is. But my question is why is the fare so high to begin with when PA pays no tax, has only maintenance staff for AirTrain, and already collects PFC on each plane ticket that takes off. Has anyone actually audited PA’s books to see what division is undercharging and forcing AirTrain fares to be so high?

Their reasoning is to support all the capital project they are embarking.

They also stated that they need to support the PATH System with no tax dollars

I don't buy it, considering the fact they charge $16 to cross the Hudson, and $7.75 for an AUTOMATED Zero operator train system.

If I am not wrong, the 10 trip and the monthly airtrain MetroCard is still pretty cheap. $25 for 10 trips (in 30 days)

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I noticed that KB and GH run the NGs differently, KB used them consistently but GH uses them because they have to.

6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Too much running time between the timepoints, I've taken the Q3 on occasion and yes it does move pretty slow, especially when there aren't a lot of people riding.

It's the same reason I'm regretting picking on the B63 this pick. Too much time and not a lot of people, especially during the later hours, end up 5-7 minutes hot. Literally have to crawl at 10-15 MPH because of it at times.

Damn, the B63 done fell off like that? Interesting (but sad).... That route used to be slow as shit for the opposite reason (having to contend with too much traffic & a lot of quote-unquote intermediate usage on top of it).... It's one of those routes I used to basically/primarily 'fan during the crack of dawn on weekends, usually from the Bay Ridge end... But yeah, rush hour (and that juncture right before the PM rush; basically school let-out hours) & mid day Saturdays used to be suicide - and mid day weekdays weren't a picnic by any stretch either... Lol.....

Edited by B35 via Church

39 minutes ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

I noticed that KB and GH run the NGs differently, KB used them consistently but GH uses them because they have to.

With the amount of LFSes KB has, compared to the amount of standard routes they have, they don’t really have to run the LFS HEVs like crazy. You’ll maybe see M100, Bx7, and Bx13 have an insane amount of buses (the Bx3 and Bx10 on occasions too), they can run everything and have all the LFS HEVs as spares.

21 hours ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

I mean, 9648 has been having problems since delivery but I wonder if it’s a more broad issue or just that one bus.

Brand new buses always have teething issues. Nothing is perfect about them at first.

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

With the amount of LFSes KB has, compared to the amount of standard routes they have, they don’t really have to run the LFS HEVs like crazy. You’ll maybe see M100, Bx7, and Bx13 have an insane amount of buses (the Bx3 and Bx10 on occasions too), they can run everything and have all the LFS HEVs as spares.

I don't ride the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 much, but if you're talking about the ones from 2008 or whenever, those buses were pretty beat up. I would see them while waiting for the express bus. Over the last few years, I see more of the newer buses - the ones with the blue paint. I rarely see those older ones now. 

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Brand new buses always have teething issues. Nothing is perfect about them at first.

The first batch of LFSA's had a very slow brake release at first. I remember it would take a good 2 seconds for the brake to release when those buses were brand new...

8 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The first batch of LFSA's had a very slow brake release at first. I remember it would take a good 2 seconds for the brake to release when those buses were brand new...

That hasn't changed, that's the spec.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I dunno who said all the flipdot buses were retired, but I rode 2910 on the QM6 this morning lol

That's the only one out of CP. The others were all retired. Some drivers at the depot have a hard on for them. God knows why.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Electrical issues, problems with sensors. Out of the 25 or so buses they have, 6 have yet to break down.

I told yall these buses are jacked up. They VIOLATED this order. 

Yes all buses have teething issues but when over 75% of the batch is breaking down...that's a manufacturer issue.