BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

By that logic, no NICE buses should cross the border, and there should basically be zero connectivity between NICE & NYCT. 

The Existing Conditions Report for the Brooklyn Bus Redesign has that information: https://new.mta.info/document/14101

Page 160-161 have on-time performance data, and starting from page 172, you have the route profiles.

Here is some data for all boroughs from October 2014: http://nathan9.github.io/nycbusperformance/#2014-10

Thanks. Yea, I liked how they set up the Brooklyn Route Profiles, I wish they did it for all the boroughs.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All true, but that doesn't mean that their metrics aren't manipulated. The dashboard for most routes generally have numbers that are not in line with what passengers are experiencing in terms of how unreliable the service is. With all of the trips that aren't running, the numbers don't add up.  For some lines, they had no metrics at all until they were audited by the City Comptroller, so it's not like they've been so on it over these years. Worst off is with all of the data they have now, they are not addressing certain issues that they could, such as adjusting schedules, despite the ongoing complaints from customers for them to do so, so when the same lines have excess time over and over, and they promise to update the schedules, but don't, all of these things mean worst service for the riders. They could be doing a hell of a lot more than what they are.

You talk about things that could drastically affect the performance of some routes, yet their metrics don't reflect any of it. Performance wise, most lines look like they are stellar on paper, and that's the problem.

You're forgetting that with COVID the fears are very real, not to mention the uptick in assaults in employees that are causing the shortages- we've got people out on FMLA, those that call out sick, senior drivers retiring quicker, all that's going down faster then they can replace. We all know no one pays attention to things unless they become a problem since that's how things have worked for decades- imagine the surprise when Transit started putting down the number of riders on a given bus at any time along a route. Not even the operators knew that there were devices automatically tracking people getting on or off! 

People complain for changes in the schedule to account for all these variables but they don't usually change things in the middle of a pick- and even then that takes considerable time and effort to figure out where things need changing, adjusting runs to account for it (especially this because some operators don't like when runs change or get chopped) and making sure the buses can run as close to schedule as possible.

Since the pandemic the road conditions have gotten worse as more people have turned to driving cars adding to the usual traffic woes. Not much can be done there...

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

You're forgetting that with COVID the fears are very real, not to mention the uptick in assaults in employees that are causing the shortages- we've got people out on FMLA, those that call out sick, senior drivers retiring quicker, all that's going down faster then they can replace. We all know no one pays attention to things unless they become a problem since that's how things have worked for decades- imagine the surprise when Transit started putting down the number of riders on a given bus at any time along a route. Not even the operators knew that there were devices automatically tracking people getting on or off! 

People complain for changes in the schedule to account for all these variables but they don't usually change things in the middle of a pick- and even then that takes considerable time and effort to figure out where things need changing, adjusting runs to account for it (especially this because some operators don't like when runs change or get chopped) and making sure the buses can run as close to schedule as possible.

Since the pandemic the road conditions have gotten worse as more people have turned to driving cars adding to the usual traffic woes. Not much can be done there...

Not at all, but their data should reflect the issues you've mentioned. With all of the missing trips, the numbers cannot possibly be that high for things like trips completed/delivered, etc., yet somehow they are. As far as changing the schedules go, believe me, some schedules have been exactly the same for many years, perhaps even a decade, so with the real-time data they do have, they should be able to make some changes when new picks start up, something they agreed to do when they were last audited. On the bus side, the situation will only worsen unless they start making changes for the better. The train side isn't much better either though. They have a serious uphill battle. More people are driving now because they don't have faith in the (MTA) to deliver service consistently.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not at all, but their data should reflect the issues you've mentioned. With all of the missing trips, the numbers cannot possibly be that high for things like trips completed/delivered, etc., yet somehow they are. As far as changing the schedules go, believe me, some schedules have been exactly the same for many years, perhaps even a decade, so with the real-time data they do have, they should be able to make some changes when new picks start up, something they agreed to do when they were last audited. On the bus side, the situation will only worsen unless they start making changes for the better. The train side isn't much better either though. They have a serious uphill battle. More people are driving now because they don't have faith in the (MTA) to deliver service consistently.

And that's the negative feedback loop we find ourselves stuck in today.

Transit workers want better peace of mind while on the road/tracks, riders want to feel safer on the buses and trains, and people are going to keep driving no matter how many speed cameras are placed, how many traffic signals get shortened, and reduced driving space.

Is there a particular reason the B9 on Avenue N and McDonald avenue has its stops at the wrong side of the street? The Bay Ridge bound one stops after the traffic light so passengers can end up missing the F train, and the same problem on the Kings Plaza bound side. 

Why can’t they make it like on Avenue X and the other stations where the bus stops before the traffic light?

7 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

And that's the negative feedback loop we find ourselves stuck in today.

Transit workers want better peace of mind while on the road/tracks, riders want to feel safer on the buses and trains, and people are going to keep driving no matter how many speed cameras are placed, how many traffic signals get shortened, and reduced driving space.

Yeah, as long as we have business as usual... 

8 minutes ago, WhattheF said:

Is there a particular reason the B9 on Avenue N and McDonald avenue has its stops at the wrong side of the street? The Bay Ridge bound one stops after the traffic light so passengers can end up missing the F train, and the same problem on the Kings Plaza bound side. 

Why can’t they make it like on Avenue X and the other stations where the bus stops before the traffic light?

Bus stop placement is decided for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's because of traffic flow, etc. Those decisions are made by the DOT. On occasion, the (MTA) will request that a stop be moved. I had one stop moved recently and having some others looked at for improvements, but it takes a while and the DOT does not like moving stops unless it's for a good reason and the request can be fulfilled.

If you're successful in getting it moved, DOT has 90 days to fulfill the request, but before that the stop has to be surveyed to see if the request can even be fulfilled. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, WhattheF said:

You'll have to take that up with the DOT. They are the ones responsible for bus stop placement. 

To be honest with you, bus stops placed after the light (far side) are much more easier to pull the bus into than those placed before (near side). I haven't really done the 9 much but I never noticed that the stairs are across the street from the bus stops. You would think they'd be on both sides of the intersection like most elevated stations. Plus, the angle of that intersection may make it more difficult to get a bus into if there were cars parked on the far side and there is traffic on the opposite side so it's best to have those corners open. Same deal with the B11 going across to Ave I at McDonald.

5 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

You'll have to take that up with the DOT. They are the ones responsible for bus stop placement. 

To be honest with you, bus stops placed after the light (far side) are much more easier to pull the bus into than those placed before (near side). I haven't really done the 9 much but I never noticed that the stairs are across the street from the bus stops. You would think they'd be on both sides of the intersection like most elevated stations. Plus, the angle of that intersection may make it more difficult to get a bus into if there were cars parked on the far side and there is traffic on the opposite side so it's best to have those corners open. Same deal with the B11 going across to Ave I at McDonald.

Well the stairs are actually on both sides I believe. Just didn’t make sense to me that they don’t let people out at the first set of stairs so people can catch the train if they get stuck behind the red light. A couple of bus drivers do it though. 

1 hour ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Sad to say that 7647 from FB got into a accident on PP Park and has crashed into a building.  Not sure how bad the damage is but yeah. Also the route it was doing was the B49.

I had that bus yesterday on the 41 😞... Lets pray that everyone involved for a speedy recovery, especially the operator. 

Some B/Os are something else...there's this one B/O on the M15 local I get fairly often. Inevitably, some people bought an SBS ticket but take the local if it comes first.

Fine, no problem, you show your ticket to the B/O and 99% either couldn't care less, nod, or push the farebox button to indicate the ticket was shown.

This one B/O in particular, every single day, inevitably will start yelling "I'm not an SBS, you people need to learn I'm not an SBS!"  I'm like, duh, if you were an SBS no one would show you the ticket.

I guess this guy can't fathom that someone would take the local if it comes first? Dude needs some anger management or he's gonna have a heart attack

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Some B/Os are something else...there's this one B/O on the M15 local I get fairly often. Inevitably, some people bought an SBS ticket but take the local if it comes first.

Fine, no problem, you show your ticket to the B/O and 99% either couldn't care less, nod, or push the farebox button to indicate the ticket was shown.

This one B/O in particular, every single day, inevitably will start yelling "I'm not an SBS, you people need to learn I'm not an SBS!"  I'm like, duh, if you were an SBS no one would show you the ticket.

I guess this guy can't fathom that someone would take the local if it comes first? Dude needs some anger management or he's gonna have a heart attack

These operators need to know that the SBS tickets can be used on the local. Smh... It's been a rule since SBS was introduced to their respective lines and they're still getting angry. It's such a hidden rule though but I distinctly remember when SBS service is introduced to a new line, there were always DOT people at the stops sorta pressuring people into getting an SBS receipt regardless of whichever bus (local or SBS) came first. There needs to be a bulletin or memo put out to the operators for lines that have SBS and local counterparts. It does sorta fudge the numbers when you think about it because the SBS machine is going to report higher numbers than the local depending on where the swipe occurred.

Edited by danielhg121

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

He needs Frank Costanza's relaxation tape:

tenor.gif?itemid=6019218

Edited by R10 2952

8 hours ago, NBTA said:

So they made transfer announcements for the Bx99 just for the route to be eliminated? Not only that, but the route that I was on is gonna get its overnight service eliminated as well. Lol MTA.

I took the B99 from the city after the subways went back to 24 hour service and it was a pretty fast trip. Shame it’s going away, it was better than spending for a Lyft.

We picked up a few others who didn’t want any part of the subway at that hour.

10 hours ago, NBTA said:

So they made transfer announcements for the Bx99 just for the route to be eliminated? Not only that, but the route that I was on is gonna get its overnight service eliminated as well. Lol MTA.

Transfer announcements? What transfer announcements?

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Transfer announcements? What transfer announcements?

At Jerome Avenue (it was really on Paul Avenue for some odd reason) on local buses, they (at least the one I had) announce the transfer to the Bx99. 

5 hours ago, Kriston Lewis said:

I took the B99 from the city after the subways went back to 24 hour service and it was a pretty fast trip. Shame it’s going away, it was better than spending for a Lyft.

We picked up a few others who didn’t want any part of the subway at that hour.

I'm pretty sure you probably took a ride on my bus. I did the B99 almost every week on my days off. 

Edited by Flatbush Operator

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So I took a ride on the B49 yesterday, and 7647 is STILL in the building. Are they gonna leave it there or something??

The DOB (Department of Buildings, not Buses) ordered the building vacated. There might be a danger of the building collapsing partially (or worse) if the bus is moved.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

I'm pretty sure you probably took a ride on my bus. I did the B99 almost every week on my days off. 

If you remember a guy aggressively flagging you down at 34th Street last Wednesday, then that was me.

19 minutes ago, Kriston Lewis said:

The DOB (Department of Buildings, not Buses) ordered the building vacated. There might be a danger of the building collapsing partially (or worse) if the bus is moved.

If you remember a guy aggressively flagging you down at 34th Street last Wednesday, then that was me.

yeah they probally need to put up some scaffolding or support in order to remove the bus

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So I took a ride on the B49 yesterday, and 7647 is STILL in the building. Are they gonna leave it there or something??

1 hour ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

yeah they probally need to put up some scaffolding or support in order to remove the bus

That bus might still be in that building until Thursday or Friday if they need to shore up the building.

Edited by paulrivera

1 hour ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

The building, which was completed in 1919 (a lot of the apartment buildings there are from around the same time period, as most of the buildings there were completed between 1900 and 1925) is likely a wood-frame building, which complicates the matter since a good chunk of frame was knocked inward. The building, which is landmarked, is in danger of collapsing.

Edited by aemoreira81