BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, NBTA said:

They changed the signs on the M101/M102, to East Village-3rd Avenue-6th Street, also I think they glitched the sign cause I saw Via York Avenue.

Wouldn't 8th St be more accurate? Or rather St. Marks Place? 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, trainfan22 said:

The A & C lines have heavy weekend ridership, not surprised its bustution is an all hands on deck shuttle. Avoided like the plaque until today, got an Nova Artic from WF! Canarsie L to the A riders have it rough this weekend, L running as an shuttle every 24 minutes, and the A is out between Utica and Jay street, yikes.

don't say that, you'll piss off the people who  don't even live in NYC no more thinking ridership is still low (sarcasm)

all jokes aside, that's brutal and there was a shortage of buses due to not having enough B/O's for the shuttle.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:34 PM, shiznit1987 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on having the Q52 turn up Yellowstone Blvd and terminate at 71st-Continential? I think that would definitely balance out the ridership between the Q53 and Q52 since riders looking for an express subway can get the Q52 to 71st for the (E)(F) while those still heading for the mall/Jackson Hts/(7) train/Woodside can grab a Q53. 

I don’t think the Q52 should be diverted off of Woodhaven Blvd to terminate in Forest Hills. There is way more demand for QCM than Forest Hills. Plus you’d have to increase service on the Q53 because people aren’t going to take the locals which at this point are largely overlooked nowadays. I’ve always thought there should be a bus that travels along Yellowstone but I don’t know what I’d have run down there.

It would be so much easier if the Q23 could continue straight down 71st Ave to Union Turnpike but unfortunately buses are banned along that stretch between Austin Street and Harrow Street, so they have to do that slow reroute. 

I was thinking a possible idea could be to send the Q64 to Forest View Crescent Towers but I wouldn’t have all buses go there. The demand for Forest Hills south of Queens Blvd on the Q23 is nowhere near the demand for service north of Queens Blvd. I would have whatever Q64’s buses going to Forest View Crescent Towers turn onto the main road of Queens Blvd (skipping Austin street) to Yellowstone Blvd. I would then have it run to Burns Street like the present day Q23 and then the same route as the current Q23 to its last stop in front of the Forest View Towers. 

I would have the Q23 run normal until Yellowstone Blvd & Burns Street and instead of turning down Burns Street I would have the Q23 continue down Yellowstone till Woodhaven Blvd and the last stop would be on Metropolitan Ave & Woodhaven Blvd right across the street from the Wendy’s. To return back to East Elmhurst I would have buses turn onto Trotting Course Lane to Woodhaven Blvd and then north onto Yellowstone Blvd.

I was also thinking perhaps the Q21 could run along Yellowstone Blvd to Forest Hills but that would mean that you’d have to add service on both the Q11 and Q21 and I don’t think the MTA would do that. 

46 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

When the TA did that whole front transplant onto Orion V (ex-BL) 133, what former NYCT O5 was the new front taken from?

That happened ages ago, like 2010 or so, before the later 600s had even been retired yet. So it would have had to have been a 1993 100-300 series or a 1994-1995 400-500 series, whatever was still sitting around in Eastchester for the surgery. CS and WF were still running the 1996 order at that point. So yeah, transplant and everything else, that was an old, old bus. Rumor was they actually wired the hoodlum lights to work, even though the Bee Lines were specced without them. Never saw them flash myself though. 

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

I’m guessing since CS is moving NGs to MHV, CS is aboutta get their portion of the LFS order? 

I wouldn’t go too fast by saying that. Manhattanville has also gotten buses from Queens Village, Fresh Pond and Grand.  Although, CS has more NG’s in the queens division they can spare a fair amount to Manhattanville.  Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if MCH sends NG’s to Manhattanville since the XDE40’s are being prepped for delivery and sent out soon. 

This week I've started getting a lot of "the following trips will not operate today" emails for the QM1/5/6/31/35/36. Looks like the B/O shortage is hitting CP hard right now. 

Meanwhile, I've started taking the X63/64/68 to Queens more regularly because those B/O's really haul a**. Sometimes I'll miss a QM5 or 6 by a few mins from the last stop, catch the X63/4/8 a few mins later, and still get to my stop before the QM5 arrives, even though I had to transfer to the Q46 at Queens Blvd.  Plus, nearly all the buses have the accurate passenger counters so I know what to expect before I board. 

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

This week I've started getting a lot of "the following trips will not operate today" emails for the QM1/5/6/31/35/36. Looks like the B/O shortage is hitting CP hard right now. 

Meanwhile, I've started taking the X63/64/68 to Queens more regularly because those B/O's really haul a**. Sometimes I'll miss a QM5 or 6 by a few mins from the last stop, catch the X63/4/8 a few mins later, and still get to my stop before the QM5 arrives, even though I had to transfer to the Q46 at Queens Blvd.  Plus, nearly all the buses have the accurate passenger counters so I know what to expect before I board. 

It may be a very bad summer too. I spoke with the (MTA) last week about when they would get enough operators. No timeline as of yet, but hopefully by September, but I am not hearing good things for the Summer pick for the express lines.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It may be a very bad summer too. I spoke with the (MTA) last week about when they would get enough operators. No timeline as of yet, but hopefully by September, but I am not hearing good things for the Summer pick for the express lines.

Oh boy, that's not good considering all these offices are going back to more and more in-person works. Those buses are getting fuller and fuller every day. I hope they install those partitions ASAP and unchain those front rows already

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Oh boy, that's not good considering all these offices are going back to more and more in-person works. Those buses are getting fuller and fuller every day. I hope they install those partitions ASAP and unchain those front rows already

Plus the fact that you have retirements outpacing hiring and the fact you also have so many washouts

30 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

If they're running at MV and TU but not at KB, could there be an issue with training (for drivers and/or maintainers)?

As of this morning none of the buses are running... The buses have some teething issues. Thus why Manhattanville has taken on some more NG's from Brooklyn Division and Queens Division, and more might be coming if the HEV orders don't sort it self.

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks, all, for clarifying. In that case, that damn brooklyn crash is causing my commute to get longer and longer!

Yeah, sadly some supervisors have bad moods 100% of the time so if they see a B/O going 1 mile over the speed limit, it's suspension (or termination if on probation) so I can understand why.