BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

If I wanted to see old NYCT bus schedule PDFs, from 2007-2015, how would I go about doing that?

You can use the Wayback Machine (archive.org), and search up mta.info . You should get a lot of results, and then you can go to the schedules page.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As of this morning none of the buses are running... The buses have some teething issues. Thus why Manhattanville has taken on some more NG's from Brooklyn Division and Queens Division, and more might be coming if the HEV orders don't sort it self.

Actually, Manhattanville took on more NGs to replace the OGs they retired...

According to Cait Sith 9702 is at Quill. However now there’s a sort of problem going on with the Nova LFS HEV and I’m getting told that the Nova HEVs are leaving Manhattanville and instead are going to replace the OGs with Casey’s 4000 NGs. As for KB it looks like they are done with the Nova LFS HEVs and want nothing to do with them. 

12 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

According to Cait Sith 9702 is at Quill. However now there’s a sort of problem going on with the Nova LFS HEV and I’m getting told that the Nova HEVs are leaving Manhattanville and instead are going to replace the OGs with Casey’s 4000 NGs. As for KB it looks like they are done with the Nova LFS HEVs and want nothing to do with them. 

So then where are the Novabus LFS HEVs supposedly going to go? Casey Stengel? Queens Village?

5 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

As of right now it’s not known yet but I can tell you this those buses are breaking apart.

If the problem is that bad, they should send them back to Novabus to either get them properly fixed or replaced. I doubt sending them to another depot would make any difference.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, MHV184 said:

I doubt that's true.

9 hours ago, Snorunts said:

So then where are the Novabus LFS HEVs supposedly going to go? Casey Stengel? Queens Village?

It'd be interesting if they swap Kingsbridge LFS HEV's and Casey Stengel gets them instead. Kingsbridge might as well get the 2021 LFS diesels, they already have experience with them. 

12 hours ago, MHV184 said:

9702 is in fact at Quill. It was on the roof. However unless something changes next week, the allotments are still the same.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@SevenEleven

Why do no B/Os report about BusTime errors?? Like the S86 and S90 are obviously to ride/drive with an LFS. I noticed more 7000s on those two routes and I'm assuming it's because of the announcements. 

You're assuming that they know.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@SevenEleven

Why do no B/Os report about BusTime errors?? Like the S86 and S90 are obviously to ride/drive with an LFS. I noticed more 7000s on those two routes and I'm assuming it's because of the announcements. 

We have and this is in part the reason why ops take 7000s for these two lines. I don't understand how they were able to add Lafayette Ave as a stop on the 90 and correct the announcements until Park Ave but not fix the rest of the line. Oh well.

54 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

We have and this is in part the reason why ops take 7000s for these two lines. I don't understand how they were able to add Lafayette Ave as a stop on the 90 and correct the announcements until Park Ave but not fix the rest of the line. Oh well.

Yeah I can't imagine operating the S86 and its announcing every single local stop, then you got passengers arguing all the time thinking it's a stop for the 86, etc. Obviously they'll assume the announcements are right at first, but it gets annoying after a while. I've made several reports so hopefully a fix is coming soon. Another issue is the S52 stops on Father Capp, the stops are all mushed together on the map, so that explains why the announcments overlap each other and are out of sync with the physical stop locations. They're so slow with this stuff but I'm hoping to get the main issues resolved this year. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah I can't imagine operating the S86 and its announcing every single local stop, then you got passengers arguing all the time thinking it's a stop for the 86, etc. Obviously they'll assume the announcements are right at first, but it gets annoying after a while. I've made several reports so hopefully a fix is coming soon. Another issue is the S52 stops on Father Capp, the stops are all mushed together on the map, so that explains why the announcments overlap each other and are out of sync with the physical stop locations. They're so slow with this stuff but I'm hoping to get the main issues resolved this year. 

BusTime issues are handled by a vendor. Corrections/updates are made every so often. If there are issues, I suggest you bring them up, note them and then they will be fixed in a month or so. I had a bus stop moved by the DOT a few months ago. I had to hound the (MTA) for about a month to update BusTime, but I got it fixed. You may want to take screenshots of the exact issues so that they can be submitted and updated.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

52 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BusTime issues are handled by a vendor. Corrections/updates are made every so often. If there are issues, I suggest you bring them up, note them and then they will be fixed in a month or so. I had a bus stop moved by the DOT a few months ago. I had to hound the (MTA) for about a month to update BusTime, but I got it fixed. You may want to take screenshots of the exact issues so that they can be submitted and updated.

MTA Twitter doesn't even listen to their customers, they actually had the audacity to call out a fan who was trying to tell them a tracker on a bus was malfunctioning.

And I believe we had this discussion before regarding some of the employees having unprofessional attitudes on Twitter a few months back on this fourm.

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

MTA Twitter doesn't even listen to their customers, they actually had the audacity to call out a fan who was trying to tell them a tracker on a bus was malfunctioning.

And I believe we had this discussion before regarding some of the employees having unprofessional attitudes on Twitter a few months back on this fourm.

I have met several of the Customer Service reps. in person, so most of them know me when I Tweet or know of me. Word gets out and despite what people may think, there aren't that many folks behind the scenes. There isn't some huge tech team for example that can just fix BusTime issues. We had a small meeting (Sarah Meyer sent them I guess) and we chatted for a bit (about three of them came and I had two of the planners there - this was when we were discussing the Bronx Redesign circa 2019). There are two or three of them that are cool and help me a lot. The ones that don't know me can be curt and are curt in general. If you get one that is rude, I would fire back another Tweet. I'm always courteous, but get my point across. Some of them think they're just supposed to provide basic info and that's it. 

One thing to consider though, there are a few of them that really do try and care. The info they post about detours, and so on for example is sent to them from the various depots, so they get everything in bits and pieces, which is why for example, if several bus routes run down the same corridor, they may not post about all of them if several depots are involved. I've had a discussion about the need to provide more accurate info in another meeting that didn't involve them. It really should be much better. It's just too chaotic. I do like the maps they created for detours though. That was thought up and designed by one of the Customer Service reps.

Thinking about BusTime, when it first came out, I used to actually communicate with the Tech geeks that created it (it was done pro-bono just like the live Subway map we have). I would ask them to correct this or that (misspelling or something small), ask questions about this or that. They were pretty cool, but once the major kinks were worked out, that was it. I don't know who actually updates it now, but whatever issues exist, they are noted and sent to the vendor who addresses it, which is why it takes a while. Now they do have someone who can fix the electronic schedules. I know because I've e-mailed a contact about correcting this or that and they've done that quickly, but BusTime is not set up with in house staff to address issues.