BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Two citizen reporters said 8719, if you meant to say 8700**. 

That bus pulled into Yukon at 5:20pm after finishing a run at Staten Island Mall. I think the number that was reported on Citizen is wrong. There's no way it could be 8719 because that was on the S79 basically all day with a midday pull-in. At the time the fire was reported on Citizen, 8719 was already in Yukon.

And it definitely wasn't 8179. That(at the time of this post) is on the S78.

Edited by Cait Sith

So I’m getting on a BxM1 this morning coming back from the city (stayed in midtown overnight after the fireworks) and I see this couple with a baby and a stroller waiting at the stop.

”nah, they can’t possibly want the express bus, they must be wanting the M101” I think to myself.

Nope, they were waiting for the express bus. And they didn’t even fold the stroller until after the bus had pulled up to the stop.

Took us almost 5 minutes to pull out of the stop by the time they folded that stroller up.

I mean, God bless the express buses for attracting new riders, but *man*……

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

So I’m getting on a BxM1 this morning coming back from the city (stayed in midtown overnight after the fireworks) and I see this couple with a baby and a stroller waiting at the stop.

”nah, they can’t possibly want the express bus, they must be wanting the M101” I think to myself.

Nope, they were waiting for the express bus. And they didn’t even fold the stroller until after the bus had pulled up to the stop.

Took us almost 5 minutes to pull out of the stop by the time they folded that stroller up.

Those type of people annoy the hell out of me 😭. Like is it so hard to prepare yourself before getting on the bus.  

It can be raining like crazy outside and you’ll have a bunch of people wait to get on the bus to then look for their wallet to get their metrocard. I usually either have mines in my hand or my pocket so I can quickly board and respect the other people who might be waiting. 

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Exactly why I avoid the via Inwood buses and take the BxM2 on weekends, or Metro-North if I need the East Side. During the week I always take the BxM1s that skip Inwood. Always something, or people that don't know what the fare is and then argue with the driver holding up service.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Those type of people annoy the hell out of me 😭. Like is it so hard to prepare yourself before getting on the bus.

I have no idea lmao.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Exactly why I avoid the via Inwood buses and take the BxM2 on weekends, or Metro-North if I need the East Side. During the week I always take the BxM1s that skip Inwood. Always something, or people that don't know what the fare is and then argue with the driver holding up service.

How’d you know it was someone from Inwood lol

Getting off, me and my carryon bag made it all the way on the Bx12, and I think that poor couple were struggling to get that stroller off the bus.

I guess it’s a good thing I only take the BxM1 in the morning whenever I need the east side, since in the afternoon it would take me half an hour just to cross that damn bridge on 207. The bridge is usually clear and the Bx12 is really speedy before noon on the weekends tho. Otherwise, it’s either the BxM3/4 and schlep from 5th, or Metro-North (I’m still not ready to take the subway into the city)

I can't help but wonder how many spare buses were at Grand Avenue Depot. This year, they lost 4814, 7100, 7114, 7122, 7193-7197 to East New York, 7245-7252 to Fresh Pond, 4513, 4519 to Queens Village, 4571 to Manhattanville, and 4560 was involved in an accident on 1/31/21. That's a total of 21 buses without replacements. Are they XDE40s coming to Grand Avenue this month?

10 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I can't help but wonder how many spare buses were at Grand Avenue Depot. This year, they lost 4814, 7100, 7114, 7122, 7193-7197 to East New York, 7245-7252 to Fresh Pond, 4513, 4519 to Queens Village, 4571 to Manhattanville, and 4560 was involved in an accident on 1/31/21. That's a total of 21 buses without replacements. Are they XDE40s coming to Grand Avenue this month?

They still have 7692 from East New York.. Who knows that bus may go back.

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Maybe in the next month or so. What I've checked on Grand Av routes, they don't carry much buses from A to B (with their 15-30 min headways during the weekdays) except for the B47, B60, B62 and Q59. 

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I have no idea lmao.

How’d you know it was someone from Inwood lol

Getting off, me and my carryon bag made it all the way on the Bx12, and I think that poor couple were struggling to get that stroller off the bus.

I guess it’s a good thing I only take the BxM1 in the morning whenever I need the east side, since in the afternoon it would take me half an hour just to cross that damn bridge on 207. The bridge is usually clear and the Bx12 is really speedy before noon on the weekends tho. Otherwise, it’s either the BxM3/4 and schlep from 5th, or Metro-North (I’m still not ready to take the subway into the city)

Someone smacked me in the head with a stroller on the SIM4c and had the nerve to say my head was in the way 🤣🤣🤣

This is why I drive everywhere.

One of my colleagues told me today his brother just started line training as a new B/O, so I guess the shortage should get a little better. But he also said his bro took the job "because the overtime is crazy, you can make a killing off of it", so maybe the shortage isn't really disappearing...

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

One of my colleagues told me today his brother just started line training as a new B/O, so I guess the shortage should get a little better. But he also said his bro took the job "because the overtime is crazy, you can make a killing off of it", so maybe the shortage isn't really disappearing...

I mean that's just the reputation of MTA positions, that there's tons of overtime available. (And on the other hand, at least it means that they would fill the trips if there was OT available. I remember a B/O saying they were restricting them from picking up extra shifts on their days off and the only OT available was subway shuttles)