BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So this is something that hasn't happened before: Q113/114 buses operating to/from Rockaway Boulevard (A):

There was a tanker spill on the Nassau Expwy between Burnside Avenue and Rockaway Turnpike. Traffic was extended from the airport as a result of the accident if your coming from Ozone Park and Long Beach from the other end. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So uh...theres an XD40 melting? in a street in the city...

kjEx1Lt.png

I heard that some bus got stuck in a giant sinkhole that opened up. That could be the bus. Pathetic how crappy our streets are in general though. One bus I was on years ago got stuck in a pothole. Took the driver a good half an hour to get the bus out. Backed up traffic for blocks.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I heard that some bus got stuck in a giant sinkhole that opened up. That could be the bus. Pathetic how crappy our streets are in general though. One bus I was on years ago got stuck in a pothole. Took the driver a good half an hour to get the bus out. Backed up traffic for blocks.

Thats insane...Imagine what will happen to a car ,bike scooter or anything lower in size than a bus.... 

1 minute ago, biGC323232 said:

Thats insane...Imagine what will happen to a car ,bike scooter or anything lower in size than a bus.... 

It is. The amount of sinkholes I'm seeing is also increasing. A few years ago, they repaved 5th Av, only to have a huge sinkhole appear a few days later that had to be patched. They need to use better paving materials.

Our underlying infrastructure is the problem. Just last summer we had a massive water main break in Sunset Park that had part of 5th Avenue closed for weeks. This time around there was another near-miss around 49th Street where they're doing more underground work . Don't know if they finished that yet since I'm not on the B63 anymore but definitely something that needs to be looked at going forth.

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

Our underlying infrastructure is the problem. Just last summer we had a massive water main break in Sunset Park that had part of 5th Avenue closed for weeks. This time around there was another near-miss around 49th Street where they're doing more underground work . Don't know if they finished that yet since I'm not on the B63 anymore but definitely something that needs to be looked at going forth.

And don't forget the massive water main break on UWS, about a year ago. That probably took 5 years off the life of the roads and infrastructure 

32 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Something that was in mind: Eventually, either Mother Clara Hale or Manhattanville will be the first depot(s) that'll have all buses with wifi, usb ports (or all with on-screen announcements and boards)

I place my bets for Mother Clara Hale. Manhattanville is still a long way to go lol. Also, isn't Michael J. Quill also part of that? It seems like they're going to push out all their older hybrid buses and keep the 2018 XD40s.

Also, the 2017 XD60s at OF don't have on-board screens installed.

Edited by Snorunts

9 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I place my bets for Mother Clara Hale. Manhattanville is still a long way to go lol.

Also, the 2017 XD60s at OF don't have on-board screens installed. Also, isn't Michael J. Quill also part of that? It seems like they're going to push out all their older hybrid buses and keep the 2018 XD40s.

Oh, yeah you're right on that. They cycled back and forth between Casey Stengel (around 2018-19) and Quill. Probably, the mileage is how some of the 6000s from Quill ended up on the M15-SBS and the upper 6100s were passed on to Quill.

For Quill: I will say it's part of it but the process may be second to third place 

Edited by Calvin

So there was a horrible sad story yesterday about how a woman was killed yesterday in Queens, a sedan hit her and it knocked her into a passing (MTA) bus. The first driver fled the scene and so did the (MTA) driver, but I don't think the MTA driver even knows what happened. Would this MTA driver be charged in a hit and run, even though they weren't the ones that caused it?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So there was a horrible sad story yesterday about how a woman was killed yesterday in Queens, a sedan hit her and it knocked her into a passing (MTA) bus. The first driver fled the scene and so did the (MTA) driver, but I don't think the MTA driver even knows what happened. Would this MTA driver be charged in a hit and run, even though they weren't the ones that caused it?

There is a possibility.. As a general rule.. NEVER LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT..  9 out 10 chances  it is an accident and no one won't be charged. Unless severe circumstances.  From the video I saw on the news it was in Middle Village and that's gotta be in LaGuardia territory.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

There is a possibility.. As a general rule.. NEVER LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT..  9 out 10 chances  it is an accident and no one won't be charged. Unless severe circumstances.  From the video I saw on the news it was in Middle Village and that's gotta be in LaGuardia territory.

Q38 territory  college point 

The MTA sucks, the BusTime team sucks, and NYC sucks. I completely give up and I refuse to spend anymore time volunteering to help improve and address service in this city.

Transit in this city will NEVER EVER improve with the current people running the show...this is a clown city filled with clown "leaders". 

After providing evidence of the S90 issue on Bustime, the BusTime team got back to me stating that the service plan is for the S90 to ONLY run limited from St George to Richmond Terr/Park Ave. They said the PDF schedules are wrong, and the stops are wrong, so now they are in the process of fixing the PDFs to reflect the S90 only running limited between St George Ferry and Richmond Terr/Park Ave, and will have the DOT add all S90 markings to all of the local stops west of Park Ave. 

f**k all this shit. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes, but how do you know there's an accident if you don't see it? I know some of those streets in Metropolitan Av have no street lights.

What is with the city making it EXTREMELY difficult for ANY new charter company to try and do business in this city? I just had another close friend give up on running a bus in the city and moved his operations to Connecticut, where DOT there actually WANTS to contract out routes to private bus companies. Clearly the (MTA) doesn't want to run the service, so why not let others do it? @Via Garibaldi 8

And @JAzumah I read about what happened with the QM22 just now, the city really tried to play you dirty. Please tell me you at least sued them.

12 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The MTA sucks, the BusTime team sucks, and NYC sucks. I completely give up and I refuse to spend anymore time volunteering to help improve and address service in this city.

Transit in this city will NEVER EVER improve with the current people running the show...this is a clown city filled with clown "leaders". 

After providing evidence of the S90 issue on Bustime, the BusTime team got back to me stating that the service plan is for the S90 to ONLY run limited from St George to Richmond Terr/Park Ave. They said the PDF schedules are wrong, and the stops are wrong, so now they are in the process of fixing the PDFs to reflect the S90 only running limited between St George Ferry and Richmond Terr/Park Ave, and will have the DOT add all S90 markings to all of the local stops west of Park Ave. 

f**k all this shit. 

Most of those of us that's been active enough on these parts (as in, the forum) over the years are guilty of giving too much of a shit (regarding the betterment of public transit).... Everybody has breaking points & this agency will bring you to it - it's only a matter of when, or how quickly.... Looks like the camel's back's been broken on your end here....

I hate to even put it like this on a transit forum, but as far as anything pertaining to the MTA's concerned, I'm just sitting back & watching how far down the rabbit hole this shitshow we're experiencing that this agency will sink to.... I can't even get irate at it all anymore.... Although it shouldn't be, the shit is inevitable.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What is with the city making it EXTREMELY difficult for ANY new charter company to try and do business in this city? I just had another close friend give up on running a bus in the city and moved his operations to Connecticut, where DOT there actually WANTS to contract out routes to private bus companies. Clearly the (MTA) doesn't want to run the service, so why not let others do it? @Via Garibaldi 8

The simple answer is that people in general are territorial; you don't want anyone infringing on something you think (or know) that's yours.... The MTA wants (and has) that much of a stronghold over public transit in this city, I'd go as far as to say that they're scared shitless of competition (hence all the hoops & barriers any outside entity has to jump over & what not)..... Funny thing about incompetency is that it breeds insecurity.

There's also the train of thought that goes something to the effect of, a free market (when it comes to public transportation) can destroy cities.... I see both sides of the spectrum as it comes to this.... The lot of us here has long been tired of the MTA's antics & see no (positive) end in sight - but at the same time, if the MTA wasn't running the show, who, how fast, and how successful would some other entity be, when it comes to the efficiently, effectiveness, and the other nuances that attributes to the operation of running a whole city's transit system (regardless of how large/small a particular jurisdiction it's being ran in).... Unless you don't have skin in the game (as in, currently utilizing public transportation), I'd say most aren't really willing to endure a transition period of sorts...

When you're that confident with how [efficient] & [overall successful and/or satisfactory] your operations are, you tend to not give a shit about potential competition.... Sounds like CT's in that boat when it comes to CTTransit.... I mean scope comes into play too, but for the most part, said sentiment still applies....

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

And @JAzumah I read about what happened with the QM22 just now, the city really tried to play you dirty. Please tell me you at least sued them.

57 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Most of those of us that's been active enough on these parts (as in, the forum) over the years are guilty of giving too much of a shit (regarding the betterment of public transit).... Everybody has breaking points & this agency will bring you to it - it's only a matter of when, or how quickly.... Looks like the camel's back's been broken on your end here....

I hate to even put it like this on a transit forum, but as far as anything pertaining to the MTA's concerned, I'm just sitting back & watching how far down the rabbit hole this shitshow we're experiencing that this agency will sink to.... I can't even get irate at it all anymore.... Although it shouldn't be, the shit is inevitable.

The simple answer is that people in general are territorial; you don't want anyone infringing on something you think (or know) that's yours.... The MTA wants (and has) that much of a stronghold over public transit in this city, I'd go as far as to say that they're scared shitless of competition (hence all the hoops & barriers any outside entity has to jump over & what not)..... Funny thing about incompetency is that it breeds insecurity.

There's also the train of thought that goes something to the effect of, a free market (when it comes to public transportation) can destroy cities.... I see both sides of the spectrum as it comes to this.... The lot of us here has long been tired of the MTA's antics & see no (positive) end in sight - but at the same time, if the MTA wasn't running the show, who, how fast, and how successful would some other entity be, when it comes to the efficiently, effectiveness, and the other nuances that attributes to the operation of running a whole city's transit system (regardless of how large/small a particular jurisdiction it's being ran in).... Unless you don't have skin in the game (as in, currently utilizing public transportation), I'd say most aren't really willing to endure a transition period of sorts...

When you're that confident with how [efficient] & [overall successful and/or satisfactory] your operations are, you tend to not give a shit about potential competition.... Sounds like CT's in that boat when it comes to CTTransit.... I mean scope comes into play too, but for the most part, said sentiment still applies....

To add to what B35 stated above, when it comes to transportation, the thinking is that the (MTA) should run it. One of the reasons that the former private lines were consolidated and put under (MTA) Bus was the City thought they could save money. Lower subsidies. On the one hand, you have everything under one umbrella, so in theory, you would think that one of the largest transit systems in the world would be run efficiently. On the other hand, there's no competition, so the (MTA) has carte blanche to run service as they wish, which is why I have advocated successfully to have them audited again by the City Comptroller's office to answer about their express bus service. I had written both the City and State Comptroller over the last several months and had been exchanging e-mails urging them to take this up with tons of evidence to support my request: https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/comptroller-stringer-audit-mta-express-bus-on-time-performance-continues-to-lag/

The other way to hold them somewhat accountable is to screw with their funding. When lawmakers propose making changes to legislation that is tied to their funding, that gets their attention, otherwise, they could care less. I like what Congresswoman Lydia Velázquez is proposing, which is to force transit agencies nationwide to accept cash at booths, and she tied the proposed legislation to them getting federal funding. The (MTA) like other transit agencies, relies heavily on federal funding: 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-velazquez-mta-cash-booths-bill-20210629-4ow5to6s5nfuzc2tzabfsv5lje-story.html

I have had a few private operators contact me about starting up private express bus service, and I would love to work with them. The issue has been that as a private operator, they need the ridership, so now is definitely not the time to start up any such service, but I have had conversations about it going back to early 2020. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8