BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The issues are so grand and oblivious and they are purposely denying their mistakes. I'm starting to think this is deliberate neglect within the MTA. These issues are obvious and they claim they do quarterly checks of all the lines. We should not be doing all of this extra running around just to submit ONE issue. This complaint has been going on since March and the email chain is 11-12 messages long. I provided so many screenshots, photos of the stops, PDFs, etc, and they still refused to admit their mistake and now they want to revert to routes to match what's on Bustime. Clearly there is a disconnect between the different organizations within the MTA, and when it comes down to innocent bus drivers being verbally assaulted by riders for neglect from the MTA, I will make sure the dirty system gets fixed ASAP. I'm ready to take this to whoever is above the BusTime team because it seems intentional to have these issues for so long, and then when someone reports it, they're ready to change the route up without notice or approval. 

I will be reaching out to a few third party  affiliates I know within the MTA and once I receive their contact information I will write to them to find out what the organization chart consists of to see who overlooks BusTime, and who the person who overlooks BusTime reports to.

This is absolutely ridiculous how something SO easy to do takes so long to fix. 14 years of neglect!! (and yes it's easy, I've learned GTFS data and the Hastus software online in in some coding courses). They do not need a third party contractor updating the system. They need people in house who are communicating directly with Road Ops/DOB/DOT. 

This will be straightened out before the year is over. Enough is enough! 

Bus Operations handles BusTime issues. There is no BusTime team, just to be clear. Whenever there's an issue, someone from Planning usually will submit the requests that need to be changed, and it is usually nothing major like this.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, it was done by some tech geeks for free. Whenever there was a glitch, they would respond directly to complaints (I think this was around 2011 or whenever BusTime first started on Staten Island), as at that time they were still around and looking to get feedback. Now however, any corrections that are needed are sent out to a contractor every so many weeks whenever they do updates or whatever. There is no one on staff that I'm aware of that they have in house to address such issues. 

TBH this is why you go for a contractor like Cubic or Clear Devices or whatever.

It is more expensive, but you are paying someone to support it on beck and call, because God knows the MTA couldn't give two shits.

13 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

TBH this is why you go for a contractor like Cubic or Clear Devices or whatever.

It is more expensive, but you are paying someone to support it on beck and call, because God knows the MTA couldn't give two shits.

I guess you forgot what a shit show the other contractors were. 

We've moved toward a system that is both less costly to install and maintain and more useful to riders, because it provides you with accurate, real-time bus information before you even leave your apartment," MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said. "Bus Time alerts riders to the status of their commute in real time, with actual bus locations available on the web, by text message and on smartphones."

The MTA's NYC Transit division awarded a contract to Orbital Sciences Corp. in 1996 to design and install a bus-tracking system that provided bus-arrival times in real time to riders waiting at bus stops.

The the agency fired the company four years later. Officials at the time said there were problems maintaining wireless signals in midtown Manhattan.

In the summer of 2005, the MTA awarded a contract to Siemens for a $13 million pilot program featuring countdown clocks along six Manhattan bus routes. The program fell more than a year behind schedule and the MTA eventually pulled it because clocks, or electronic message boards, were displaying estimated arrival times that were too far off the mark.

Another pilot was launched in 2010 under former MTA Chairman Jay Walder with the installation of next-bus message boards on the M34 crosstown route. According to an MTA press release, some hailed it as "The Miracle on 34th St."

The miracle was short-lived. The technology company participating in the 34th St. test program removed their countdown clock in April "after the conclusion of the pilot led us in another direction," Donovan said.

Back in 2005, the MTA estimated that placing countdown clocks on all routes would cost more than $100 million. According to figures provided by the MTA, "Bus Time" will cost about half that amount.

BusTime was the right way to go. All they need really is to update the system more often.  I took the M42 three stops earlier today. BusTIme was inaccurate on the bus. I got on at 3rd and 42nd.  It listed Lexington and 42nd as a stop, which had been eliminated years ago in both directions as part of a consolidation of stops by the (MTA).

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-prefers-bus-time-countdown-clocks-article-1.1217360

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The issues are so grand and oblivious and they are purposely denying their mistakes. I'm starting to think this is deliberate neglect within the MTA. These issues are obvious and they claim they do quarterly checks of all the lines. We should not be doing all of this extra running around just to submit ONE issue. This complaint has been going on since March and the email chain is 11-12 messages long. I provided so many screenshots, photos of the stops, PDFs, etc, and they still refused to admit their mistake and now they want to revert to routes to match what's on Bustime. Clearly there is a disconnect between the different organizations within the MTA, and when it comes down to innocent bus drivers being verbally assaulted by riders for neglect from the MTA, I will make sure the dirty system gets fixed ASAP. I'm ready to take this to whoever is above the BusTime team because it seems intentional to have these issues for so long, and then when someone reports it, they're ready to change the route up without notice or approval. 

I will be reaching out to a few third party  affiliates I know within the MTA and once I receive their contact information I will write to them to find out what the organization chart consists of to see who overlooks BusTime, and who the person who overlooks BusTime reports to.

This is absolutely ridiculous how something SO easy to do takes so long to fix. 14 years of neglect!! (and yes it's easy, I've learned GTFS data and the Hastus software online in in some coding courses). They do not need a third party contractor updating the system. They need people in house who are communicating directly with Road Ops/DOB/DOT. 

This will be straightened out before the year is over. Enough is enough! 

It's the same thing in the rail division when it comes to Public Info Systems. Stuff stays broken for at least half a year before it's actually fixed.

Albany needs to tell (MTA) to create a new department SOLELY for Public Info Systems for both rail and bus. Watch how fast all these issues get fixed.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Albany needs to tell (MTA) to create a new department SOLELY for Public Info Systems for both rail and bus. Watch how fast all these issues get fixed.

For all the faults Albany has, it's always hilarious every time Cuomo or whoever orders the (MTA) to do something, the MTA drops everything and complies with Albany's directives immediately.

Like that one time they wanted to discontinue the bus wi-fi because "no one was using it", Albany was like "no you're not" and the MTA had to retreat and say that "the proposal was made in error" and that the bus wifi "is a very popular service"

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It's the same thing in the rail division when it comes to Public Info Systems. Stuff stays broken for at least half a year before it's actually fixed.

this just sounds like creating more bureaucratic soup, which is not really what the MTA needs

On 7/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, B35 via Church said:

My sentiment isn't that anyone that cares enough doesn't exist, it's that they're powerless & weak in numbers to actually make a significant, worthwhile change, culture-wise... If you don't have a foundation, you don't have anything.... This agency isn't in it for the betterment for the riding public, they're in it for their own selfish interests... Corrupted as shit & the front line workers are the ones that have to be sentries, taking (figurative) bullets/vitriol/heat from the everyday riding public that utilize their services in order to get around...

Having (so-called) competition eat costs for services the MTA themselves don't want to run, isn't exactly "working with the private sector" :lol:

The MTA is having a near death experience right now. The upper management knows it, but I don't get the impression that the rank and file knows it yet. The economic activity that funds them is still way down and they will have to slim down because of that. At their lowest point, only the people who care will run this agency. I will say that I like Sarah Feinberg and I think she cares, which is why she will end up in DC. :)

Bus services have revenues and expenditures. People can and do pay extra for faster/better service (such as commuter vans). Expect to see more of them when the insurance costs come down.

25 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

It makes the giant loop. They change drivers once they get to 2nd Avenue in Harlem.

They change drivers after every trip? 

Why do some M60 buses sit at Terminal B for some time? 

Also, the M60 has an LGA airport bound destination code and a West Side bond destination code. When do they change the signs? 

I'm trying to figure out why the ADA screens on the M60 glitches while it's at the airport. 

10 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What circular routes do we have in the city? And by circular I'm referring to routes that only have one main terminal for shutting the bus off type layovers. 

Queens: Q48, Q70SBS, Q72

Brooklyn: B74

Manhattan: M60SBS

Bronx: Bx23

Does Highbridge circular counts- Bx18.

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They change drivers after every trip? 

Why do some M60 buses sit at Terminal B for some time? 

Also, the M60 has an LGA airport bound destination code and a West Side bond destination code. When do they change the signs?

It's like the Chicago L having the Loop as a "terminal" The sign changes after the last stop before it enters LGA

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Do the drivers only terminate at the Grand Concourse? The map shows they also terminate on Sedgwick Ave so idk if that's accurate or outdated. 

I believe it does terminate there for now but it will become a circular as part of the Bronx redesign.

Edited by Around the Horn

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Does Highbridge circular counts- Bx18.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Do the drivers only terminate at the Grand Concourse? The map shows they also terminate on Sedgwick Ave so idk if that's accurate or outdated. 

15 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It's like the Chicago L having the Loop as a "terminal" The sign changes after the last stop before it enters LGA

I believe it does terminate there for now but it will become a circular as part of the Bronx redesign.

Buses terminate at Grand Concourse, but contrary to how timetables display the route map, there's no actual terminal/layover in the Highbridge area. If you look at the departure time for the Sedgwick Ave time point in in both directions, the times are exactly the same.

There are a few buses at night which terminate at River Park Towers, but only because they don't go back to Grand Concourse (because if they did, they would arrive after the last trip from GC).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven