BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Another question yall...what routes with a branch at the end do we have? Like the SIM30 having two southern terminals, the B41 having two eastern terminals, the Q1 having two northern terminals, etc. Any other routes like that? Not like the Q15/Q15A or M14A/M14D because those are two separate routes. 

The Q1 is definitely an east-west route (Both eastern terminals are actually a bit south of Jamaica).

In any case, offhand (in addition to the B17 as mentioned) there's the B38, S46/96 (I know some trips cover both the Teleport & West Shore Plaza, but most trips do one or the other).

If we're including mid-route branches (which it doesn't seem like you are, since you say end terminals), we can add the S51 & Q16.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Q30 (QCC & Little Neck).

Plus there's a few routes that have enough school trippers in both directions that you could almost consider it a separate terminal (e.g. S59 to/from Tottenville High School)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The Q1 is definitely an east-west route (Both eastern terminals are actually a bit south of Jamaica).

In any case, offhand (in addition to the B17 as mentioned) there's the B38, S46/96 (I know some trips cover both the Teleport & West Shore Plaza, but most trips do one or the other).

If we're including mid-route branches (which it doesn't seem like you are, since you say end terminals), we can add the S51 & Q16.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Q30 (QCC & Little Neck).

Plus there's a few routes that have enough school trippers in both directions that you could almost consider it a separate terminal (e.g. S59 to/from Tottenville High School)

Thanks so much man. And yes for BusTime purposes mid-route splits apply as well. I wasn't sure how to ask the question that's why I provided the example. I'm glad caught on...S51 and Q16 are also what I am looking for but I was so accustomed to it normally just being the terminal ends that branch. Whatever essentially causes the alternating routing on Bustime is what I'm looking for. B38 and Q30...yes thank you and S46...eh I'll include it for now. 

Yeah my mistake with the Q1, that was just me rushing. 

Did you notice they removed all school trippers off Bustime? I wonder why but idc the list of stops are bit more streamlined now than before. 

Just now, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Did you notice they removed all school trippers off Bustime? I wonder why but idc the list of stops are bit more streamlined now than before. 

This is something that may be done during the summer. Usually when the school is open the maps would reflect the trippers

14 minutes ago, 2Av said:

:bus_bullet_b1: Extension

New Stops

84 St & 4 Av

82 St & 4 Av

80 St & 4 Av

77 St & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b4:(R)

75 St & 4 Av

72 St & 4 Av

Bay Ridge Av & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b9::bus_bullet_b64:(R)

Senator St & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b9:

65 St & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b9:

62 St & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b9:

60 St & 4 Av :bus_bullet_b9:(N)(R)

That would be useless as the (R) is right below and the B37 is on the next block (3rd) and the B63 on the other next block (5th). 

On 7/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Another question yall...what routes with a branch at the end do we have? Like the SIM30 having two southern terminals, the B41 having two eastern terminals, the Q1 having two northern terminals, etc. Any other routes like that? Not like the Q15/Q15A or M14A/M14D because those are two separate routes. 

So basically you want routes that have branches that split off for separate terminals, that don't have suffixes to them... Is that the general idea?

I just skimmed through the past couple posts & of what I didn't see posted, off top, I got the Q46, Q85, & the B38...

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Since when do the Bergen Beach and Kings Plaza B41s have separate stops at the junction??? Could have been like this for years but today I just noticed this..

Hell, they've been separate for so long, I'm trying to remember when they were together/the same stop....

Now that you mention it, I'm trying to figure out when they swapped the Bergen Beach stop w/ the Kings Plaza one.... For the longest, the Bergen Beach stop was the most proximate to Av. H.... Now the Kings Plaza stop is at that corner....

On 7/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

One I haven't seen mentioned is the Q11. Also, since you mention branching somewhere between it's start and end points, the Q10 also applies.

Speaking of the Q10, is there any consistency of what bus does which routing from Kew Gardens? There's two routes leaving from the station:

1. Queens Blvd > 82nd Ave > Kew Gardens Road > Lefferts

2. 80 Road > Austin St > Lefferts 

I've seen buses do both, but I'm not sure if there's any pattern.

My neighbor today was telling me about a hellish ride he had on the Q46 with this lunatic B/O who screamed at everyone, nearly closed the door on some poor lady because she was in the middle of pulling up her mask sa she got on, and drove like nuts. I asked him "oh, so you reported the guy, right?" and he looked shocked and said "you can report that?". SMH, this is why bad behavior continues on the part of those bad apples B/Os who don't get consequences for their actions.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

One I haven't seen mentioned is the Q11. Also, since you mention branching somewhere between it's start and end points, the Q10 also applies.

Speaking of the Q10, is there any consistency of what bus does which routing from Kew Gardens? There's two routes leaving from the station:

1. Queens Blvd > 82nd Ave > Kew Gardens Road > Lefferts

2. 80 Road > Austin St > Lefferts 

I've seen buses do both, but I'm not sure if there's any pattern.

The only buses that are scheduled to leave from Queens Blvd are the short turns to 150th Street and to Rockaway Blvd. The buses that run all the way to JFK (local and limited) start along Kew Gardens Road.

People have been mentioning that #7851, Fresh Pond's pilot bus, does not have a farebox. Will this bus be in passenger service while testing or will it be like #6126, which never ran prior to the delivery of that bus order.

I'm aware that new buses don't arrive with fareboxes already installed; I'm wondering bc it has been mentioned multiple times that the vehicle still doesn't have one installed.

@XcelsiorBoii4888 I just realized, the Q5 can also be added (Rosedale LIRR vs. Green Acres Mall).

Also, technically, the Bx5 eastbound short-turn to Pugsley Avenue terminates at a stop that's not on the main Bx5 to Pelham Bay (it's parallel, a block away) but I don't think it's significant enough to count. The same with the M11 at Riverbank State Park vs. 133rd & Broadway (but those aren't simulaneous terminals, all daytime buses are scheduled to go into the park, while evening buses start at 133rd & Broadway)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I have a question regarding the back door mechanism of the recent blue and gold New Flyers that have been introduced (that is, the XDE40 production order):

Are they prepped for Bus Rapid Transit with all door boarding (with the back door Vapor modification)

or

Do they have the original Vapor Door LOCAL system where there is often a wait of maybe five seconds or so (the one that has been in use more for some reason on the Volvo NovaBus orders except for the 1200 grouping)?

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My neighbor today was telling me about a hellish ride he had on the Q46 with this lunatic B/O who screamed at everyone, nearly closed the door on some poor lady because she was in the middle of pulling up her mask sa she got on, and drove like nuts. I asked him "oh, so you reported the guy, right?" and he looked shocked and said "you can report that?". SMH, this is why bad behavior continues on the part of those bad apples B/Os who don't get consequences for their actions.

How about the b/o's that act like they're bulletproof; the ones that straight up tell you to go ahead & report them.... I've heard *you think you gonna get me fired; I got x years on the job* (or some variation of such a remark) aimed at a passenger that's threatened to report a driver on numerous occasions....

But yeah, I'd say a good percentage of the riding public is oblivious to quite a bit when it comes to things of the sort.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

How about the b/o's that act like they're bulletproof; the ones that straight up tell you to go ahead & report them.... I've heard *you think you gonna get me fired; I got x years on the job* (or some variation of such a remark) aimed at a passenger that's threatened to report a driver on numerous occasions....

But yeah, I'd say a good percentage of the riding public is oblivious to quite a bit when it comes to things of the sort.

I don't know how true it is, but it seems to be that the more seniority, perhaps the harder it is for them to be canned. Something else to consider. Sometimes the dispatchers or supervisors are friends with the drivers. It can work both ways.... If the dispatcher or supervisor doesn't like them, then it can go the other way too. There is that guy named "The Hat". He seems to be well known on the BxM4 and he goes out of his way to make their commutes a living hell. I don't know what the story is, but I believe something happened. I got him once years ago when I needed to be in Westchester. He drove so slow, stopped at green lights, etc. I got up to 242nd and Katonah shortly before the next scheduled bus, which was supposed to be 30 minutes away. Person was waiting to pick me up like 45 minutes after I should've been there to head up to Westchester. Once I saw that, I said forget this. Switched over to Metro-North.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know how true it is, but it seems to be that the more seniority, perhaps the harder it is for them to be canned. Something else to consider. Sometimes the dispatchers or supervisors are friends with the drivers. It can work both ways.... If the dispatcher or supervisor doesn't like them, then it can go the other way too. There is that guy named "The Hat". He seems to be well known on the BxM4 and he goes out of his way to make their commutes a living hell. I don't know what the story is, but I believe something happened. I got him once years ago when I needed to be in Westchester. He drove so slow, stopped at green lights, etc. I got up to 242nd and Katonah shortly before the next scheduled bus, which was supposed to be 30 minutes away. Person was waiting to pick me up like 45 minutes after I should've been there to head up to Westchester. Once I saw that, I said forget this. Switched over to Metro-North.

LMAO...I know all about the driving slow and stopping at green lights fiasco.....That pisses me off everytime i use the bus whether it be NJT or MTA....

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So basically you want routes that have branches that split off for separate terminals, that don't have suffixes to them... Is that the general idea?

I just skimmed through the past couple posts & of what I didn't see posted, off top, I got the Q46, Q85, & the B38...

Spot on! And I forgot about mid route splits as well so I'm looking for those as well. So for my original question I have: 

B17, B38, B41

S46/96, S51, SIM30

M11

Bx5

Q1, Q5, Q10, Q11, Q16, Q30, Q46, Q85

These are all routes with individual search functions (when I search Q1 I see everything that only the Q1 does) on Bustime that have multiple via routings or alternating/part time terminals. 

There might be more but I can't think of any for now. These are routes that don't have a standard route procedure for every bus (not including short turns, as those still use the same stops). 

17 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

LMAO...I know all about the driving slow and stopping at green lights fiasco.....That pisses me off everytime i use the bus whether it be NJT or MTA....

Drivers like that get bad karma thrown at them. What goes around comes back around, and I make it known if I get on their bus. 

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Spot on! And I forgot about mid route splits as well so I'm looking for those as well. So for my original question I have: 

B17, B38, B41

S46/96, S51, SIM30

M11

Bx5

Q1, Q5, Q10, Q11, Q16, Q30, Q46, Q85

These are all routes with individual search functions (when I search Q1 I see everything that only the Q1 does) on Bustime that have multiple via routings or alternating/part time terminals. 

There might be more but I can't think of any for now. These are routes that don't have a standard route procedure for every bus (not including short turns, as those still use the same stops). 

The Q4 technically falls under that too, since the LTD buses take a different routing in Jamaica than the locals (and one of the stops is separate from the local). The Q114 also falls under this scenario.

The Q36 also technically would fall under this, since buses to Little Neck branch off before reaching the Floral Park terminal. 

The Q83 also has the different LTD route path, and during late nights, it heads up to Queens Village instead of to Cambria Heights. 

The M15 local also has a branch to Cherry Street/South Street. 

The Q110 has a branch to/from 179 Street (F)

The Q47 has a part time stop at Bulova Corporate Center, but IDK if that would count, or simply be considered a mid-route diversion (since the route is slightly different for buses which serve the place). 

The Bx12 has the the seasonal branch to Orchard Beach. 

The Bx13 has a weekday AM branch to 3rd Avenue. 

The Bx28 at night operates through all of sections of Co-Op City (bypassing Asch Loop), while the daytime service operates via Asch Loop (bypassing the northern part of Co-Op City).

This is not the case anymore, but prior to SBS implementation, the M14A had a branch too (daytime buses went to Abingdon Square, nighttime/overnight buses went to Chelsea Piers). 

Also if we're going to reference express buses, the following have branches:

BxM1, BxM2, QM2, QM5, QM8, X68. 

If super expresses count, than the BxM3, BxM7, BxM11, BM1, BM3, BM4, and QM20 can be added as well. 

IDK if the BM2 would fall under this, since only Downtown buses operate to Spring Creek (make all midtown BM2 stops in Brooklyn as well). But when downtown buses operate, they don't have the exact same route as their Midtown counterparts in Brooklyn, and they have very different routes in Manhattan. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Q4 technically falls under that too, since the LTD buses take a different routing in Jamaica than the locals (and one of the stops is separate from the local). The Q114 also falls under this scenario.

The Q36 also technically would fall under this, since buses to Little Neck branch off before reaching the Floral Park terminal. 

The Q83 also has the different LTD route path, and during late nights, it heads up to Queens Village instead of to Cambria Heights. 

The M15 local also has a branch to Cherry Street/South Street. 

The Q110 has a branch to/from 179 Street (F)

The Q47 has a part time stop at Bulova Corporate Center, but IDK if that would count, or simply be considered a mid-route diversion (since the route is slightly different for buses which serve the place). 

The Bx12 has the the seasonal branch to Orchard Beach. 

The Bx13 has a weekday AM branch to 3rd Avenue. 

The Bx28 at night operates through all of sections of Co-Op City (bypassing Asch Loop), while the daytime service operates via Asch Loop (bypassing the northern part of Co-Op City).

This is not the case anymore, but prior to SBS implementation, the M14A had a branch too (daytime buses went to Abingdon Square, nighttime/overnight buses went to Chelsea Piers). 

Also if we're going to reference express buses, the following have branches:

BxM1, BxM2, QM2, QM5, QM8, X68. 

If super expresses count, than the BxM3, BxM7, BxM11, BM1, BM3, BM4, and QM20 can be added as well. 

IDK if the BM2 would fall under this, since only Downtown buses operate to Spring Creek (make all midtown BM2 stops in Brooklyn as well). But when downtown buses operate, they don't have the exact same route as their Midtown counterparts in Brooklyn, and they have very different routes in Manhattan. 

This is amazing! Thank you very very much! And yes all of these count, I appreciate it! The BM2 also counts because it alters between midtown and downtown. 

22 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This is amazing! Thank you very very much! And yes all of these count, I appreciate it! The BM2 also counts because it alters between midtown and downtown. 

In addition, the Q5 and 85 have branches as well. The B41 comes to mind too

On 3/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Apologies, you're absolutely correct. I always forget that north of Lindenwood - Eastwood Apartments is Cross Bay Blvd. I used to live out there. 

And the Q41 (and the Q21), except for the section of Lindenwood, also travel pretty much the entire length of Cross Bay Boulevard in Mainland Queens I believe (not counting the Q52 and Q53 Select Bus Service).