BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm noticing that the OMNY readers have a half second delay or so until the green screen appears, and in that time, people often start walking away. I've noticed it to be an issue if the card is not accepted (which happens pretty frequently, though I don't know if people are using bad cards or the readers are glitching), because people will already be looking/walking away and may not notice that it didn't go through (or pretend not to). With Metrocards, since there was a delay until the card is spit back at you, that was a little less likely to happen.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm noticing that the OMNY readers have a half second delay or so until the green screen appears, and in that time, people often start walking away. I've noticed it to be an issue if the card is not accepted (which happens pretty frequently, though I don't know if people are using bad cards or the readers are glitching), because people will already be looking/walking away and may not notice that it didn't go through (or pretend not to). With Metrocards, since there was a delay until the card is spit back at you, that was a little less likely to happen.

They are still God awful with phones, that's for sure. Chick got on before me earlier this week going home. Put her phone on the reader (not that that should be necessary - holding it over the reader is fine too, hence the term contactless). Twice... OMNY reader couldn't read her phone. I told her, "Come on let's go", and she got on the bus and just pulled out a Metrocard once she got settled. Some people may not have contactless cards, and if they don't, they that would explain why their cards don't work. It's amazing to me that people still don't get how to use OMNY. I've even seen people trying to "tap" their Metrocards. LOL The other thing people don't realize is, it doesn't matter which way you hold the card. I position my card so that my personal info cannot be seen when tapping on the express bus, unless the OMNY reader is positioned where only I can see the transaction, otherwise, I don't want the driver seeing my card info. All he or she needs to see is that the reader says "GO", so I have all of that down. I use the contactless feature everywhere, so I can play around with different ways of holding my contactless cards to hide my personal info while still allowing the reader to read the card.

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Shoddy shocks. AC sucks also.

The older buses feel more sturdy even though the suspension is loose. The A/C does pump low but the bus is still cool (I assume that's because there's always less than 10 people on the bus when I catch them). I wonder what the A/C is like on these when it's crowded and all that body heat is radiating. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:22 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There is that guy named "The Hat". He seems to be well known on the BxM4 and he goes out of his way to make their commutes a living hell. I don't know what the story is, but I believe something happened. I got him once years ago when I needed to be in Westchester. He drove so slow, stopped at green lights, etc. I got up to 242nd and Katonah shortly before the next scheduled bus, which was supposed to be 30 minutes away. Person was waiting to pick me up like 45 minutes after I should've been there to head up to Westchester. Once I saw that, I said forget this. Switched over to Metro-North.

lol, I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting him. All the Yonkers B/O's I've had to this point drive pretty decently; and I've been rotating between three different routes at all random times since last year.

I don't know how true it is, but it seems to be that the more seniority, perhaps the harder it is for them to be canned. Something else to consider. Sometimes the dispatchers or supervisors are friends with the drivers. It can work both ways.... If the dispatcher or supervisor doesn't like them, then it can go the other way too. There is that guy named "The Hat". He seems to be well known on the BxM4 and he goes out of his way to make their commutes a living hell. I don't know what the story is, but I believe something happened. I got him once years ago when I needed to be in Westchester. He drove so slow, stopped at green lights, etc. I got up to 242nd and Katonah shortly before the next scheduled bus, which was supposed to be 30 minutes away. Person was waiting to pick me up like 45 minutes after I should've been there to head up to Westchester. Once I saw that, I said forget this. Switched over to Metro-North.

Hey, that wasn't me. I used do the super express over 10 years ago & I made the trip from end to end in 39 minutes. You are talking about "Tank", You need to be better at claiming what people do, especially when anyone can tell you, I've never done anything like that my entire career. You see you've gone out of your way to avoid me, even though I wanted to HELP fix or at least obstruct what the MTA was doing to the former LLE routes & service. I now (I'm retired) can say, I offered you internal documents & to meet you with them as far back as 2008. I don't know where you get the impression that I was that B/O, when I know who & what you look like, but apparently don't know me even after I gave you a very CLEAR description & my paddle. Thanks for slandering me...

I don't know how true it is, but it seems to be that the more seniority, perhaps the harder it is for them to be canned. Something else to consider. Sometimes the dispatchers or supervisors are friends with the drivers. It can work both ways.... If the dispatcher or supervisor doesn't like them, then it can go the other way too. There is that guy named "The Hat". He seems to be well known on the BxM4 and he goes out of his way to make their commutes a living hell. I don't know what the story is, but I believe something happened. I got him once years ago when I needed to be in Westchester. He drove so slow, stopped at green lights, etc. I got up to 242nd and Katonah shortly before the next scheduled bus, which was supposed to be 30 minutes away. Person was waiting to pick me up like 45 minutes after I should've been there to head up to Westchester. Once I saw that, I said forget this. Switched over to Metro-North.

See, and this is exactly what I meant about you getting the wrong people in trouble. At least do your research before you slander someone's name with accusations like that, which me and MULTIPLE other people have told you to stop doing.

2 hours ago, TheHat said:

Hey, that wasn't me. I used do the super express over 10 years ago & I made the trip from end to end in 39 minutes. You are talking about "Tank", You need to be better at claiming what people do, especially when anyone can tell you, I've never done anything like that my entire career. You see you've gone out of your way to avoid me, even though I wanted to HELP fix or at least obstruct what the MTA was doing to the former LLE routes & service. I now (I'm retired) can say, I offered you internal documents & to meet you with them as far back as 2008. I don't know where you get the impression that I was that B/O, when I know who & what you look like, but apparently don't know me even after I gave you a very CLEAR description & my paddle. Thanks for slandering me...

I recall no such conversation about any paddles going back to 2008 with you or even after that, as I wasn't taking any Bronx express bus until after that so perhaps you have me mistaken as well, but I do recall a conversation on here about such behavior that I described above, that is a driver deliberately screwing over passengers. There was a long conversation about it right here in this forum. Was it you describing Tank under your handle? Maybe that's the confusion. If so, I'm man enough to own my mistake for something that was discussed on here some years ago, just as you appear to be mistaken about me, but to be clear, this incident DID happen, so I'm definitely not mistaken by that.  If it wasn't you, then how would I be going out of my way to avoid you? LOL I'm confused as hell.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

See, and this is exactly what I meant about you getting the wrong people in trouble. At least do your research before you slander someone's name with accusations like that, which me and MULTIPLE other people have told you to stop doing.

LOL. You're doing the same thing right now... You have no proof that anyone got anyone in trouble yet you INSIST on continuing with that. All I said was that people AVOIDED his bus, which IS true, myself included. No one ever did anything officially, at least not me anyway, and last I checked, I'm entitled to travel as I so please. Just because someone gives their opinion on something does not mean that anyone is in trouble, but you assume that to be the case. Passengers have a right if they so feel to do as they wish, and so on that end, it is what it is. I don't control other people. I only control what I do. If I file any formal complaints, rest assured that I have the correct info. If another passenger makes a claim, they are free to file their OWN complaints, but regardless, who are you to tell anyone what they can and can't do? The hypocrisy is hilarious. You've had your own incidents where you have b*tched about being wronged by drivers, which could've landed them in hot water if we're really making that argument, and have expected people to support you, but other passengers aren't allowed to do the same. Please. It's only OK if YOU do it, but no one else is supposed to.

Don't expect me to ever support you in such instances going forward. When you were supposedly getting bypassed, it was ME that went to bat for you and supported you and made sure your stop situation was fixed, and NO driver was implicated in anything either to be clear officially or unofficially, but how quickly we forget, and now here you are throwing in your two cents when you weren't there. All I did in that instance was get your stop fixed, PERIOD. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I recall no such conversation about any paddles going back to 2008 with you or even after that, as I wasn't taking any Bronx express bus until after that so perhaps you have me mistaken as well, but I do recall a conversation on here about such behavior that I described above, that is a driver deliberately screwing over passengers. There was a long conversation about it right here in this forum. Was it you describing Tank under your handle? Maybe that's the confusion. If so, I'm man enough to own my mistake for something that was discussed on here some years ago, just as you appear to be mistaken about me, but to be clear, this incident DID happen, so I'm definitely not mistaken by that.  If it wasn't you, then how would I be going out of my way to avoid you? LOL I'm confused as hell.

LOL. You're doing the same thing right now... You have no proof that anyone got anyone in trouble yet you INSIST on continuing with that. All I said was that people AVOIDED his bus, which IS true, myself included. No one ever did anything officially, at least not me anyway, and last I checked, I'm entitled to travel as I so please. Just because someone gives their opinion on something does not mean that anyone is in trouble, but you assume that to be the case. Passengers have a right if they so feel to do as they wish, and so on that end, it is what it is. I don't control other people. I only control what I do. If I file any formal complaints, rest assured that I have the correct info. If another passenger makes a claim, they are free to file their OWN complaints, but regardless, who are you to tell anyone what they can and can't do? The hypocrisy is hilarious. You've had your own incidents where you have b*tched about being wronged by drivers, which could've landed them in hot water if we're really making that argument, and have expected people to support you, but other passengers aren't allowed to do the same. Please. It's only OK if YOU do it, but no one else is supposed to.

Don't expect me to ever support you in such instances going forward. When you were supposedly getting bypassed, it was ME that went to bat for you and supported you and made sure your stop situation was fixed, and NO driver was implicated in anything either to be clear officially or unofficially, but how quickly we forget, and now here you are throwing in your two cents when you weren't there. All I did in that instance was get your stop fixed, PERIOD. 

Honestly, just forget it. You do your own thing. I'm to old for this bickering.

Edited by Lawrence St

I remember TheHat on the boards. He's definitely not the "torture the pax" type of dude. He was especially helpful during the merger period.

Brooklyn67 might have retired by now as well. I loved his feedback on the boards. If you asked a good question, you got a good answer. If you tried to troll him, you got served. :D

46 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

If only our XN60s were anything like LACMTA's XN60s. LA always has the most fun buses in the country since they gear them for speed, but goddamn, their XN60s absolutely fly. New Flyer makes some crazy good stuff if you let them...

I actually like our XN60s to be honest.....our XD60s on the other hand, only 5364-5438 lol.

WMATA's XD60s are absolute rockets and sound WAY better than ours.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I actually like our XN60s to be honest.....our XD60s on the other hand, only 5364-5438 lol.

WMATA's XD60s are absolute rockets and sound WAY better than ours.

I miss the 4700's XD60s. I'll always have a soft spot for them as they took a beating but kept on rolling while they were in the Bronx. Better A/C than the LFSA's that came to the Bronx around that time also.

I hope Brooklyn is treating them well...

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

If only our XN60s were anything like LACMTA's XN60s. LA always has the most fun buses in the country since they gear them for speed, but goddamn, their XN60s absolutely fly. New Flyer makes some crazy good stuff if you let them...

They sure do! I like almost the entire LACMTA fleet, even their NABI 60-BRT CNGs. And the way LACMTA set up their XE60s on the Orange Line is what made me like the XE60s, because between the MTA and those M14 drivers, I wasn't feeling them. 

Check out this XE60 absolutely HAULING on the Orange Line! Nahh check out this XE60 actually HAULING. Between quick acceleration and top speed these buses are ELITE. 

Also here's a throwback video of when I first was getting into LACMTA and came across this video. This is when I was like yeah they ABSOLUTELY HAUL out there in LA. And those NABI CNGs have some crazy sound effects. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They sure do! I like almost the entire LACMTA fleet, even their NABI 60-BRT CNGs. And the way LACMTA set up their XE60s on the Orange Line is what made me like the XE60s, because between the MTA and those M14 drivers, I wasn't feeling them. 

Check out this XE60 absolutely HAULING on the Orange Line! Nahh check out this XE60 actually HAULING. Between quick acceleration and top speed these buses are ELITE. 

Also here's a throwback video of when I first was getting into LACMTA and came across this video. This is when I was like yeah they ABSOLUTELY HAUL out there in LA. And those NABI CNGs have some crazy sound effects. 

That's what happens when (MTA) governs every dam thing they buy.

There are times I be coming home from Lake George on I-87 and see the new Nova HEV units absolutely FLY down the interstate at 65-75 MPH.

That being said, where the hell do they even charge the XE60's without the charging bay like at Williamsburg Bridge Plz?

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

That's what happens when (MTA) governs every dam thing they buy.

There are times I be coming home from Lake George on I-87 and see the new Nova HEV units absolutely FLY down the interstate at 65-75 MPH.

That being said, where the hell do they even charge the XE60's without the charging bay like at Williamsburg Bridge Plz?

That's true, but even so I understand the congestion in the city but it's really vision zero that changed the driving culture at the MTA. They essentially promote that you can drive as slow as possible in the name of safety and screw up schedules and still be paid (and even paid extra if you're late at the end of the day), so it's like why haul safely if it's not appreciated when you can drive slow, maybe blow a trip, get put in place, and still get paid. A supervisor told me the MTA is not designed to be a reliable and perfect system because then there wouldn't be as many jobs and the union is very strong and they're about having as many jobs as possible available. If everything is fixed and perfect then about 20% of its employees would be not needed.

As for the XE60s, they last throughout the day so they only need to charge them in the depot. When the electrics become more common they'll install on the route chargers in the layover spots to keep the buses charged throughout the day. I'm curious to how they plan on calculating layover charging (between a driver coming back late, the various layover/swing times). Makes me wonder if certain runs will use electric buses and they'll have a paddle note for the drivers to charge during this time period (if the layovers are 15 or more minutes).