BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

A Gun Hill bus filling in on the Bx32... Yes it's legit, saw it myself.

unknown.png?width=1249&height=670

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Was there some special event this morning in Midtown? Took the express bus in, and as we approached 5th & 56th, two young guys were running around with cameras taking shots of I'm not sure what, but I guessed perhaps buses.  I think the people around them were as confused as I was. lol

5th and 56th, eh?

That block's always been a hotspot for one reason or another lol

Edited by paulrivera

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

A Gun Hill bus filling in on the Bx32... Yes it's legit, saw it myself.

unknown.png?width=1249&height=670

5th and 56th, eh?

That block's always been a hotspot for one reason or another lol

Yeah, it looked like bus fans taking shots with their fancy cameras. I don't normally take the BxM18 in the morning (still working from home), but I wanted breakfast in the Flatiron this morning, so I got the last one down there.

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, it looked like bus fans taking shots with their fancy cameras. I don't normally take the BxM18 in the morning (still working from home), but I wanted breakfast in the Flatiron this morning, so I got the last one down there.

Buses from the three ongoing orders past though 5th ave, Nova hybrids (MTV routes) XDE40s (M1) and the new Prevosts on the ECH routes. If buses from those orders were in the area at the time maybe that's what they were photographing.

With that being said, I rarely ever see buffs with actual cameras these days, most of the time they use their phone for photos & videos. Years ago fanners ethier had an DSLR or a mid level point and shoot. I thought most buffs would perfer real cameras over phones for the higher quality footage. 

Edited by trainfan22

30 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Buses from the three ongoing orders past though 5th ave, Nova hybrids (MTV routes) XDE40s (M1) and the new Prevosts on the ECH routes. If buses from those orders were in the area at the time maybe that's what they were photographing.

With that being said, I rarely ever see buffs with actual cameras these days, most of the time they use their phone for photos & videos. Years ago fanners ethier had an DSLR or a mid level point and shoot. I thought most buffs would perfer real cameras over phones for the higher quality footage. 

I see... Yeah these guys had actual cameras... Bless their souls. This was around 8:30 or so I think maybe 9 at the latest. I hadn't had my espresso yet, so wasn't quite up to snuff yet. lol

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's lots of variety within just 4 square blocks of 57th/5th... the QM's on 6th, the SIM's on 6th and 5th, the BxM's and BM's on 5th and Madison, and a dozen local routes. Add the local bus fleet transitioning from Orion hybrids to Novas and the MCIs transitioning to Prevosts on the express bus side and you have a busfanning gold mine.

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I see... Yeah these guys had actual cameras... Bless their souls. This was around 8:30 or so I think maybe 9 at the latest. I hadn't had my espresso yet, so wasn't quite up to snuff yet. lol

20 hours ago, paulrivera said:

There's lots of variety within just 4 square blocks of 57th/5th... the QM's on 6th, the SIM's on 6th and 5th, the BxM's and BM's on 5th and Madison, and a dozen local routes. Add the local bus fleet transitioning from Orion hybrids to Novas and the MCIs transitioning to Prevosts on the express bus side and you have a busfanning gold mine.

Just a few mins ago, I passed a group of teens taking pics of the M96/106 at the West End Ave terminal, not sure if it's anyone on here.

Rode an ex SI NG on the M104 today, it seemed to be in decent shape, I always thought those ex SI NGs would be beat to a plup + running damn near the entire length of Manhattan on those long MTV routes for a few months now would make things worse.

With NGs already being sent to ECH scrap I wonder what the future holds for those 4200s that came from SI, scrap or sent to another depot, the milage on those buses gotta be sky high at this point.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Rode an ex SI NG on the M104 today, it seemed to be in decent shape, I always thought those ex SI NGs would be beat to a plup + running damn near the entire length of Manhattan on those long MTV routes for a few months now would make things worse.

With NGs already being sent to ECH scrap I wonder what the future holds for those 4200s that came from SI, scrap or sent to another depot, the milage on those buses gotta be sky high at this point.

Might be a possibility that some of those buses may head Brooklyn bound for a bit before hitting the scrap yard..  If not, those 42xx are definitely hitting the scrap yard.

East New York just got rid of 3968, 4538.

Fresh Pond: 3989.

So my guess is along with the XD40 delivery, some NG's will hit the Brooklyn Division as replacements.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Might be a possibility that some of those buses may head Brooklyn bound for a bit before hitting the scrap yard..  If not, those 42xx are definitely hitting the scrap yard.

East New York just got rid of 3968, 4538.

Fresh Pond: 3989.

So my guess is along with the XD40 delivery, some NG's will hit the Brooklyn Division as replacements.

Brooklyn isn't getting more Next gens in return there trying to push them out or have them retire if they get some from a different  Depot it would be for mileage  purposes or for a bus they lost to another Depot as a replacement. 

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What's up yall. Quick question...do all subway lines have an official shuttle bus routing from terminal to terminal? Or are they custom? 

Trying to put together a map of all part-time shuttle bus routes in the city. 

It seems like a mix, some are set (like the 2/3 shuttle), while some could be random.

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What's up yall. Quick question...do all subway lines have an official shuttle bus routing from terminal to terminal? Or are they custom? 

Not exactly sure, but I'm inclined to believe they're custom... I've seen the (Q) shuttles do different things over the years.

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bit of both. Like for the 1 train shuttle in the city, it's obvious that they're gonna use Broadway uptown. But sometimes, they have to change the routing to account for parking situations, driving conditions, turnarounds, etc.

I've done the N train shuttle between Astoria and Queensboro twice and they were different routes each time.

51323958226_231425c7fe_c.jpgCurrent wrap campaigns for July: 

Manhattan Division: MQ/MHV/MCH/TU

Brooklyn Division: FB/GA/FP/EN/JG/UP

51323215987_7d0b8d75d6_c.jpg

Manhattan Division: MQ/TU/MCH/MHV

Brooklyn Division:  FB/GA/EN/JG/UP/FP

I wonder what’s gonna happen once most of the NG’s are gone. Hopefully, (MTA) will start wrapping the XD40’s at least the blue and white. Can’t see Outfront Media purchasing spaces for the newer buses just for now.  

4 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The Bronx bound cancels is what it is, but the 2 Manhattan bound cancels in a row are no bueno. Cant defend a near 2 hour gap

image0.png

I spoke with the (MTA) last week about the cancellations. The good news is they are combing the lists to get drivers. The bad news is it will take into the Fall to remedy this mess on the express bus end. In analyzing service, there are some express bus lines seeing fewer cancelled trips overall compared to several weeks ago. Eastchester Depot is one of the large express bus depots and they are getting drivers, but slowly. I have been trying to keep an eye on huge gaps and note them so that they don't keep happening, and they try to fill them with OT, but there are still many slots open.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In analyzing service, there are some express bus lines seeing fewer cancelled trips overall compared to several weeks ago.

I haven’t seen a single BxM3 trip cancelled in the last week and a half. Slowly but surely they have been making ground indeed.

19 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The driver shortage is real.  4 cancellations Bronx bound.  That 6PM co-op city bound bus is gonna be extra crowded. 

The BxM7 normally runs like every 8-10 minutes during rush hour. At least the wait times during that hour aren’t so bad if every third bus ends up missing.

53 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The BxM7 normally runs like every 8-10 minutes during rush hour. At least the wait times during that hour aren’t so bad if every third bus ends up missing.

You know what.. That isn't too bad only b/c we are still technically in a pandemic.. However, let this be regular times. It's a whole different ballgame.

Just now, paulrivera said:

Wait until September when more offices start opening up...

Full agreement on this one.. I say between September 13th and September 30th. Some of the issues will be addressed. 

If I'm not mistaken fall pick is in September. Don't know actual date or what changes can be expected.