BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, paulrivera said:

Wait until September when more offices start opening up...

Full agreement on this one.. I say between September 13th and September 30th. Some of the issues will be addressed. 

If I'm not mistaken fall pick is in September. Don't know actual date or what changes can be expected.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

I haven’t seen a single BxM3 trip cancelled in the last week and a half. Slowly but surely they have been making ground indeed.

The BxM7 normally runs like every 8-10 minutes during rush hour. At least the wait times during that hour aren’t so bad if every third bus ends up missing.

Outside of Staten Island, Eastchester Depot is seeing the majority of the cancelled trips now and Spring Creek as well, though Spring Creek has seen fewer cancellations over the last several days. The other depots with express service are generally ok. I am also looking into the tracking issues. There are a lot of BM express buses not tracking and I have to send over examples for them to dig into. Staten Island also has been having issues. It may be the equipment or just general dead spots.

One other rumor swirling around now is that the (MTA) wants to cut express bus service by 40%. I have not heard about such cuts. The only thing I've heard officially is that cuts may come in 2023, but this rumor above seems to imply service cuts sooner than that. Awaiting verification.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, NBTA said:

Interestingly enough, 0020 is on the B57, so the Proterras are still around.

I actually rode this bus on the same route about an hour ago. I'm not sure which Proterras remain active, but they probably won't be around much longer. I wish NYCT could purchase these five buses.

1 hour ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

Question, why do some C40LFs make a squealing sound? I noticed when I used to take the Bx21 it would be 50/50 chance if it would do that or not. I also ridden a bus where the noise cut out suddenly and then came back a few minutes later.

I'm wondering the same thing but with the XN40s...and instead of a squealing sound, it's more like a ringing sound (like the Orion V CNGs).

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One other rumor swirling around now is that the (MTA) wants to cut express bus service by 40%. I have not heard about such cuts. The only thing I've heard officially is that cuts may come in 2023, but this rumor above seems to imply service cuts sooner than that. Awaiting verification.

That may be the 2019 express bus reduction plan that was put on the shelf. That plan called for a headcount reduction of around 200 positions (1/2 at NYCT, 1/2 at MTAB). 

40% is the right number for September. However, I think the MTA will have to do a general restructuring of how it operates express bus service. For starters, they will need a Monday-Thursday schedule and a Friday schedule. The Friday schedule becomes the "adjusted weekday" schedule for working holidays as well as the last week of December. Most routes would run every 15/20/30 minutes on Fridays.

Amazon should get reverse peak express bus service to major transportation hubs. The buses are deadheading anyway. The cost to try it is very low.

The MTA should seriously consider an express bus fare reduction, especially outside of rush hour. I think the appropriate off-peak fare is $4-5 each way. The appropriate rush hour fare is $5-6 each way. I think a lot of municipal and hospital workers would return to the buses at a lower price point. $6.75 is a lot to ask each way. Perhaps the MTA can offer a 20 trip Express Bus Flex pass for $100 that expires 30 days after purchase.

4 hours ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

Question, why do some C40LFs make a squealing sound? I noticed when I used to take the Bx21 it would be 50/50 chance if it would do that or not. I also ridden a bus where the noise cut out suddenly and then came back a few minutes later.

I believe others have posted that that noise is generally a malfunctioning fan belt that makes it sound like the whole engine is about to explode lol

My QM1 this afternoon had a B/O doing line training, so that's a good sign. Actually made me wonder...the B/O who sits next to the trainee and teaches him, is that just the regular B/O who would normally be doing that run, or are certain B/O's assigned to be line teachers?

9 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My QM1 this afternoon had a B/O doing line training, so that's a good sign. Actually made me wonder...the B/O who sits next to the trainee and teaches him, is that just the regular B/O who would normally be doing that run, or are certain B/O's assigned to be line teachers?

Yes and yes. So not all BO can be line trainers. They have to go through training from Zerega before they can be and they must have a daytime run. And yes they would train on whatever run they normally work for that pick. 

8 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I'm wondering the same thing but with the XN40s...and instead of a squealing sound, it's more like a ringing sound (like the Orion V CNGs).

Some of them are prone to doing that on acceleration

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That depends, sometimes you might not get the driver who holds that run and may just be filling in. Had that happen about three times during my line training. It does require extra certification to line train student operators but it pays a little extra when they do get assigned a student.

9 hours ago, JAzumah said:

That may be the 2019 express bus reduction plan that was put on the shelf. That plan called for a headcount reduction of around 200 positions (1/2 at NYCT, 1/2 at MTAB). 

40% is the right number for September. However, I think the MTA will have to do a general restructuring of how it operates express bus service. For starters, they will need a Monday-Thursday schedule and a Friday schedule. The Friday schedule becomes the "adjusted weekday" schedule for working holidays as well as the last week of December. Most routes would run every 15/20/30 minutes on Fridays.

Amazon should get reverse peak express bus service to major transportation hubs. The buses are deadheading anyway. The cost to try it is very low.

The MTA should seriously consider an express bus fare reduction, especially outside of rush hour. I think the appropriate off-peak fare is $4-5 each way. The appropriate rush hour fare is $5-6 each way. I think a lot of municipal and hospital workers would return to the buses at a lower price point. $6.75 is a lot to ask each way. Perhaps the MTA can offer a 20 trip Express Bus Flex pass for $100 that expires 30 days after purchase.

We've already spoken with them about the fare. Circulated a petition and sent the petition to Gov. Cuomo. For now, no changes with the fare will happen. 

12 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Yes and yes. So not all BO can be line trainers. They have to go through training from Zerega before they can be and they must have a daytime run. And yes they would train on whatever run they normally work for that pick. 

Thanks, that's so interesting! Yeah, some of these guys don't seem like they would be good teachers LOL

8 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Some of them are prone to doing that on acceleration

That depends, sometimes you might not get the driver who holds that run and may just be filling in. Had that happen about three times during my line training. It does require extra certification to line train student operators but it pays a little extra when they do get assigned a student.

Thanks, that's so interesting! Yeah, some of these guys don't seem like they would be good teachers LOL

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

There's a bus at Manhattanville (4348) that still has a Kingsbridge logo...
Ik Manhattanville is known for being slow on slapping decals on their buses, but this bus has been there for at least two years now lol.

Depot decal fell off. The unit did have MHV decals on both sides ever since it left The Bronx. Its common for decals to be placed on top of each other only for the new one to fall off.