BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Oh, so then I can imagine buses that have been all over the city having many stickers overlapping each other lmao. Now that you mention it, I think there was a NG from Yukon that was transferred to Manhattanville that still had a Castleton logo underneath... 😂

I think that was 4260. I saw it with a Manhattanville sticker in February 2020, then with a Castleton sticker in June 2020. 

Edit: I also recall D4500 2895 having portions of an Ulmer Park, a Meredith, and a Castleton sticker. 

Edited by 1train2255railfan

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

I've heard stories of the senior operators taking a literal backseat while the student drives the route if they are comfortable enough LOL

when i was line training on the B7 (at East NY) dude fell asleep for an entire southbound trip to Midwood... like snoring/knocked out sleep (on a 86xx RTS to be exact)

matter fact, i had a few B/O's pass out on me... hella comfortable, i guess. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

7 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

So there's a "9863" tracking on the M2 on BusTime. Does anyone know what unit is really there on that route?

9863 is part of the option order for the Novabus LFS HEVs, so I wonder if that's the bus that's in service. It could also be 9763.

There was a "9999" tracking on the M11 earlier in the morning.

Edited by Snorunts

ENY gotta be short on operators today as there's only four buses on the B42 right now in the middle of rush hour, usually during rush hour theres more buses than that on the line. There was a large gap in service too, had to wait like 20 minutes for a bus.

No mention of this on NYCT Bus but service advisory like this probably slip though the cracks from time to time.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, Snorunts said:

9863 is part of the option order for the Novabus LFS HEVs, so I wonder if that's the bus that's in service. It could also be 9763.

There was a "9999" tracking on the M11 earlier in the morning.

9863 is not even built yet.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:14 AM, MTADieselBuses said:

https://streamable.com/zgmq7h

Listen to that engine just roaring

That aint the engine, that's the HVAC that's making most of that noise.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, 1train2255railfan said:

It could be 9763. If that is the case, that unit was recently delivered to Manhattanville. 

9763 is still in New Jersey.

It's just one of your typical bustime errors.

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

ENY gotta be short on operators today as there's only four buses on the B42 right now in the middle of rush hour, usually during rush hour theres more buses than that on the line. There was a large gap in service too, had to wait like 20 minutes for a bus.

No mention of this on NYCT Bus but service advisory like this probably slip though the cracks from time to time.

It didn't slip through the cracks. If you notice, they are announcing the express bus cancellations because I pushed for that. On the local side, they would have to be asked to do that, and even then, they may not have enough personnel for that. I have been pushing for Staten Island to have that for the express buses, but I've been told they are too short on staff to do that. I took a look at the B42 schedule now. Says every 5-6 minutes in one direction. Definitely some buses missing.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

9863 is not even built yet.

That aint the engine, that's the HVAC that's making most of that noise.

9763 is still in New Jersey.

It's just one of your typical bustime errors.

Have any buses in that option order been built yet? And while we're on the topic, are any 2021 Allison XDE40s at the JFK vendor (or anywhere on MTA property?

2 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Why would you have to tap on a free bus?? You just get on like any other Subway Shuttle.

I'm confused as to why it even says "Shuttle Bus" on the reader and not something "Not In Service" or whatever. Believe it or not, many riders are insanely confused with the OMNY readers and will try to tap with their Metrocard. I have seen this more times than I can count. LOL To me it seems like it would make more sense to disable them to avoid people doing that and also holding up service.  How many times have you seen people run for an SBS bus and get on at the front to dip their Metrocard when you are supposed to pay at the kiosk outside? 

I see a little bit of everything these days. There seems to be a lot of tourists, but also new riders boarding these buses that haven't a clue of how anything works.

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Does anybody have to tap or do you just get on like before?

8 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Why would you have to tap on a free bus?? You just get on like any other Subway Shuttle.

Yup, you just get right on. It's a permanent green "go" screen, so even if you did tap your card onto the reader, it's not going to charge you as long as the bus is programmed for SUBWAY SHUTTLE or any other shuttle bus reading.

Just now, paulrivera said:

Yup, you just get right on. It's a permanent green "go" screen, so even if you did tap your card onto the reader, it's not going to charge you as long as the bus is programmed for SUBWAY SHUTTLE or any other shuttle bus reading.

That's one reason I also asked because a lot of people in my group have been complaining about being double charged - that is they pay with a Metrocard, then get charged also by OMNY because their phone or contactless cards are too close to the OMNY reader. Glad that they disabled it in this case.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's one reason I also asked because a lot of people in my group have been complaining about being double charged - that is they pay with a Metrocard, then get charged also by OMNY because their phone or contactless cards are too close to the OMNY reader. Glad that they disabled it in this case.

Interesting--I guess they need to make the sensor a little less sensitive or something

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interesting--I guess they need to make the sensor a little less sensitive or something

I personally have the NFC on my phone turned off until the bus arrives. As for the credit cards, I’m guessing that those affected are people that use their phone cases as wallets. I’ve seen people that have those case-wallet hybrids with cards that are exposed.

6 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I personally have the NFC on my phone turned off until the bus arrives. As for the credit cards, I’m guessing that those affected are people that use their phone cases as wallets. I’ve seen people that have those case-wallet hybrids with cards that are exposed.

That's exactly what's going on. Pple think the machine is supposed to know what card you want to use when you have multiple cards on top of each other. 

People create their own problems that's why I pay them no mind. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That's exactly what's going on. Pple think the machine is supposed to know what card you want to use when you have multiple cards on top of each other. 

People create their own problems that's why I pay them no mind. 

It's actually been a problem, even for some B/Os that are just driving. At the very beginning, they were being charged too. lol They had to adjust the range of the OMNY readers a bit, and it's still a problem. What I do is my phone is set up so that my mobile wallet can only work if the phone is unlocked, and I keep my wallet away from any of the readers, but some of the readers can have the range set too far.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8