BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Its most likely just to keep articulated units on the route, just like the Bx15 right now.

Part of this tells me that M125 might be Kingsbridge based versus West Farms based. Although, this is early but this talk of the Bx35 going to Kingsbridge doesn't make sense and that should stay with West Farms. I think some M125 trips should go thru Manhattanville to provide coverage. However, like you said it's to match up with the Bx15.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The M1 "GRANT ST" typo has been corrected in the code. I'd bet there are one or two XDE40s not yet updated, but they're going through them. 

I peeped that yesterday while going down 5th. I still say they should've had the old Grand Street code that was first there that was double spaced.

There's something to be said when a route that runs on 30 min. headways all day is significantly reliable than a route that's set to run about every 10-12 mins. on weekends... When I got off the (7) earlier, I walked right over from Court Sq. to the 1st stop of the B32 (and didn't even think about taking the B62).... Shame what's happened to the latter route :(

Edited by B35 via Church

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Any word on how Henri is going to affect buses tomorrow? The storm surge levels, even for New York Harbor, are concerning enough to give me minor flashbacks to Sandy. I wonder if they will be closing the flood doors to the QMT, etc

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't said anything about travel in areas such as the Rockaways (both subway and bus). I guess everything's normal unless otherwise stated. 

This detour occurred earlier:

For those who aren't aware, 8A is the exit from I-95 to Westchester Ave that all the buses (plus Bee Line's route 45) take to serve Pelham Bay Park from Co-Op City. With all routes, but the Bx23 and Q50 in particular, man was this such an unnecessary detour (other posts list the Bx23). There also wasn't a map done to show the detour, like they typically do for most other detours (because it would looks so confusing and redundant. 

A much simpler detour would have been Bartow > Gunther > Stillwell > Pelham Parkway > Burr Ave, and then arrive at Pelham Bay Park (6) . Or if they really needed to serve to Edson Ave / Bartow Ave stop, but then take major streets as much as possible, they could have done Edson > Gun Hill > Allerton > Eastchester > Pelham Pkwy > Burr, and hit Pelham Bay Park (6) . 

Also in the process, at least for the Bx5, I would have just suspended service north of Pelham Bay Park in both directions (given how mall ridership was likely affected). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Also in the process, at least for the Bx5, I would have just suspended service north of Pelham Bay Park in both directions (given how mall ridership was likely affected). 

What mall ridership on the Bx5? Everyone takes the Bx12 (unless the 12 hasn't shown up at Bay Plaza in a while, in that case people take the 5 to PBP and wait for the first 12 that shows up there.)

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

What mall ridership on the Bx5? Everyone takes the Bx12 (unless the 12 hasn't shown up at Bay Plaza in a while, in that case people take the 5 to PBP and wait for the first 12 that shows up there.)

I was referring to mall ridership in general (not just the Bx5) hence why I said "at least". I personally wouldn't have bothered with such a detour for that route. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Has anyone been seeing issues regarding the new LFS Hybrids lately? Today I rode on my first LFS HEV, #9763 from MV, and while the bus sounds amazing, and was really smooth, the ViaNova displays we're off, but the announcements we're heard. This has to do with the multiple issues with these buses when it comes to the displays.

1 minute ago, RSMG106 said:

Has anyone been seeing issues regarding the new LFS Hybrids lately? Today I rode on my first LFS HEV, #9763 from MV, and while the bus sounds amazing, and was really smooth, the ViaNova displays we're off, but the announcements we're heard. This has to do with the multiple issues with these buses when it comes to the displays.

That is a common issue for any bus model.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The C40 I'm on just shut off by itself without the op doing anything, op restarted the bus, and went on it's way like nothing happened. 

So what causes a bus to shut off by itself? 

Most of the buses besides the Orion Hybrids has an auto shut off if the bus idles for 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Most of the buses besides the Orion Hybrids has an auto shut off if the bus idles for 15 minutes.

I did not know that. But in this case the bus was traveling along its route and made an routine stop then it just shut off. After that it was fine the rest of the time I was on the bus.

Edited by trainfan22

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

8660 has rear panels from the older LFS buses and they didn't even bother painting them.

That's normal on most 2019 LFSs with replacement panels because they get them in white in case they also need to replace panels on the older 2015-16 LFSs

Today was hot as hell, anyway I had some time to kill until the sun went down a bit and rode some buses to kill time and cool down. Got on the B25 at almost the first stop and planned to get off at Broadway Junction, which minimized my exposure to any possible F***ery on that route.... and it turned out to be an excellent ride! Bus was fairly empty the whole trip, op drove slow to avoid running hot and STILL traveled from Downtown BK to Broadway Junction in 40 minutes! Smooth sailing. Bus was also a Cuomo New Flyer which had excellent A/C. 

Also if you're fanning on a hot day avoid routes with 40FT diesel Novas, trash A/C and rear seats get hot like they did on Detroit Diesel powered buses. Well in BX and SI at least, not sure about JAM and QV.

Edited by trainfan22

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today was hot as hell, anyway I had some time to kill until the sun went down a bit and rode some buses to kill time and cool down. Got on the B25 at almost the first stop and planned to get off at Broadway Junction, which minimized my exposure to any possible F***ery on that route.... and it turned out to be an excellent ride! Bus was fairly empty the whole trip, op drove slow to avoid running hot and STILL traveled from Downtown BK to Broadway Junction in 40 minutes! Smooth sailing. Bus was also a Cuomo New Flyer which had excellent A/C. 

Also if you're fanning on a hot day avoid routes with 40FT diesel Novas, trash A/C and rear seats get hot like they did on Detroit Diesel powered buses. Well in BX and SI at least, not sure about JAM and QV.

I don't see those newer XD40's on that route too often, but I did take 7687 on the B25 a few days ago which did feel special. I usually see the 2009 NG Hybrids or 2015 XD40's taking over.

16 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I have the opposite experience with the 40 ft Novas in terms of AC. The units I’ve ridden have solid AC, unless the driver decides to change the temperature of the AC or whenever the driver leaves most of the windows open. In my opinion, the NG’s have the best air conditioning amongst the active units today.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I don't see those newer XD40's on that route too often, but I did take 7687 on the B25 a few days ago which did feel special. I usually see the 2009 NG Hybrids or 2015 XD40's taking over.

Those newer XD40’s usually be out during the AM/PM rush on the B25, B45, B12. I’ve noticed them more on the B65, B82 and Q24. 

I took a ride on the B35 earlier, and my god was that such a horrible experience. Double parked cars, bikes not paying attention to the rules of the road, bikes with zero lights at night time, someone smoking pot in the back of the bus...

Our bus drivers have to put up with so much, sheesh...